pageant doco "Living Dolls"

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Charlie, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Charlie

Charlie Member

For anyone interested in looking into the pageant culture, HBO did documentary callled Living Dolls: The Making of a Child Beauty Queen (2001) (TV) and it has been posted on Youtube in 9 parts.

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dJ-PvHv1HQ

to see the additional 8 parts, look to the right of the video and they are listed.

2. sboyd

sboyd Member

Charlie: I have seen it. It is very good. These women are just nuts. Going to K-Mart at 12:30 at night (with the children) to get more supplies for the pageant, maxing out their credit cards, several of the little girls obviously DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS, and make it known. To no avail of course.

I think some of the posters who believe Patsy was not depriving JonBenet of her childhood might take a look. But then again, I am not sure, they would agree.

3. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Thanks, Charlie. I may have missed this. Going to check it out before the RST gets it removed. hahaha They HATE the truth out there...ANYWHERE.

I know Miss Patsy and her worshipers love to have people believe that among the unwashed masses, SHE ALONE STOOD LIKE A BEACON OF GENEROSITY AND KINDNESS, WITH NO IMPURE THOUGHTS OF COMPETITION NOR SUPERIORITY.... :angeldev:

[Insert chorus of angels on clouds with harps singing here....]

But I'm an evil old guttah gossip, and when I see pictures of those children posing and strutting around in makeup and hair only a Las Vegas showgirl would wear, even onstage, I just want to smack someone into reality: WAKE-UP! THESE ARE CHILDREN, NOT SYMBOLS OF YOUR TWISTED EGO!

4. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

I could not agree more. Child beauty pageants make me sick. They are psychologically damaging and based on false ideas of self-worth that include outer beauty according to mysogynistic, sexualized and pimped-up standards.

5. heymom

heymom Member

This is so beyond sick. What does this woman expect of her darling little girl? She talks about training horses, well, that is what she's doing to Swan, only with no bit and bridle. That little girl wants to please her mama, so she's going to do just what Mama wants her to. The mom is doing this for her own gratification, and maybe it's a money-making venture eventually.

Something similar happens to little boys who are pushed into soccer too early - their parents think they are going to be the next big star so it's play, play, play, first school, then club, then travel until the boy is so sick of soccer he ends up dropping completely out just about when he could have started to become great, IF he hadn't been pushed.

But that is not based on his APPEARANCE, like these pageants are. What kind of a self do you build upon when it's always been about your face and body?

This is so beyond insanely sick and twisted. I wish I could just reach through the monitor and slap that mom, I do. :banghead: :banghead: Not only did she pick 2 scummy guys for making kids with, she's totally blowing it. "I'm the best dad I know." Bull corn! You are NO DAD AT ALL, you're a GIRL!! Stupid! A Daddy would stop that crap immediately, and scoop little Swan up and tell her she's Daddy's girl and she doesn't have to prance around like that to be the most beautiful girl in the world. She wouldn't need a frickin' tiara if she had a REAL daddy's love - that IS the crown on a little girl's head, her Daddy's love.

6. Cherokee

Well said, Heymom, and absolutely true. Bravo!

7. heymom

heymom Member

Oh my god.

Oh, this mom - she needs help.

"Do you want your star earrings - your "lucky" star earrings?" (Swan says, "No, I don't want them!" quite emphatically!) Mom says, "What happens tonight if you don't wear them and your TEAM LOSES because of it?" Swan again says, "I don't want them!" Mom says, "OK, but if they lose, it's ON YOU. You have a big responsibility, don't you?" After that exchange, Swan almost sighs and says, "I want them," in a resigned, much-too-adult-like tone.

Is this mom CRAZY???? What is she telling that little girl? I tell you what, if Patsy went through this kind of thing with her mother, then she must have been a sick person, a crazy person. Now I can see the foundations of madness in Patsy. Just watch that little girl's face as she realizes there is NO WAY she is going to make Mommy happy.

Also, that "boyfriend" is likely to abuse at least one of those kids, either by molestation or through anger. That is simply fact. And a little girl who has been trained to try to please a demanding adult like this mom would NOT say "No."

8. heymom

heymom Member

Is Robin dead?

one of the comments says this Mom is dead??? Is that true? How and when?

9. Zotto

Zotto FFJ Senior Member

According to the forums discussing Swan, her mother Robin had a heart attack and died in 2003. Then Swan's natural father died fairly recently I think. If the forums are correct, Swan and her younger brother are living with their stepmother now.

I had never seen this documentary before and I sat watching the whole thing last night. I was almost speechless. It was like watching a horror movie. I wanted to cry for all those little girls. Anyone who can say with a straight face that this stuff was "just a few Sunday afternoon's" is delusional.

10. heymom

heymom Member

I simply want to scream! I'm up to Part 3 now and I need a Xanax! It IS like a horror movie. First Robin pushes Swan all the time, then tells her IT'S STUPID when she cries about forgetting one of the routines! The poor little thing has to have a routine for everything or she panics and cries. God forbid she should have emotions like a real child!

Do you know what happened to Bubba and Silva? This family never had a chance in the world, and I pray that Swan and Devon are happy and safe with their stepmother. I'm sorry that Robin died, only for the kids' sake, because it's hard to lose your mother. But what she was doing to them was abuse and neglect. That's the hard truth. They were all screwed up. Hopefully they can and have gone on to a better life by now.

11. heymom

heymom Member

Notice that the moms of these little Baby Ho's are usually FAT and not very pretty??? I think that's a really important factor. It's like, "I will finally be pretty and loved because I have a cute daughter." SICK SICK SICK :hopmad: :curse:

12. Elle

Elle Member

Cherokee,

Are there any cruelty to children's organizations fighting against these child pageants? I'm wondering what the reactions of the Secretary of State, Condaleeza Rice, would be if she saw these (?). These pageants should be banned. Seriously, who could we send them to?

Oh my goodness, Zotto, both of her parents died. How sad.

13. heymom

heymom Member

Did you see that sleazy guy singing to the little girls "You are the love of my life," EWWWWWW. And the mom of the 18-month-old who was all excited b/c her daughter now had hair extensions? This is simply beyond belief!

Then there are the 2 queens - they ought to just go out in drag, it'd be cheaper for them, and a lot less stress on all those little girls. Sick sick sick and twisted.

14. Zotto

Zotto FFJ Senior Member

That guy made me shudder Heymom, singing to the little girls like that. And the hair extensions on that little baby of 18 months...just frightful!

I felt sorry for Swan's older sister too Heymom...she seemed to be a really lovely girl, but there was a sadness about her.

Elle, unfortunately if anyone even tried to ban pageants, I'm sure the civil libertarians would be up in arms. As long as the promoters are making big bucks out of them and flattering and fawning over these mothers who are living vicariously through their kids, they will never stop.

I just don't know at what point these mum's brains tell them it's perfectly OK to judge and pit these little girls against one another with some warped perception of what beautiful is.

:burnedup:

15. Cherokee

I wish. You'd think that child advocates would try to get the pageants stopped because they are solely based on the blatent and demeaning exploitation of innocent children. :mad:

I honestly don't know who would be interested in trying to shut down the pageants, Elle. I'm sure Condoleeza would be disgusted at seeing the "Living Dolls" documentary, but there's not anything she could do about it in her role as Secretary of State. In the US, that office deals with foreign policy issues. Our Attorney General is the one who looks into illegal activity. But the pageants are legal (unfortunately), so there's nothing he could do. As Zotto said, as long as the pageant promoters are making big bucks, and the pageant moms are getting vicarious thrills and validation, the show will go on. :banghead:

16. sue

sue Member

I saw it when it first aired. It was so incredibly sad. Those little girls are so brainwashed that they can't say no - a pediphile's dream even without all the makeup, hair extensions and sexy clothes.

17. Charlie

Charlie Member

my favorite part of the doco is when Swan is playing before the pageant with another little boy who is also a contestent. The interviewer asks her how Swan knows this little boy and she sweetly replies "we bought beenie babies together" it was beyond adorable. I just goes to show these pageants completly miss the wonderful innocent personality of these children completley. If these pageants should exist this is what they should showcase, no makeup no fancy clothes or silly poses, but just showing these kids being kids.

The mothers are all completly screwed up in the head, i would never ever do this to my child, they gain only insecurities from this lifestyle not confidence as Patsy claimed. If parents want their children to have confidence, get them to go fishing with them and teach them to catch a fish and show them how by learning something completley normal can be very rewarding.

I wish pageants could be banned based on the idea that they are very exploitive of children, but as others have pointed out the organisers of pageants only do it for the money. Its like a couple of hundred to enter your child in these things, the organisers would have a good deal with the hotel as they are recruiting the hotel many many guests, so the organisers would have little overhead in the end and would just make a massive profit on the entry fees - sadly its allways about money.

And most of the parents motive is to win cash prizes in effort to gain back what they have spent and also bank more for the next pageant and then the next till they are ideally comming out ahead and making an income out of it.

18. Amber

Amber Member

I'm only 2 mins and 26 seconds in...Swan's mother says

we're gonna take a couple of weeks or months whatever it takes to getTHIS KID ready to go out in the five year old group.

THIS kid? THAT child!

19. Zotto

Zotto FFJ Senior Member

Charlie, I'm not sure they would ever come out ahead. Swan's mother was jubilant when she won the prize money of $2500 (I think it was that), yet she had already spent $70,000 just to win that one "major" prize. The mothers try and outdo each other with outfits etc at the next and the next pageant, so I can't see that they would ever recoup any of the money they invest in it.

20. heymom

heymom Member

Well, the gay guys are making a good living off those moms, aren't they? What a bunch of exploiters! If I never hear "You go, girl!" again, it'll be too soon.

70K would have gone a long way toward helping that family be a little more functional, wouldn't it? What a shame. And all I can pray is that Swan and all her siblings are healthier now that their mother is gone. I have no idea what kind of person Swan's dad was, but I hope their stepmother is good to them. I imagine the grandparents on either side couldn't help...what a sad story. Too bad she wouldn't have had life insurance to provide for the kids...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice