All American dolls

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Amber, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Amber

Amber Member

Can someone just humour me;) Do these dolls have an embossed Mattel symbol on their bodies/head etc?

2. heymom

heymom Member

I think they are called "American Girl" dolls. I don't think they were originally made by Mattel, but I don't know when they were bought by Mattel.

Heymom

3. sue

sue Member

Just agreeing with MlazyV
    We have a number of dolls from the first year to about 1996. At that time, it wasn't part of Mattel, so it would have had no markings other than PLEASANT COMPANY.
    I don't think the later ones say anything about Mattel on them.

One thing I just thought of is that besides the 18 inch tall American Girl dolls, Pleasant Company also makes miniature versions of the dolls. The mini dolls look just like the big ones, but are 6 and 1/2 inches tall.
    Someone had mentioned that the possible doll in the picture of the blanket in the basement looked too small to be an American Girl doll. I don't know if JB even had a mini doll of Molly or if that doll is too small, but thought I would throw the information out.

4. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

sue

I don't think the mini's were being made in 1996.

5. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

Thanks, Mlazy. I was too lazy to check and it's been a few years since my now 21 year old daughter was into the American Girl dolls.

6. sue

sue Member

::yes::
    We were really into the dolls (me too, not just my girls), so I remembered them coming out. They were supposed to be so that the AGOT dolls could have their own AG historic doll.
    Here's a website that shows they came out in 1995.

7. heymom

heymom Member

American Dogs!

Well, we had the DOGS for the American Girls!!! So there. Did y'all even know there were dogs? Edited: They are actually called US Dogs. Since I have 2 boys, and they are both allergic to real animals, we got the stuffed dogs as a substitute. They are no longer made, unfortunately. They had about as many accessories as the dolls. One of the kits for the Samoyed was a little Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses, of all things! I don't think they were actually sanctioned by the doll company - maybe that is why they went out of business.

Here's one on eBay: Sammy

Heymom

8. sue

sue Member

Here's the
    original AG Husky dog. He was available from 1997 to 2000.
    I remember seeing the 'unofficial' ones that you mentioned.

9. Amber

Amber Member

If the doll is a mini one I can almost see what Insight meant - that could be a hand and it could be a ribbon causing the sticking out part of the shadow...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2006
  10. sue

sue Member

Does anyone know offhand what the size of the tape is?
    I think I have read the measurements somewhere, but don't know and don't have time to look.

11. heymom

heymom Member

Oh, ours are SO much better! Their legs are jointed, they have velcro on their tongues so they can carry their little pups or bones or whatever, they have accessories! Much nicer. They each have a name and a collar with a tag. (Gosh, can you tell MOM got into these stuffies???)

Heymom

12. Amber

Amber Member

A quick search on the net :

KURTIS: Dr. Lee, didn't you take a look at some tape in the JonBenet Ramsey case, reexamine it?

LEE: Yes. Yes, I did. Yes.

KURTIS: And there was nothing became of that.

LEE: Well, that's a two-inch tape and it's been used. It's not like the Laci Peterson case, which, as I say, I cannot comment too much on that.

13. tylin

tylin Banned

Well that was as clear as mud.

14. Amber

Amber Member

Do you know what sort of fur? Funny the name being Bennett - do you think it was a little dig at a certain person:))

15. Amber

Amber Member

I think the 2 inches is referring to the width of the tape?

16. heymom

heymom Member

It was probably rabbit fur - that is the most common fur used in that type of thing.

Heymom

17. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

A doggie named BENNET? NOoooooooooo way!

I swear, the name hinkydinkies in this case are so uncanny, I'm almost ready to turn to MIKIE'S way of thinking....

18. sue

sue Member

Yes. I'm sure that's what it is.

19. sue

sue Member

I don't remember the dog being made of real fur and we don't have the dog.
    I know that Samantha had a muff that was made of white rabbit fur and Kirsten had a set of cats that was made of grey, tan and white rabbit fur.

20. heymom

heymom Member

Mlazy said she remembered that the dog's fur was animal fur. I guessed that it might be rabbit since rabbit is used for other similar uses.

I think this is pretty tangential to the JBR discussion anyway, unless that "fur" not found in JBR's hands was from the toy dog that she didn't have.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice