Possible good news - Barrie Hartman replaced as CU Spokesperson

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Cherokee, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Barrie Hartman retired as editor of the Boulder Daily Camera before joining CU-Boulder. While he was at the Daily Camera, Hartman was instrumental in pushing the lies of Nancy Krebs and the subsequent persecution of Fleet White.

Barrie Hartman is a long-time contributing member of the Ramsey Spin Team, as well as a friend of, and apologist for, Michael Tracey. Barrie's son, Todd Hartman, is a reporter for the Rocky Mountain News, and is also known as a friend Michael Tracey.

Until recently, Barrie Hartman served as interim spokesperson at CU in Boulder. However, CU has now hired someone to fill that position permanently. His name is Bronson Hilliard. We can only hope he is not also a card-carrying member of the RST, and will act ethically in an unbiased manner, unlike his predecessor.

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2006/349.html

Colorado Daily Editor Named CU-Boulder Spokesperson

Oct. 19, 2006

Bronson Hilliard, managing editor of the Colorado Daily, will become director of media relations and spokesperson for the University of Colorado at Boulder on Nov. 6.

Hilliard, 42, was selected from 123 applicants and four finalists. The appointment was made by Richard Porreca, the campus' senior vice chancellor and chief financial officer.

"This is an important appointment for the university," Porreca said. "Our ability to communicate effectively with the media and our constituents is vital to our success as a public-mission university that serves the people of Colorado. We felt it was vitally important to hire someone with the levels of state-based credibility and experience that Bronson is able to bring to this position.

"Bronson's experience with the Colorado media and the University of Colorado will allow him to have an immediate impact on our communications efforts. He brings with him a vast amount of knowledge about the university and the opportunities and challenges it faces," Porreca said.

That knowledge comes from Hilliard's five years of experience leading the news and editorial staff of the Colorado Daily, in which its primary coverage area is the CU-Boulder campus. In addition, Hilliard served six years, from 1994 to 2000, as assistant director of media relations and speechwriter in the CU president's office.

Hilliard replaces Barrie Hartman, who has been serving as interim spokesperson until a permanent replacement could be found for Pauline Hale, who retired Jan. 31. Hale, as executive director of University Communications, served as spokesperson in addition to directing the five divisions of University Communications.

2. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Oh, I doubt this guy will be any better than Hartman. Might be worse. I'm sure they made him take the oath of the Golden Rule: He who has the money rules.

3. sboyd

sboyd Member

I don't think he would be appointed if they could not rely on his letting this case go.

4. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

CU smoke(and mirrors)person.

5. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Who's Next to Go At CU?

Ratboy Tracey?

6. Cherokee

From your mouth to God's ear.

7. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

I find this quote encouraging. From Editor & Publisher:

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/columns/ethics_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003220958

"Michael Tracey did what I hope any good citizen would do," said Barrie Hartman, a spokesperson for the Boulder school and the former editor of The Daily Camera, a local newspaper. "He is a fine example for the students here. Here is a guy who has never given up [in his campaign to clear the Ramsey family]. Someone who picked up the ball and ran with it."

But Bronson Hilliard, the current managing editor of the Colorado Daily, felt that Tracey fumbled that ball -- and is sending the wrong message to his students about how journalists should interact with cops. "Tracey teaches in the journalism school and he should act like one," Hilliard said. "Personally I was uncomfortable about someone who teaches in a journalism school doing what he did."

8. heymom

heymom Member

Not bad, it's a start, but "personally I was uncomfortable" is pretty weak condemnation. He should say, "What he is doing is unethical and I would recommend the university examine his contract closely for violations."

9. Cherokee

And that statement is exactly why Michael Tracey should never ever be used as a consultant on ANY media program (like 48 Hours, the UK docs, etc.) that claims to be professional journalism and purports to tell both sides of the story. Is he is a fine example for CU journalism students, then they are being taught biased, unethical standards of investigation and reporting that include setting an agenda then trying to make the facts fit that agenda while slanting your coverage to to hide the truth.

10. Cherokee

I also find that quote from Hilliard encouraging. At least he went on record publicly against Tracey's biased and unethical actions.

11. heymom

heymom Member

Yes, because that is what journalism now consists of. He is a very fine example of the current standards of the profession.

:curses:

12. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

HAHAHA Cherokee, I thought this was the real press release at first. It really should be ya know!!!

13. Cherokee

Sorry about the confusion, but you're right ... I'd love to see my little Hartman bio printed in a major newspaper. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice