Westword's Hall of Shame

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Sabrina, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

http://www.westword.com/Issues/2006-12-28/news/news2.html

4-2. (Three-way tie) JOHN MARK KARR, MICHAEL TRACEY and

MARY LACY

Occupations: Pathological liar, pseudo-sleuth and ersatz prosecutor, respectively.

Offense: Pretending to conduct a murder investigation.

These three are a package deal. No single phony could have brought the Ramsey case back into the headlines like this. It took John Mark Karr, Michael Tracey and Mary Lacy -- all pursuing separate agendas yet remarkably in step, like synchronized swimmers -- to turn Boulder into a global joke once more.

Welcome to the 2006 Hall of Shame.
    By Alan Prendergast
    Article Published Dec 28, 2006

The first essential ingredient in this steamy crock of bad karma is Karr, a man of many personae, an exotic herb amid the ditchweed. Alias Daxis. Boasts of intimate relations with young girls that may or may not have occurred. Known to chatter on about his "female side," perform Katharine Hepburn impersonations and express interest in sex-change surgery. Obsessed with the murder of JonBenét Ramsey to the point of composing an elaborate confession to the crime that manages to be implausible, repellent and twee all at the same time.

Next, add a few foamy pints of Tracey, the University of Colorado journalism professor who rose from academic obscurity to cable-show notoriety on the strength of his involvement in a series of slipshod documentaries about the case, defending JonBenét's parents and serving up other suspects. Always on the lookout for fresh fall guys, Tracey is approached by Karr online in the guise of Daxis. Just as eager to play dress-up, Tracey pretends to befriend the poor bugger.

Over the course of many months, the fake killer and his fake friend whip the fake confession into shape; Tracey supplies Karr with key details that fill in some of the gaps in his story. At the same time, Tracey helps detectives track down Karr so they can arrest him in Thailand and fly him back to Boulder, thereby helping the cause of justice itself -- not to mention the cause of the inevitable documentary to follow. Such a helpful fellow!

But the international uproar over Karr's arrest wouldn't have been possible without that vital third component, a dash of extra-thick District Attorney Lacy. She inherited the Ramsey mess from her predecessor but soon managed to simplify matters by publicly declaring that the most likely suspect was an intruder. Undeterred by the inconsistencies in Karr's story or Tracey's role in the whole business, Lacy went after Karr like Ignatz after Krazy Kat, brick in hand.

His DNA no match for the evidence, Karr is now a free man, famous for what he did not do. In their latest documentary, Tracey and producer David Mills are still pushing Karr as some kind of behind-the-scenes accomplice to the real killer. The bogus investigation cost Boulder at least $35,000 in real money and precious shreds of its criminal-justice system's tattered credibility, but Lacy soldiers on. "I feel bad for a community that questions what we did," she told reporters in August, defending the arrest.

Yeah, but we feel worse.

2. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

What a Combo!

Mr. Prendergrast has ended his year as JonBenet's newest hero, not bad for a newbie!

Thanks, Sabrina!

3. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

how much media momentum...and public ridicule does Owens stand before acting ??

4. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

Owens won't do anything, he retires next week I think it is.

I love this part of Alan's article:

Over the course of many months, the fake killer and his fake friend whip the fake confession into shape; Tracey supplies Karr with key details that fill in some of the gaps in his story. At the same time, Tracey helps detectives track down Karr so they can arrest him in Thailand and fly him back to Boulder, thereby helping the cause of justice itself -- not to mention the cause of the inevitable documentary to follow. Such a helpful fellow!

5. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

See ya point... does Ritter have a backbone ?? is he likely to want to make an example of previous incompetances ?? is he pro Lacy or agin her ??

6. heymom

heymom Member

He uses the word "twee." I wonder if he's got a British background.

7. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

I LOVE THAT! You go Alan!

Maybe he thinks he's Dick Tracey. Or maybe he's just a Dick..........oh never mind , pass my pipe :hiya: :2cents: :aprop: :hypno:

8. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Prendergast is a master wordsmith and his use of the word "twee" borders on the poetic.

Eloquence excites me in the way that music excites others. There are films and tv plays which I watch over and over just to savour the clever use of language.

I think Prendergast could write for TV or radio.

9. heymom

heymom Member

I completely agree, the usage is beautiful and unusual - it's not a word in the normal American lexicon. But I would not recommend he go into TV or radio, since that means considerable dumbing-down of his writing.

10. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... someday Prendergast will win a Pulitzer. His writing is absolutely superb. My hope is that he will one day write the definitive book on the Ramsey case, exposing all the lies and incestous corruption that were attendant from Day One. There will never be a trial, and with Patsy dead, now is the time for the truth to come out and lay to rest the sham of "continuing investigation" by the Boulder clowns. They can quit playing pretend and wasting money to find an intruder that never existed.

I could highlight everything in this article. Every word and phrase is a keeper. "The fake killer and his fake friend whip the fake confession into shape" and "a dash of extra-thick District Attorney Lacy" who was "undeterred by the inconsistencies in Karr's story or Tracey's role in the whole business." She "went after Karr like Ignatz after Krazy Kat, brick in hand." What an image. What a cabal of pretentious, lying fools.

Prendergast's next-to-last sentence states exactly what I said in a previous post and Hunter, Smit, Lacy, et al and how they have helped bury the truth and destroyed any chance of justice in the Ramsey case because of their feelings.

"I feel bad for a community that questions what we did," she [Lacy] told reporters in August, defending the arrest. Lacy feels bad for us. She pities us that we do suscribe to her self-perceived wisdom. What arrogance. Lacy told us to have sympathy and feel for the Ramseys. She wanted us to feel their pain when according to the evidence, they are the main suspects. What idiocy.

The whole thing makes me feel sick.

11. Jayelles

Not necessarily. The very best dramas and sitcoms are deliciously clever.

Alan Prendergast's writing excites me in the same way as that of Alan Aykbourn, David Renwick, PD James and Colin Dexter.

12. heymom

heymom Member

Now that I see that phrase you highlighted, "a dash of extra-thick District Attorney Lacy," I am almost certain that Alan is either from the UK or has current ties. "Thick" in the UK means dense, stupid, as I'm sure you know. So that phrase is a double-entendre, and well-put indeed. Along with the unusual word choice of "twee," this points to someone who is tapping into a different word cabinet, as it were.

I wonder if I can find any background on Alan...

This is someone I could support for a Pulitzer. (as if my paltry opinion counts...)

13. heymom

heymom Member

The very best ENGLISH dramas and sitcoms are deliciously clever, you mean. Over here, we have banal and idiotic et al., I'm afraid.

14. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

I meant to add to my previous post ...

Where is the thinking? Deductive reasoning? The analysis of evidence leading to a logical conclusion?

Boulder turns a blind eye to thought in favor of New Age gushy feeling. They make their judgements based on emotion, not fact. No wonder the Ramsey case hasn't been "solved" in ten years. When you refuse to look at the truth in front of you because of feelings, you will see nothing and die in ignorance.

15. Jayelles

ENGLISH??????

splutter%$£^£!"&%$*&^%*&(

16. heymom

heymom Member

Woopsie! Uh...how can I fix this now??? Oreos?? More crack???

:ziplip: :foot:

The best UK dramas and sitcoms?

17. Jayelles

I wish he would write a book to debunk all the myths and expose the injustices. There's a market for a really good and up-to-date book about the case. OR - what about a really good documentary about the case? I'm sure the script for that would be a piece of cake to someone with Alan's gift.

18. Jayelles

Too late. This is Jayelles' family representative posting. She exploded about ten minutes ago and is no more. Will advise about obsequies after we've finished scraping bits of her off the ceiling, dogs and monitor.

19. heymom

heymom Member

:floor: :floor: :floor:

Here's me and the Alert Viewer in Scotland... :bigstick: Guess which is which!

:viking: I know some inhabitants of the UK originally came from Norway...

20. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Every single word.....divine!

Alan I want to have your baby!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice