Boulder DA Under Fire ... (from the Boulder Daily Camera)

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Nov 16, 2006.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Slain baby in national news
    Boulder DA under fire for 9-month investigation
    By Christine Reid
    Thursday, November 16, 2006

Boulder County District Attorney Mary Lacy may have thought the days of being hounded by the media were over after clearing John Mark Karr in the murder of JonBenet Ramsey.

But the prosecutor's reprieve was brief: Now she's facing public scrutiny regarding the unsolved death of a 10-week- old Louisville baby.

The death in March of Jason Midyette — which the Boulder County Coroner's Office ruled a homicide — has resulted in no arrests, and now the case has caught the attention of national media outlets, bloggers and Internet sleuths questioning why the case remains unsolved after nine months. A Fox News crew was on Lacy's doorstep last week seeking answers about the case.

Lacy says she's not talking, no matter how much she's criticized, because the investigation remains open.

Jason Midyette died of a closed head injury a week after his parents took him to the emergency room at Boulder Community Hospital. The 8-pound boy suffered from 28 broken bones in various stages of healing, including a skull fracture, doctors reported.

Jason's parents — Alex Midyette, 27, and Molly Midyette, 28 — have declined to talk to police.

Lacy became a regular news bite around the world after her arrest in August of Karr, whose DNA later cleared him of 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey's 1996 slaying in her parents' 15th Street home.

Fox News personalities Bill O'Reilly and Greta Van Susteren, who reported on Karr's arrest, have now picked up on the Midyette case. Wednesday night, O'Reilly's show included commentary regarding the case from Denver radio personality Dan Caplis, whose show over the past two days has been critical of Lacy's treatment of the Midyette case.

Jason Midyette has also become a popular blog subject for online sleuths, who write of conspiracies between police, prosecutors and well-to-do suspects.

Court TV's Web site has received more hits on the Midyette story than any other, according to Chuck Hustmyre, its online reporter covering the case.

One Internet posting board about Jason's death on topix.net asks posters to e-mail Gov. Bill Owens and Colorado Attorney General John Suthers to complain about the case's lack of progress.

Both offices reported Wednesday they had received no such correspondence, but Kristen Holtzman of Suthers' office said she received a call from Fox News.

"That was the first time I had ever heard of this case," she said.

She said the attorney general's criminal justice unit head has a call into Lacy's office to get more information.

Lacy said the Fox reporters who showed up at her home early on Nov. 6 were "quite aggressive," but she insists she has not paid any attention to the Midyette case media coverage.

She declined to say anything about the case.

"I can't comment on a pending investigation," Lacy said. "They can't get to know. ... We just can't (talk)."

Former Adams County District Attorney Bob Grant said prosecutors shouldn't feel pressure because the media is covering a case.

"It never did on me, and I'm sure that's not the motivation in Mary's office," he said.

University of Colorado journalism associate professor Len Ackland said some news outlets exploit criminal cases such as Jason Midyette's death to bolster ratings.

"An informed public is the heart of a democracy. ... But at the same time it has to be real news, not just pumped-up sensationalism," Ackland said. "People have a pretty low opinion of the news media because some of what they get isn't news, it's hyped opinion. We seem to be getting more and more of it, and that's unfortunate."

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2006/nov/16/slain-baby-in-national-news/

2. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

funny how there is ALWAYS someone from the University Of Colorado's Jornalism Dept ready to nay say the media....is that all they teach?? You'd think they'd clean up their own backyard before criticising othres..!!

3. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

You mean, a 10 week old baby's murder isn't "real news"? What does Ackland consider real news, I wonder? A defenseless baby is presented with multiple broken bones, fractured skull, old, healing broken bones, and it isn't "real news"?

It must be something in the Boulder water system.

4. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Yikes,

How can the "parents decline to talk to the police"? Is it the coffe and doughnuts that LE eats and drinks in Boulder that causes this peculiar turn of events? What?

5. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Yeah, didn't you know in Colorado, REAL NEWS is when it snows.

6. koldkase

No one can be compelled to talk to LE in this country. But they can be arrested and made to sit and listen. Or sit and refuse to talk. It counts, believe me, when parents of a murdered child sit in an interrogation room and refuse to talk about how the infant they brought to the hospital died of bludgeoning that started about the time it first went home. A jury would find that very interesting.

Only Lacy isn't ever going to CALL a jury on this case, is she?

So...I guess Lacy is really trying to save LE from dreary tasks when she knows it's a waste of time. If the DA WON'T BRING THE CASE, then why waste time arresting THE PRIME SUSPECTS AND CHARGING THEM?

Dr. Baden said the truth on O'Reilly's show, and it's still true and it's going to BE true in a hundred years: THERE IS INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE THE CHILD WAS MURDERED AND THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO ARREST AND TRY THE PARENTS IN THIS MURDER WITHOUT FURTHER DELAY.

7. Watching You

So, what (who) is Lacy afraid of? Why doesn't she order an arrest warrant?

8. heymom

heymom Member

Or when the Broncos win.

9. heymom

heymom Member

Especially since everyone admits that no one besides the parents had access to Jason. I don't even know if his grandparents or great-grandparents saw him in his short life. The Topix board has posters who state that Alex Midyette had a violent temper. There is adequate reason and evidence to charge, and charge now. Something is going to happen in this case, I just feel it. We may never have Justice for JonBenet, but we are going to have Justice for Jason.

10. koldkase

Yeah, and I just hope part of that something is Mary Lacy is given walking papers. She is truly stupid, incompetent, and corrupt. Alex Hunter trained her well...for child killers, anyway.

11. BluesStrat

BluesStrat BANNED !!!!!

Like the Ramsey case, they don't positively know which of the parents hurt this child. Lacy may be holding off because she wants to a file 1st degree murder charge instead of just 2nd degree or manslaughter.

Lacy's advisors may be telling her "you can't arrest them both, because they will just point the finger at each other and both get off..."

12. koldkase

Well, THAT DIDN'T WORK WITH THE RAMSEYS AND IT WON'T WORK HERE, EITHER!!

Charge the one who was HOME WITH THE BABY DEPENDING ON WHEN THE DOCTORS DETERMINE THE HEAD INJURY OCCURRED.

See, there is MEDICAL EVIDENCE that will support this charge. The mother worked. If she's going to PROTECT HER KILLER HUSBAND, then let her do so IN COURT AND UNDER OATH!!

You see, sometimes things WILL SHAKE OUT if you have an experienced and determined DA WHO WILL DO THE RIGHT THING!!

13. Watching You

I just don't get why the people who pay Lacy's salary; i.e., the taxpayers, aren't up in arms over this. If this happened in our county, and the DA sat on his hands doing nothing, we'd be all over him. We had one case where several high school students, both male and female, kicked and stomped another young man to death. One of those students was the nephew of a U.S. Congressman. The pathologist found that the young man died from someone "sitting on his chest," and therefore, the DA didn't charge any of the students who murdered this kid. BTW, the victim didn't do one damn thing to deserve what he got.

We were outraged. The victim's brother spoke up, and soon there were demonstrations in the city, county, and at the state level. I was part of those demonstrations. I was so furious, I decided to be part of it, also writing a letter to the editor and the governor's office.

The DA knew his arse was grass, so he asked the State Attorney General to become involved. Spitzer, now the governor elect of NYS, ordered a new autopsy, performed by Michael Baden. Baden found that the victim died from multiple trauma to his chest. After that, the State issued arrest warrants. Since no one could actually prove who struck the fatal blow, most of the students pleaded guilty for reduced sentences. One, however, the nephew of the Congressman, decided to go to court. He lost. He served several years in federal prison.

It never would have happened if the taxpayers hadn't swarmed, enmasse, the various branches of NYS government. If this poor baby had been killed in my county, there would have been an arrest by now. I'd have raised holy hell and gathered the natives to do what we did when the young man was kicked to death.

A few years ago, a baby died while under the care of her babysitter. Her mother and grandmother both work with me. I also knew the babysitter. She was stressed out, and she wacked the baby across the head with her hand. The baby died as a result of that wack, and the babysitter is doing a lot of time in the pen.

Boulder residents are responsible for allowing the travesties of justice that have happened in their area. If they would rise up and demand justice for both JBR and this child, they could change history.

Too bad it will never happen. It's called apathy and too much funny tobacco.

14. koldkase

WY, in Boulder, rich people are the rule, not the exception.

In Boulder, the murderous parents have a very rich patriarch who owns a lot of downtown Boulder. That means he holds a lot of leases, influences a lot of political races, has money in advertising in the papers, has contacts in lots of businesses, knows the country clubbers, etc., etc. And if he doesn't, HIS HIGH PAID LAWYERS DO.

It's the very same dynamics as with the Ramseys. As much as I'd like to believe that this time it will be different, YOU WATCH, WATCHING YOU. This baby's killer will get away with it, too.

15. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Exactly.

Boulder doesn't get up in arms about anything unless it's an important cause like protecting the civil rights of a bunch of naked people to run down Pearl Street Mall with pumpkins on their heads. Just try to stop THAT little event, and you'd have Boulderites marching and screaming with an unmatched fury from hell. How dare you take away their right to make idiots of themselves?

But just try to get one person interested in the incomptence and corruption endemic in the Boulder justice and political system, and all you get it yawns. Try to get one of them irate at the fact that child killers are going free in Boulder, and you get indifference. Try to make them care about the fact that Boulder continually has sheltered the wealthy from justice and legal responsibility, and they turn away.

There is something so wrong in that town, and it runs so deep.

16. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

how?

If Alex was the caregiver, how in heck can the mom of this poor baby live with what happened? Maybe he told her he was sorry. That wouldn't be something I could accept. People that say one Ramsey wouldn't protect the other should take a hard look at this case. One parent KNOWS that the other did it. Why aren't they screaming about it from the rooftop?

17. Watching You

Well, I can tell you this much, Texan. If my husband killed my 10 month old baby, he wouldn't live long enough to be arrested. I'd be serving time in prison.

18. heymom

heymom Member

AMEN! And there wouldn't have been enough left to scrape up and bury.

19. heymom

heymom Member

Perhaps she is afraid of him. :ziplip:

20. Amber

Amber Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice