Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Michael Tracey and journalism

Bold emphasis mine.

Little

Journalism faculty responds to Campus Press controversy
    Faculty debates structure of the newspaper
    Emma Dessau
    Issue date: 3/12/08 Section:
    Faculty in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication are reacting strongly, following the controversy caused by the February publication of an opinion article.

The Campus Press has been under scrutiny for the past month as a result of the publication of the opinion articles "If It's War The Asians Want…" by Max Karson and "No Hablo Ingles" by Lauren Geary. The two articles offended many in the community and spurred widespread discussion about racism.

The faculty of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication has since had several meetings with managing editors of the Campus Press along with Dean Paul Voakes and other staff members. The faculty has participated in discussion to find out what went wrong within the Campus Press and what can be done to ensure that a problem like this does not arise again.

On March 3, Dean Paul Voakes released a statement to report what had been discussed at meetings.

"The faculty declared its intention to address the underlying structural problems with [the Campus Press]," the statement said.

The description of the Campus Press course, which is offered through the journalism school, creates a strange situation for any college newspaper.

Professor Tom Yulsman, head of the news-editorial department in the school, said he recognizes this problem.

"It's a very unusual arrangement," he said. "On the one hand, it's been a totally autonomous newspaper and on the other hand it's a class. Usually in a class the teacher offers guidance. However, since it is autonomous from faculty, [the adviser] doesn't review or edit students' work."

To address this structural problem, which has created a clash of responsibility and independence within the Campus Press, the staff of the school has created a Faculty Sounding Board. The board will offer a chance for students on the Campus Press who have questions about articles they are writing to discuss their pieces with journalism professors. The board will stand only as a consultation device for student writers.

"[The board] will not involve any form of prior restraint of students work," according to the dean's statement.

Voakes offered further clarity as to the duty of the Faculty Sounding Board.

"Some of the faculty [on the board] have had some professional experience working on opinion sections," Voakes said. "The J-School advisory board has 24 high achieving career professionals."

Faculty are working to find a solution for the structure of the class.

"The idea is to try to help students produce a good product without interfering editorially, on the ground that that would be prior restraint," said J-School Professor Michael Tracey.

Tracey emphasized his concerns with the issues of free speech that arose out of the controversy.

"I have very strong opinions about freedom of the press," Tracey said. "I think it's one of the great aspects of American society. Good journalism is crucial to any democratic culture and there are ways of getting it right and ways of getting it wrong."

Yulsman and Tracey both agree there was a period of panic when the article was first published and the controversy started.

"There was clearly too much excitement at first," Tracey said. "We need to have a calm conversation. I'm a great believer that the more difficult a situation is; the more you have to be cautious."

Yulsman agreed with Tracey.

"I think there are long and short-term considerations, and I don't think people have really been able to focus on the long term yet," he said.

The dean's statement also mentioned the possibility of a faculty task force which would further investigate the publications of both Karson and Geary's articles. Though the task force has disbanded, Voakes is still interested in having a formal report written up.

"I'm going to use the Max Karson investigation article that the Campus Press published shortly after the controversy broke as the basis, but I need to ask a few questions about various rumors and allegations that came up since that time," Voakes said. "This way, if in the future anyone wants to look up the affair, we will have a report explaining exactly what happened."

Contact Campus Press Staff Writer Emma Dessau at Emma.Dessau@colorado.edu.

http://media.www.thecampuspress.com/...-3264366.shtml
    Last edited by Cherokee; May 29, 2012, 10:19 pm at Tue May 29 22:19:12 UTC 2012.
    No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. -Heraclitus Fragments c. 500 BC

He is certainly right about one thing...the getting it wrong part:
    "I have very strong opinions about freedom of the press," Tracey said. "I think it's one of the great aspects of American society. Good journalism is crucial to any democratic culture and there are ways of getting it right and ways of getting it wrong."

It's probably too late to get justice for JonBenét. Maybe it always was. But knowing where things went wrong is the first step to not going there again. **-- Alan Prendergast-Dec 21, 2006--**

Just saw this. I concur with Moab: Tracey is the LAST person who has a CLUE about journalism standards of ANY kind.

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"
    FF: WRKJB?

~~~~~~~
    Bloomies underwear model:
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~
    My opinions, nothing more.

Well, I wonder if Tracey has a business plan???

Profs mull paper's independence
    Students would face 'competitve' market
    By Brittany Anas (Contact)
    Thursday, April 3, 2008

University of Colorado faculty members, during a meeting Wednesday with Campus Press staffers that at times became tense, questioned how the student publication could stay afloat financially if it is severed from the school's curriculum.

skip

CU professor Michael Tracey asked whether the Campus Press has a business plan.

"It's a very competitive world out there, and it's becoming more competitive every day," he said.
    read entire story here - source: http://dailycamera.com/news/2008/apr...-independence/
    No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. -Heraclitus Fragments c. 500 BC

Default Tracey's switcheroo

CU's Campus Press Fights for Independence
    A contentious faculty meeting points to independence for CU-Boulder's student newspaper — but at what cost?
    By Michael Roberts
    Published: April 10, 2008
    University of Colorado at Boulder journalism professor Michael Tracey has never previously suffered from camera shyness. Indeed, back in August 2006, when bogus confessor John Mark Karr was arrested as a suspect in the JonBenét Ramsey murder due largely to comments he made in correspondence with Tracey, the prof practically vaulted into a media horde gathered at the Boulder Justice Center.

But after spotting a flash during a journalism-department faculty meeting about the future of the Campus Press, an online student publication, Tracey went into high-dudgeon mode. "Ask permission before you take a photograph," he snapped at me, like a male diva upset that the paparazzi hadn't given him a chance to pose first.

This response set the tone for the snarky session that followed — the latest fallout from "If It's War the Asians Want...," an attempt at social satire by student provocateur Max Karson that ignited controversy in Boulder and nationwide. After the essay appeared on February 18, CU caught plenty of shrapnel from critics who demanded to know why university officials had allowed it to be disseminated, little realizing that the school's options were limited by the Press's unusual structure. For more than a quarter-century, the publication has functioned independently of CU even though it's part of the j-school's curriculum — a for-credit class.

In subsequent weeks, CU reps tried to come up with a way to prevent future PR meltdowns, with some faculty joining students in a call for unambiguous independence and others advocating stricter control. In a widely circulated e-mail, associate professor Jan Whitt, who declined to comment for this column, argued in favor of turning the Press into "a lab newspaper" — meaning, presumably, that instructors would engage in prior review, determining what would be published and when.
    Read entire article here - Source: http://www.westword.com/2008-04-10/n...r-independence

Well said, Professor Tracey. UNFORTUNATELY FOR YOU, YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG WHEN IT CAME TO JOHN MICHAEL KARR. I THOUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN SELLING YOUR OWN NEWSPAPERS IN THE STREET.
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

You got THAT right, Elle. It's shocking to imagine Tracey is actually a professor at a major U.S. University. What a loser.

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

What is the world coming to? Michael Tracey camera-shy!
    They should all drown in lakes of blood. Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night.

Oh, no, Tracy is not camera shy. He's just a media nazi, a la Ramsey. Propaganda is his specialty, remember. No "free press" for him! He wants to CONTROL what the public sees and hears, using his OWN final judgment of what is allowed and what is not. He hates the media attacking "innocent people"--unless, of course, HE'S the media attacking innocent people. He LOVES that, as his record shows.

The really appalling thing about Tracey and Mills is THEY DON'T GET IT! Cluelessness is NUMBER TWO on the list of job requirements for the RST.
    NUMBER ONE: HYPOCRITE.

~~~~~~~
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~

I have a question: when did Tracey receive the first emails from JM Karr?

RiverRat is offline FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Left is Patsy Ramsey)

Wink

Somewhere after his seventh beer.
    "Don't play dumb with me, RR! You're no good at it." The Punisher

"Although no one is anticipating a prompt resolution to this long and much-detoured case, perhaps - just perhaps - might we see one of those moments “when a chance arrow of history scores a perfect bullseye on a deserving target”? Steve Thomas 2009

"Justice hasn't had a chance so far. Anyone who doesn't have this as their prime goal, we'll have a falling out with." Fleet White - Time Magazine

"What happens is that evil comes in," Fleet says. "If you don't have truth, all you have are lies, then what comes in is evil. And evil just does its thing. In the Ramsey case, it just did its thing, and it's eaten up so many people."

Default Tippler Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat
    Somewhere after his seventh beer.
    Must be quite a boozer, Tracey. Even Karr told him not to write to him when he is drinking. :tipsy:

From Karr's April 30/2006 email to Tracey:
    "First of all, don't write to me when you are drinking. I know all about drinking and how it changes you."
    May 4/2006 email, Karr to Tracey:
    "I know you might be drinking now."
    http://www.saturdaynightsolution.com...ls.html?page=1

The letters show just what an easy prey that idiot Tracey was for someone like Karr.