Psychics shed a little light

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Jan 9, 2007.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Homicide investigator Charlie McCormick had his doubts.

Two psychics wanted to come to Park County, visit the spots where two young women were killed 25 years ago and possibly shed some paranormal light on the unsolved double homicide — all with television cameras rolling for a new Discovery Channel program called “Sensing Murder.â€

“I was skeptical,†said Mc-Cormick, a member of the task force investigating the 1982 deaths of Bobbie Jo Oberholtzer and Annette Schnee.

But he and other investigators also were willing. When it comes to cases gone cold years ago, publicity never hurts. National exposure, he figured, might shake loose someone’s memory or conscience.

The unusual collaboration produced a half-dozen leads and new suspects in the case whose resolution has long eluded the mountain community spanning Park and Summit counties. The show first aired last fall and has rerun a couple of times.

“They came up with a number of things we’d be remiss not to follow up on, regardless of the source,†McCormick said.

Oberholtzer, 29, and Schnee, 21, disappeared a quarter of a century ago today — Jan. 6, 1982 — from the Breckenridge area as they hitchhiked separately. Oberholtzer’s body was found the next day on Hoosier Pass. She had been shot twice, apparently as she tried to flee.

Schnee’s body was found six months later near Fairplay. She, too, had been shot, and investigators think she may have been raped.

Their deaths weren’t linked until then. An orange bootie on Schnee’s foot matched one found at the Oberholtzer crime scene.

It was a tough case from the beginning, said McCormick, a retired Denver detective, although investigators had no dearth of leads.

Two suspects, men living in the area at the time, have since been convicted of murder in other cases. But the DNA taken from blood on Oberholtzer’s glove did not belong to either of them.

In 2006, Discovery Channel producers said they wanted to feature the case on a new program in which two psychics seek to help solve old cases.

While psychics often volunteer their services for victims’ families, law enforcement officials don’t generally seek them out. But McCormick and other task force members were willing to give it a shot, and the families approved.

“Anything will help,†said Eileen Franklin, Schnee’s mother, who lives in Florida.

While some criticize psychics as giving families false hope, she says she disagrees. “They’re not hurting me any. I believe in them to some extent,†she said.

Jeff Oberholtzer, Bobbie Jo’s widower, took a pragmatic view of the matter.

“Any exposure is important,†he said. “It gets colder and colder as time goes by.â€

When psychics Laurie Campbell and Pam Coronado arrived in May, they had no information about the case, Coronado said.

Coronado met with McCormick while Campbell spoke with former Colorado Bureau of Investigation agent Jim Hardtke. “We just asked them to give us their impressions,†McCormick said.

Both intuited that a young woman was shot in a remote area, although Coronado felt the weather was warm. “It was 22 below,†McCormick said. “She was way off on that.â€

Taken to where Schnee was found, both women felt she didn’t die there. Coronado led investigators to an area three miles away where she felt the shooting occurred. Investigators later dug at the site, but found nothing.

The psychics don’t claim they’ll be able to produce a name or address, she said, just their impressions.

“I read the energy of a crime scene,†Coronado said. Even years later, that energy remains, she said.

Coronado said she sensed that Oberholtzer was familiar with her killer. “I went into great detail about how Bobbie Jo was found and some of the things that transpired in her last moments,†she said, without elaborating.

McCormick said one of those details astounded him. He said it was a fact only the killer and those at the crime scene would have known and which has not been publicized.

While it’s possible that the show’s staff tracked down people who were at the scene, Mc-Cormick said that was unlikely. “We’d probably hear about it,†he said. “It’s a small community.â€

The psychics also came up separately with the same name for a suspect. The name has come up before, McCormick said, but has not been publicized.

All in all, he said, the show led to a fresh list of about six suspects — new people and people who were previously investigated.

“There are leads that are viable,†he said. “Any investigator would be remiss not to follow up on them.â€

McCormick said that over the years, other psychics have volunteered their take on what happened. But this encounter, he said, left him with a positive impression of the pair.

“These women were totally different,†he said. “These two women are good.â€

Changing detectives’ minds is “the most rewarding thing about the show,†Coronado said.

“The detectives sign on because they’re thinking about the national exposure,†she said. “It’s fun to get their attention. They turn around and start paying attention.â€

She said their involvement has produced some new leads in other cases featured on the show. “Sensing Murder†did a segment on the 1997 slaying of University of Colorado student Susannah Chase; Coronado said police invited her to return and consult on that case and possibly the JonBenet Ramsey case. ::shocked2

Franklin and Jeff Oberholtzer said they just hope the new leads bring the arrest they’ve awaited for 25 years.

“I can always be hopeful,†said Jeff Oberholtzer, who still lives in Alma. “Over time, I’ve become numb to a lot of different things, but Iâ€ll never stop hoping.â€

For more information about the case, visit www.rockymountaincoldcase.com. Anyone with information about the slayings is asked to call 1-888-893-0111.

http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1328526#/

2. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

Personally i'd be all for anything that brought light to the JBR case.....but you will have a number of Ogres to circumvent.. the fact that the Ramsey team dont want anyone geting close...no matter what the method and the current Boulder LE set up whom arent going to want to be made to look the Smucks they really are.... so it would need to be done by stealth...right up til you had something...as McCormick puts it...you'd be remiss not to follow up !!

If you could persuade the current owners of the house to let someone in.....things might get mighty interesting !!!

3. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

Didn't the Ramseys state that it goes against their "religion" to utilize the services of a psychic?

Damn, I hate saying the Ramseys and religion in the same sentence :couch:

4. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

who mentioned anything about asking them!!!!!!! :) they are after all the bad guys !!
    This would need to be done without their "help" and be deilvered via some media as an expose... ver much fait accompli style... shaming all but the Boulder LE into action

5. heymom

heymom Member

The only problem is that the "psychic" could also find "evidence" of an intruder, and send everyone on another wild goose-chase.

6. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

In March 2004, I stood in the driveway of that house and intuited the last name of JonBenet's killer. It was Ramsey.

7. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

lol...and the chances of that??? lol

As an open minded person...if there ever was " real ..irefutable evidence " of an intruder...you would have to consider it..

But, on the basis of everything before us....you and I have a greater chance of both winning Lotto than that ever happening.

You dont rely on one detective...so why one pyschic.. get a couple.....get a ( hmm whats collective noun ??) ..im going to suggest ..a Collage of Psychics ( think about it...lol )

London to a brick...they dont come up with any Karr Fetched Ideas !!

8. Elle

Elle Member

We have a Rescue Mediums tvshow here with real psychics working cold cases in Canada, plus we do have a psychic who helps the police in the Niagara area with fresh cases. I actually heard this psychic speak in our local library, and she explained how she had helped them solve a few cases. I found it all very intriguing.

I do enjoy the show "Medium" with Patricia Arquette playing the true psychic Allison DuBois, with the shows being based on true cases she has worked on.

9. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

It's a funny thing............I felt those exact vibes all the way here in Brooklyn, New York

Must be something to it! :toast:

10. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

You will find that many police and legal depts use psychics, more often in some clandestine way..

Here in Victoria ( Oz ) th eofficial line is...NO No No ...we never use them...however..the reality is a whole different thing !!

hmm..." reality a whole different thing !! " lol... much is not often what we think !!

11. tylin

tylin Banned

:star3d: :bowdown: :bowdown:

12. heymom

heymom Member

:thumbsup: :clap: :jumpie: :bowdown: :yes: :yes: :yes: :bow: :headbang: :gavel:

Yeah Cherokee!

13. Amber

Amber Member

It's really spooky but I was going to suggest today collectively asking a psychic who knows nothing about the case (or as much as Jams knows :sick: ) and see what they came up with...but hesitated as I thought I may be burned at the stake :yow:

I've watched all the discovery shows with psychics and detectives...if it's good enough for Discovery...

14. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

Amber....we ARE open minded people here, we simply have one focus, the TRUTH !!

How we all arrive at that destination really matters not :)

Ther is more than one way to crack a nut after all !!

15. heymom

heymom Member

Yes, and I'd like to see someone's nut's cracked...like Hunter's, and Smit's, and the only one left alive who knows what really happened to JonBenet.

16. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

I thought one of the Commandments was "Thou shalt not bear false witness."

The Ramseys have no problem breaking THAT one.

17. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

I'm Christian and also do not seek out mediums, but I can guarantee I would have had I been a parent of a murdered child....Just because God doesn't want us to use them doesn't mean they don't have an ability.

I've watched lots of these psychic detectives....I would want answers to my childs death... unless of course I already knew the answers. Then it would be very easy to be the Christian I'm suppose to be. ( Christian)Parents who can justify sexualizing their 6 yr old daughter can certainly find an excuse to use a psychic if your very soul was overwhelmed with grief and obsessed with needing answers and Justice. The Rams were Lame a$$ed, self absorbed parents if you ask me.

18. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

They were complicit in the murder of their daughter !!!!! being lame assed isnt the half of it !! They quite simply are evil....do or allow that to happen to your own child can be nothing else !!

19. heymom

heymom Member

You know, Free, I thought about this after reading your post. I don't think I would try the psychic route if anything happened to one of my kids. I don't believe it would be true, because I believe that ability does not come from God, and it might give me some kind of false hope or emotional reaction that wouldn't be helpful in the long run, you know? I am not going to preach to you, but as Christians our only hope is in the Lord and God's Word.

I am not saying I wouldn't be tempted to turn over the last rock in hopes of finding my child's killer. I might allow the police to consult whomever they wished, just not let me know about false leads. Interesting subject.

20. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

just as a hytpothesis.

people have faiths...of many and varying kinds

Christianity is but but one avenue of this observance.. an observance of a greater entity shall we say.

If the entity was a dice ...in nature...then you might say that an observance in a Christian manner was but one facet of that dice...

Many others choose other different facets, or indeed call it by another desciption entirely let alone watching from another facet.

Where ever that child has gone...im pretty sure she doesnt care much what flavour you are...only that someone may facilitate the learning of her demise.

By what energy, but what belief ,by what conduit ...?? does it really matter ??

For this roo is doesnt ...just a different slant possibly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice