Chicago-Sun-Times

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Greenleaf, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

Looking back on 50 years as King
    Good interviews, sad stories, some just overplayed

January 17, 2007

BY DOUG ELFMAN Television Critic

Even though Larry King is still CNN's most recognizable star, he doesn't get a wide berth to do whatever he wants. Like so many journalists, he interviews plenty of people he doesn't like, and he covers murder cases and tabloid stories he'd rather not.

"You have to sometimes do some things you don't want to do," King says, in a year when CNN will be showcasing him with a Bill Maher-hosted roast, plus a "King-Sized Week," to celebrate 50 years in radio and TV (21 years in the same time slot at CNN).

Two huge stories King thought were overplayed, including on his show: the case of Scott Peterson, convicted of murdering his pregnant wife, Laci Peterson, and Natalee Holloway's disappearance in Aruba.

"I understood the girl [Laci Peterson] was very pretty, and it was Christmas Eve, but I didn't understand devoting that much time to it. We did it at least two nights a week," King says. "Aruba, I had no interest in. It was one girl who went missing."

To the contrary, "JonBenet Ramsey was an amazing story, because I got to know her parents. I liked her parents. I liked the young boy," King says. "I had that incredible show where the police lieutenant accused the mother of killing her. That was unbelievable."

But King sees the folly of the Ramsey case, too.

"Of course, we ask ourselves, if she were a black girl, without the film [footage], would we have done it? No. And that's a travesty. That's a shame."

King suggests he doesn't love doing celebrity interviews. Or, at least, he's a little surprised celebrities net more coverage than serious newsmakers.

"This boggles the mind, because celebrities are made and gone so quick," he says.

I ask him to name the biggest jerk he has ever interviewed.

"The toughest time I ever had was Robert Mitchum," King says. "I loved him as an actor, but he drove me nuts" by answering questions with a bare "yes" or "no."

"It started badly [off air] when I said to him, 'Can I call you Bob?' And he said, 'Can I call you Lare?' And I asked him what was it like to work for John Huston, the great director. He said, 'Seen one, seen 'em all,' " King recalls. "I said, 'What do you think of Robert De Niro?' He said, 'Never seen him.' "

Like many journalists, King has used tricks of the trade to get around interview obstacles.

"Jodie Foster -- the first time she came on, the rule was she would not talk about the shooting of Reagan. And I said I accept the rule," King says. "So the question is, 'Why won't you talk about the shooting of Reagan?' She pointed her finger at me and went, 'Ahhhh.' "

Politicians are the least genuine interviewees; celebrities have gotten savvier over the years, he says. He suggests architects are the most authentic.

"Architects are the most individualistic of all professions. They put their stamp on something. They make a building. They're judged by everybody. And they're very critical of others, too," King says. "They always take a stand. No namby-pambies."

King has interviewed just about every politician and pop culture star to come along for decades. But he wishes he could get the pope and Fidel Castro.

"We almost got the pope before he died," he says of John Paul II. "We got a 'maybe,' which was something. I'd like to get this pope."

What would King want the pope to address?

"I'd ask if he ever doubts. And does he ever question his faith? And how early in life did he ever think of being pope? What's it like when they vote; how much politics? All the things you'd hope he'd be willing to talk about."

Good questions. King, 73, presumably has the time to wait to see if he will get to ask them.

"Larry can sit in his chair as long as he continues to perform," says Jim Walton, president of CNN Worldwide.

"They want me as long as I'm healthy," King says, "and I don't start to lose it."

2. tylin

tylin Banned

Well the keeper of the Crypt was wrong about Laci Peterson IMO. Her disappearance earned the attention it got. Think about it, the Christian Christmas story totally revolves around a young, pregnant woman. On Christmas Eve in 2002 another young, pregnant woman went missing. The thought of a man murdering his pregnant wife on Christmas Eve was just too much to ignore. The American public ate the story up.

Oh yes, it's been quite obvious that Larry loved the Ram's. :yuck:

And shame on the cryptkeeper and his remarks about Natalee Holloway. What if one of his son's disappears during Spring break? That's right, Larry will be dead by the time they go on spring break--unless he lives to be 105. :sick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

said it before and I will repeat...Larry King is a spineless sycophant who thinks no firther than his own ratings...or is that rantings !!
    go no time for the guy..
    perform...how apt... I liken him to a seal that claps !!

4. Tez

Tez Member

I am sure Beth Twitty appreciated his comments about Natalee too. I don't like Larry King Dead, never have.

I bet he got some of his best ratings when Sharon Rocha was on his show. If I were her, I wouldn't go back on there if he begged me!!!

As far as getting to know J & P Ramsey, all I have to say is gag me with a spoon!!!!

5. heymom

heymom Member

Yet another person who is up John Ramsey's butt. Sorry for the crude language, but with all the people who have kissed JR's heinie, some of them got pushed to the interior passages.

I love the Cryptkeeper photo!!

6. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Larry King Barely Alive and BabbaWawa should be cursed with only having John as a interviewee for the rest of their viewing days.....

7. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Hi Greenie.

8. heymom

heymom Member

I like what he had to say about Robert Mitchum, very well known to be a man of few words. If we could resurrect Robert Mitchum and stick Larry King with HIM for eternity...that would be retribution.

9. Elle

Elle Member

I like this part the best:

Kanga wrote: I liken him to a seal that claps !!

Right on!

He never gives the other side of the story. He shakes hands with John Ramsey like he was an old friend.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=j>[size=-1]
    [/size]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Regarding Larry King saying that he liked the Ramseys ... lots of people do/did. They have been regulars on his little show over the years, he's hardly likely to torn round and say he DIDN'T like them if there's a cahnce he might want John/Burke/Pam on another show in the future.

It's interesting. I read the book about serial killer Denis Nielson and he's a really popular guy in prison! The author commented specifically on the fact that everyone who met him, from police, to prison officers, to other inmates - all thought he was a really nice guy. I think he killed about 13 people before dismembering them and disposing of their bodies in a variety of ways.

My point is, many of us take people at face value unless they have the potential to interfere in our lives in a big way. Larry King liking the Ramseys means nothing.

11. Elle

Elle Member

The way I look at this is, LKL's door is always open to John Ramsey, and we are all sick and tired of seeing JR's face on LKL. Larry King doesn't choose to have someone on who will give John Ramsey a run for his money. It's all very one sided, so I tend to think Larry King liking the ramseys means something in this respect. He will keep on bringing him back on his show. :-( King didn't invite anyone from the opposition after this latest show, did he?

12. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

I heard that John Ramsey spends time with Larry King as a substitute for the melatonin!

:D

13. heymom

heymom Member

Remember in Genesis, Eve was charmed by the Serpent. :snake:

14. JustChillun

JustChillun Member

There are a good number state of inmates that come across as rational or even likeable guys. That's the beauty of being a con man. People will believe the front that you put up.
    Suckers.
    There's one born every minute.
    Unfortunately, about a bunch of them have been posting over at that other website.
    So some con artists are living the good life and never do anything above the radar, living out their lives right among us. The Rams' were and are just such people. I guess that if you repeat your story enough times you finally get to believing it yourself. Then let the lawsuits begin!
    As for LK, I don't have enough time in my day to waste some of it listening to his drivel. Baba Wawa is the same, but she's more superficial and hangs around with scary ditzes and bitczes on the View.
    Michael Savage should be on The View. Now, that would be an interesting sight to see. Especially across from CrowsFeet O'Donnell (the carpet bagger).

15. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

I think the King is covering his Ace, Jack.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice