McCann Case Still Unsolved?

Discussion in 'Madeleine McCann' started by koldkase, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,329272,00.html

2. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Just like that?! :curses:

3. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Another badly botched investigation, leading to a crime against a child never solved. Yeah, like Boulder, they want this one buried as far down as they can dig.

4. Elle

Elle Member

This is very bad news KK, I'm very sorry to hear this. What a sad state of affairs.

5. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Yes, it is.

However, it is fortunate that the McCanns have millions of dollars in their Maddie Fund with which they can continue a private investigation and search.

6. Elle

Elle Member

7. Nana

Nana Member

He seems to have learned this path, as the others "arguidos" made the same thing. From 19/03 news:

"Damages understood to be in the range of six figures will be paid to the Find Madeleine fund. Sky News reported that the sum could be as high as £550,000."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/19/nmccann119.xml

"Kate and Gerry McCann accepted £550,000 libel damages today over allegations that they were responsible for the death of their daughter Madeleine."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...parents-of-madeleine-mccann-797875.html?r=RSS

I guess LurkerXIV is right, they can go on without the PJ.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  8. rashomon

rashomon Member

I haven't read up on this case for a while: have the parents officially been cleared as suspects?
    If not, why not?

9. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you for this update, Nana. No one seems to be posting on this case any more. So, the McCanns received £550,000 for the Find Madeleine fund. I didn't know that.

10. Nana

Nana Member

Rash and Elle

The parents are still "under the umbrella" (!). The PJ surely have something on them, maybe not strong enough to win a court case. It must be hard to face the British power that came upon them, but they are still holding the "arguido" status of the celebrity parents. We don't know what happened to that little girl, and probably we never will, but I held them accountable. They were reckless in letting their children unattended many nights in a row in a foreigner country just to enjoy themselves. I don't give them a pass for this. If somebody manage to snatch the child from her bedroom without leaving evidence, it's their lack of responsibility that allowed this to happen. It's a no win situation.

I think their story is a bad told tale.

- The only timeline available is provided by them. If they were taking turns to watch the children every half an hour (without watches or cell phones), this would leave a very narrow window for some stranger to take the girl without a sound. I don't think a 4 years old baby would be awaken and follow a stranger without any sign of a struggle.
    If they were not watching them at all, this scenario is more plausible, but then they were more irresponsible than before and lied from the day one.

- The only sketch of a suspect (if that can be a sketch!) is provided by one of the Tapas9 friends, as well as the accusations about Mr. Murat. How come an entire resort not having a single sight of them? Should we take their words as gospel? After many glasses of wine? Not a chance.

For me, they should spend their time going back to Praia da Luz to help the reconstitution of the crime instead of touring the British media complaining about the investigation. They said they only would help if they have their "arguidos" status lifted. What are they afraid of? I think this is a "deja vu" all over again.

From April, 28 news: (bold mine)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...'could-make-andpound1-million-from-book'.html

"Kate and Gerry McCann could make £1 million from a book they are planning to write about their life since their daughter Madeleine vanished a year ago, a publisher said yesterday."

snip...

"It emerged recently that Gonçalo Amaral, the disgraced Portuguese police officer, plans to publish his own book. Mr Mitchell said it was an attempt by Mr Amaral, who was sacked from the investigation after criticising the British police, to make money from the case."

How Ramsey this can be? I have a link to a YouTube video which is very worthy to watch, but I don't know if I can post it here, so if someone want to see, feel free to pm me.

I don't think Maddie will be found, but I wish from the bottom of my heart they prove me wrong.

11. Nana

Nana Member

More of the same...

Unbelievable! From April, 29, 2008 news: (bold mine)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1905233/McCann-twins-search-house-for-Madeleine.html

snip

"The couple are determined to counter many of the false stories which have been circulating since their daughter disappeared in Praia da Luz on May 3 last year.
    They hope to make a profit from their story - which has attracted worldwide attention - to help the fund to find her.
    Mr and Mrs McCann, who are still suspects in Madeleine's disappearance and cannot talk about the case until their arguido status is lifted, will use a ghost writer. "

snip

"It is a legitimate way of raising money for the fund but would also give them a chance to put across their side of the story, and to talk about some of the wider issues," he said.
    "It will be the family's story, the only official book. It will be a detailed account of their experience, from the pain of the night Madeleine was kidnapped, to being named as official suspects in the investigation."

snip

"News of the couple's book comes just days after it emerged that disgraced Portuguese police officer Gonçalo Amaral plans to publish his own book about the case.
    Mr Amaral, who was sacked from the Portuguese inquiry after criticising the British police, is penning a book called The Truth of the Lie which may be turned into a documentary.
    Mr Mitchell criticised Mr Amaral and said it was an attempt to make money out of the situation.
    Police inspector Paulo Cristovão has written a fictional account of the investigation called The Star of Madeleine, which has become a best-seller in Portugal.
    Mr Mitchell said: "A number of books are being published in Portugal and the UK. Kate and Gerry want the public to know the real truth."

CM is really saying: "Many people are cashing on the girl's disappearance. Why can't her parents do the same?"

Where do they refer to Maddie' suffering?
    What about this "real truth"? I assumed they were saying it all the time... :duped:

12. Nana

Nana Member

Excuses and more excuses...

- If the kids weren't tired
    - If the Millennium was not too far
    - If they had a listening service
    - If the crèche didn't close early (around 11 Pm)...

From April, 30, 2008 news:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ann-left-alone-as-'last-minute-decision'.html

On Madeleine’s disappearance

snip

He said: “Everyone knows the fear, fear for your daughter, fear for yourself, fear for your family, fear for everything and that horrible kind of adrenalin: fight, flight.”

They were so afraid for their family that they toured around Europe leaving the twins behind.

snip

“Obviously, we were up all night and just waited for the first bit of light at six o’clock.”

I'd wait for a phone call from the kidnappers.

On being made suspects

snip

She said: “As soon as I realised the theory that Madeleine was dead and that we’d been involved, it just hit home: they haven’t been looking for Madeleine. I just felt yet again my daughter has had such a disservice.

The first disservice was provided by them, the ones Maddie trusted the most.

snip

She said she thought of herself as a “lioness and her cubs”, saying: “I’d do whatever it took to protect them.”

A lioness would never let her cubs alone. She can and would kill a lion, even the cubs father to protect them. Kate would do whatever it took to proctect her children, unless a dinner party with friends appears in the way.

It emerged yesterday that their status as arguidos will remain in place for a further three months.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  13. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Oh my.

There was a lengthy documentary on tv last week which dispelled much of the misinformation about the case and some of the hate mail they have been sent is truly sick. Some are being investigated by the police.

The latest update is that the McCanns have been quietly working working day and night for a change in the law and to help missing children charities as much as they can. They blame themselves entirely and say they will have to live with it for the rest of their lives. However, they are keen to put their energies into helping others as well as continuing to look for Madeleine.

They are suing newspapers and websites and many websites have been closed down as a result. They seem to be winning all of their lawsuits - a sure sign of the sheer level of misinformation which has been perpetuated. The money they receive from the lawsuits goes to the Madeleine fund.

I would do anything I could to help fine Madeleine. Even at this late stage, I'd go and join a physical search if there was any chance it would be useful. I have donated and will continue to donate to the fund.

14. Nana

Nana Member

From what I read this documentary wasn't produced by BBC, which indicates the interest in the case has decreased, for they were broadcasting 24/7 when Maddie went missing. The hate mail shouldn't come as a surprise, that's a price for the media frenzy they brought to themselves. There are nutsos on the loose more than we think. Maybe people didn't like the fact that the couple used the fund to pay their mortgage, I sure wouldn't if I had donated.

An abduction can happen at any place, at any time, to anyone, even with the parents at home. It's the worst nightmare parents can face. But in this case, they simply were not there for the children and it wasn't for an emergency situation. I can't get over this. So, of course they have to blame themselves first and spend the rest of their lives looking for her. They owe this to her.

I didn't know they were suing websites, but this "lawsuit" world is a whole world open for interpretation. Sometimes justice depends much more on the lawyers than we wish it did. I don't know how the fund is being used right now. The contract with Metodo 3 agency ended and I hope they hire some other more serious PI to find her.

At least something good came up from this sad story: people are more aware of the danger of letting their children alone, that's for sure.

15. rashomon

rashomon Member

Nana, I think it is allowed to give links to YouTube videos here on FFJ. I'd be very interested in seeing it.

How could Maddie vanish without a trace in a resort full of people? This is such a mysterious case.

What about the DNA tests the British (?) lab conducted? Have the results been made public?

16. Jayelles

The BBC produce very few documentaries so that in itself means nothing. The channels for documentaries are Channels 4 and ITV.

As I understand it, ONE mortgage payment was made from the fund (the last one prior to their return home). The couple had run out of money and the fund covered such expenses. I know some people felt badly about this, but I certainly didn't donate with conditions. I saw it as a search and hardship fund from the start. Some people have cruelly suggested that the McCanns coldly profited from the fund. That simply isn't the case. For all we know, they may have repaid that mortgage payment since Gerry is now back working.

It is ironic that the parents of Shannon matthews received so much more sympathy than the McCanns and in the early days were even compared favourably with the McCanns (e.g. "this is how innocent parents SHOULD behave") Now we know theirs was an act.

17. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you for your latest interesting posts on young Madeleine McCann, Nana. I agree with all you are saying in your posts.

Nana wrote:
    I think it would be much better if the McCanns would meet the Portuguese Police halfway, Nana. Just what are they afraid of? For leaving their children unattended that fateful night, the McCanns know they will have to suffer for the rest of their lives.

Like yourself, I hope with all my heart this little girl will still be found alive, but the possibility of the kidnappers killing her also crosses my mind. There's no way they will hold on to Maddie because of the widespread display of her photographs.

You can post the video url with your post.

18. Elle

Elle Member

I feel there had to be an insider in The Ocean Club, rashomon, who knew every move these Brits made, to have succeeded in a kidnapping. It went like clockwork.

19. Jayelles

I meant to reiterate something I have pointed out before. The BBC only reports news. The fact that they haven't been covering the case is only an indication that there is no news. The BBC has a lot of integrity in this respect. It doesn't mean they have lost interest.

20. Nana

Nana Member

Here is the link to the video I mentioned. There are thousands of them, but this one made me think, it has a different approach.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRvgK6M2_7Q

The PJ is holding the case files, they won't turn them into public record because this is an ongoing investigation. I'm not an expert in this issue, but there's something called "secrecy" in the Portuguese law. The leaks (wherever they came from) are very little compared to the cases we see outside Portugal, so I think it works, in a way.

Jay, I watch the BBC here and I like it. The other ones you mentioned I don't remember to have watched neither when I lived in London many moons ago. Are they all connected or independent?
    To me it seems that BBC restrained its broadcast of this case a lot. I thought they were making a big event to mark the one year milestone but I didn't see any of the celebrities who was on board at the beginning to speak up. This has a meaning, open for everyone's interpretation.

It was published that they made two months of their mortgage using the fund, but you must know better than I do about this. There are many people who didn't like it at all. It's not a matter of condition to donate, it's implicit that the fund would be used in the search for the little girl. This doesn't include to support the parents needs. At some point I saw an on line petition to freeze the fund in lights of this happenings. I'm not cruelly suggesting anything, far away from it, and I hope they can find peace some day. I'm just expressing my opinions about what is public record.

I can't provide a link from the top of my head right now, but I read that a few days ago there was a poll about the case and only 30% of the British people believe the parents are innocent. That's a huge change for them.

I can't comment on the Shannon case for I know nothing about it but I always have a problem with this kind of comment about how innocent people should behave. We saw this in the Ramsey and Peterson cases, and I think each person is unique. There's no book of behavior rules for this kind of situation, but there's always common sense. It's not looking at one tree that one can see the forest.

You can be right, Elle. But they should have been warier for being in a strange country. There's no excuse for letting the children alone and not only for that night. Repeated pattern easy to follow. Don't you think it's strange they point the finger at the PJ and don't accuse Mark Werner for their apparent lack of security? I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice