Copyright Warning - Publishers See a Way to Track Their Content Across the Net

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Cherokee, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Just a reminder to everyone that when copying a news story (or photo) to FFJ, please provide the URL and do not copy the entire article. After the URL, you may provide the paragraph of immediate interest or a few paragraphs that explain the gist of the story. If you copy several paragraphs with gaps inbetween, please show where you have "snipped" the piece by using [snip].

New software has been developed that can track a news story or photo imprint. We're going to have to mind our p's and q's and our URLs. Thanks. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/05/b...7c2a54d64&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA
    Published: November 5, 2007

Copyrighted work like a news article or a picture can hop between Web sites as easily as a cut-and-paste command. But more than ever, as that material finds new audiences, the original sources might not get the direct financial benefit — in fact, they might have little idea where their work has spread.

A young company called Attributor says it has an answer, and a number of big publishers of copyrighted material say Attributor just might be right.

The company has developed software that identifies an electronic “fingerprint†for a particular piece of material — an article, a picture, a video. Then it hunts down any place across the Web where a significant chunk of that work has been copied, with or without permission.

When the use is unauthorized, Attributor’s software can automatically send a message to the site’s operators, demanding a link back to the original publisher’s site, a share of revenue from any ads on the page, or a halt to the copying.

[article continued at URL]

2. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Thanks Chero...I appreciate your posting this article!

This is basically self-preservation for Chero and myself as we are the ones who have to MAKE TIME to go through all of the "cut & paste" postings...determine how much of the article has been used, trim it down, or see if there is a link. When there is not a link we have to GOOGLE and find it and add it.

I appreciate all of you helping to "self-police" what you post!

3. heymom

heymom Member

I am actually quite happy about this - I hope it cuts down on the number of "shadow sites" that are just copies of someone else's information placed on another person's webpage. Many times you find the same text repeated on 2, 3, or more pages. It's wrong, just plain wrong.

I don't think it's meant for public commentary websites like FFJ, though. But I could be wrong, and it doesn't hurt to be cautious anyway.

4. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

You know what always burns me up? When it's only part of the story, a link is posted to the rest, and when I click on it - the page is gone. That makes me so mad!!!!

5. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Thanks for the warning Cherokee. I've stopped pasting the whole article and provide the link, I just have a tough time with the two small paragraph articles....it's like one paragraph is a whole sentence!

Look you news article providers....start using more words. Must have at least three paragraphs or two sentences in each paragraph.

I'm not picky am I?

6. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

And there's the rub, JC. I've spent countless hours trying to find copies of articles that are no longer online at the original site. They now want you to pay for their archives. That's all well and good for people who are using them for research from which they will personally benefit in some way, but for those of us just discussing issues and looking for the source of the info, it's too much when you might want ONE ARTICLE to document facts in a public online discussion and may never go to that site for another, or not for months or years.

I've tried to keep some of the more important sources in my private files, but then when you "quote" them, it's the same copyright issue, isn't it? And who can keep a decade of tens of thousands of sources?

Oh, well. This case is dead, so I guess it's not a problem now. Other cases I post about occasionally are more topical and the links will last longer than my interest in minutiae, thankfully.

So what are you mods going to do about going back to the beginning of the forum to find articles long posted here? Ouch! That's a big chore.

7. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

This is not a new request, we have said it from the beginning, only we have noticed so much more happening lately, so Cherokee brought it up again as a reminder.

We will continue to edit as we happen to be on a thread where we see a lot of it.

You are right..OUCH!
    :unreal::yow:

8. Shadow

Shadow FFJ Senior Content Moderator

Warned!!!! I certainly don't want to be wrong, just plain wrong, Heymom! My posts on the Politics Forum have been cleaned -up. I appologize for my transgressions!!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  9. koldkase

Uh...Shadow...if anybody is guilty of this infraction of copyright here, it's me. I thought they were nicely telling ME to clean up my act!

I guess really, when you think about it...IT'S ALL THE MODS' FAULT!! Wicked, wicked mods!!

REPENT, MODS!! :pray:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  10. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

St. Koldkase???????????????

What are you the booty Saint?

:floor:

11. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Actually, I've probably been one of the worst ones about forgetting to snip and such. I'm usually in a hurry, and not worrying about all the fine print.

So yes, I DO need to repent. Consider it done. :D

12. koldkase

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

St. KoldKase of the Guttah.

Patron Saint of Booty.

I like it!

13. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

I know, I know...........I am the worst at this, but I hate when the articles are only online for a day or two.......I am getting better though....at finding ways around it!

14. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Wayell, hayell, I'm guilty. So shoot me.

Frankly, I consider it a compliment to think enough of one's work to post it in full, but I guess it doesn't work that way. Sometimes I remember, other times what's being said is so important, I can't find anywhere to snip. Feel free to edit whatever you see, fellow mods.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice