"Law & Order" Takes on the Ramsey Case

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Carol, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Carol

Carol Member

The following is from today's New York Post:

"Law & Order", which will feature Chevy Chase playing a hate-filled Mel Gibson-type character, has now set its sights on the late Patsy Ramsey - with Liza Minnelli in the starring role. Minnelli will guest star on an upcoming episode of "Law & Order: Criminal Intent," titled "Masquerade," as Debby Harner, a former beauty queen whose daughter Ashleigh is found murdered on Halloween night 1992. The case returns to the public spotlight when "a pedophile-in-exile" confesses to the murder. The plot bears a remarkable similarity to the still-unsolved JonBenet Ramsey murder case.

From me: I wonder what point of view this episode will take? I have stopped watching "L&O" because I think it has gotten too politically correct. But I will definitely watch this one.

2. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up Carol.

Does the Law and Order C.I. air tonight?

3. Carol

Carol Member

You're welcome, Tricia.

"Law & Order: Criminal Intent" is on Tuesday evenings at 9:00 p.m. eastern. The article said only that the Ramsey story will be featured on an upcoming episode. I will keep you posted.

4. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

I'll go out on a limb and say the show won't have too many similarities with the Ramsey case. The Ramsey case provides screenwriters with a launching pad from which they can spin a yarn in any direction. The same thing happens with the Jack the Ripper case and The Black Dahlia case.

Popular opinion about the Ramsey case will suffer with every such production, especially when the theme of sex is blown out of proportion. But sex sells.

5. wombat

wombat Member

Somewhere on the other side, Patsy Ramsey is bragging to her new colleague Lizzie Borden that LIZA MINNELLI (Oscar, Tony, Emmy, Grammy) is playing her, while Lizzie only got ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY (several Emmys).

I will be throwing a party for this one.

6. heymom

heymom Member

The screenwriters must be capitalizing on the recent Karr fiasco and using it as fodder for their crime treatments. People will not have quite forgotten about Karr, especially if the news keeps returning to it, and will connect the two stories, one true and one fiction. Wait - which one is true and which is fiction??? I'm confused already!

Heymom :confused:

7. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

This is simply the best casting ever, if only because, at this point, so very many people think that Liza Minelli is a crazy person, not in control of herself, someone with a specific talent but who is also a joke among most of her equals, and that public-relations overlay is going to stick smack dab onto Patsy Ramsey.

Edited to add: In the Law & Order universe, you do not generally cast someone like Liza without making her the killer. If the Karr-character equivalent were to be the killer, the L&O franchise would have cast a major star in that role, and cast the Patsy-equivalent with a more minor name.

8. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

That one I might watch. But, as I've mentioned before, "L&O" has gotten on my bad side wrt this case.

Let's go back in time, to late 1997, to be exact. Jerry Orbach and Ben Bratt were still walking the beat. They did a two-parter with "Homicide: LOTS" about this case.

Well, about a year ago, they revisited it. (Dennis Farina and Jesse L. Martin were collaring the baddies by then.) Now, the mom was dead (Patsy was still alive in real life) and they catch some fool and he confesses to killing the ersatz JB. BUT, the writers took inspiration from David Westerfield, in that, as in that case, the lawyer asks for a plea, but Sam Waterston says no, and the lawyer shreds the dad on the stand. (His client loses anyway.) (Those of you who remember that after Westerfield was found guilty of killing Danielle Van Dam, it was revealed that he had offered to tell the police where her body was in return for a plea, and they were about to finalize it when her body was found anyway and the plea was null-and-void. Westy's lawyer defended him knowing he was guilty, just like this one did.)

Never mind that the JB case bears absolutely NO resemblance to the various child-kidnapping-murders that have occurred before and since. Can't they just stick with ONE case?

9. heymom

heymom Member

OOH, they just re-ran that episode a week or so ago!!! That was some fine acting. I only caught the last part of it and I was actually glad I hadn't seen the entire show, because I know I would have been very emotionally invested in the outcome. I love Sam Waterston.

Heymom

10. Elle

Elle Member

Please do! I would like to see how they have tackled this episode, Carol, thank
    you!

11. Elle

Elle Member

Wombat,

What are we going to do with you (?). I had a serious face until I hit your post. :)

12. Elle

Elle Member

These casting directors are crafty, Why_Nut, aren't they? They could have opted for a blonde, but they are cashing in on the JonBenét murder. Patsy dark haired, Liza, dark haired etc., No need for all the details; everyone knows them. Strike while the iron is still hot! There might be a lot of truth to what you're saying here (?).

13. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

It was on Monday on TNT. My birthday, no less.

14. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Ohh Nooo...I missed it? Did anyone tape it?

15. wombat

wombat Member

Punisher, :baby: Are you legal yet?

16. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

They could cast Anna Nicole Smith as a growed-up version of JonBenet. Ya gotta figure that growing up with a Pasty-type mom would mess ya up twixt the earholes.

... okay ... I deserve it ... :rs: :rs:

...YumYum

17. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

Johnny Knoxville (of JackAss fame) could play Burke ... Rosie O'Donnell or Phil "Big Tat-tas" Mickelson could play Karr ... but who could we find to play the loathsome Prof, Tracey?

Knoxville as Burke:
    [​IMG]

Phil "Juggz" Nippleson as John Karr:
    [​IMG]

...YumYum

18. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

OH nooooooooooo nononononono.

I don't think Patsy is the LEAST bit happy roasting her weenies.

Liza Minelli? A beauty queen? Even "former"? heh

19. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

How about Billy Bob Thornton?

Michael Tracey - Billy Bob with make-up nose & buck teeth implants - Billy Bob Thornton

Attached Files:

20. BluesStrat

BluesStrat BANNED !!!!!

Good job Cherkee! Now lets get Billy Bob to pluck those eyebrows a little bit!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice