Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Telling

IMO, maybe 'there was nothing new in the idea, it was the reality that was new.'

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberry
    Chapter 3

[snip]

Monica swung the attache case which held her books so that it hit the girls who stood in its path and made them stand back from her. “She’s losing her temper” said Eunice, skipping. Re-enactment “only playing” said Sandy.
    Thanks, Cranberry, for starting this thread and the work you've put in to the synopsis of TPOMJB.

I couldn't help but notice the word "attache" used in the above sentence in addition to the book's reference to correct spelling of the word "possession" (already mentioned). Patsy's indentification with TPOMJB was much more than a mere dramatic reading from its text.

[QUOTE=Paradox]snip Jenny and Sandy have a tea party.

"Sandy's mother backed away bearing Jenny's mother with her. "Let's leave them to themselves," she said. "Just enjoy yourselves, darlings."

Then the girls moved the tea table to the corner of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Thanks, Cranberry, for starting this thread and the work you've put in to the synopsis of TPOMJB.

I couldn't help but notice the word "attache" used in the above sentence in addition to the book's reference to correct spelling of the word "possession" (already mentioned). Patsy's indentification with TPOMJB was much more than a mere dramatic reading from its text.
    Thank you Cherokee. Also interesting that books were kept in the attache case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee

Being a word person Cherokee, you might find this interesting; in the works of Spark that I have read so far she uses the phrase "at this time" or "at that time" repeatedly. It really does stand out.

Cranberry, you will find the play very interesting. The text for Patsy's soliloquey comes from the play, not the book. The scene that I think was portrayed by Patsy is one of the best done by Maggie Smith in the movie, which is a must also. The movie really brings out the importance of the color purple, which you found has a place in Proverbs.

I've read the titles: "Kiss of Death" and "Deadline" attributed to PR's talent portion of Miss WV and Miss America, based on Muriel Spark. Also the HS national program. I'm not sure what the title was for each performance, but it would be interesting to know.

Linda McLean, in her book, says the re-write was titled "Deadline". I remember Patsy said something about death when asked about her pageant performances. But I don't remember the re-write ever having been mentioned as having the title "Kiss of Death".

The "Kiss of Death" is mentioned at the beginning of the 4/97 PR interview, I believe, when they asked her background information. I wonder what scene the kiss was from? There are a few to choose from. Thanks.

I seem to remember the death or kiss of death phrase used as a comment on her anxiety about performing rather than a comment on any one particular performance.

I though "kiss of death" meant that she won the Talent Award at Miss America, and that if you win that, you don't make top ten, like singers or violin players do.

That's very interesting wombat, it makes sense, thanks.

Thank you for the info wombat, I haven't read or heard that before. The transcripts do have typos/errors pop up; it was in quotes so I thought it was the title. That would be a difficult scene to perform, even for a duo actress.

Here it is (from ACandyRose site):
    PR: Yes. I uh, there was some scholarship for winning Miss West Virginia. I can’t remember exactly how much and then at the Miss America pageant I won a non-finalist talent award and I think it was a $2,000 scholarship for that.

TT: I’ve got to ask which talent.

PR: (Laughter) “The Kiss of Death” dramatic dialog.

??: (Laugher)

ST: (Inaudible) Miss Jean Brody.

PR: Your right.

TT; Was that, was that earlier?

PR: “The Pride of Miss Jean Brody.” Well actual. . . no it wasn’t, actually what happened, uh, I did the Miss Jean Brody, I competed in high school with that and uh, placed nationally with it and then I had done that for Miss West Virginia and won with that and then when you go to Miss America you have to do through this.......
    ---------------------------------------------
    'Deadline' is written about in newspaper articles, etc. so maybe it's the title for both?