Chase Murder Arrest!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Jan 27, 2008.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Big thanks to Steve Huff for this find!

http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/jan/27/significant-developments-susannah-chase-homicide/

Boulder police have made an arrest in connection with the brutal 1997 slaying of University of Colorado student Susannah Chase based on a DNA match, investigators announced this afternoon.

The suspect, Diego ElCaldez, 38, is facing murder, kidnapping and sexual assault charges and is being held on $5 million at the Boulder County Jail.

"We're ecstatic," Boulder police Chief Mark Beckner said at an afternoon press conference announcing the arrest.

Police said the suspect is from Chile and has family in Aurora, but never lived in Boulder and may have been involved in other crimes.

He was in custody in Wyoming before being transferred to the Boulder County Jail.

Chase, 23, was attacked Dec. 21, 1997, across the street from her home at the corner of 18th and Spruce streets, according to Boulder police. Investigators said she was brutally beaten and left nearly dead in an alley about one block away. She died the following day at Boulder Community Hospital.

In the decade since Chase's death, detectives have ruled out more than 100 people as potential suspects — about 50 men have been tested for possible DNA matches, and another 50 people have been dismissed through alibi checks.

2. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

That's good news!

3. she wounded

she wounded Member

Good deal. Justice on the rise. :)

4. Elle

Elle Member

Absolutel fantastic news, RiverRat. How sad. What a beautiful young girl Susan Chase was. To think she was attacked right opposite her own home. This is very upsetting, Why is it these creeps are not content with what they have already taken from these young women when raping them, that they have to brutalize and kill them? What the hell is wrong with these sadistic bastids? He is going right back to where he came from - prison. Three cheers!

5. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Just shows what you can do with a REAL DNA case!

6. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Hm. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I"m glad they caught him, because he's obviously a violent kidnapper and killer. If this is the guy--and the DNA should be a strong incriminator in this case as it was semen, it was only a matter of time before he did it again.

Of course, his defense will be it was consensual and he didn't murder her. Or at worst, didn't mean to kill her.

Maybe Lacy will take him home and make it all better.

7. Tril

Tril Member

Will Team Ramsey try to pin JonBenet's death on this man?

8. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

There, that's better.

9. Paradox

:floor:

After all, he's a victim too.

10. Paradox

Plea bargain this, Mary. :flipper:

11. RiverRat

Obviously! That means that we get to brush to dust off and get back to work!

12. RiverRat

"Originally Posted by Paradox"

"Boulder police have [reluctantly] made an arrest in connection with the brutal 1997 slaying of University of Colorado student Susannah Chase [because their backs were against the wall and they had no choice seeing as how they made such a mockery of things with the Karr fiasco] based on a DNA match, [which their Mommies told them was a real thingy and they should pay attention to honest to goodness scientists] investigators announced this afternoon [while choking down about a ton of crow and trying hard as hell to not look like Pee Wee Herman trying to make a comeback].

http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/jan/28/significant-developments-susannah-chase-homicide/

"Police said Alcalde, who was released from prison last June and had never lived in Boulder, was arrested in Aurora on Saturday at his mother's home and is being held in the Boulder County Jail on $5 million bond. He is facing charges of first-degree murder, felony murder, second-degree kidnapping and first-degree sexual assault.

"Obviously, the department is ecstatic over this," Beckner said at a press conference at police headquarters Sunday. "I think this (arrest) will have a healing effect."

:pirate: I do not feel healed, Beckner!!!

13. RiverRat

Maybe my a$$......

"Sunday, Boulder County District Attorney Mary Lacy said she will personally prosecute Alcalde, along with Assistant District Attorney Pete Maguire."

14. RiverRat

Rmn

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/28/database-comes-up-with-link/

"The nation's 18-year-old effort to build a national database of criminal DNA evidence slowly is paying off - it took seven years after Diego Olmos-Alcalde entered the Wyoming prison system before he was identified as a suspect in a Boulder rape and murder.

The FBI has operated the Combined DNA Index System, or CODIS, since 1994, but there are still several states that don't fully contribute either crime-scene DNA analyses or DNA profiles of many convicted criminals.

Police had been without a solid suspect since Susannah Chase, a University of Colorado student, was raped and murdered in 1997. In 2004, a then-new DNA testing procedure established that the suspect was Hispanic or American Indian. But that was all the genetics revealed until Friday, when a match was made with Olmos-Alcalde."

Attached Files:

15. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Several homicides remain unsolved in Boulder County, some of which have DNA evidence entered into the federal database. That includes the high-profile JonBenet Ramsey slaying.

John Mark Karr was arrested in August 2006 on suspicion of killing JonBenet, 6, on Christmas 1996, but he was cleared of the crime when his DNA didn't match evidence taken from the scene.

About JonBenet's unsolved homicide and the chances a DNA match will turn up in that case, Lacy said, "I have great hope."

So does Ramsey family attorney L. Lin Wood. Upon hearing of Sunday's arrest in the Chase case, Wood said, "It's almost unbelievable."

"I have said for many years now that I thought DNA would eventually solve the JonBenet Ramsey murder, and the Susannah Chase arrest -- based on a random DNA hit -- certain substantiates my position in the Ramsey case," Wood said. "It elevates greatly John Ramsey's hope that JonBenet's killer will be brought to justice."

http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/jan/28/dna-match-in-chase-slaying-offers-hope-for-other/

16. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

This DNA evidence had better be a hell of a lot better than the so-called DNA evidence in the JBR case. I'm sorry, but given the way Lacy et al have tried to make a case on the alleged foreign DNA in JBR's underwear, how can anyone trust anything they say in any case?

Hopefully, this DNA is a little more trustworthy than the JBR DNA, or should I say, than the spin on the JBR DNA.

17. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

This is semen, so I think I read it was a "good /reliable" sample.

18. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Spin, spin, and more spin. It makes me want to :puke:

I KNEW Lin Wood and Mary Lacy waste no time in using the Chase arrest to further their own cause of whitewashing the Ramsey's reputation, and hold out false hope for an intruder who doesn't exist.

Did I say it makes me :puke:?!??

19. heymom

heymom Member

What, they're going to dig Patsy up and put her on trial???

20. Paradox

Ironically Wood is correct. The lack of DNA evidence proves the lack of an intruder.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice