Parents keep watchful eye in dangerous world

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Elle, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Elle

Elle Member

I don't blame parents for being extra specially careful with their children these days. It appears to be a very sick world out there.

2. Little

Little Member

Very good article Ella. Thank you.

Little

3. Thor

Thor Active Member

So sad that it has come to this. I am so glad I grew up when I did. This crap just didn't happen back in the 60s (at least where I lived). We played kick the can in the summertime till wayyyy after dark a lot of times. Such carefree and fun times. Sad to see that kids are missing out on these things due to the sick bastids that roam the streets preying on kids.

4. tylin

tylin Banned

Sadly, we live in a most violent and evil time. In one way I feel lucky because my girls aren't little anymore. Then I pick up the paper and read about brutal attacks on young women ages 17-25 and I know my girls aren't safe. I hate to think what the world will be like when I have grandchildren.

Edited for spelling mistakes. :winkaway:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  5. Elle

Elle Member

My childhood days were long before yours and tylin'sThor, and I played the same games as you in the street; I don't ever remember any bad stories about children or teenagers being abducted, molested or killed. When I bring this subject up, my husband tells me it was going on all of the time, and we just didn't hear about it, and because of today's technology, the whole world hears it. I agree with him there about the technology playing a big part, but I certainly didn't hear anything like I'm hearing today.

6. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

There was a child molesting pervert in our neighborhood when I was growing up, two of them come to think of it. Heck, it was probably legal back then.

7. Colorado Babe

Colorado Babe Active Member

Possible abduction

When I was around 8 years old, my parents owned a house in the Pocono mountains. We would go there for the summer and hang out at the lake all day. One day, my two sister's and I were walking home from the lake and an elderly couple tried to coax us into their car but we wouldn't go. When we got home, we told our mom about the couple and my mom said she didn't know who they were....To this day, I still wonder what would have happened if we had gotten in that car with those people....Thank God we didn't.

8. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

My experience was pretty close too, Babe. I was in third grade when mine occurred and was way too young for it to immediately register danger! This was a man that stopped his car, opened his door and while talking, sat there wearing only a t-shirt and socks, just a whacking away. I thought he was shifting gears.........for a few seconds at least.

Anyhows - my kids are raised with that memory in the back of my mind every day.

9. Elle

Elle Member

Colorado Babe and River Rat, so glad you both didn't end up in trouble with these perverts.

An elderly couple, CB (?). :-(

10. Elle

Elle Member

OH JC, how you and the others came quite close to disaster. :-(

11. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Elle - my mind will not allow me to even imagine the posibilities.......and to my knowledge, that creep was never caught.

I do know that this moment in time back in 1973 in Haines City, Florida and that Mystery Creep is what led me down the path to fitting in at FFJ.

12. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Holy crapola - it seems some of us have had some close encounters of the evil kind. Mine was the school bus driver. He used to masturbate while he was driving the school bus. I sat in the front seat, and he paid a lot of attention to me, but I was very young and didn't know why he was paying attention to me. Now I know he was fantasizing about me (yuck). He never touched me, but I was so embarrassed by what he was doing, I never told anyone. That was back in the early 50's.

After I graduated from high school and was more savvy as to what that creep was, I was going to blow the whistle on him. But, he died before I could do so. I did notice he was quite close to a high school girl at the time, even though he was married with kids. I suspect he was doing her.

13. Elle

Elle Member

Oh good grief, what a creep WY. He should have been fired on the spot. Glad the bastid didn't attack you. All these people we trust to look after the children for us. When older I walked with friends. There was no school bus. We were all within walking distance.

I was thinking more about nothing happening to the younger children, but when we were older we were warned not to take the shortcut which passed close to a barracks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  14. heymom

heymom Member

My friend and I were walking home from jr. high - maybe 7th or 8th grade - and a man pulled over and asked us to help him pick up change that he'd dropped on the floor of his car. My friend started screaming and ran away, the right thing to do. I, on the other hand, bent over and started picking up the change...You see, the guy had a fake cast on one arm and one leg. I looked up at one point and he was, as you say, whacking away. It was my turn to scream and run away. No one had ever told me not to go up to someone's car in any situation, for any reason.

Other than that, I used to wander all over my town at night, in the summer, alone, and never had any problems. But it was a different time.

15. Elle

Elle Member

I remember seeing a movie made from a true case where a young couple stop off for gas for their car, and the girl goes into the store, and is asked to carry something out by a man with a cast on his arm, and as soon as she got to his van, he threw her in it, and he kept her locked up in a basement. Something like that.

This is something we should all be careful about, and not be conned into carrying anything for any stranger. Saw a documenrary on how children still fall for that line of the man who has lost his dog. He usually has an empty dog leash in his hand. They had parents watching their own children being conned by an actor to go out of the store and start looking for the lost puppy. These were children who were warned never to do anything like this for a stranger. The parents were in shock.

I remember reading a warning that when we go shopping at the supermarket, to try and avoid parking beside those vans which have sliding doors, and if no one is around when you go back to your car, and there is a van beside your car, to be extra specially careful.

16. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Expose the SOBs.

This was in an article in our paper yesterday:

"Children's advocates say a sex offender's best weapon is secrecy. Once their proclivities become known, the opportunities to find victims decrease."

17. Elle

Elle Member

It's the catching of them that's tricky, JC. They're all a bunch of slimey slithering creeps. When caught, their faces should be posted on a billboard and all over the place.

18. AMES

AMES Member

Same thing happend to my sister, in the 70's, she was walking home from school, and some guy in a truck (not an elderly couple)...offered her money to get in the truck with him...she ran as fast as she could, and made it home. He had actually passed her on the road, while she was walking...and used OUR driveway to turn around in, to go back the other way...and try to coax her into his truck. I was about four years old, and till this day, I can still remember seeing him turning around in our driveway...I just happened to be looking out the window with my babysitter at the right time. Since she was walking in the opposite direction, he couldn't chase her down.

19. AMES

AMES Member

Another kidnapping attempt...

Also...when a friend of mine was about five...her mother (not rowing with both oars if you know what I mean) locked her in her parked car, while she ran into a convenience store. Two men, tried to break the window to get her out, as she crouched down on the floor of the car and cried for her mom. Her mom eventually came out, and the men ran off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice