Westword: "Tabloid Nation" - Michael Tracey Behaving Badly

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Oct 19, 2006.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Aha......now we are getting down and dirty........which reminds me.....

Tabloid Nation
    Get this: Journalists, and journalism professors, behaving badly.
    By Patricia Calhoun
    http://www.westword.com/Issues/2006-10-19/news/calhoun.html

On Monday night, John Mark Karr faced the camera, wearing only slightly less eye makeup than JonBenét in full pageant regalia, and told Larry King that he was a "very private person."

Attached Files:

2. Thor

Thor Active Member

Thanks Rat, I am going to lunch with the girls in two hours and I hope my appetite returns by then, after seeing this.

3. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

If Tracey thinks this is going away, he's got another think coming.

4. heymom

heymom Member

If JonMark thinks he will ever turn into a woman, he's going to have to get throat surgery. No woman's neck looks like that.

Heymom

5. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

This is great! Hooray for Patricia Calhoun!

And somebody needs to follow the money. Tracey says a "substantial percentage" of the Globe's $100,000 donation/bribe to CU to get Craig Lewis off the hook way back in 2000 went to CU's new Institute for Ethical and Civic Engagement. But the institute's director, Peter Simons, says he hasn't seen the money. Where did it go?

Hey Michael Tracey, is that a wad of cash in your pocket or are you just glad to see us?

Some excerpts from Calhoun's excellent article:

Of course, Karr would never have come out of obscurity at all if not for Michael Tracey, the University of Colorado journalism professor who corresponded with Karr off and on for four years, and whose leading e-mails and phone calls turned out to be Lacy's entire case, as Alan Prendergast laid out in squirm-inducing detail in last week's "Made for Each Other."

[snip]

But the ultimate creator is the tabloid-abhorring professor Tracey.

Karr wasn't shy about offering kind words for his lawyers, including Boulder public defender Seth Temin, who was brought into the case once Karr was transferred here from California -- after his speedy move out of Thailand that Lacy later explained was motivated by concern over his unhealthy interest in a young girl there. "This whole idea that they were concerned he was going to harm a child in Thailand," Temin says. "First, that was not their role." And second, he points out, there was no evidence that he was going to harm a child -- or, in fact, has ever harmed any child.

"I always assumed they had more than they had," Temin says. But what the DA had, it turned out, was just Tracey.

"I think his behavior throughout has been pretty outrageous," Temin continues. "Clearly, this guy courted this longtime relationship...as fodder for whatever Mr. Tracey thinks he's doing."

[snip]

What he thinks he's doing is creating another documentary -- the fourth in his series on JonBenét's murder. And Tuesday night, Tracey himself was back talking with Larry King about the case, and about the media's woeful coverage of the case. It would be a textbook example of what not to do for a CU journalism class -- if that journalism class didn't have so many examples of what not to do in its own department. When Tracey's role in the Karr debacle first broke, I suggested that he was the Ward Churchill of the journalism department.

But that might not have been fair to Churchill

[snip]

Ultimately, Jeffco offered Craig Lewis a novel way to settle the criminal-bribery case: He admitted to "ethical" wrongdoing, and the Globe donated $100,000 to the CU journalism school. "Chump change," Tracey told me at the time. "They could have gotten a million."

Asked this week where the money went, Tracey said he thought a substantial percentage had gone to CU's new Institute for Ethical and Civic Engagement, introduced as a cure for the university's considerable headaches the past few years. But the institute's director hasn't seen the money. "We'd be a hundred thousand dollars better off," Peter Simons says.

Just as the Boulder DA's office would be about $50,000 better off if they'd never heard of John Mark Karr. Never heard from Michael Tracey.

"It bothers me when people try to create a story," says Temin. "When you create news." When you create a suspect.

6. Watching You

Uh oh, conflict of statements. Someone needs to account for the $100 grand that seems to be missing, since Tracey denies knowing much about it as does the Center that Tracey was supposed to head up.

What happened to the money?

7. Elle

Elle Member

Hi Thor, Doesn't this photo at a quick glance remind you of one of those Egyptians with a beard?

8. Watching You

He does look a little like Cleopatra, now that you mention it, Elle.

9. Watching You

LOL, Greenie.

10. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

11. tylin

tylin Banned

:star:
    Greenie,
    THAT's why I love ya. Great work...scarey but great. :rolling: :martini:

12. Elle

Elle Member

Hahahahahahah! Oh Greenleaf, you are priceless!

13. Elle

Elle Member

Hahahahahahaha! Cleopatra with a beard. Hahahaha! between you and greenleaf, I can't type for laughing. :) :) :)

14. Thor

Thor Active Member

Hi Elle!

Oh good God Greenie, that is truly horrifying! The bow is what gets me.

15. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

hahaha Very funny, Greenleaf. Love your illustrations.

16. koldkase

OK, is someone going to account for the missing 100K at the U of Co or not?

I thought I remembered reading that it went to Michael Tracey through the school as well. Which means it could easily have been used for the crocs. You can't make those without money. So either the U of Co financed them or someone else did.

I think it's time the U of Co started looking into where that money went and if they financed the crocs.

If they can't do it, maybe it's time for a lawyer to do so on behalf of those who have been injured by Tracey's accusations in his crocs. If the U of Co financed them, there are some deep pockets.

Oh, I bet Wood is a nervous wreck knowing he can't pick them....

17. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

I couldn't agree more, KK ... 'cept that U of C can't be trusted to investigate themselves.

My suggestion? Get this info into the hands of Dan Caplis and Alan Prendergast. This is importatnt smit, and has to be tracked down. If it can be shown that U of C financed any of the Tracey "crocks", then people like Gigax would have some mighty deep pockets to plumb. Did BArry Hartman play a role in directing those funds? OUCH!

CRANK UP THE EMAIL MACHINE!

...YumYum

18. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Okay, since CU is a public university, shouldn't we be able to access the information? Aren't their financial records supposed to be available to the public?

Hmm. I'm thinking I may have to make a few phone calls.

Would anyone like to join me in this little investigation? It should be fun.

19. koldkase

Yeah, I think that is a good idea. You see, a donation like that to a PUBLIC institution should be in PUBLIC record. The paper trail has to be documented.

When I read the Tom Miller trial transcript, that's one of the issues that Miller's lawyer spoke of in court.

I'm thinking that I read that Tracey got the money indirectly. Perhaps it was that the Institute blahblah was thought to be the means of that happening, since Tracey was the one who headed that at one time, wasn't he? I think that was in Prendergast's article, but I may be mixed up. It's hard to keep all this straight at this point.

The trail of RST scamming just goes on and on and on and on....

20. koldkase

haha They say great minds think alike. Anal retentive minds, too, apparently.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice