So how come they can remember things that happened years ago but can't.....

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Golden_Rose, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Golden_Rose

Golden_Rose Member

remember the night/morning of their daughter's murder?
    Here is what I mean:
    In this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WomIOTN9UiQ
    John seems like he is going to pounce on Larry King because Larry King ask him innocently to re-call what happened the morning of the murder.
    Larry King: You look in Jonbenet's room and what is the first thing you do...?
    John Ramsey: Larry we don't remember! This was 3 years ago, we've been through this hundered times.....
    Larry King: But you wrote a book about it....
    What I don't understand is in the book, JonBenet: The police files, through out the whole book interviews Patsy says " I don't remember.."
    But Patsy remembers her first date with John, their first apartment,when JonBenet was born, every single one of JonBenet's pageants what they did during the summer in their summer home ect.
    Patsy and John remembers thing from years and years ago, but she or John can't remember what happened the morning of December 26th.
    My mother died in October of '07 and I remember everything from the phone call I got, to the scarry car ride to the hospital, to what the doctors said, the morning of the funeral, everything. We someone dies, that is something you don't ever forget, I don't care how many times you try to blot it out.

2. Karen

Karen Member

It's called selective memory :lier:

3. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Tranq's and Tequilla probably helped make it all just a Bad Dream......

Great point Golden Rose, and we could go on forever over the "I can't remember's" compared to the non-issues that they did retain in their memories!

4. heymom

heymom Member

My mother died when I was 10 and I can still remember the walk up the aisle of the funeral home, holding my father's hand, to view her body in the casket. And that was 40 years ago!!! I remember when I returned to school and my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Ott, gave me a big hug, and how uncomfortable that made me. Totally clear like it was yesterday.

6 mos. ago my son fell off his skateboard and fractured his skull, and THAT horrible memory replays in my head every day. If we start to talk about it, I am right back there in the fear and horror.

If John and Patsy really didn't have anything to do with their daughter's murder, they wouldn't have a problem remembering. They might have actual EMOTIONS about it too, other than anger and being defensive.

5. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

They had a program on TV yesterday about how LE interrogates suspects. They do have a plan, it turns out. Who knew?

First they get the suspect to relax, "establish a rapport", chat with them, etc. During this phase, the interrogator observes the "baseline" body language, verbal habits, etc., of the suspect. That enables them to later judge if the suspect is lying when they change their behavior.

Then they get the suspect's story: What do you know? What happened? What do you think happened? This is to lock them into something incriminating, if the suspect is involved in the crime. Of course, this is the phase that the Ramseys avoided by hiring attorneys who bargained until the Ramseys had access to all the evidence, their attorneys had prepared them with their stories, got them together on the same page, and reduced the chance of the Ramseys saying anything incriminating.

Phase 3 in interrogation is when the interrogator comes back with what the suspect has tripped up on: lies told; evidence that conflicts with the suspect's story, etc. That's when they try to get more info or a confession.

One of the things the professionals said is that when suspects start saying "I don't remember," "I can't recall," etc., it's an indication they're lying. Also, when the suspect OVER EXPLAINS something, especially something not ASKED, that's an indication the suspect is covering something up.

Remember when Thomas said in his book Patsy blurted out "I didn't kill my child" when she was only giving blood, hair, fingerprint, etc., samples? This would be an example of answering a question not asked. The reason suspects do this is because lying causes extreme stress, one of the trainers said on the program. He said that's why body language changes when normal people are lying. That's why polygraphs work with some people and not with others: some sociopaths don't get nervous lying because they have no conscience, more or less.

So when the Ramseys "didn't remember", sometimes they may not have remembered, but some times, I have no doubts in MY mind, they didn't WANT to remember...not for LE. Notice how often they knew little details, when they were telling their stories about finding the note, calling 911, etc. But they can't remember what JonBenet ate her last day on earth, if she bathed, WHAT GROOMING AND HEALTH HABITS THEY HAD SPENT 6 YEARS TEACHING HER.

To me, when Patsy said she didn't remember what routine grooming and bathroom habits she'd taught JonBenet, Patsy was CLEARLY lying. That's something EVERY decent parent spends a LOT of time TEACHING A CHILD: BATHROOM protocol. IT'S A HEALTH ISSUE. When you toilet train a child, WASHING HANDS IS SOP. How can you NOT remember that you taught that to your child, with YEARS of training involved?

But there Patsy is, telling the Boulder interrogators SHE DIDN'T REMEMBER if she trained JonBenet in average bathroom issues with children.

It won't wash.

6. Karen

Karen Member

Talk about overexplaining! That 3 page ransom letter was what I would definetly call overexplaining! :bsflag:

7. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

Truer words were never spoken.

One of the main reasons why R lawyers stonewalled LE questioning their clients for so long is so that they could say "I don't remember" to nearly any relevant question they were asked.
    It's also true that you can bet the rent that they remember every little detail about that day and night. They remember it all, down to the color of the socks they wore.

8. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

Right, DeeDee. And having had a a child who fractured his skull when he was a toddler, I bet they HEAR it all in their heads. I know that, 24 years later, I can still hear the sound of my child's skull cracking as it made contact with a hard Mexican tile floor. It's a sickening sound, to this day. And his was a hairline fracture. Can't even begin to imagine what it must have sounded like when JonBenet's skull was cracked open like that.

9. heymom

heymom Member

I was at the top of the hill when my son fell off his skateboard, so I didn't hear the strike, but I will forever hear his high-pitched screaming as he regained consciousness. He kept screaming and didn't respond to me. I wonder if JonBenet really did scream, maybe repeatedly, and that is why they silenced her forever. It is common with seriously head-injured people to scream that way, like a wounded animal. THE WORST sound I have ever heard.

10. Little

Little Member

heymom it makes me so sad when you recount that horrible experience. I wish I could hug it away!

Little

11. heymom

heymom Member

I wish you could, too!!! :( There is nothing to be done, however. And Pearlsim must have had a horrific experience when her son hit the tile floor...I don't know if he screamed or not. I have talked to another mom of a son who was in a car wreck and had a head injury and she knew EXACTLY the sound I mean, and she was told it was very common in head injuries.

I do seriously wonder if JonBenet would have screamed in pain when her head was struck...and that is why she was strangled so soon after the blow. I don't know if we've ever thought about that point before. My son was not in control of that aspect of himself, although he did know his name, where he was, what he was doing before he fell. He calmed down when the EMTs came, and stopped that high-pitched keening.

If I could ever hate anyone enough to despise them, I would never wish that experience on them. Never. Not anyone. Thanks for the sweet wish...

The good that has come from it...I told him never again would he skate outside of a skate park without equipment, and he's never ridden the board again. Now he's into his electric guitar and unlike skating, he's actually pretty good at it. :)

12. AMES

AMES Member

This brought tears to my eyes...I am so glad that he is okay now.

13. Pearlsim

Oh yes, my son did do that keening wail. He was two at the time. I can't tell you how helpless I felt when he just kept screaming but with no response to any help around him.

This many years later, the images of that sweet baby hitting the tiles - and the sound of his skull cracking, along with his screams are something that can STILL make me cry if I think about too much.

I've always thought the scream reported by the neighbor might've gone with JonBenet's head being cracked open. I get sick thinking about the sequence of events that night.

Heymom, I thank God my son came out OK and the same for you and your son.

14. heymom

heymom Member

Oh, Pearlsim, I KNOW that helpless feeling...I am usually pretty calm and I don't lose my head in stressful situations, but I did lose it when my son would not respond and kept up that screaming, plus he was bleeding from his ear. I thank God some strangers came along and called for first responders, as my cell phone wouldn't work in the little low spot we were in...I had to go and lie down next to the road so I wouldn't pass out or throw up, once they got there to help.

So that scream is just the body's reaction to brain trauma, as I heard from others. I do think JonBenet screamed that night, and that the strangling may have been to silence her quickly. There was NOTHING I could say that would hush my son. Once he got some oxygen and I walked away to lie down, he did stop the screaming, but that was maybe 15 minutes after the fall had taken place.

I am sorry that you still suffer - but I knew when it happened that I would never be the same. No matter what the outcome was, that moment changed my life forever. As you can, I can replay the scene endlessly and sob with horror every single time. They say that time heals, but with things like this, I don't think it heals much. Of course, I also blame myself, and rightly so, for not enforcing proper safety rules. I was much too cavalier with my son's very life, and for that I will always be ashamed.

I have forgotten, did you say your son fell off a table or a counter to the floor?

15. Pearlsim

My son had something called Scissor-gait. When he walked one leg and foot swung in front of the other, such that he fell alot. And it didn't help that he was one of those kinds of babies who started walking early (9 mos) and then just ran everywhere.

We were at a party for our Sunday School class. Lots of little kids around and lots of us moms and dads, eating and gabbing. Tim went running over their mexican tile floor and slammed down hard onto the floor. It happened during a lull in the noise level - I think everyone was busy eating or doing something else that had quieted the room.

Everyone nearby heard the crack..and the wails. Others called for the paramedics. And like you, I held up fairly well when my son needed me, but later, I completely fell apart.

An aside to this story - because he did take so many falls, my son always seemed to have lots of bruises, scrapes, and even black eyes at these early ages. That night at the hospital, when they first brought him in and cut off his clothes, they observed bruising on him and made me leave the room!

Talk about a desperate mom! My baby was badly hurt and they were making me leave his side. Wasn't pretty! I was shaking so much I could barely remember his pediatrician's name but they soon got him on the phone to clear things up.

After that time, I carried a notarized letter from my pediatrician with me at all times - attesting to my son's physical condition and the fact that his problem was being treated by doctors (he wore a Friedman splint for years).

Of course a note didn't stop people from staring at the tow-headed boy with the constant bumps on his head!

Another aside - I live in Southern California and Mexican tile floors are popular. I like the look of them but I would NEVER have them in my house just because I don't think I could stand the constant visual reminder of my little boy's injury.

Heymom, I can attest to the fact that you will NEVER forget the sights and sounds of that terrible day with your son.

And, no one will ever be able to convince me that Patsy didn't replay the horror of JonBenet's skull cracking open.

16. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

I am sorry for both of you- a horrible experience for any mom.
    Yes, you can bet PR remembered every sound and sight that night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice