Woody speaks; The Ramsey's sell...

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Greenleaf, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

Article published Saturday, October 21, 2006

Attorneys urged to woo public opinion for clients
    Lawyer cleared defendants convicted in media
    Photo
    L. Lin Wood discusses media coverage of Richard Jewell, who was cleared in the bombing at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.
    ( THE BLADE/AMY E. VOIGT )
    Zoom | Photo Reprints

By MARK REITER
    BLADE STAFF WRITER

The high-profile clients of L. Lin Wood are a who's who list of individuals who rose to prominence after they were wrongly accused in the media.

The job of Mr. Wood, an attorney for 29 years, was to win their innocence after they had been convicted in the court of public opinion.

John and the late Patsy Ramsey, who Mr. Wood said were the most convicted individuals in recent history, Richard Jewell, and former U.S. Rep. Gary Condit are among those on the 54-year-old attorney's list of high-profile clients.

"It is important in today's media era for a lawyer to effectively advocate for a client in the court of public opinion," the Atlanta-based lawyer said yesterday prior to speaking to about 75 attorneys and judges at the Inverness Club in West Toledo.

Mr. Wood has earned a national reputation for representing clients in litigation against media organizations.

He and Beth Karas, a Court TV correspondent who provided gavel-to-gavel coverage of the Gerald Robinson trial, were featured speakers at the Toledo Bar Association's annual Kiroff Bench/Bar conference.

In attending the seminar, which is named in honor of late Lucas County Common Pleas Court Judge George Kiroff, the participants gained credit for continuing legal education that is required by the Ohio Supreme Court.

Ms. Karas' remarks squarely addressed issues on the seminar's theme of whether the right of the media to report on trials interferes with an individual's constitutional right to receive a fair trial.

But Mr. Wood strayed from the chosen subject, and instead focused on "talking heads'' and the "media food chain'' of around-the-clock cable news networks that emerged after the O.J. Simpson trial.

"I think we have learned how to be able to try cases despite massive publicity. What we haven't learned to do is how to address the situation where individuals are put on trial, not in the court of law, but in the court of public opinion," he said.

In representing Mr. Jewell, a former security guard who was cleared but originally linked to the bombing of Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park in 1996, Mr. Wood extracted settlements from media outlets, including $500,000 from NBC.

Mr. Wood said Mr. Jewell was a hero who saved the lives of 100 innocent people, but was found guilty in the court of public opinion and will forever be remembered as the person who everyone thought bombed the park.

"He is the poster boy for being falsely accused, when he should be a poster boy for saving the Olympic games," he said.

Contact Mark Reiter at:
    markreiter@theblade.com
    or 419-213-2134.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1211&dept_id=541048&newsid=17355558&PAG=461&rfi=9

From "The Mountain Press" -

October 21, 2006

Real Estate Transfers
    District 6:

John Ramsey and Patsy Ramsey, deceased, to Susan Richardson for $110,000 for .44 acres, Sugar Camp Road.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2006
  2. heymom

heymom Member

What does the statement at the end mean???

3. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

heymom

..."poster boy for saving the Olympic games,"...

What does it mean, you ask?

Beats me. LOL.

:leaf:

4. heymom

heymom Member

No, this one: (Although the poster boy comment is thoroughly weird too.)

From The Mountain Press
    District 6:

John Ramsey and Patsy Ramsey, deceased, to Susan Richardson for $110,000 for .44 acres, Sugar Camp Road.

Heymom

5. Spade

Spade Member

From The Mountain Press
    District 6:

It means that John sold property that had been originally titled to John and Patsy.

6. BluesStrat

BluesStrat BANNED !!!!!

Exactly where is "Sugar Camp Road"?

7. Spade

Spade Member

Tenn.

8. BluesStrat

BluesStrat BANNED !!!!!

It raises a couple of interesting questions:
    Does John need money again?
    Weren't any of his kids interested in that property?
    Why did he wait until after Patsy was dead to sell it?

9. Spade

Spade Member

I agree

1. Let's locate public record on the property
    2. Find out when the Ramsey's bought it and for how much

That information + the timeline should give us more places to look for detail.

10. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

County Number: 078
    County Name: SEVIER
    Tax Year: 2007

Property Location
    Address: SUGAR CAMP CIR 3576

Value Information
    Reappraisal Year: 2006
    Land Mkt Value: $22,300
    Improvement Value: $32,200
    Total Market Appraisal: $54,500
    Assessment %: 25
    Assessment: $13,625

Building Information
    Improvement Type: 01 - SINGLE FAMILY
    Stories: 1
    Base Area Sq. Ft.: 1,344
    Foundation: 02 - CONTINUOUS FOOTING
    Floor System: 01 - SLAB ON GRADE
    Exterior Wall: 07 - CONCRETE BLOCK
    Structural Frame: 00 - NONE
    Roof Framing: 02 - GABLE/HIP
    Roof Cover/Deck: 03 - COMPOSITION SHINGLE
    Cabinet/Millwork: 02 - BELOW AVERAGE
    Floor Finish: 07 - SHEET VINYL
    Interior Finish: 07 - DRYWALL
    Paint/Decor: 03 - AVERAGE
    Heat and A/C: 00 - NONE
    Plumbing Fixtures: 3
    Bath Tile: 00 - NONE
    Electrical: 03 - AVERAGE
    Shape: 01 - RECTANGULAR DESIGN
    Quality: 01 - AVERAGE

Sale
    Date Price
    03/03/2006 $95,000
    Act Yr Built: 1960
    Condition: 1 - NEEDS MINOR REPAIRS

Sounds like a real winner. What were they thinking? Is this where Patsy spent her last days, in a house with below-average cabinetry in a fixer-upper?

11. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Thanks for the information, Why Nut. I knew you'd come through for us. :)

I did a little research and found out where Sugar Camp Circle is in Sevier Co., TN. Just as I thought, it's near Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge where John kept flying his plane before Patsy died according to the flight logs you posted. Tricia had posted that Patsy was staying in the Great Smokey Mountains before her death, and that is where Sugar Camp Circle is located.

Edited to add: Sugar Camp Circle is actually listed as part of the smaller town of Sevierville, not Gatlinburg.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  12. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

I found this November 10, 2005 real estate listing from the Homes & Land Magazine for 3576 Sugar Camp Circle, Sevierville, TN. When you click on the link, it says the house is no longer for sale.

Did the Ramseys buy it before Patsy died so she could stay there and then John sold it after she passed away? Or is this the Ramseys listing the property for sale BEFORE Patsy died, and John only sold it afterwards? Maybe when they found out Patsy's cancer was terminal, they decided to put the property up for sale and had an agreement that they wouldn't close on the house until after Patsy no longer needed it.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache...+"sugar+camp+circle"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Homes For Sale

Minor(!) Fixer-Upper - $114,900

3576 Sugar Camp Circle, Sevierville, 37862

3 BR, 1 BA, 1344 sq ft

SEVIERVILLE HomesAndLand.com (Homes & Land Magazine) Nov 10 2005

13. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

JOhn Ramsey is quite handy though isn't he? I understand he does much of the fixing-up himself (or has done in more recent years). Maybe he's being fixing up houses for profit and intended to do this one up to keep himself occupied whilst Patsy was in Tennessee and decided just to get rid of it when her illness progressed rapidly at the very end?

I know a few people who buy houses and do them up to sell at a profit. It can be quite lucrative.

14. heymom

heymom Member

That's the more likely scenario. The latest term for this is "flipping," where you buy a house that needs work, you put in the work and new fixtures, and make a profit, all done as quickly as you can have it done. He did say in the Hawaii interview that he was doing restoration of houses again. What a come-down that must have been! From a CEO of a billion-dollar company to a home handyman!

Heymom

15. wombat

wombat Member

My heart bleeds for him, heymom.

16. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

Remember when some people mocked Steve Thomas for becoming a carpenter after leaving the BPD? I suspect they have no taste for mocking John now that John has taken the same path.

17. heymom

heymom Member

Yeah, me too. Tiny violins playing "My Heart Bleeds for You," John.

:violin:

18. heymom

heymom Member

Oh, but that's different, Why Nut!! Steve Thomas is just a no-talent stupid NARC officer. John Ramsey is a Golden Boy, everything he touches turns to gold, don'tcha' know?

19. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

If you have GoogleEarth, you can view the property nd the surrounding area via satellite.

Just plug this address in the GoogleEarth "Fly to" search box, and it flies you right there:

3576 Sugar Camp Circle, Sevierville, Tn

If you use the tilt feature, you can see that the lot is in a valley beside a mountain ridge. Here is a GE screen capture I made of the area:

[​IMG]

...YumYum

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2006
  20. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Am I reading that the house had NO HEAT OR AC? AC, ok, but NO HEAT? In the mountains of Tennessee?

It's a CEMENT BLOCK HOUSE?

Vinyl floor covering?

Plumbing fixtures: 3---?

I'm going to take a guess and say either this was a "cabin" getaway in the mountains, or perhaps John was trying to establish residency there to run for office in Tennessee. That's all I can figure. Flipping a house requires a lot of work and you have to be there if you're doing it. Was John living there without putting in heat and AC? Or was he staying with friends while doing the work?

See, you can't make much money off of flipping a house like this. Would it be worth the profit? He owned it for a year, so he paid the mortgage payments during that time. He's losing money every month that goes by, IOW, as that's mostly interest. So I don't see this a a flip.

Wild guess: I know that in DOI, Patsy and John spent time in the mountains of Tenn. or Ga. while waiting to see what the grand jury did. Patsy wrote about the peace they felt there, something like that. Maybe it was just a mountain getaway...?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice