"Mothers Who Kill" Tonight 9 pm EST

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by koldkase, Jan 3, 2007.

1. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

The name of the series is "Notorious" it appears. It's on the Biography Channel, which I guess you have to have the fancy cable set up, as the channel is 129 here.

They showed pictures of Andrea Yates, Susan Smith, and some other woman I didn't recognize.

Might be interesting. Just a heads up.

OK, found this:

http://www.biography.com/notorious/not_episode_guide.jsp?episode=168848

Also, while googling this, I see there is a Biography Channel for Canada and another for Australia. So maybe if you live in those countries you can google it up and see when it might be on for you.

2. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

For those in NYC, it is on channel 160 (Cablevision) at 9 pm

Just check your local biography channel and it comes right up

Thanks KK

3. koldkase

Bump for those just checking in.

4. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

Give me a heads up when they have a segment on groups of individuals that kill.

5. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

hahahahahaha.....

Diane Downs was an interesting case...killed one daughter and wounded another daughter and paralysed her toddler boy. Downs is in prison.

Blamed it on a shaggy haired stranger who tried to take her car...said he reached in and starting shooting the kids...Downs had a shot in her arm...the oldest surviving daughter testified against her mother....was very traumatic.

Ann Rule wrote the book, 'Small Sacrifices' about Downs.

6. tylin

tylin Banned

Thanks for the heads up. Now if I can just stay awake for another hour. :fingers:

7. koldkase

OK, I took a few notes. It was an interesting show. There were differing opinions on the four women's cases presented, of course, about their psychological mindset, but I did learn something. I kept wishing Paradox was watching, but here's the gist of it:

The show highlighted four cases of mothers who kill their children: Andrea Yates, which everyone pretty well knows how that whole case went down; Susan Smith, ditto; and two other cases I hadn't heard of before, one a young hispanic mother in Florida who killed her baby girl, and one a mother who drugged and smothered her 3 children, can't remember where this one happened.

The show listed several categories of mothers who kill:

1. Altruistic: almost half of mothers who kill fall into this category, thinking they're doing their child/children a favor by killing them. Yates fell into this category. I think of Patsy on CNN staying that JonBenet will never know cancer, losing a child....

2. Spousal revenge/Medea complex: these mothers murder their children out of spite when they feel rejected or wronged by their spouse/the children's father. The mother who drugged and smothered her three children fell into this category, as she had forced her husband into a divorce and then got angry when he took a girlfriend and wouldn't get back together with the mother.

3. Acutely psychotic: the mother actually doesn't even realize she's harming the child because she's in a delusional state. They didn't have a case to demonstrate this, only mentioned it briefly.

4. Fatal maltreatment: Munchausen's by Proxy would fall into this category, or shaken baby syndrome.

5. Unwanted child syndrome: the child is a nuisance to the mother, restricts her goals or freedom. Susan Smith fell into this category, though the psychiatrist speaking and the DA who prosecuted Smith differed on this, as the doctor said Smith fell into the "altruistic" category, but the D.A. said she simply wanted the rich man who didn't want her children, so she offed them with premeditation and purpose. (I agree with the D.A. by the way.)

I noticed the psychiatrist seemed to have more sympathy for the mothers/child killers, usually focusing on her mental problems and not on her deeds. I have no sympathy for these mothers, I don't care how many sick reasons they give for what they do. Every single one of them knew they were breaking the law, therefore that they were illegally murdering, and the fact that their victims were their children makes it WORSE in my mind, not more reasonable. If they went out and murdered a stranger in the same way, there'd be NO problem convicting and condemning them for their crimes. Why murdering their own children makes it somehow less than cold-blooded murder to some, I have no idea. Andrea Yates will now be treated, forced to take her meds, and she'll be out having more babies if they release her. And for those who don't think that will happen, it happened last year with another STILL YOUNG mother who murdered her children and then was released within a couple of years from the mental hospital where she'd been sent as "insane." People were outraged. Me, too.

The psychiatrist doing most of the talking was Dr. Phillip Resnick, who has spent 4 decades studying these types of cases, it was said.

The only other thing of note that I can think of, which interested me because some details about Susan Smith's life I had never heard before, is that Susan Smith's mother knew about her step-father molesting her from the age of 16 and had told Susan she would not leave the step-father. Susan also continued to have sex with her step-father into adulthood, even having sex with him not long before she murdered her children. Susan also had told her boss, the bachelor she slept with and who rejected her, that she had slept with his father, as well.

Oh, another interesting thing was that each of these mothers was on some kind of drug therapy at the time of the murders. It was mentioned that they all had some kind of trauma in their lives prior to murdering their children: Susan had attempted suicide several times in her teen years and was rejected by her boss shortly before her murders; the mother of three was described by all neighbors and friends as a wonderful, devoted mother, but was known to be controlling and prior to her murders, was depressed and regretting her decision to push her husband out of her life when she saw him in another relationship; Andrea Yates had serious mental illness from post partum depression after her 5th child was born six months before she murdered; the young Florida mother had been hospitalized in her teens with mental illness and was a single mom who claims she was hallucinating, but she took illegal drugs, as well as prescription drugs.

I don't know if any of this relates to JonBenet's murder and Patsy, but maybe Paradox does. I do wonder if Patsy's cancer and treatments, plus turning 40, could have been her stressors, especially if she found out shortly before Christmas a male in her family was molesting JonBenet. If Patsy herself had a history of such abuse, it might have caused her to snap. Those 3 calls to Dr. Beuf's office on Dec. 17, plus the evidence of prior vaginal injury to JonBenet at autopsy, will always be significant clues to me.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  8. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

I'd say Patsy was Munchausen by Proxy with a little psychotic thrown in the mix.

The boss Susan Smith had the affair was a young man who didn't want to be tied down with kids and rejected Susan....he was a significant trigger when Susan let her kids drive into the water and drown.

9. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

I've always thought that there were some secrets that will never be heard regarding Don Paugh and his daughters....and I bet Nedra knew!

Just my own gut feeling.

He's one of the "hinky" people on my meter.

10. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I missed the show. I wonder if the mother who smothered her kids was the one that happened around here?

Mother 'deeply sorry' after three children found smothered
    Last Updated: Sunday, January 29, 2006 | 6:08 PM ET
    CBC News
    A mother accused of smothering her three young children in southwest Arkansas feels "tremendous remorse," a family priest says.
    Paula Eleazar Mendez, 43, was in jail on Sunday evening after being treated at a hospital for swallowing a toxic substance.
    Police went to her house in De Queen on Saturday morning after getting a call from the children's father in New York. He said his wife telephoned him to say she had killed the children.
    http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/01/29/children-deaths060129.html

11. koldkase

It was Marilyn Lemak, JC. I looked it up and here's a good article on the murder and verdict.

http://www.brandonshouse.org/Articles/Lemak-3-4-99.htm

And here's an article that is heartbreaking to read, but discusses some of the murders of children by parents in our society. I'm going to post it in case it gets taken down:

http://www.brandonshouse.org/Articles/Lemak-3-4-99.htm

12. koldkase

(And thank heavens you know how to spell! I forgot to look Munchausen's up, but I knew I was wrong. :computer: )

The DA in S.C. who prosecuted Smith said that in order to save herself and her two children, all she had to do was pull up the handbreak. Instead, she opened the door, got out of the car, closed the door, and watched it roll into the lake with the babies inside.

No H e l l H O T enough....

13. Paradox

There was a recent find in LaVenta Canyon, Mexico of a cave in which there were the burried remains of children who had had their heads removed, the base of their skull widened for easy extraction of the brain for ritual meals.

Oh, the humanity!

14. koldkase

Nice. Makes one not worry quite so much about the human race becoming extinct. Maybe the next dominant species will have a higher moral calling than us lowlifes.... :confused:

15. Paradox

But somehow Patsy gets a pass for being able to snuff a kid. John had to be involved, it had to be an accident, it had to be an intruder, Burke did it, ad nauseum. But not Miss West V. with the pepsodent smile.

My candidate for the next run at evolutionary advancement is the meerkats. They kill their own too.

16. heymom

heymom Member

Take the boat out
    Wait until darkness
    Let's take the boat out
    Wait until darkness comes

17. Paradox

Open up your fruitcage.

18. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

Are ya'll speaking english?

19. heymom

heymom Member

Yeah, it's just Peter Gabriel lyrics. Paradox's signature includes a line from "Mercy Street," by Peter Gabriel (ex-Genesis) which is a tribute to Anne Sexton, probably one of the finest poets of all time, and a personal favorite of mine. She committed suicide, a very troubled soul.

20. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice