Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default A relative did it?

From crimelibrary:

Search Warrants Served in Murders of David and Carol Keeffe

By David Lohr

January 1, 2007

ATHENS, Pa. (Crime Library) — State and local police investigators still won't comment on the investigation into the execution-style murder of David and Carol Keeffe. They also refuse to confirm or deny reports that a relative was involved in the crimes. The only thing that they will say is that they are confident the case will be solved. According to one source, they are being careful to "dot their i's and cross their t's."

On November 17, David, 56, and Carol, 60, were both shot at point-blank range in their garage. According to a source close to the investigation, Carol was shot first from behind, and then David was shot facing his killer. Authorities have not yet released the autopsy report, but according to the death certificates, both David and Carol died as a result of "multiple gunshot wounds to the head."

In an article with The Daily & Sunday Review, W. Scott Thornsley, Ph.D., associate professor of criminal justice at Mansfield University, briefly commented on the murders and was quoted as saying: "the more overkill the murder is, the more personal the crime has become for the killer"

Authorities in New York recently served two search warrants related to this case. According to a source close to the investigation, those warrants were served on a motor vehicle and a house. Items retrieved during the searches have been sent off for lab analysis.

The chief suspect is alleged to be someone close to the family. While the victims did leave behind a vast estate, it is entirely possible the person behind these murders may not directly benefit from the wills. The motive could be unrelated to money or property.

Default Looks Like....

Family to me...With the multiple gunshots to the face and head being "over-kill" and very personal.

The fact that the killer caught the Dr. in the garage just as he was coming home and right before the couple was due to be gone for the weekend, to me indicates knowledge of their plans where the killer has taken the "oportunity" to execute the crime and have time to get away, recover him/herself and create an alibi...

Also the fact that nothing was taken from the home indicates lack of motive for the robber/stranger scenario....

Of course, as Lurker has theorized, it could have been the Dr. and his wife quarelling about one of them having an affair, but from their description -family and community members, this does not seem likely....

I am betting that the police will soon announce a suspect from within their family and are just waiting to make a pretty solid case before announcing it since they are so prominent in that community....

The motive would naturally be inheritance, since both were murdered at the same time....

I am narrowing it down to one of the in-laws as the most likely suspect, unless of course it is one of the couple's children killing out of a jealous rage over perceived misdirected money or affection....

Sad, sad case for this good community-minded couple,
    Voyager

Default Voyager

Thanks for your input. Seems like we are all on the same page with this case.

An arrest should be announced as soon as the forensics are back on the car and the house that the search warrants were issued for.

Wonder who in the family owns an RV?

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"
    FF: WRKJB?

~~~~~~~
    Bloomies underwear model:
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~
    My opinions, nothing more.

OK, googled this up and seems LE might be close to an arrest. I'm wondering who they knew or were related to who lived in NY?

http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/ori...e_murders.html

Authorities Confident An Arrest Will Be Made In The Murders Of David and Carol Keeffe

By David Lohr

January 8, 2007

ATHENS, Pa. (Crime Library) — It has been nearly two months since the murder of David and Carol Keeffe, and there have been no arrests. While investigators remain tight-lipped about the status of the investigation, sources say they are nearing an arrest.

The authorities in New York recently served two search warrants related to this case. According to a source close to the investigation, those warrants were served on a motor vehicle and a house. It has also been alleged that several shotguns were among the items confiscated. Preliminary lab tests have been completed and secondary tests are currently under way.

David and Carol Keefe

Some late-breaking reports, which have not yet been confirmed, say police investigators have drained a pond in Waverly, NY, this past week. The obvious assumption is that they were looking for the murder weapon. What, if anything, was found is unknown and the lead investigator was unavailable for comment.

The chief suspect in this case is alleged to be someone close to the family. While the victims left behind a vast estate, it is entirely possible the person responsible for these murders might not directly benefit from the wills. According to several land deeds filed in Pennsylvania, New York, and Connecticut, David was involved in multiple real estate transactions with members of his family. Court records show some of these properties range in value from hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars. Nonetheless, we cannot say for sure whether these transactions have anything to do with the murders.
    There's a second page repeating the details of the murder at this link, as well.

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

I also found this old article, which may already be on this thread and I forgot it, but it's worth a second look because it mentions some things about David Keeffe being known in New York and a Syracuse sport fan:

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=5706034

"That's the first word that came to my mind. Unbelievable. It's shocking, it's stunning. David and Carol Keeffe were long-time members of the community, great people, real nice family. David Keeffe was a great attorney, well known in the area, not only Bradford County but other counties in Pennsylvania and New York," said friend Joe Landy. "I knew his family. His daughter just came back to practice law with him. He was always very proud of that. My kids are a few years younger than his and we'd compare notes as time went on. It was just a huge blow to the whole community."

"I can't believe it. It's a shame it happened to start with. I've been up here 19 years. The only thing I've seen killed here are deer and rabbits," said neighbor Joe Varner. He and fellow neighbor Dave Vandwark can't stop talking about the double murder.

"Dave Keeffe and Carol were good people and I knew them for that many years. I used to do the lawns up there and stuff," Vandwark said. "It's my estimation they're good people. Those are always the ones that go. The good ones."

There are only a few homes in the rural mountain community. Those who live there got to be close. "Dave and I used to converse about Syracuse and Penn State since he was a Syracuse fan. They used to get heated a bit but I've been winning the battle lately," Varner added.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

Uh oh. Stumbled upon THIS piece, which I also hadn't read and apologize if I missed it here:

http://origin-www.crimelibrary.com/n..._murders2.html

You should go to the webpages because the reporter has done some great sleuthing and has some good pictures of the property of the Keefe's, as well as great info on who lived there.

David & Carol Keeffes' Killer Was Familiar With Difficult Terrain Around Their Home

By David Lohr

advertisement

(Continued)

I also spoke with Deborah L. Barr, Esq., an attorney with the law offices of Daniel J. Barrett. She said David Keeffe was a highly respected attorney, who always fought hard for his clients. She also spoke of Carol's father, Michael DeSisti. She said she was told that Mr. DeSisti never went to law school when he first started out and that he became a lawyer by being an apprentice, which was a custom at the time Michael DeSisti was beginning his career She also mentioned that Mrs. DeSisti is having a difficult time with the death of her daughter and son-in-law. She suffers from Alzheimer's and the family has to keep reminding her of what happened to explain the absences of her loved ones.

David Keefe

After speaking with area residents, I drove up Sayre Hill to get a glimpse of the Keeffes' house. This was easier said than done. Whether it is out of a desire for privacy or simply sheer coincidence, most people on Moore Road do not have a street number or name on their mailbox. So, for someone not familiar with the area, it is difficult to find your way around. I had to rely upon neighbors to point me in the right direction and then when I found the correct address, I was unable to see the house due to the length of the driveway."No Trespassing" signs are posted at the very end which discourage unauthorized access.

Moore Road

I did manage to acquire a satellite image of the property, which gives a clearer picture of where the house is located. The driveway stretches back into the woods for about a mile, where a large steel gate bars entry to persons not permitted on the grounds. Beyond the gate there are three houses. One belonged to David and Carol Keeffe, another to Carol's parents, Michael and Ann DeSisti, and the third to Carol's sister and brother-in-law, Michelle and Thomas Witmer.

Map of Keefe and DiSisti homes

Several sources have told me there are motion detectors along the driveway, so even if someone were to get around the gate, the person would most likely trip a motion sensor on the way up the driveway.

Overhead view of Keefe house

The area surrounding the compound is pretty rugged terrain, so if someone wanted to approach from a direction other than the driveway, he would almost certainly need an all-terrain vehicle. A person could hike up to the family compound, but would be hard pressed to find a parking spot for his vehicle, as there are no pull offs in close proximity. So whoever committed these murders was familiar with the layout.
    There's lots more, but this interested me most, if the "arrest soon" rumors are true, with the New York search warrants:

According to his obituary, David Keeffe is survived by his parents, Paul and Ruth Keeffe of Woburn; his daughter and son-in-law, Melissa Ann Keeffe and Matthew D. Jones of Sayre; his son, David M. Keeffe and fiancé Joanna Kolb of New York City; his brother and sister-in-law, Michael and Colette Keeffe of Maynard; his sister and brother-in-law, Ann and Larry DiPalma of Chelmsford; his brother Kevin Keeffe of Woburn; his sister and brother-in-law, Carol and Paul Hendries of Manchester, N.H.; his sister, Susan Keeffe of Woburn; his brother and sister-in-law, Richard and Beth Keeffe of Saunderstown, R.I. In addition to the relatives mentioned above, Carol is survived by her parents, Michael and Ann DeSisti along with her sister and brother-in-law, Michelle and Thomas Witmer.
    The son living in NYC may or may not have anything to do with the murder, but he's the only one I see in NY.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

Default Draining a pond in Waverly...

They must be looking for the weapon. Finding it will enhance the case against whoever the suspect is.

Waverly is only a few miles away from Athens. That must be where the perp drove to dispose of the weapon; bloody clothes, shoes, etc.

Getting a hold of these items will enhance the prosecutor's case.

There must be evidence in the garage and home. Even if the perp wore gloves, there must have been bloody footprints after a massacre like that.

Also hairs, fibers, etc.

State Police have a suspect; they probably have a motive; now they have to build an airtight case.

PA State Police are the best. They will do it!

I hope so, Lurker.

In reading the article about the security system the Keefe's had on their compound, with even sensor trips on the drive way, in case someone breached the gate security, I wonder if the Keefe's had a system recording all that stuff.

If the system was turned off, then it's pretty clear that it was an insider, unless they found it had been disarmed without the codes.

Why would the Keefe's not notice that, anyway, and just drive on in?

I have to say, that security system was such that it gave me pause. They must have felt like they had a lot of enemies. I'm sure working as a lawyer would suffice to cause that, but still...that's very sophisticated stuff they had. So if they were that cautious, why wouldn't they notice if it was not working when they drove in?

Plus, like the article said, no place to park a car unnoticed. An ATV would have an owner/renter and leave tracks, if brought up rough terrain and parked where the family wouldn't see it.

So it would seem, all in all, the Keeffe's knew their killer.

I've been googling the son and his fiancee's names in New York and I cannot find anything but a triathlon in 2005 that they both competed in, New England, if that's even them. The two in the race were both aged 24 in 2005. I can't find either of them listed in the whitepages.com. I found the fiancee's name listed in a swim meet at Columbia University in 1999, but that may not be her, either. Columbia Univerisity is in NY, though, and the dates seem like they'd fit with the ages of the triathlon Joanna Kolb. Which may not have anything to do with David M. Keeffe and his fiancee Joanna Kolb.

I've hit the proverbial wall.

I sure hope it's not the son, though. That is too cold and hard. But he looks very worried in that picture of him in the article. Like he's not a happy man.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

OK, this is interesting:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/ori...e_murders.html

This Crime Library reporter is good. He talked to the police chief and got some answers. The pond was NOT drained, but "looked at." No arrest is about to be made, as they have a lot of work to do. But the PChief confirms that it was NOT a random killing, that the Keeffe's were targeted for a specific reason.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

KK, there are more covert lists than whitepages.com. My kid that helps her hubby do the PA cop research has found a few with even "unlisted" folks on the sites. She sort of phreaked and got their names removed, then told some of the local narcotics guys that they'd better get their names removed, too. All it takes is the right website. I haven't really asked her for hers, as mine is sufficient (my fave wierd addy website).
    It's all just my opinion. They're like noses-everybody has one.

"Personally, I think lawyers who immerse themselves in themselves are disturbed individuals who need to get a life, and are to be both prayed for and pitied." -quote from The HyperScrubulator, May 25th 2004

Default koldkase, Just Chillun

Any news in this case? I haven't heard anything locally. I guess the State Police want to dot every "i" and cross every "t" before making an arrest.

I have great faith in my State Police and I know they will solve this case.