How very Boulder - If you have the money, honey, it isn't a crime.

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Little, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Little

Little Member

"You'll never enjoy a stolen view" gathered Sunday on Hardscrabble Drive in south Boulder to condemn Richard McLean, a former district court judge and former Boulder mayor, and his wife, Edith Stevens, for taking possession of a portion of two vacant lots that have belonged to Don and Susie Kirlin for nearly a quarter of a century.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2007
  2. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Only in Boulder. If you're rich enough, you can confiscate your neighbor's property for your own, or murder your child with impunity. It's the Golden Rule all over again. Those who have the gold make the rules.

3. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Hey, we have that "adverse possession" law here, too--or something like it. I know because I had to use a lawyer to file a complaint against a neighbor who was dumping on my property ingress/egress. My lawyer said if I didn't go ahead and file a complaint, at the time I finally went to this lawyer, another year and the neighbor would have legal right to do as he pleased because I had not filed a complaint! You DO know how much lawyers cost, right? It's simply WRONG, because it means a person who doesn't know the law nor have the money to FIGHT THIS will lose his/her property--straight out theft with a fountain pen, IMO.

What I find most amusing about this picketing in Boulder...they seem to care more about land than they do about children.

4. heymom

heymom Member

Yeah, where were those protestors when little Jason Midyette died? Where were they when Alex and Molly Midyette were let out of jail with their ankle bracelets on?

Drinking lattes in Starbucks of course. Yawn.

5. Little

Little Member

I'm not sure what it's called where I live but it may be something like squatter's rights or something like that. I did go to a real estate person with a question on this re: a person living at my uncle's home. They told me that I needed to take a picture with the day's newspaper and then let the person know that this was his property, something like that. I guess that falls under the notification. If these people were accessing the property by driving through it that must have been their loophole. No one told them or asked them not to do it.

No good deed goes unpunished I guess. Don't be nice to people and let them use your property as a driveway.

I don't understand though if they were paying the taxes on the property and had plans to put up a fence that would seem to be reaffirming their ownership.

Little

6. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

You said it Little!

Can't the couple get a tax refund if it's not their land? And for insuring the property?

Can't the crooked judge and his wife be fined for not paying taxes all these years? And if they didn't pay a dime in taxes...can the county take the land back?

Nope! 'Cause the rich and politically correct can do whatever they want in Boulder! To hell with the little guy and babies....

Judge you are one GREEDY, SELFISH SOB!

7. Little

Little Member

Critics of 'land grab' push for legal ethics investigation

Read entire article here - Source: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/nov/20/land-grab-critics-push-for-ethics-investigation/

8. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

My exact thought!

9. Show Me

Thanks for the article Little....Boulderites in an uproar over the Judge's devious way. Picketing the area....go file the complaints then come back and picket.

Yep JC....I had a few more choice words, can't post them on the forum!

The neighbors let the thieving Judge and his wife use THEIR land and finally when the neighbors want to fence it in to keep Judge Tresspasser off their land he uses and obsure law to STEAL his neighbors property!

How disgusting....

10. Little

Little Member

State rejects legal ethics claim in 'land grab' case

Read entire article here - Source: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/nov/20/state-rejects-ethics-claim-land-grab-case/

11. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

One thing you can count on in Boulder: The good old boys club of judges and lawyers and politicians stick together!

12. Show Me

lol!...how true!

13. Little

Little Member

Bad faith in Boulder???!!! - hmmmm

"We're concerned that the way current Colorado law is drafted, it may be too easy for people to lose their property rights," Witwer said. "We're also concerned about the way, under current law, that 'bad faith' can be rewarded."

14. Little

Little Member

Read entire article here - Source: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/nov/25/paths-never-crossed-families-in-land-battle-both/

Here's my question. Wouldn't the honorable thing to do be to approach your neighbors and ask them if they were interested in selling you a piece of their property instead of finding some obscure back door way to just take their property?

Little

15. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

16. Little

Little Member

Ok, that's what I thought too JC. Interesting how some can defend this action, but as my daddy used to say, it all depends on whose ox is being gored.

Little

17. Show Me

Can the couple file a lawsuit against the crooked judge and wife for trespassing all these years, unknown to the wronged couple?

At the very least the wronged couple ought to get back taxes from the thieving judge!

Imagine how the crooks who stole and were put away by this so called judge feel?

18. Little

Little Member

I honestly don't know Show Me but it sounds like there are some moves to see that this doesn't happen any more. I suppose it would take a sudden hit of conscience to get these "fine upstanding important self-serving" citizens to realize that what they did is just plain wrong.

There are some interesting facts about McLean & Stevens in this article. It's pretty clear that they recognized the difference between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law, opting for the latter. They both have been active in gvt. and I love this quote about McLean speaking of the "hippie" problem.
    (bold emphasis mine)

Oh yes, and this one supporter of his had this to say:
    Birds of a feather I suppose - so he's saying if you say he's wrong then you are stupid and have no grasp on reality???

Little

19. heymom

heymom Member

His 1970 campaign included a platform of curbing "rapid growth" in the development and population of Boulder. During the campaign, McLean also spoke out about special legislation aimed against the "hippie problem," saying government had no right to curb the constitutional rights of one group of people.

"The rights of every citizen in Boulder are no stronger than the rights of its most despised citizens," he said in a 1969 Camera article.

An amzing quote, since Boulder has since BECOME Hippie-land, several generations of them. I can't imagine anyone EVER terming the hippies Boulder's "most despised citizens."

20. Show Me

Quote:
    Although few friends and colleagues have been willing to be interviewed in the case, some have written letters in support of McLean and Stevens.
    "Dick McLean was probably the finest trial judge I've ever been privileged to practice before," retired attorney Micheal W. Sutton wrote in a letter to the editor, published in the Nov. 20 Camera. "What made him so was his complete lack of arrogance ... to even suggest that he might be evil or arrogant would show one to be stupid, arrogant, and quick to judge without any regard for reality."

Sutton never commented on the way the judge stole his neighbors property....just he WAS a good judge.

Not now Sutton!

Not unless your idea of integrity is to STEAL your neighbors property!!!!!

Wonder if Sutton be so keen on the judge if he stole HIS property.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice