Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 36
  1. #1

    Default "Law & Order" Takes on the Ramsey Case

    The following is from today's New York Post:


    "Law & Order", which will feature Chevy Chase playing a hate-filled Mel Gibson-type character, has now set its sights on the late Patsy Ramsey - with Liza Minnelli in the starring role. Minnelli will guest star on an upcoming episode of "Law & Order: Criminal Intent," titled "Masquerade," as Debby Harner, a former beauty queen whose daughter Ashleigh is found murdered on Halloween night 1992. The case returns to the public spotlight when "a pedophile-in-exile" confesses to the murder. The plot bears a remarkable similarity to the still-unsolved JonBenet Ramsey murder case.




    From me: I wonder what point of view this episode will take? I have stopped watching "L&O" because I think it has gotten too politically correct. But I will definitely watch this one.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The "Beehive State" It's true. Look it up
    Posts
    5,176

    Default

    Thanks for the heads up Carol.

    Does the Law and Order C.I. air tonight?
    tgrif@xmission.com
    FFJ C/O Tricia Griffith
    6300 N Sage Wood Drive
    Suite H #214
    Park City UT
    84098




    I am unaware of anyone who's profited from exploiting the Ramsey murder over a longer period of time, with a greater disregard for the principles of accuracy and fairness, than the production team of Mills and Tracey.They truly do inhabit a different moral universe from real journalists. It's the difference between journalism and propaganda.
    Alan Prendergast,reporter for Westword

  3. #3

    Default

    You're welcome, Tricia.

    "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" is on Tuesday evenings at 9:00 p.m. eastern. The article said only that the Ramsey story will be featured on an upcoming episode. I will keep you posted.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Not Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    840

    Default

    I'll go out on a limb and say the show won't have too many similarities with the Ramsey case. The Ramsey case provides screenwriters with a launching pad from which they can spin a yarn in any direction. The same thing happens with the Jack the Ripper case and The Black Dahlia case.

    Popular opinion about the Ramsey case will suffer with every such production, especially when the theme of sex is blown out of proportion. But sex sells.

  5. #5

    Default

    Somewhere on the other side, Patsy Ramsey is bragging to her new colleague Lizzie Borden that LIZA MINNELLI (Oscar, Tony, Emmy, Grammy) is playing her, while Lizzie only got ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY (several Emmys).

    I will be throwing a party for this one.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    3,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I'll go out on a limb and say the show won't have too many similarities with the Ramsey case. The Ramsey case provides screenwriters with a launching pad from which they can spin a yarn in any direction. The same thing happens with the Jack the Ripper case and The Black Dahlia case.

    Popular opinion about the Ramsey case will suffer with every such production, especially when the theme of sex is blown out of proportion. But sex sells.
    The screenwriters must be capitalizing on the recent Karr fiasco and using it as fodder for their crime treatments. People will not have quite forgotten about Karr, especially if the news keeps returning to it, and will connect the two stories, one true and one fiction. Wait - which one is true and which is fiction??? I'm confused already!

    Heymom :confused:
    "We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." - C.S. Lewis

    MY OPINIONS - DO NOT COPY THEM ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    755

    Default

    This is simply the best casting ever, if only because, at this point, so very many people think that Liza Minelli is a crazy person, not in control of herself, someone with a specific talent but who is also a joke among most of her equals, and that public-relations overlay is going to stick smack dab onto Patsy Ramsey.

    Edited to add: In the Law & Order universe, you do not generally cast someone like Liza without making her the killer. If the Karr-character equivalent were to be the killer, the L&O franchise would have cast a major star in that role, and cast the Patsy-equivalent with a more minor name.

  8. #8

    Default

    That one I might watch. But, as I've mentioned before, "L&O" has gotten on my bad side wrt this case.

    Let's go back in time, to late 1997, to be exact. Jerry Orbach and Ben Bratt were still walking the beat. They did a two-parter with "Homicide: LOTS" about this case.

    Well, about a year ago, they revisited it. (Dennis Farina and Jesse L. Martin were collaring the baddies by then.) Now, the mom was dead (Patsy was still alive in real life) and they catch some fool and he confesses to killing the ersatz JB. BUT, the writers took inspiration from David Westerfield, in that, as in that case, the lawyer asks for a plea, but Sam Waterston says no, and the lawyer shreds the dad on the stand. (His client loses anyway.) (Those of you who remember that after Westerfield was found guilty of killing Danielle Van Dam, it was revealed that he had offered to tell the police where her body was in return for a plea, and they were about to finalize it when her body was found anyway and the plea was null-and-void. Westy's lawyer defended him knowing he was guilty, just like this one did.)

    Never mind that the JB case bears absolutely NO resemblance to the various child-kidnapping-murders that have occurred before and since. Can't they just stick with ONE case?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    3,481

    Default

    OOH, they just re-ran that episode a week or so ago!!! That was some fine acting. I only caught the last part of it and I was actually glad I hadn't seen the entire show, because I know I would have been very emotionally invested in the outcome. I love Sam Waterston.

    Heymom
    "We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." - C.S. Lewis

    MY OPINIONS - DO NOT COPY THEM ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    You're welcome, Tricia.

    "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" is on Tuesday evenings at 9:00 p.m. eastern. The article said only that the Ramsey story will be featured on an upcoming episode. I will keep you posted.
    Please do! I would like to see how they have tackled this episode, Carol, thank
    you!
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wombat
    Somewhere on the other side, Patsy Ramsey is bragging to her new colleague Lizzie Borden that LIZA MINNELLI (Oscar, Tony, Emmy, Grammy) is playing her, while Lizzie only got ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY (several Emmys).

    I will be throwing a party for this one.
    Wombat,

    What are we going to do with you (?). I had a serious face until I hit your post.
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Why_Nut
    This is simply the best casting ever, if only because, at this point, so very many people think that Liza Minelli is a crazy person, not in control of herself, someone with a specific talent but who is also a joke among most of her equals, and that public-relations overlay is going to stick smack dab onto Patsy Ramsey.

    Edited to add: In the Law & Order universe, you do not generally cast someone like Liza without making her the killer. If the Karr-character equivalent were to be the killer, the L&O franchise would have cast a major star in that role, and cast the Patsy-equivalent with a more minor name.
    These casting directors are crafty, Why_Nut, aren't they? They could have opted for a blonde, but they are cashing in on the JonBenét murder. Patsy dark haired, Liza, dark haired etc., No need for all the details; everyone knows them. Strike while the iron is still hot! There might be a lot of truth to what you're saying here (?).
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.



Similar Threads

  1. New Ramsey case novel by Joyce Carol Oates - "My Sister, My Love"
    By koldkase in forum Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: July 21, 2008, 5:32 am, Mon Jul 21 5:32:02 UTC 2008
  2. "South Park," "SNL" & "Mad TV" Ramsey Episodes
    By RiverRat in forum Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: September 2, 2006, 3:54 pm, Sat Sep 2 15:54:35 UTC 2006
  3. Comparison of Patsy's "Ramsey" Autograph With Ransom Note "Ramsey"
    By Cherokee in forum Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: July 7, 2006, 10:52 am, Fri Jul 7 10:52:38 UTC 2006
  4. The "Bonita Papers" - Unedited Notes From Ramsey Case Documents
    By Tricia in forum Evidence Files: Ramsey murder case
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 10, 2004, 1:55 am, Sat Apr 10 1:55:43 UTC 2004

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •