Court of Public Opinion

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Sep 22, 2007.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

September 22, 2007 Court of Public Opinion

A conference at Duke Law School Sept. 28 and 29 will explore the legal and ethical issues common to high-profile legal cases.

By Frances Presma

Friday, September 21, 2007

Note to Editors: This story originally appeared in This Month at Duke.

Durham, NC -- The Duke and Durham communities know from recent experience how hot-button issues such as race, gender and athletics can prompt intense media and public scrutiny of legal cases. But David F. Levi, the former federal judge who became dean of Duke Law School in July, says the lacrosse case was not unique in this regard.

Events
    Law
    “High-profile cases tax the legal system at the very moment when the public’s confidence and understanding might be enhanced,†Levi says.

A conference at Duke Law School Sept. 28 and 29 will explore the legal and ethical issues common to such high-profile cases. The discussions are free and open to the public.

The conference “The Court of Public Opinion: The Practice and Ethics of Trying Cases in the Media†will include a series of roundtable conversations moderated by legal scholars. Participants will talk about how cases land in the media spotlight and will examine the professional and ethical roles of those responsible for ensuring a fair hearing for the individuals involved.

Participants will share their experiences with high-profile cases. They include Judge Reggie Walton, who presided over the Scooter Libby trial, and Harold Haddon, who has represented Kobe Bryant and the parents of JonBenet Ramsey. :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

The other participants are Mark Geragos, who has represented Scott Peterson and Michael Jackson; CourtTV anchor and attorney Jack Ford; Gary Hengstler, director of the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for the Courts and Media at the National Judicial College; and Loren Ghiglione, professor of media ethics at Northwestern University.

And on Saturday, a noon panel called “Living Through Lacrosse†will feature John Burness, Duke’s senior vice president for public affairs and government relations; Duke law professors James Coleman and Paul Haagen; Raymond C. Pierce, dean of North Carolina Central University’s law school; and Duke student Emily Rotberg, managing editor of Towerview magazine last year and a Chronicle staffer.

“All of these cases raise fundamental questions about the proper balance between the rights of the individual and the public, and about appropriate conduct by members of the bench, bar and media in response to intense public interest,†Levi says.

For more information, contact: Frances Presma | (919) 613-7248 | presma@lw.duke.edu

2. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

Uh oh, I'm suspicious. Will control of the media be the stealth subject of debate?

3. RiverRat

And.......will Sue Benet' be in the audience?! :sponge:

4. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

Two b's, or not two b's. That will be the question.

5. RiverRat

Please never leave me! I beg you.......

I am hoping that Shadow sees this thread and has that day clear on his calender...........hint, hint......

6. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

Two-day Registration Fee
    Fee for the entire conference, including the Friday dinner and all activities, is $325.

One-day (Friday or Saturday) Registration Fee
    $125

Friday Night Dinner and Keynote Speech
    $75

7. tylin

tylin Banned

Man would I love to attend that conference. Don't know if I could stand to look at Geragoes though. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice