What are YOUR Holiday Traditions?

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Niner, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Niner

Niner Active Member

What are your Holiday traditions? :gift:

Thought I would start a separate thread for this - and 'see' what YOUR Holiday traditions are... You don't have to copy the whole question, just the # and your answers! here we go...

1. Is it just me or do you, too, hate those "bags" that everyone is giving gifts in now? I think it's a bit cheesy and shows that the person giving the gift was too lazy to wrap it right - with wrapping paper. Do you use these bags?

2. Is your Christmas tree real or artificial?

3. When do you generally put the tree up and take it down?

4. The only time I drink alcohol of any kind is the few weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas when egg nog is available in the grocery store. Then I go through a bunch of egg nog and a bunch of rum. Do you like egg nog? Is there some special food or drink that you only have during the holiday season and never have the rest of the year?

5. What is the best gift you received when you were a kid?

6. Who are your hardest and easiest people to buy for? What are you planning on giving them this year?

7. Do you send out Christmas cards? Is it permissible to email Christmas cards?

8. What is the worst Christmas present you ever received?

9. What is your favorite holiday movie? What is the holiday movie that makes you turn the channel if it's on TV?

10. Are you more of a person that's done Christmas shopping by Halloween, or are you one of the people in the stores the night before Christmas starting your shopping?

11. Have you ever "re-gifted" a Christmas present? What was it?

12. Do you decorate your tree with clear lights or colored lights? And do you throw the tinsel on the tree or hang it strand by strand?

13. Do you travel at Christmas or do you stay home?

14. Top of the tree - angel, star, or something else?

15. Do you have a theme to your tree decorations? Or a "color" the tree is decorated in?

16. Do you open your presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?

17. What's on the menu for Christmas dinner?

18. Besides lists of random questions asking about Christmas - what is the most annoying thing about the holidays?

19. What do you really hope Santa brings you for Christmas this year?
    my answers follow...

2. Niner

Niner Active Member

1. nope! LOVE to wrap all my presents!

2. REAL!! Even went up in the forest and chopped it down!

3. up - when the Huz feels like going out and chopping it down!! LOL! Usually about the 1st or 2nd week of December - and down about January 5th.

4. Egg nog - and a New Year's tradition: you need to eat a bowl of peas before midnite - so you will not have any tears for the year.

5. My blue and white Huffy bicycle at age 10!

6. Easiest is the Huz; hardest is Mom

7. I send out Christmas cards; don't know about email Christmas cards-??

8. worst present: a VERY smelly candle!!

9. Favorite: It's a Wonderful Life - worst: Grinch Stole Christmas w/Jim Carrey

10. All shopping done thru catalogs - and I am done for this year!!

11. never re-gifted!

12. Colored lights on our tree - no tinsel - bad for the cats!

13. STAY HOME for Christmas - thank goodness!!

14. Top of tree varies from year to year - this year only white lights at the top of the tree.

15. No theme - just different Christmas decorations from year's past...

16. We open one present Christmas eve, the rest Christmas day.

17. I know we will be having turkey breast... the rest?? Well, the Huz hasn't told me yet! LOL!

18. most annoying thing about Christmas - the crowds and the "me, me" attitudes in line...

19. What do I REALLY want for Christmas... contact with my daughter... :whistle:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  3. Colorado Babe

Colorado Babe Active Member

Answers

1. Is it just me or do you, too, hate those "bags" that everyone is giving gifts in now? I think it's a bit cheesy and shows that the person giving the gift was too lazy to wrap it right - with wrapping paper. Do you use these bags? Yes I do and I like them.

2. Is your Christmas tree real or artificial? REAL, but haven't gotten one yet. Will do it as soon as my daughter gives me some time to buy one.

3. When do you generally put the tree up and take it down? I usually put the tree up the Saturday after Thanksgiving but this year we were in Mexico. the tree always goes down the Day after Christmas!

4. The only time I drink alcohol of any kind is the few weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas when egg nog is available in the grocery store. Then I go through a bunch of egg nog and a bunch of rum. Do you like egg nog? Is there some special food or drink that you only have during the holiday season and never have the rest of the year? I hate eggnog. I can't seem to figure out how anyone can drink the stuff. I love to drink Asti Spumante during the holidays.

5. What is the best gift you received when you were a kid? A Tiny tiny tears doll.

6. Who are your hardest and easiest people to buy for? What are you planning on giving them this year? It's all easy. Gift cards or cash for friends and family. the kids give me a list.

7. Do you send out Christmas cards? Is it permissible to email Christmas cards? Yes, I send out Christmas cards but would never email anyone a christmas card...How tacky!

8. What is the worst Christmas present you ever received? They have all been special. I appreciate everything I receive.

9. What is your favorite holiday movie? What is the holiday movie that makes you turn the channel if it's on TV? Rudolph. I can't think of a holiday movie that I don't like.

10. Are you more of a person that's done Christmas shopping by Halloween, or are you one of the people in the stores the night before Christmas starting your shopping? I always like to live on the edge. I just started with my shopping and won't be done until the last minute.

11. Have you ever "re-gifted" a Christmas present? What was it? NO, now that is tacky!

12. Do you decorate your tree with clear lights or colored lights? And do you throw the tinsel on the tree or hang it strand by strand? It depends, each year is different and yes, I use tinsel and hang it strand by strand.

13. Do you travel at Christmas or do you stay home? I never travel during Christmas. To much of a nightmare but who knows, when the kids grow up, things could change.
    14. Top of the tree - angel, star, or something else? ANGEL

15. Do you have a theme to your tree decorations? Or a "color" the tree is decorated in? No theme. Just use all the decorations I have year to year and add on to it each year.

16. Do you open your presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? Both

17. What's on the menu for Christmas dinner? Prime Rib, Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Green beans with Cranberry sauce. Plus, pumpkin pie, pecan pie and apple.

18. Besides lists of random questions asking about Christmas - what is the most annoying thing about the holidays? the materialism of the holiday.

19. What do you really hope Santa brings you for Christmas this year? I wish he could help all the people on this earth who are suffering! I wish for one day that all of us could be happy and have no worries. that would be my greatest wish.

4. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

1. Is it just me or do you, too, hate those "bags" that everyone is giving gifts in now? I think it's a bit cheesy and shows that the person giving the gift was too lazy to wrap it right - with wrapping paper. Do you use these bags? I do not hate the bags - I love them, use them, and don't think it is lazy!<o:p></o:p>

2. Is your Christmas tree real or artificial? I prefer to call it "flocked and pre-lit".

3. When do you generally put the tree up and take it down? Day after Thanksgiving and it comes down New Year's Day while I am watching football.

4. The only time I drink alcohol of any kind is the few weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas when egg nog is available in the grocery store. Then I go through a bunch of egg nog and a bunch of rum. Do you like egg nog? Is there some special food or drink that you only have during the holiday season and never have the rest of the year? I don't care for egg nog, but I have black eyed peas every new years day for luck.<o:p></o:p>

5. What is the best gift you received when you were a kid? Books

6. Who are your hardest and easiest people to buy for? What are you planning on giving them this year? I am, LOL - something spectacular, no doubt!<o:p></o:p>

7. Do you send out Christmas cards? Is it permissible to email Christmas cards? Yes, and Yes...sometimes that is the only contact information you have for a person, I don't see it as tacky at all as it is the thought that counts [we should all send CB one :) ] just kidding!

8. What is the worst Christmas present you ever received? I don't remember disliking one, but I'm sure it has happened over the years.<o:p></o:p>

9. What is your favorite holiday movie? What is the holiday movie that makes you turn the channel if it's on TV? Christmas Story and/or Miracle on 34th street

10. Are you more of a person that's done Christmas shopping by Halloween, or are you one of the people in the stores the night before Christmas starting your shopping? I am usually shopping on Christmas Eve, this year - I have been done and wrapped for a couple of weeks.<o:p></o:p>

11. Have you ever "re-gifted" a Christmas present? What was it? No, but if I get a fruitcake I might think about it ;)

12. Do you decorate your tree with clear lights or colored lights? And do you throw the tinsel on the tree or hang it strand by strand? clear now, blue in the past, and no tinsel<o:p></o:p>

13. Do you travel at Christmas or do you stay home? Used to travel, not anymore<o:p></o:p>

14. Top of the tree - angel, star, or something else? something else

15. Do you have a theme to your tree decorations? Or a "color" the tree is decorated in? Tiny toys and Teddy Bears

17. What's on the menu for Christmas dinner? Turkey or Ham - depends on the mood

18. Besides lists of random questions asking about Christmas - what is the most annoying thing about the holidays? I think you nailed it

19. What do you really hope Santa brings you for Christmas this year? A world without crimes against kids!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  5. heymom

heymom Member

1. Is it just me or do you, too, hate those "bags" that everyone is giving gifts in now? I think it's a bit cheesy and shows that the person giving the gift was too lazy to wrap it right - with wrapping paper. Do you use these bags?

Yes, I do use gift bags. I prefer to use paper but sometimes when I'm pressed for time, or the wrapping isn't right for the occasion, I grab a bag and tissue paper.

It's fake. Several years ago, I had bought my usual "fresh" tree, got it home, put it in the stand, and started putting lights on it. I got ALL the lights on it, and I put on a LOT of lights, and only then noticed that it was not taking up any water. I knew it would deteriorate before Christmas even arrived, so I pulled all the lights off, took it back, and got another tree, and started all over again. That year was my last with a real tree.

I try to get it up the day after Thanksgivng, because I NEVER shop that day. This year, it's still not finished because it's been so warm here, I am not in the mood.

4. The only time I drink alcohol of any kind is the few weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas when egg nog is available in the grocery store. Then I go through a bunch of egg nog and a bunch of rum. Do you like egg nog? Is there some special food or drink that you only have during the holiday season and never have the rest of the year?

I LOVE egg nog! My 14-year-old son loves it too, so we share it during the holidays (it's one thing we DON'T fight about!). I try not to drink very much of it, though, because it's SO rich and SO high-cal. I don't add any booze to it. I'm also one of those weirdos who actually likes fruitcake, the darker and richer, the better.

For Christmas? When my mom was alive, she did a great Christmas. I used to love opening my stocking, with all the little things inside it. I got stuffed animals that I loved dearly. Can't remember any one thing, though. We didn't have a lot of money, but we never lacked for love.

6. Who are your hardest and easiest people to buy for? What are you planning on giving them this year?

We are not really buying gifts this year - the kids are too big for toys. Hubby is getting us all an HDTV. I wanted to adopt a family through the post office, but time is getting short now.

I haven't sent out Christmas cards in several years. I do send email cards, they are the good ones, www.jacquielawson.com which everyone seems to like. If they think I'm tacky for doing it, they don't say to to my face!

One year, my sister and I were excited because the boxes from our dad were large and rather heavy. Inside were boots, half-calf, vinyl on the outside, acrylic fur on the inside, brown, and horribly ugly. This was during the time when "Beatle boots" were all the rage. Poor Daddy! He had no clue as to what would be good for 2 young girls. (The boots were quite warm, so it was a practical, if not glamourous, present.)

9. What is your favorite holiday movie? What is the holiday movie that makes you turn the channel if it's on TV?

Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." I just saw some of the George C. Scott version the other night and was blown away. He was fantastic as Scrooge! I never get tired of the Tiny Tim story. I liked the Henry Winkler version, set durng the Great Depression, as well.

10. Are you more of a person that's done Christmas shopping by Halloween, or are you one of the people in the stores the night before Christmas starting your shopping?

I used to be the former, now I just don't shop at all!

Never. I think that's just wrong.

12. Do you decorate your tree with clear lights or colored lights? And do you throw the tinsel on the tree or hang it strand by strand?

The tree is pre-lit with white lights, and we haven't had tinsel since I was a girl. Do they even sell it any more??

Stay home. The weather is too unpredictable to count on.

Usually it's a cross of some kind.

15. Do you have a theme to your tree decorations? Or a "color" the tree is decorated in?

I do white and gold ornaments first, and then the Hallmark collections I've gotten for each of our sons. A lot of our ornaments are religious ones.

One on Christmas Eve, the rest on Christmas morning. That is, when the kids were little. We do Mass on Christmas Eve, not the midnight one, though.

FIL is cooking it - I have no idea!

18. Besides lists of random questions asking about Christmas - what is the most annoying thing about the holidays?

That my favorite radio stations all switch to 24/7 Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving!

A better relationship between my husband and I - we're going through a rough patch. We'll be married 19 years next May.

6. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Ahhhhh Tis the season!

1. Bags sometimes are the only way to "wrap" an awkard gift...so yes, I use them
    2. Fake tree
    3. I haven't had a tree up for 2 years now because of my cats. They nearly destroyed it by tipping it over 2 years ago. That was the end of a tree for me.
    4. Egg nog is good but "Christmas cheer" is always welcome!!!!
    5. A blue Bike. My Mother made finding it like a treasure hunt with clues that my sis and I had to follow to the end. The final clue was "Stubb's 36 Chevy had pups". Stubb was my neighbor, a blacksmith, who had an old chevy he was restoring in his garage. The bikes were parked beside it...a red one for my sis and a blue one for me. I think I was 8.
    6. My parents were always hard to shop for. Now they are gone so it isn't an issue.
    7. Yes, I send cards but my list is dwindling as I strike off those who don't return a card to me each year. Email no.
    8. Worst present was no present. I had a different life once and I was working a double shift one Christmas in the ICU. My "family" at that time thought I wasn't interested in my gifts so they took them for themselves. (True story)
    9. Christmas Story and the worst is "It's a Wonderful Life" Oh please spare me from it ever again.
    10. Some years I'm finished in Oct. Catalogs are great!
    11. Never regifted
    12. Colored lights and no tinsel...have cats remember.
    13. Pretty much stay home except this year I'll be going to Lake Tahoe with Bro and SIL.
    14. Angel
    15. No theme but almost always red balls.
    16. Both but only one the night before.
    17. Either Prime Rib or Honey baked ham. It alternates from year to year.
    18. All the fakeness and "phoney boloney holiday greetings"
    19. A low/no cost spay/neuter clinic everywhere to avoid unwanted and abandoned pets.

7. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Depends - if it's something too bulky to wrap, I use the bags. I also wrap.

Artificial, dahling. I don't like to uproot or cut live trees.

The day after Thanksgiving. Take it down the week after Christmas.

Don't drink much. Egg nog is good, only I leave the rum out.

My new Huffy bike - blue and white. Loved that bike. Also, a record player.

Don't have any that are hard, since I know what everyone needs and wants.

No, I don't send out Christmas cards. Who has time?

Never received any bad gifts. Loved all of them.

Love Charlie Brown Christmas.

I'm done by Thanksgiving, if not before. Then, I continue to pick up something that someone might like. Bad habit.

Nevah...

Colored lights. Don't use tinsel, because I hate it.

Stay home.

This year I have a huge red sheer bow at the top of the tree with ribbons hanging down the tree fromit.

Tree is decorated with red poinsettias and tons of glittery things I've picked up every year in the after-Christmas sales - you know, the ornaments that cost $10-$20 that you would never buy, but they are marked 75% off after Christmas.

Christmas Eve.

Strip steaks/shrimp cocktail, for Christmas Eve. Haven't decided about Christmas Day, yet.

Humbug grinches.

19. What do you really hope Santa brings you

Honestly, there is not one thing that I need or desire. I'd rather give than get, it's still a joy after all these years to watch my kids open their gifts. I only want happy, contented kids and good food.

8. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Moab says I have to do this. Bah humbug. Darn pyrate.

:gift:

1. I use both wrapping paper and the decorative bags with tissue papers. Mostly wrapping for Christmas because of little hands and eyes. But the bags are quite beautifully decorated, particularly with colored tissue blooming out the top. Also you can re-use the bags, which are fun for the recipient to pass on, whereas wrapping paper just gets trashed--not good for the planet, really.

2. Small, artificial white tree with those opitical lights--completely tacky but takes 30 minutes to get up and ready and the colors are fantastic at night. I used to get the real trees, because they smell so good and are so lovely, but got tired of picking the needles out of the carpet. WY's idea is true, too--save a tree.

3. Put the tree up when I feel like it, usually a couple of weeks before Christmas; generally take it down New Year's Day or maybe the next if I'm busy.

4. Never had eggnog, but was thinking of finding a good recipe this year to make some and try it. I don't drink that much, really. I like the idea, but it's just never been something I do. For one thing, my body doesn't tolerate it well. I learned that HS graduation night. God, I wanted to die the next day.

5. A Barbie doll house: I had to put that sucker together myself, and it took me all day. I was maybe 10. That's when I learned how to READ DIRECTIONS. Whew.

6. Hardest to buy present for--hands down, hubby; I call him the Grinch. Easiest--eveyone else. Giving hubby--I have no idea.... :nervous: Everyone else--things I hope they enjoy and use a lot.

7. I send out cards every year, though I know it's a dwindling tradition and not everyone does. I just enjoy picking out the beautiful cards and sending something to those I love to let them know we're thinking of them. E-cards are GREAT, too, because they move and talk and sing and dance...what's better than that?

8. The worst Christmas present I got was from hubby, when we were having A VERY BAD YEAR. (Heymom, hang in there, it happens in long marriages.) It wasn't that it was cheap, it was that it was so thoughtless as to be insulting, like he walked up to a counter in a store and said Here, I'll just get this, and since it's so cheap, I'll get TWO in different colors. It was like a knife in my heart when I opened it. The impersonal and universally generic items you would give to a co-worker you didn't know well went into the trash shortly after Christmas, just because I couldn't look at them without feeling that pain. He has no idea. (PS: Now that I remember that awful Christmas, I gave him two very expensive kitchen KNIVES. Subconscious sneaking out all over! :floor: ) But in all fairness, he is historically the worst gift giver ever. He just doesn't get shopping--thank god I'm an expert. (And he's not cheap, either, just that one year--really, really BAD YEAR.) Thank heavens he's got other traits which are wonderful. :winkaway:

9. Polar Express is my favorite holiday movie. It's not only a wonderful movie, but hubby and I took grandson to see it at an IMAX, in 3-D, and IT WAS AWESOME! Even the Grinch loved it! Honestly, I don't watch holiday movies on TV that much. I can only take so much schmaltz, after alll. PYRATE! (Hm. A pyrate and a grinch. That explains a lot.)

10. I usually shop in earnest after Thanksgiving, but I have found presents in July I save for Christmas. I like to be done before the last few days of rush, but...there's always the Grinch...not easy...sometimes, it takes pure panic to make that purchase.

11. You know, I may have passed something on that I didn't use for some reason, but I can't really remember if I did. Not something I think about doing, because I usually only give gifts that I actually pick with the person in mind. And I'm always so happy that someone thought of me, I keep gifts because they make me feel good when I see them. Well...except for...you know...Grinch.

12. Optical lights came on the tree, and that's what I've used for three years now. No tinsel, no balls or thingies. Though this year I bought some Christmas ribbon and curled it and hung it from the top, draped down the tree. Lovely. Easy.

13. Traveled for most of my adult years until the last three or so. Now I stay at home.

14. Star on top. I love the stars.

15. My tree theme: EASY and COLORFUL. With something a little different every year. Never know until it happens.

16. Open presents: Christmas day, before or after Christmas dinner, when my family is here.

17. What's on the menu for Christmas dinner? We're having a Christmas breakfast this year, with smoked ham, scrambled eggs, pancakes with strawberries and cream, homemade biscuits, grits, orange juice, and fresh ground coffee. Then we're spending the day with The Fam, playing games, listening to Christmas music, cooking dinner and having cooking lessons, and maybe even a tarot reading for fun. Hot apple cider with cinnamon. Some cake and brownies, etc. Dinner...haven't decided yet, but sweet potato casserole and cornbread dressing will be part of it, I'm sure, as those are the dishes that got raves at Thanksgiving, as ever. Probably a nice roast beast.

18. Most annoying: The baggage. Ghosts of Christmas Past. World War II haunted my every Christmas as a child, when my veteran father struggled with his demons from that war.

19. "What do you really hope Santa brings you for Christmas this year?" My new bathroom completed--which would be the best Christmas present ever from hubby.

9. koldkase

Thanks for thinking of this thread, niner. It's fun.

Niner, I LOVE Carey in The Grinch movie. While I don't care much for him in general as an actor, I saw that movie with my grandson and think Carey was born to play this role. I love Dr. Seuss, of course, and the costumes and sets are so fantastical in this movie. Plus the music is great, too. But my FAVORITE THING in this movie? As ever...THE DOG STEALS IT! Also, when my grandson was very young, we played a VIDEOGAME of The Grinch, and it was so much fun! Took us all summer. We had a ball.

Colorado Babe, do you mean you want WHIRLED PEAS for Christmas? :yes:

Moab: 2. Is your Christmas tree real or artificial? I prefer to call it "flocked and pre-lit". :floor:

Heymom: Just don't give your hubby knives for Christmas. :bateye: (See my answers on presents.)

Zoomama: LOVE your Christmas wish! :highfive:

Watching You: Most annoying--Humbug grinches. I MUST introduce you to hubby.... :tsmile:

10. Zotto

Zotto FFJ Senior Member

I'm enjoying all the responses. Here goes for mine:

1. LOVE LOVE LOVE Christmas bags. HATE wrapping presents of any kind, has always been one of the things I hate to do. Like giving presents, just hate wrapping!

2. Artificial...20 inch high tabletop pre-decorated tree. When the kids were young we did the bigger tree and decorating thing.

3. About two weeks before Christmas it goes up and one week after it comes down.

4. Not keen on egg nog...too rich. Love cocktails Christmas Day, and pink champagne.

5. We weren't rich when I was a kid...Mum sewed my sister and I these huge Mickey and Minnie Mouse dolls...they were taller than we were. Loved them to bits.

6. Hardest - used to be my boss, now the easiest. Get him and his wife the same gift every year now...gift voucher for dinner at expensive restaurant.
    Hardest...just friends. Can never think of what to get them.

7. Yes, but very few. I don't mind e-cards a bit.

8. My Aunty bought me a knitted yellow bonnet type of hat when I was 5 or I opened it, took one look and started bawling and saying I didn't like it. Mum tried to hush me but I sobbed louder and louder and I was taken out of the room LOL!

9. Love The Sound of Music...not Christmassy, but like a comfortable old slipper at holiday times.

10. Mostly start shopping in late October.

11. Yes have regifted, but only small things from work colleagues who have only given out of a sense of obligation anyway.

12. As above - predecorated tree.

13. Both, but usually stay in the same city.

14. Angel

15. No

16. Christmas morning for immediate family and after lunch for extended family.

17. This year: prawn/avocado appetizer, Thai salmon for main meal and Mum's brilliant plum pudding with brandy custard for dessert. (Hanging my head in shame...I LOVE fruitcake and mince pies)

18. Shopping crowds and never ending Christmas carols in the shopping centres!

19. He already has...a satellite navigation system for my car...just fantastic!

11. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

1. Is it just me or do you, too, hate those "bags" that everyone is giving gifts in now? Not really.
    Do you use these bags? At times. It depends on what the gift is.

2. Is your Christmas tree real or artificial? Artificial

3. When do you generally put the tree up and take it down? I put it up in early December and take it down usually the week of the Epiphany.

4. Do you like egg nog? Yes
    Is there some special food or drink that you only have during the holiday season and never have the rest of the year? Probably fruitcake

5. What is the best gift you received when you were a kid? I've enjoyed all of my gifts.

6. Who are your hardest and easiest people to buy for? No one in particular for both. It all depends on what is on their list. What are you planning on giving them this year? Not telling

7. Do you send out Christmas cards? Yes
    Is it permissible to email Christmas cards? I suppose it is.

8. What is the worst Christmas present you ever received? A "Bag o' Barbed Wire". Hours of creative fun, my :(:(:(! :mad:

9. What is your favorite holiday movie? The Polar Express
    What is the holiday movie that makes you turn the channel if it's on TV? Cranky the Obnoxiously Drunk and Flatulent Elf

10. Are you more of a person that's done Christmas shopping by Halloween, or are you one of the people in the stores the night before Christmas starting your shopping? I tend to have my shopping done a few days before Christmas.

11. Have you ever "re-gifted" a Christmas present? No

12. Do you decorate your tree with clear lights or colored lights? Colored lights
    And do you throw the tinsel on the tree or hang it strand by strand? No tinsel

13. Do you travel at Christmas or do you stay home? I stay at home.

14. Top of the tree - angel, star, or something else? A bow

15. Do you have a theme to your tree decorations? No theme. Just multicolored lights with multicolored ornament balls and gold garland.

17. What's on the menu for Christmas dinner? Don't know yet.

18. Besides lists of random questions asking about Christmas - what is the most annoying thing about the holidays? Excess materialism

19. What do you really hope Santa brings you for Christmas this year? Don't know

-Tea

12. heymom

heymom Member

A Bag O' Barbed WIRE???? Really??? And you aren't a rancher girl??? I cannot imagine!!! Even for a rancher chick, that's a bad present.

This is a funny thread.

13. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

It's not cheesy, and it doesn't necessarily mean a person is too lazy to wrap a present. The bags are usually very nice and decorative, and the best thing about them is they are environmentally-friendly as they are a form of recycling and don't waste paper. After Christmas, the trash bins are LOADED with wrapping paper that only ends up in the landfills. But don't get me started. :)

Artificial.

It goes up sometime after Thanksgiving, and usually comes down after New Year's.

I do not like egg nog. My mom tried to get us to like it growing up, but it was too rich for me. Of course, Mom is a teetotaler, so perhaps if she'd put some rum in it, I might have developed a taste for it. LOL

Don't get me started on fruit cake. We had some given to us when I was growing up that could have been used as door stops. Or weapons. I think we may have been given fruit cakes that were originally baked during my grandma's childhood, and they were still making the rounds. In fact, they may STILL be in circulation. Yikes!

I cannot pick out the BEST gift I received as a child, but one of the ones I remember was when I was about 8 or 9. I got a Thumbelina doll that was very popular at the time. We didn't have much money growing up, so to get a store-bought popular toy was amazing. My sister, who was a couple of years younger than me also got one. To top it off, they came with bottles that drained when you fed them. I cannot tell you how many hours my sister and I spent feeding our orange-juice-and-milk-logged Thumbelinas. LOL

Generally, in MY family, I think it's easier to buy for the females than the males.

That's for me to know, and you to find out.
    ;)

I used to be very faithful about sending out Christmas cards. For YEARS, I sent out Christmas cards, but after the e-mail revolution, I quit. It's a nice thought, but I generally stay in touch with everyone through the year via online communication.

Of COURSE, it's permissible to e-mail Christmas cards! It's the thought that counts, and many e-cards are creative and fun. (Who is the judgemental scrooge who wrote these original questions? Give people a break, live and let live, and quit being so persnickety about stuff that doesn't matter like gift bags and e-cards.)

I can't think of one.

I don't watch much TV. When I was growing up, I always loved The Christmas Carol with Mr. Magoo, The Charlie Brown Christmas Special, and the Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer Special narrated by Burl Ives. In the past few years, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is a guilty pleasure. There are certain scenes in the movie that make me laugh no matter how many times I've seen it.

I've never had all my Christmas shopping done by Halloween, and I SEVERELY resent anyone who does. :bigstick: I try to get most of my shopping done the week before Christmas, but there have been a couple of years when I finished my shopping on Christmas Eve. That was a long time ago when I was single and stupid.

I can't remember a specific instance, but I don't see anything wrong with it. If you've been given something really nice by an acquaintance or business associate that you'd never use, and you know someone who would use it, or you need a small gift for a distant acquaintance or teacher or co-worker, I don't see the harm. It's better than it sitting around taking up space, or being thrown in the trash.

Clear lights.

We don't have tinsel on our tree now, but we used to have it growing up. In fact, one of the most fun parts of decorating the tree was being allowed to throw the tinsel after everything else was put on.

Travel.

A star.

Mostly colors of red and gold.

Both. Christmas Eve with my side of the family, Christmas Day with hubby's family.

Don't know yet.

The rampant materialism; the lie that we HAVE to have everything we want, and that Christmas is about GETTING presents.

I don't really have anything in mind that I want from Santa, but I do pray for the good health of my family and friends, and that somehow, there will be less abuse of those who cannot defend themselves, especially children and animals.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  14. Elle

Elle Member

1. I use those lovely silver and gold coloured bags, and I also wrap presents too.

2. Just stopped buying real trees last year. Don't bother with one any more. We dont take a turn in cooking Christmas dinner, because it's always held at my oldest son's house now.

3. Because a real tree does dry quicker inside the house, we had it up for two weeks.

4.Don't care for egg nog. Too thick and creamy. Would rather have a Pina Colada or Champagne. White wine with a turkey dinner doesn't hurt. Don't eat a real cooked turkey until Thanksgiving - First Monday in October in Canada, and then Christmas.

5. A real watch.

6. My grandchildren, the youngest ones are the hardest to buy for, because they are spoiled by the whole family. :) I have already bought a spy camera and a talking Nerf Ball for my youngest grandson 8 years, and art and crafts for my six year old granddaughter. The easiest person to buy for is my 13 year old granddaughter who loves to make jewlery herself, and likes to paint with acrylics.

The oldest grandchildren in their early 20's are joining the adults for the first time in buying one gift for $20 and we're playing some sort of game before we get the chance to pick a gift for either gender. Sure will save all of us a lot of cash this year. :)

7. Yes, I send out cards locally and overseas. I send out Jacquie Lawson e-mail cards to my family, as well as a Christmas card.

8. I don't remember receiving a bad Christmas present from anyone.

9. It's a Christmas tradition for us to visit my oldest son on Christmas Eve, and watch the movie "A Christmas Carol" made in 1953 with Alistair Sim playing Scrooge. This was because our sons watched Scrooge with us on Christmas Eve, when they were very young boys.

10. I'm a late starter when it comes to Christmas, and I'm still out there on Christmas Eve, and I love the hustle bustle of the last minute shopping. I have never shopped long before Christmas in my life. I just started yesterday.

11. No, I have never regifted a Christmas present. I wouldn't feel right about that at all.

12. We always used coloured lights on our tree and wound the tinsel around it.

13. We are usually with family and don't travel.

14. I have used an angel and a star at different times.

15. No, our tree was never the perfect looking store tree, but my son's is, and it always looks as if they have just pinched the whole thing right from one of those big stores. It's just too perfect for me. To each his own. I still enjoy looking at it, in spite of how I feel.

16. Presents are opened with my husband on Christmas morning, and we feel a bit on the sad side, and long for the days when we had our sons around us, and then this passes and we open our presents.

17. I'm sure it will be the famous turkey for dinner.

18. The most annoying thing about the holidays for me, is that we have to return to an empty house when I would rather be with the family all of the time.

19. I am a movie buff, and I would like a great big pile of DVD's, but it isn't easy choosing them. I often go into Wal-Mart and they have a sale on DVD's in there, but it's not always easy to choose the best ones. Even picking your favourite star can be a big mistake. Yesterday I came across Black and White DVD's of Alfred Hitchcock's movies, and even some TV Series. I don't care too much for the oldies, but when the TV movies aren't good, I can always browse through them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2007
  15. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

I use the bags at times. But mostly, I wrap the presents. The thing with the bags is I can never get the tissue paper to look right so I find it easier and more creative to use wrapping paper. Besides, it's not as much fun to just peer into a bag to see what you got!

My Christmas tree is real and I wouldn't have it any other way. Last year, we went to Germany to spend Christmas with my daughter so I didn't get a tree for the first time in my married life. Big mistake! I missed the smell of the tree and sitting down at night to watch the lights twinkle while listening to Christmas music and eating gingerbread boys.

I like to put the tree up very early in the season...by December 1st if possible and I keep it up til Jan. 6.

I do like eggnog, but only in small quantities. My gingerbread boys are what I look forward to eating all year long.

Whew! This is a tough one. One of the most memorable was a globe, believe it or not. It felt like having the whole world at my fingertips. I couldn't get enough of looking at all the places in the world so neatly laid out on shiny ball.

Kids are the easiest to buy for. I loved meeting my children's Christmas dreams when they were little and I loved the delight they showed. My mother in law is hard to buy for - she has more money than God and she tends to be critical of gifts and return what you get her.
    This year is hard. My brother died one week ago today..Dec. 7. He was diagnosed with cancer of throat, liver and bone on October 1 so it's been a shock. I know what I'm getting each member of my family, but don't know or have much inclination to find out about shopping for others. My heart just isn't into doing the shopping thing. (For my family, I'm using Shutterfly to make a book of photos of my brother. I highly recommend this site...they books they produce from your submitted digital photos are incredible. And yes, you can do text.)

I send out Christmas cards and no it is not permissible to send out email Christmas cards.

A hubcab. And to make matters worse...I got TWO!!! My hubby thought it would be a wonderful gift to replace one that fell off my car and then his brother got the same bright idea! Nothing makes you feel more feminine and loved than opening up two hubcabs on Christmas morning.

I love Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story and One Magic Christmas. I don't turn the channel off for any of them. I"m a elementary school music teacher and this year, for their reward/Christmas party I'm showing them the movie to the book "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." Very funny movie!

Usually, I'm the done by Halloween type, mostly because I don't like malls or shopping.

Yes, I have. My sister in laws mother gives me all these corny gifts taht I'm sure are HER regifts and then I use them for white elephant gift exchange parties I'm invited to.

We decorate with colored lights, just for tradition but i love the white lights. And we hang the tinsel strand by strand. (Although this year, we didnt' even bother with the tinsel.)

We've done some of both. As mentioned, we were in Germany last year. Weve gone to Banff Canada two out of the last five years...though we left the day after Christmas both those times. I like Christmas at home the best

Funny you should ask..I've had an angel topper for the last 10 years or so but this year I changed it out for a star.

No theme..unless you count family traditions. Ornaments teh kids made...ornaments I collect on trips...that's most of our tree.

One Christmas eve, the rest Christmas morning.

Turkey and all the trimmings

The commercialism..and too many events crammed into too small a time.

Wow...the first thought that popped into my head was..."my brother back!" but no...I guess I don't really have a thought of what I'd like from Santa.
    my answers follow...

16. koldkase

hahaha Thanks for sharing. I'm laughing so much.

Bad presents: Zotto, that must have been ONE UGLY YELLOW HAT! A bag of barbed wire, Tea? You are making that up, right? TWO HUBCAPS, Pearlsim? My cheap knit scarves are looking better by the post.... :floor:

Chero, I have your fruit cake.

And you had me...sniff...all choked up with your Tiny Tim story of Mom making dolls for her girls, Zotto...choke...sniff.... God bless us every one! :hug:

Elle, have you ever noticed in your traditional A Christmas Carol film when Scrooge wakes up in bed after his epiphany and calls his maid, he runs to his mirror, joyful...and if you look in the mirror, you can see a man/crew member in short hair and modern clothes watching the scene, then he moves when he realizes he's in the picture? I always get a kick out of that gaffe. I consider this film of the story the best yet, though I enjoy all of them, even Bill Murray's cheesy modern take. I like Christmas Vacation, too, but it's a bit close to home, as I KNOW THOSE PEOPLE. :eek:

Also, have you ever seen the foreign film Babette's Feast? One of my all time favorite movies, one of those quiet, visually moving films that feel like a spiritual experience and make you cry deep down with the beauty of the human spirit. Though I have to say, Moab hated it. Can't remember if it included the Christmas season, but it has a lot of snow and cooking and a true spirit of giving, so it works! Well...except for...you know who....

17. Elle

Elle Member

KK wrote:

Yes, KK, I was told about a technician being seen in the mirror and I just saw his face and shoulders moving, because it's quite a small mirror. I don't remember seeing his clothes. I'll be seeing it again soon for the umpteenth time. I like the part where he says he must simply stand on his head, and then he dances around singing "I don't know anything, I never did know anything." We all recite our favourite parts along with the actors.

I never saw Bill Murray's Scrooge, or Christmas Vacation, but I liked Henry Winkler's Scrooge. He was really good in this part. A lot of people like Sim's version of "A Christmas Carol" the best.

"Babette's Feast." Never heard of it, but I'll look for it the next time I'm browsing through the DVD's at Wal-Mart. :)

Thanks KK for putting in the title "A Christmas Carol" I had it posted as "Scrooge" and changed it.

18. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Actually, I loved it, but I thought I was going to hate it so I had it a long time before I finally watched it...dumb aging pirates...they can't remember anything!
    :floor:

19. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Pearlsim

That breaks my heart about your brother. :rose:

20. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Thank you all for sharing...

I'll get to the questionnaire tomorrow.

KK...we just watched "Babette's Feast" last week, for about the tenth time. One of my all-time favorites. And I cry every time I watch it.

Elle...our son gave us Netflix for a year. It's so easy to use...no running out to rent or bring back DVDs. We watch 2 or 3 a week. Last night, it was Mr. Bean. I laughed myself silly! You should try Netflix. They have all the golden oldies, plus new films, too.(Over 90,000 titles, also TV series, the best of BBC, etc.) It's not expensive. Hint to your son about it!

Pearlsim, so sorry to hear about your brother. Christmas will be different for you this year. That's how it was for me last year, after losing my favorite sister to cancer. May you be consoled by the beautiful memories of Christmases past.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice