Lacy hopeful Ramsey case will be solved - Boulder Daily Camera

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Dec 23, 2006.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Office hiring an additional investigator after 2006 milestones
    By Christine Reid
    Saturday, December 23, 2006

The 1996 JonBenet Ramsey slaying case is cold by definition because of its advanced age. But after an immensely bright public spotlight shown on it for several years, it had fallen off the public radar — until this year.

JonBenet's mother, Patsy Ramsey, died June 24 at age 49 after a 13-year battle with ovarian cancer.

Two months later, John Mark Karr — a 41-year-old American schoolteacher — was arrested in Bangkok, Thailand, in connection with the 6-year-old's death. He was exonerated because his DNA didn't match crime-scene evidence.

And Tuesday marks one decade since the kindergartner was found beaten and strangled in her parents' 15th Street home.

The milestones have been the catalyst for more tips than the Boulder County District Attorney's Office has seen since taking over the case from the Boulder Police Department in 2002. Hundreds of leads have poured in, said District Attorney Mary Lacy. Some are good and some aren't, but all are welcome by her office.

Hoping that information on the aging case continues to pour in, she asked Boulder County Commissioners earlier this month for $40,000 to hire another investigator next year to help work the case as needed.

In a rare interview about the case this week, Lacy said she still believes it can be solved — most likely with a DNA hit or confession.

"We're as interested as anyone in the public in bringing a child murderer to justice," Lacy said. "I think this is a case where patience will eventually pay off."

Karr's arrest came after he exchanged hundreds of e-mails with University of Colorado professor Michael Tracey detailing the night JonBenet was killed and claiming that he was involved. Tracey turned over the correspondence to Lacy's office, which at the time didn't know Karr's name or whereabouts.

Investigators were able to trace him to Bangkok and quickly seized him and brought him back to Colorado.

"If we get a confession, we have to follow it — any law enforcement agency is going to do that," Lacy said. "You have to eliminate in order to keep going forward."

Even though her office came under harsh criticism because of the arrest, Lacy said she would do the same thing again. And she learned from it.

"The good news about it is we kind of looked at John Mark Karr, although it didn't work out, like a trial run," Lacy said.

In addition to investigating a suspect, her office suddenly was confronted with putting together the 40,000 pages of discovery that would have been needed for trial.

Also, the office was able to work with international, federal and local agencies to make the arrest happen.

"In terms of a learning experience, it was a good experience," Lacy said. "There are a lot of armchair quarterbacks out there who think they'd do something different in my shoes, but not being in my shoes they don't have a clue."

Trip DeMuth, a former Boulder County prosecutor who investigated the case for Lacy's predecessor, said he too thinks the case can be solved.

"Each time you point your ... finger at the wrong guy you diminish your chances of being able to convict the right guy," DeMuth said. "Nonetheless, given what I know about the physical evidence in the case I think it's still solvable."

The fact that a decade has passed since JonBenet was killed is much tougher to believe, he said.

"I hope it's solved before another 10 passes," DeMuth said.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2006/dec/23/lacy-hopeful-ramsxey-case-will-be-solved/

2. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I hardly see how she learned from it if she would do the same thing again.

The good news is that they looked at Karr "like a trial run" and it didn't work out? Whatevah.

3. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

4. heymom

heymom Member

Great post, Barbara! I hate reading these statements by Lacy and Hunter - calling this case, the murder of a child in her own home, "a good ride," "a learning experience." Ha ha for JonBenet, it's really always been about THEM, not her. And no one feels any remorse, guilt, sorrow, dismay, anything for their part in not solving the crime. Just "Well, hey, I did my part and it was fun while it lasted, so don't criticize me until you stand in my Birkenstocks." There are no words for the disgust I feel.

5. Barbara

Absolutely true Heymom :thumbsup:

That sentence is probably the one that can summarize ten years of "investigation" in this case.

Nobody, not even her own parents EVER commented on a poor dead little girl lying in a grave. It was always about THEM. What is really sad is that the only people truly grieving JonBenet and the horrible death she endured are total strangers to her. THAT is really the saddest part of ten years

6. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

does anyone know if Lacey's lobotomy scar is visible ??

7. Barbara

They are carefully hidden behind the curtains!

8. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

YOU WRITE UP ARREST WARRANTS FOR MURDER AS A "TRIAL RUN?!!!!!!" Karr didn't "WORK OUT?!!" You couldn't make this chit up. I am just sitting here with my mouth open.

That is a STUPID, STUPID WOMAN. She and Nifong outta get married and celebrate their incompetence/corruption (whichever it is in either case) together. Celebrate idiocy!

9. tylin

tylin Banned

PATIENCE WILL PAY OFF?!?!?
    :rage:
    Lacy get a clue you moron...this case has gone UNSOLVED for 10 freakin years. How much patience do you need? :curse: :hopmad: :wtf: :404: :moron:

10. BobC

oh what's a decade or two or three? Tylin--you are like so impatient.

11. tylin

tylin Banned

I know. :winkaway:

12. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Somebody stop this woman!

13. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

be lovely to hear someone at a press conference just call her an inept and barefaced liar ...straight up!!

she would have no defence.. she IS !! her own words and actions would be her own downfall should she want to attempt to sue anyone for saying it !!

14. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Well, you see BobC, I guess this is why when I hear about Nifong's incompetence over the Duke case, I hardly notice. After two Boulder D.A.'s who are so corrupt, so blatantly full of pure BS, and so incompetent that they insult the public everytime they try to pass off this ever more absurd crap with a straight face, I am hard to shock anymore.

How on earth can any competent, practicing criminal lawyer say this case could ever be successfully prosecuted now that Patsy Ramsey is dead? I don't care if you match the DNA AND get a confession, the RANSOM NOTE IS GOING TO EQUAL REASONABLE DOUBT ALL DAY LONG--for anyone but Patsy Ramsey, that is.

And I thought in the Hunter article Lacy said she was going to have SIX DETECTIVES next year. Now it's two? And if Tom Bennet is so good, why couldn't HE figure out Karr DIDN'T KNOW THE EVIDENCE when WE COULD? If they TRULY wanted to know the evidence in this case, then they MIGHT come read the forums! I'd put us against them with 10 to 1 odds we'd KICK THEIR BUTTS!

Ho hum, another day in Boulder.

15. BobC

I see the two cases as totally different. I see Lacy as just plain stupid--but Nifong tried to hide exculpatory evidence and that makes him evil IMO. I hope those Lacrosse players make a fortune off this. I actually found myself hoping Lin Wood gets into the picture--and that's saying a lot.

16. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

I see your point, but to date, Lacy has two murdered children notched on her "Gone to Lunch" belt. That's a little more than incompetence in my book.

How sad we're debating which D.A. is more corrupt.

17. Tez

Tez Member

I'm not shocked by this. However, I do think she forgot to add the following:

If the murderer wishes to confess, please call my office to obtain Professor Tracey's eMail address. If your information "jives" with the information that he has regarding JonBenet's murder, he will forward it to John Ramsey. Mr. Ramsey in turn, will decide if you know something about the scene of the crime that only the murderer would know. If so, he will forward the tip to his investigators, who will decide if the information should be forwarded to me. If the information is forwarded to me, I will extradite you back from wherever you are. Yes, you will fly first class, have prawns and champagne on the Boulder County taxpayer's dime. But please hurry, I only have a year or so left in office! (TIC)

This woman has no clue. She is beyond stupid. Does she even have an IQ of room temperature?

18. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Oh Good Grief! Lacy hauls Karr halfway around the world with NO evidence and a screwed up confession and she calls that a 'trial run'?

I thought convicting poor people WITH evidence is a trial run....well then again old hair curtains will do everything in her fading power to put that 40,000 to good use and hire one of John's unemployed friends......
    ....who knows perhaps Tracey has found suspect number 4 and really, really needs this book deal.

Whatever is going on in Lacy's office....justice has nothing to do with it.

Barbara I loved your post above!

19. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

I imagine you're right.

20. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

what a do-do

she says that maybe dna will solve the case but she has already been quoted as saying the dna may not be the murderer's, the defense would have a field day with that comment. And how the heck could they hope to match with someone since there isn't enough markers in the first place?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice