Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default JC, JustChillun

It does seem as if the entire family expected that they had left for Cape Cod on Friday. Otherwise, someone surely would have been stopping in earlier than Sunday, with all the relatives around.

Too bad. The trail had gone somewhat cold.

However, I remember that Miriam Illes was murdered on a Friday night, not discovered until Sunday, and her killer (her husband) was caught and prosecuted.

And that leads me to another thought: Perhaps the murderer knew of their plans, and that no one would notice their absence until Sunday, giving him plenty of time to get away, establish an alibi, and then seem shocked at the discovery of the bodies.

If so, it was not a random stranger who killed them.

They didn't get to their weekend destination. I don't guess anyone was expecting them on the Cape Cod side.
    This post, unless it is a legal court document, may not be carried in part, or in its entirety to any other discussion forum or bulletin board without the express written consent of the party who wrote it. It is proprietary to the author and to www.forumsforjustice.org. Violators will be reported to their Internet Service Providers.

Default Reward Raised

The reward has been raised to $100,000. The Bradford County Bar Association, of which David Keeffe was president, contributed $50,000 today.

JC, you are probably right that no one was expecting them at the Cape Cod home. I guess it was supposed to be a quiet weekend away, just the two of them.

Seems like all who knew this couple are stumped. They had no known enemies. Nothing was stolen from the house. What could the motive have been?

Default Daughter Speaks Out

WNEP-TV
    Melissa Keeffe talked to Newswatch 16's Jon Meyer about the death of her parents.

Monday, November 27, 6 p.m.
    By Jon Meyer

The murder investigation of prominent attorney David Keeffe and his wife in Bradford County has been intense since their bodies were found last week.

Tuesday the Bradford County Bar Association will hold a news conference about the deaths.

David and Carol Keeffe's daughter, Melissa, moved back to Bradford County four years ago to work with her dad and raise her children near her parents.

Now she is left mourning her mom and dad's death and helping police investigate the double murder.

From now on, the Keeffe home in Athens Township will be known to many as the place where David and Carol Keeffe were killed; gunned down inside their garage. But their daughter Melissa holds on to the memories there, cherishing the time she shared with mom and dad.

"They were wonderful people, not only my parents, and my children's grandparents, but they were friends of ours. I don't know many people who can say they were good friends with their parents," Melissa Keeffe explained.

Her grandfather started the law firm "DeSisti and Keeffe" in 1946. Her dad joined more than 30 years ago. Melissa and her husband returned to be the third generation and to learn from her father.

"He would always do work for free or if he felt someone needed representation and believed in the cause. He grew up Boston Irish-Catholic and had a great heart. If he believed in the cause he would take it on," she said.

While her dad was the public face of the family and the president of the Bradford County Bar Association, mom Carol meant just as much to Melissa.

"She always knew the right thing to do, she always sent the perfect gift, wrote the perfect card, or did the perfect thing. If she were here she'd know exactly how to handle this and I'm trying so hard to do this how my mom would have done it," Melissa said.

Now with a killer still on the loose, Melissa and her family try to push on, and carry on the firm's tradition in Bradford County.

"I know my dad would be here carrying on and doing this and moving on, he'd say you can't live in fear and I can't let who ever did this affect the way he would have wanted us to live, and the way he lived," stressed Melissa.

The DeSisti and Keeffe law firm has upped its reward offer for information leading to an arrest and conviction in this case to $50,000.

Default One Theory

State Police: Keeffe's Were Targeted

Athens Township

Pennsylvania State Police say the murder weapon used to kill a prominent Valley lawyer and his wife, was a shotgun. Investigators are also convinced that the killer, or killers, crossed paths with David and Carol Keeffe at some point in the past.

Word of the murders of the Keeffe's has spread quickly in the Valley. While neighbors formulate their own speculations, state police are working to catch the killer that they feel targeted the Keeffe's from the start.

"You don't expect this to happen here," Ruth Murphy of Athens said. " It's happened other places, far away, but this happening here?"

"It's been suggested that it possibly could've been a client that was disgruntled, that wasn't happy with a case or something?" Alice Bustin of Milan said.

"Yeah, that's what people are wondering," Murphy added. " Because they knew right where they lived, and apparently they knew they couldn't drive in, they had to walk in."

As word of the Keeffe's murder spreads, and all the rumors and speculation that comes with it, Pennsylvania State Police say they wont confirm or deny any of the reports spreading in the community. But they do say the community probably has the answers they need to bring the Keeffe's killer to justice.

"We believe that this was a very specific act, we don't believe that there's a random killer on the loose or anything like that," Lt. Frank Hacken of the Pennsylvania State Police said. "At some point in time we believe the victim and the person or persons involved in this crime have had some type of interaction."

--snip--

"Pennsylvania State Police say they wont confirm or deny any of the reports spreading in the community."

So, were they both shot in the garage or was the wife in the kitchen? Guess they aren't sayin'.

"But they do say the community probably has the answers they need to bring the Keeffe's killer to justice."

It would be foolish to think that someone in his/their position would not have enemies, imho. Nothing was taken, but a part of me thinks it must be about money or some deal gone bad.

Or, here's a wild thought - what if one or the other were having an affair and their "other" got :(:(:(:(y, just did them both in.
    This post, unless it is a legal court document, may not be carried in part, or in its entirety to any other discussion forum or bulletin board without the express written consent of the party who wrote it. It is proprietary to the author and to www.forumsforjustice.org. Violators will be reported to their Internet Service Providers.

Default I don't know, JC.

They were purported to be totally devoted to each other.

It does seem very personal, though. Both were shot twice, in the face, with a shotgun. That's usually a sign that there was a very personal connection--the damage to the face.

If, for some crazy reason, it were a hitman, the wounds would have been different. Revolver shots to the back of the head, maybe.

But who knows???

Default Here's a tidbit...

...about a case David Keeffe was working on:

He was representing the family of one of two truck drivers killed in June floods in southern New York state, according to The Daily Star in Oneonta, N.Y. He had recently filed a wrongful death suit against the New York Department of Transportation on behalf of the family of David Swingle, 42, of Waverly, N.Y. Swingle was killed along with Patrick O'Connell, 55, of Lisbon, Maine, when their trucks fell into a section of Interstate 88 in Sidney, N.Y., on June 28. The road collapsed when a culvert washed out, and defective pavement was deemed the cause, according to the newspaper's online edition Sunday.

Default Did the Keeffes Know Their Killer?

Expert: Keeffes likely knew their killer
    BY LAURA B. WILLIAMS
    STAFF WRITER

11/24/2006

The degree of violence shown in a murder can help authorities determine whether or not the killer knew his or her victim, according to W. Scott Thornsley, Ph.D., associate professor of criminal justice at Mansfield University.

“The more overkill the murder is, the more personal the crime has become for the killer,” Thornsley said.

“Only a small percentage of murders in the United States are carried out by strangers,” he added.

Based off of this assessment, Thornsley said it was likely that the David and Carol Keeffe knew their killers. The Keeffes died of multiple gunshot wounds to the head –– which state police said were inflicted by a shotgun.

“I suspect the local police have already gone through a list of family, friends, business associates, and clients of both parties,” he said.

The police would then interview the individuals on the list “to see if anyone appears to be holding a grudge” against the Keeffes, Thornsley said.

The police will probably use victimology to help identify the murderer, he said.

According to Thornsley, the process of victimology involves examining the life of the victims, including their relationships and financial situation.

©Daily and Sunday Review 2006

Default A Month Has Gone By...

..since the Keeffes were found dead in their home. No new leads have surfaced in the case, despite the $100,000 reward being offered for information on who may have killed them.

It will be a sad Christmas for the Keeffe and DeSisti families. They are in our thoughts and prayers.

The $1,000 donation from Athens Townships general fund will go towards a $50,000 reward already being offered by the Bradford County Bar Association. Keeffe's law firm is offering a separate $50,000 reward, bringing the total to $100,000 for anyone with information leading to an arrest and conviction in this double murder.

If you have any information that may help investigators, you are asked to contact Pennsylvania State Police (570-265-2186), Athens Township Police (570-888-2200), or Pennsylvania Crime Stoppers at 1-800-4PA-TIPS.

How easy would it be for a professional to access them within their home in a way that made it appear that there was no forced entry...and then use the element of surprise to make it look as if there was no struggle. After the first shotgun blast there was no more surprise so the other person would have to have been threatened into place before they received their fatal wound.
    This whole thing is sad.
    I hope to hear of progress made in this case.
    It's all just my opinion. They're like noses-everybody has one.

"Personally, I think lawyers who immerse themselves in themselves are disturbed individuals who need to get a life, and are to be both prayed for and pitied." -quote from The HyperScrubulator, May 25th 2004

Default Article at Crime Library

CL has a well-written piece on the Keeffe murders here:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/ori...e_murders.html

and another one here:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/ori...e_murders.html