A Mom Gone Bad by Andrew Hodges

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by heymom, Apr 17, 2007.

1. heymom

heymom Member

If this book has been discussed before, could someone point me to the thread? I searched but found nothing. I bought the book from the 2nd-hand store and am almost through reading it. Wanted to know what the general consensus of the book is, from the FFJ standpoint. Personally, I find many of the statements in the book go well beyond reason into la-la-land, but it was written only 2 years after JonBenet was killed. The sad thing is that the author keeps saying it won't be long until Patsy confesses or John betrays her. Ummm....guess they got away with the killing after all.

:wave:

2. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

Hodges makes the mistake of amplifying someone else's material then analysizing his own amplifications as if to draw conclusions about the person that supplied the material. He is hampered by his education in Freudian psychology. He lacks objectivity. He ends up acting like more of a psychic than a psychologist. He did mention the Seraph report in this book though.

3. heymom

heymom Member

Yes, that was my observation as well. He treats his own theories as if they were unassailably true, and some of them are W-A-Y out there. There are nuggets of gold in the book, but nothing that deep or surprising. Did he get sued for writing the book?

4. Paradox

This book is so bad that even Il Wadi would be embarassed to take it to court.

5. heymom

heymom Member

That's bad. :)

6. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

Dr. Hodges' theory about Patsy's cancer stress being the time bomb motive and incest being the trigger motive is the best I've ever heard.

-Tea

7. heymom

heymom Member

I think Patsy's stress came from multiple factors, her exhaustion and fear from cancer and the treatments involved certainly were one of those factors. I am skeptical of the incest act scenario, because the way it must have gone down, Burke would have heard or seen something. Maybe he did, but it strikes me that he would have had some reaction the next morning. Maybe John threatened him if he didn't hush up - it sounds like that on the 911 recording.

The upshot is that we will never know. I found it ironic that Hodges keeps saying how Patsy will break and confess, and it will be "over' for her. Little did he know that 10 years would go by, and Patsy would die with the information still unspoken. I don't know why she didn't do a deathbed confession, unless perhaps she was afraid of John to the very end.

Hodges' book is just too long, rambling, and "out there" for me to take it very seriously. I haven't yet read the other book "Who Will Speak for JonBenet." Have you?

8. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Not on your life.

9. Paradox

No. I think Hodges was setting himself up as the "speaker" for JonBenet, some kind of channeler. He's another example of a person that loses their objectivity as they Identify with the case. That strange list of strange people is long.

10. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Ok, so isn't a photo by Cookie on the cover? That has got to be good!

I just finished The Innocent Man, John Grisham's new book. It's an eye-opener, sad, a good read.

11. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

No, he says that her parents were speaking for her, however no one knew how to interpret their messages.

-Tea

12. Paradox

Except for me. I know how to interpret Patsy's message.

13. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

I read this,

some time back but I remember that I felt the author was arrogant and full of himself. I had a hard time finishing it if I did. I don't remember. there was a discussion on it at the time but I think it was very much like what is here right now. It certainly didn't last as a cornerstone of the case did it!? I felt that his analysis of the case was off the wall and a bit bent. If that makes sense. I didn't enjoy the read that I do remember.

(Somewhere in my thinking is that at the time I felt very much like I did after reading John Douglas's book Mind Hunter. Toward the end of that book he became so full of himself that it was hard to finish reading it. I didn't then and probably won't ever read him again. JD I mean)

14. heymom

heymom Member

I was forcing myself to finish it, because I don't like to give up on a book, but it was like eating food that you are not very fond of. :) I think Dr. Hodges is WAY out there - he takes the barest thread of a theory and then wraps all sorts of other bizarre thinking around it, and presents it as if it is incontrovertible fact.

I don't suppose you read his other book? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice