Shooting in Salt Lake City, Utah, Mall

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Watching You, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Yes, I know this is on the JBR forum. I want everyone to see it and report in - Moab, Tricia? This is scary chit. I think six people were killed, several injured, some critically.

We can move the thread, later. For now, we need to hear from everyone near this mall.

2. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

It was scary :(:(:(:(, but neither Tricia nor I are "housed" near Trolley Square... will round up some articles for ya'll. I am about 5-6 miles away, and Tricia is about 40 miles away.

It make me want to "carry" alot more than I do though, I will tell you that!

3. Amber

Amber Member

Wow - 5-6 miles in American terms is like spitting distance !ouch:

Glad you're OK :yes:

4. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

5. Watching You

Both you and Tricia are within shopping distance of that mall. That's what I was concerned about, Moab.

Just a little too close for comfort, yes?

6. she wounded

she wounded Member

Shame

They say the man was only 18 :unreal: yrs old. They aren't going to release his name until the next of kin is notified.

I use to hall goverment freight from the army base in Tooele Utha just out side of Salt lake.

7. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Yes ma'am...

Trolley Square is a boutique-type mall, not your regular strip mall...lots of good restaurants there...I go there quite a bit!

8. Watching You

It's getting to the point where nowhere is safe to be, anymore. I always wonder when some kid is going to go off here at the university because he flunked out or couldn't get into a class he wanted. I'm on the ground floor with some big windows that I could get out, if I had to, but my office is probably one of the first ones a shooter would come to, if he got this far. There're no security people in our buildings.

9. Amber

Amber Member

Another kid in a trenchcoat?!!!!

10. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

Another coward in a costume taking advantage of easy targets. I can't wait to hear his personal history, what forms of "art" he was into.

11. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

That's what I was concerned about, too ... that Moab or Tricia might have been doing some shopping there last night.

12. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

It really IS a wonder that I wasn't there for dinner, sooooooooooooo many good restaurants there, but TA DA...I wasn't! When I shop there it is usually on a Friday or Saturday when I am not working.

13. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

[​IMG] Feb 13, 2007 2:44 am US/Mountain

Witness: 'We Heard Shot After Shot After Shot'

[​IMG] SLIDESHOW: Terror at Trolley Square

[​IMG] INTERVIEWS: Witnesses at the scene

Counseling: Valley Mental Health - (801) 261-1442

(KUTV) SALT LAKE CITY An 18-year-old gunman in a trench coat pulled a 12 gauge shotgun and opened fire at Salt Lake City's Trolley Square on Monday evening, killing five people and injuring several more, police say. The gunman also died in the shooting.

Witnesses report that as many as 20 shots were fired inside the shopping center, which houses many stores and restaurants that are popular with families. ([​IMG] Official statement from Trolley Square)

"Bang, bang, bang, stop... bang, bang, stop." said one witness, who described a continuous barrage of gunshots inside the mall. "They were reloading... you could smell the gun powder."

Matt Lund, whose wife manages a clothing store, said he saw a woman's body face-down at the entrance to Pottery Barn Kids. He locked himself and four others inside a storage room for about 40 minutes, isolated but still able to hear the violence.

"We heard them say, 'Police! Drop your weapon!' Then we heard shotgun fire. Then there was a barrage of gunfire," Lund, 44, said. "It was hard to believe."

"I looked down the hallway... and there is a body in the doorway," said witness Shaura Cole, who had just emerged from the ladies' restroom. "A girl ran to him... she picked him up, but [a police officer] made her leave him. He was just laying there."

Marie Smith, 23, had the day off from Bath & Body Works but stopped there during an errand and saw the gunman shoot a woman in front of the store.

"He was ahead of her, standing still. I don't think she saw that he had a gun," said Smith, who dashed to a bathroom and locked the door.

Smith said the gunman seemed emotionless.

"His expression stayed totally calm. He didn't seem upset, or like he was on a rampage," she said."

An antique-store owner, Barrett Dodds, 29, said he saw a man in a trench coat exchanging gunfire with a police officer outside a card store. The gunman was backed into a children's clothing store.

"I saw the cops go in the store. I saw the shooter go down," said Dodds, who watched from the second floor.

Barb McKeown, 60, of Washington, D.C., was in another antique shop when two frantic women ran in and reported gunshots.

"Then we heard shot after shot after shot - loud, loud, loud," said McKeown, saying she heard about 20. She and three other people hid under a staircase until it was safe to leave.

"There are several victims in the shooting... there are some fatalities," said Robin Snyder of the Salt Lake Police Department.

The gunman was among six killed, according to police, but it was not immediately clear how the assailant was wounded.

An off-duty officer from Ogden was in the mall and involved in the shooting, said Ogden police Sgt. Blaine Clifford, who declined to release the officer's name. The officer was not injured, but "I don't know anything more," Clifford said.

Authorities say the unidentified gunman walked into Trolley Square at approx. 6:50 p.m. and started shooting victims at random. Witnesses say the gunman was wearing a trench coat and carried a backpack. The shooter also was armed with a handgun and had several rounds of ammunition, Salt Lake City police Detective Robin Snyder. It was not clear if he fired the handgun, nor had a motive been determined, she said.

The man's name was not released.

A man named Jeff says he got a call from his wife, who was inside Trolley Square at the time of the shooting."

"I just told her to be quiet... they were in the back of the Sharper Image," he told 2News.

At least four people were hospitalized. Two men in critical condition - one 50 and another 16 - were at University Hospital, spokesman Chris Nelson said. Another two people - one in critical and one in serious - were at LDS Hospital, said spokesman Jess Gomez. No other details were available.

The University of Utah Hospital and LDS Hospital are currently on lockdown, meaning spectators are encouraged to stay away from those facilities, as you will not be able get in without a legitimate reason.

The entire parking lot at Trolley Square is now considered a crime scene. People with cars in the lot will not be able to remove them for the immediate future.

The entire city block surrounding Trolley Square has been blocked off to traffic and authorities are asking everyone to stay away from the area.

Two memorial sites with lighted candles and flowers were set up outside Trolley Square.

The two-story mall, southeast of downtown, is a refurbished trolley barn built in 1908, with a series of winding hallways, brick floors, wrought-iron balconies and about 80 stores, including high-end retailers such as Williams-Sonoma and restaurants such as the Hard Rock Cafe.

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_043212315.html

14. Watching You

What a nightmare. A 12-gauge shotgun? This guy wanted to make sure they were dead, didn't he.

15. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Yeah, it seems he did...but you know what sticks in my craw this morning? He had to reload 10 times if he had a shotgun and allegedly fired 20 shots.

Two guys could have overpowered him during reloading any of those 10 times!

16. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

This is so very tragic!

My brother lived in Salt Lake for a number of years....About 15 years ago when the kids were all at home, my sisters, their spouses, kids, and my dad all traveled to SL to spend Thanksgiving with my brother....

One of the days that we were there he took all of us to The Trolley Square Mall to enjoy the stores and have lunch....I particularly remember the lovely antiuqes store there and we all had lunch at the Restaurant closest to that store.....

The whole mall was lovely with the brick walks and upscale stores....Can't imagine such death and destruction in the calm historic and well ordered place.....Wonder if something bad happened to him there or if he was striking out at an institution that was not affordable or welcoming to him.....

Of course, sometimes these attacks are just random, and the shooter just goes to a public place where he knows there will be lots of people and his acts will attract lots of publicity....This certainly is one of those places....

So very heartbreaking....Seems we should all just have our wills written and be prepared as leaving our homes these days can be dangerous!

We have been having a spree of home invasions here in Albuquerque the past few months with a group of men breaking in binding the residents and leisurely burglerizing their entire home, even taking their vehicles out of their garage or drive....It is scary, and my husband asked this week if I wanted him to get us a gun for protection....Geeezzzz

Voyager

17. tylin

tylin Banned

Yep, Paradox, unfortunately you're right. This is scarey stuff. How sad that we really aren't safe anywhere.

18. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

I hope you told him yes!

19. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Just heard from Tricia and she also was no where near Trolley Square so is safe and sound, and I also heard a rumor she could be checking in on the forum soon!

:clap:

20. Watching You

I read this kid had a handgun as well as the shotgun, Moab. Mayhap that's why nobody dared to go near him. Also, by the time anyone figured out his shotgun was empty and made the move to go for him, he probably would have been reloaded and ready to fire on them.

It's all just so sad - so many families' lives blown to bits over what? Some kid get his feelies hurt? There's really no excuse for anyone doing something like this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice