RMN - Pt 3 - The Thomas Factor!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Dec 26, 2006.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Ex-DA 'admired' Ramsey
    Hunter says mother of murder victim 'was a survivor'

By Charlie Brennan, Rocky Mountain News
    December 26, 2006

Alex Hunter was vacationing in Hawaii when he first heard about the murder of JonBenet Ramsey.

He was there again nearly 10 years later when he learned that her mother, Patsy Ramsey, had lost a long battle with cancer.

In his first interview in six years, the former Boulder district attorney voiced sympathy and respect for the woman who many once thought might be indicted, along with her husband, by a grand jury that Hunter led.

"I admired her. My wife is an OB-GYN, so I know something about ovarian cancer. And I know this woman was a survivor several times over," Hunter said.

He added, "As a fellow human being, I empathize and respect deeply that struggle, that she was able to do with her chin high, and manage to be a mother, under the circumstances of this case - which I confess I can't imagine. I cannot imagine how she did that."

Hunter's successor in office, Mary Lacy, raised a few eyebrows by attending Patsy Ramsey's memorial service on June 29 in Roswell, Ga.

Hunter did not. To do so, he felt, might have been awkward. Nonetheless, he said he shared sadness over her death.

"I think when we react to death, I think we probably react similarly, most of us," he said. "We don't like to see people die - unless they're really bad people, and there was no evidence that this was a bad lady."

Hunter, who during his career spoke with far more passion about his concept of justice than he did about conviction rates, added, "I am a person who truly believes there is a presumption of innocence. I don't wink at it. So if I am sincere about that - and some of your readers won't be sure, but that's OK - then she deserves to be acknowledged in a compassionate way at the time of her death."

The elusive hero status

Hunter, who turned 70 Wednesday, understands that his and the Ramseys' names are destined to be intertwined, that his seven terms in office will be remembered most for the murder of a 6-year-old girl on the eve of his final term, and for what he did - and failed to do - in the ensuing four years.

"I'm like a lot of American males, and females, for that matter. I was brought up in a culture that was sort of hero-worshiping. I've always wanted to be a hero. I wanted to save this case. I wanted to solve this case."

Hunter sees ours as a "Vince Lombardi" society in which winning is all that matters. He accepts that, he said, but added that he believes he nevertheless has picked up a few fans, such as Harvard Law School professor Alan Dershowitz.

"He was on (Larry) King, and he said, 'Hunter's my hero,' " Hunter recalled. "And of course what he meant by that is that I'd made a tough call, and a call the public didn't like."

That was Oct. 13, 1999, when Hunter stood before a media throng and said, "We do not have sufficient evidence to warrant the filing of charges against anyone who has been investigated at the present time."

Respecting the secrecy of the grand jury process, Hunter still will say little about what went on during that panel's sessions, which began in September 1998.

"I felt it was a totally successful process," he said. "They operated as grand juries operate, and by that I mean, when they wanted stuff, they got stuff. We gave it to them."

The Thomas factor

Hunter has probably had no stronger critic through his tenure on the case than former Boulder police Detective Steve Thomas.

Thomas, who resigned from the department in summer 1998, has left law enforcement and is building houses with a friend in Australia.

When Thomas resigned, he did so with a blistering eight-page letter in which he put the lack of charges in the case squarely on Hunter's doorstep, accusing the prosecutor and his staff of impeding justice.

Several newspaper editorials echoed Thomas's critique, Hunter recalled, and "cut me below the bellybutton, and side to side."

Thomas wrote a book, published in 2000, in which he underscored his contempt for Hunter's approach to the case and the judicial system.

Hunter, who remembers the Thomas broadsides as "one of the bumps for me in the case," is restrained in talking about them now.

"I think he did what he thought he should do," he said. "He thought he should write a book. I don't think he should have written a book with case file information. I don't think that's something he should have done . . . because these are case-confidential files, and they, to disclose them, can prejudice a case."

Thomas, in an e-mail sent this weekend from Australia, said he doesn't regret writing a book "after it became painfully evident that there was never going to be a filing in this case." He called Hunter's criticism "disingenuous."

The former detective said that Hunter "hosted the Globe tabloid in his office on a fairly regular basis, for example, talking about the case file information to which he refers."

Hunter insists that he never discussed anything of evidentiary value with a tabloid reporter.

Thomas added that he has no doubt Hunter wished for "a proper resolution to this case."

"These cases don't solve themselves, and we just had different ideologies about how hard to push the agenda and pursue the matter properly," he said. "It is unfortunate that his legacy will reflect an absence of duty in this case."

The trouble with statistics

Thomas' book made clear his belief that Patsy Ramsey was responsible for the murder, and attributes that belief to others in his department, up to and including Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner, when Beckner was the detective bureau commander.

Hunter chooses his words carefully in discussing the Ramseys.

"I never saw anything in this investigation that indicated to me they were bad people," he said. "There was no history of abuse, nothing to support (that) this wasn't a loved child, in the evidence that I saw."

Hunter has high praise for former Boulder police chief Tom Koby, but believes that some in Koby's department were overly influenced by FBI profilers, who stressed the likelihood of a family member's involvement in JonBenet's death.

Hunter feels much of the same frustration as others who have watched the case unfold, then unravel, yielding only enduring questions without answers.

Still, he said, "It was a good ride. A good play. I have zero anger at anybody involved in it - even Thomas. And, I'm grateful for that, too, because I think anger can eat us to death.

"And that's sort of where it is."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5237612,00.html

2. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

Oh Good God................MAKE IT STOP! MAKE HIM STOP!

Hunter had no right to feel frustration and yield only questions without answers. He was not fresh out of lawyer school when this happened. He was SUPPOSEDLY an experienced DA and at 60 years old (the time of the murder), he should have had enough knowledge and experience under his belt to manage this case properly. He didn't

No amount of excuses and agonizing from "retirement" will make him be any better of a man or a prosecutor/DA.

He was incompetent
    He was corrupt
    He was whatever Haddon and the Ramseys wanted him to be
    He was a coward
    He was a gossip
    He was unprofessional in the highest sense of the term

He has no credibility as far as I'm concerned

Someone shut this man up before he is next year's Man of the Year :loser:

3. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

Hunter's words and the attitude they portray (or betray) are emblematic of the Strange Boulder Theosophical Culture. This mindset is described as "leftist" or "progressive" as opposed to liberal. It is politically correct groupthink. It is infantile retentive narcissism. This mental process is anti-judgementalism to the point of being void of judgement. This mental process is anti-discrimination to the point of being unable to discern.

This mental process has not made it's way through the problem of discerning Good from Evil. Rather it backs away from dealing with that problem by being anti-dualism. Their holistic, all inclusive philosophy is actually psychologically regressive. They not only cannot tell the difference between nobility and naivete, they go so far as to first adopt naivete and then claim nobility.

The people in Boulder that are infected by this philosophy are westerners in love with eastern thought. They adopt it as a utopian delusion rather than understanding it's reality. As they do this they shadow project onto western thought and demonize it.

Westernism in the figure of Steve Thomas is the bad guy; dualism. The philosophy of pseudo-eastern/holistic/all inclussive unity can be practised by embracing the Ramsey family as a victim of a nebulous undefined boogeyman.

The Culture of Boulder, of which Hunter is a part, elevates themselves by doing this. To ask them to see the Ramseys for what they are, in an effort to find justice for JonBenet, would be asking them to pull the rug out from underneath themselves and ruin their illusion of perfectionsim.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  4. heymom

heymom Member

YES! YES!! YES!!!

That's it, in a nutshell. Hunter thinks of himself as a hero, though he has done nothing heroic. In fact, just the opposite, because he cowered before wealth and false power. "It was a good ride." How dare he say this when a little girl was murdered and her killer got away with it. How can he talk like this when another little baby has been murdered and his killers are also getting away with it?

5. Elle

Elle Member

What a stupid man Alex Hunter is. Had the arrest been made, more of the truth would have come out. They had every right to indict the Ramseys for this crime, with the body being found in their own home. Then they could have taken it from there and found out so much more. Idiot! Will someone please slap him one.

6. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Good god. I have never seen such stupid people in my life. I've seen smarter people with helmets on their heads in institutions.

I personally hold Hunter responsible for burning this case to the ground from day one. He abdicated his responsibilities so he could play nice guy with his hot tub buddies. He buried justice for a murdered child with his own ego and incompetence.

Hunter singlehandedly destroyed the justice system in Boulder, turning the reins of injustice over to his hand-picked follower, Mary Lacy, who has done everything in her power to keep the truth buried, aided by threats and intimidation from Lin Wood and the Ramseys, a joke of an "investigator" in Tom Bennett, and the almost laughable debacle of John Mark Karr.

Hunter is a fool. He may be patting himself on the back, but his place in crime history as selling out a child murder victim is secure.

7. BluesStrat

BluesStrat BANNED !!!!!

Since when is Steve Thomas in Australia?
    He told Boyles when he called in about the Karr fiasco that he was living in Florida.

8. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

What can I say?! He's a man on the move!

9. koldkase

Yeah, and I can't WAIT for the day when Hunter actually says I GAVE LOU SMIT CARTE BLANCHE TO BROADCAST AS PROPAGANDA ALL THE CASE EVIDENCE HE COULD CRAM INTO A POWERPOINT HE CREATED AT THE TAXPAYERS' EXPENSE WHILE HE WAS ON THE DA'S PAYROLL.

There's EVIDENCE PUT INTO THE PUBLIC which Hunter NEVER mentions, isn't it? Thomas didn't put ANY OF THE EVIDENCE IN HIS BOOK WHICH SMIT SPREAD AROUND AS PR SPIN ON NATIONAL TV SO MANY TIMES, I CAN'T COUNT IT.

Disingenuous, INDEED!!

10. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Hunter is trying to cover his lame azz by riding the Ramsey pityparty talk show circuit.

People said Susan Smith was a good mother, and would never hurt her children......

Alex Hunter is a pizz poor excuse for a DA.....why doesn't Hunter tell us about his BUSINESS DEAL WITH THE RAMSEY LAWYERS?

11. heymom

heymom Member

"I think he did what he thought he should do," he said. "He thought he should write a book. I don't think he should have written a book with case file information. I don't think that's something he should have done . . . because these are case-confidential files, and they, to disclose them, can prejudice a case."

Right after this, in the interview, at minute #48.28, Hunter says "I don't think Lou Smit should have gone off with files, even though he had the legal right, because there was a court order saying he could, because these are case confidential files, and they...to disclose them can prejudice a case, and that's something we don't want to do." But otherwise, you would think that Lou Smit hung the moon for Alex Hunter.

12. koldkase

UH...HUNTER NEGLECTS TO MENTION THAT SMIT GOT THAT COURT ORDERED RIGHT BECAUSE HUNTER GAVE IT TO SMIT, CUT A DEAL WITH SMIT THAT HE COULD HAVE THE FARM IF ONLY SMIT PROTECTED WHAT HE KNEW ABOUT HUNTER LEAKING TO THE TABS, AMONG OTHER THINGS SMIT NEVER TOLD US, SINCE HUNTER MADE THE DEAL WITH SMIT. OH, AND ALSO, SMIT GOT TO TESTIFY BEFORE THE GRAND JURY WITH THAT BIASED POWERPOINT THE TAXPAYERS PAID SMIT 60 GRAND TO CREATE!

ARRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH! WHERE'S ME CUTLASS! I'M READY TO WALK SOMEBODY DOWN THE PLANK!! :pirate:

13. heymom

heymom Member

Hunter says he asked Shapiro if he (Hunter) had ever given Shapiro anything that was evidentiary, and Shapiro said that no, he hadn't. So there you are. "Some people" think that Hunter talked to the tabloids, but he can "understand that feeling." Blah blah blah...and the snow keeps falling, as if to cover him over in a blanket of white...

14. heymom

heymom Member

Mike Kane bakes muffins in war room!!!

Did you know that Mike Kane baked muffins in the War Room? According to Alex Hunter, Kane had a propane stove and he made corn muffins, or oatmeal muffins, and everybody sat around and "got on the same page" while Kane's inflatable bed and spices to cook with were there in the same room. Awesome, eh???

15. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Oh, yeah...

...and Jack Daniels was there with Alex every day, too, in the War Room.

16. heymom

heymom Member

No, no, no, Geraldo accused Hunter of being a drunk, but Hunter was not, even if some people might think so, but he understands that, and Geraldo IS A LAWYER and ought to know better, for Pete's sake! Anyway Jack doesn't go down well with oatmeal muffins, you have to slug gin with those, but the corn muffins, those would be OK with Jack.

And they all took naps on the inflatable bed...after they sang "Kum By Yah."

17. koldkase

Hunter apparently never looked at the autopsy photos. Maybe Smit had them when Hunter was looking for them.

Nothing to indicate these were bad parents?

How about a skull cracked in half, sexual molestation, and a garrote around her neck that strangled their child to death?

How about two parents who refused to help LE find the "intruder" and to this day can't say enough bad things about LE, but feel sorry for Karr, who described having oral sex with their murdered child and falsely confessed to murdering her, which can only HURT the case, IF you care about it being solved, that is.

How about parents who state that they are FINE with the killer NOT BEING CAUGHT?

How about parents who ran away and deserted their child's body and refused to witness for her when LE needed them desperately to hunt for the killer?

How about parents who dyed and teased a five year old's hair, with hair extensions, put her through grueling photo shoots, costume fittings, dance and singing lessons, "for a few Sunday afternoons"?

How about parents who never talk about how the evil killer made JonBenet suffer, only about THEIR SUFFERING--AT THE HANDS OF LE AND THE MEDIA?! BOOO HOOO

How about parents who lied to LE over and over when they finally DID talk to them, months and then years later, with CONDITIONS, of course?

How about parents who hired lawyers and make excuses about abandoning their child in her greatest hour of need?

Yeah, such GREAT parents! No wonder Hunter admires Patsy Ramsey: she was able to seduce grisly old detectives and deluded old journalism professors and D.A.s into protecting her, along with her WORLD-CLASS detectives and lawyers. Hunter would admire anyone who helped him have "a good ride" at the expense of a murdered child, apparently.

And Hunter admires Patsy because she was a "survivor"? Like the Ramseys, HUNTER NEVER SEEMS TO REMEMBER MUCH ABOUT JONBENET, DOES HE? No, it's ALL ABOUT HIM AND PATSY! La di da!

TOO BAD JONBENET DIDN'T GET TO BE A SURVIVOR!

18. heymom

heymom Member

Amen, post of the day!!!

Yes, too bad for JonBenet, isn't it? She's only a "case" now, a "teaching case." "A good ride, a good play." So sickening. So horribly sad.

19. tylin

tylin Banned

YOU GO KK!!! Shout it from the mountains. :highfive: :toast: :yay: :gavel:

20. tylin

tylin Banned

I say it's post of the year! ;) :curtsey:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice