"RAMSEY DECISION MAY SCAR LACY'S LEGACY" - Boulder Daily Camera, July 12, 2008

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Barbara, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/jul/12/ramsey-decision-may-scar-lacys-legacy/#comments

Ramsey decision may scar Lacy’s legacy

Reactions to apology letter bring mix of criticism, praise

By Heath Urie (Contact)
    Saturday, July 12, 2008

Depending on whom you ask, term-limited Boulder County District Attorney Mary Lacy will leave the office later this year with the reputation of either a hard-nosed prosecutor, known particularly for her aggressive stance on sex crimes, or that of someone who bungled the most high-profile criminal case in Boulder history.

Thanks in large part to her handling of the JonBenet Ramsey homicide case — and the extensive media coverage surrounding it — Lacy’s public image has changed dramatically since taking over the office from Alex Hunter in 2001.

Once widely considered a star among local prosecutors, pundits across the nation have helped mold a larger public perception of Lacy as a biased or incompetent elected official.

That image was again portrayed by many commentators last week, when Lacy issued a letter publicly exonerating and apologizing to John Ramsey and his family for the “umbrella of suspicion” they were held under for 12 years in the 1996 slaying, after newly discovered DNA evidence on JonBenet’s clothing pointed to an unknown male.

In a column published in response to the letter, Denver Post writer David Harsanyi penned that Lacy is “one of the most incompetent officials working in Colorado law enforcement.”

The Rocky Mountain News, in a staff editorial Friday, wrote that Lacy’s “dubious behavior once again serves the interest not of justice, but of Mary Lacy.”

Jeffrey Scott Shapiro, a former tabloid reporter who covered the Ramsey story and is now an attorney in Washington, D.C., wrote in a column last week for Fox News that Lacy’s “arrogance and incompetence is beyond compare.”

“For Mary Lacy, none of this really is about JonBenet — it’s about her legacy and her ego,” Shapiro wrote.

Lacy has said she will not comment further about the case and, on Friday, declined to comment for this story.

Reached by phone Friday, Shapiro said he thinks Lacy has ruined her public and professional reputation through her collective actions in the Ramsey case, including the controversial 2006 decision to arrest and briefly hold John Mark Karr in connection with the unsolved slaying.

“The consensus, overwhelmingly, is that (the public and other attorneys) think she is incompetent,” Shapiro said. “Quite frankly, I think they are stunned and confused about the entire way she has handled the Ramsey case.”

But some people who have known Lacy personally, or argued cases against her office, said the high-profile DA isn’t given enough credit.

“I would hope that the public — outside of the Ramsey barrage — has enough of an understanding of who she was as a line prosecutor and who she’s been as a DA to realize what she’s doing is out of pure motives,” said Bob Grant, a former Adams County DA. “She has a great heart for crime victims, and I think that’s where this (letter) came from.”

While Grant said he probably wouldn’t have written the same letter, he doesn’t think Lacy’s overall reputation as a prosecutor should be forever marred by it.

“I don’t agree with the apology letter, but I don’t think she’s nuts for doing it,” he said. “I don’t think that single case should blemish her prosecution legacy.”

Boulder defense attorney Jim Hickman agreed and went a step further, calling Lacy’s decision to write the letter “a class act.”

“I really admire what she did,” Hickman said. “I don’t think the press has been particularly fair with her.”

Hickman said that when Lacy’s term is up, she’ll likely have “a lot of avenues open to her,” including, possibly, being appointed a district court judge.

“She’s the best — no doubt about it,” Hickman said. “I think she runs a very clean and efficient office.”

Larry Pozner, a Denver attorney who has argued cases against Lacy and who is a past president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, was mixed in his reaction.

“The Boulder DA’s Office under Alex Hunter was an extraordinarily well-run office, headed by some pretty hard-nose prosecutors,” Pozner said. “I can’t say that we’ve seen progress. The Boulder DA’s Office ought to be the beacon of enlightenment. I don’t think that’s its legacy right now.”

Pozner said he lays responsibility for the Ramsey case more at the feet of the Boulder Police Department than the DA’s Office, but people in general might not see it that way when it comes time for Lacy to depart the office.

“Mary Lacy has the legacy she built for herself,” he said. “It doesn’t matter whether we say good or ill of her. The fact is, the public will judge her.”

(There are comments added to the article at the link provided. I've added mine also.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  2. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

The Rocky Mountain News, in a staff editorial Friday, wrote that Lacy’s “dubious behavior once again serves the interest not of justice, but of Mary Lacy.”

Jeffrey Scott Shapiro, a former tabloid reporter who covered the Ramsey story and is now an attorney in Washington, D.C., wrote in a column last week for Fox News that Lacy’s “arrogance and incompetence is beyond compare.”

“For Mary Lacy, none of this really is about JonBenet — it’s about her legacy and her ego,” Shapiro wrote.

I agree with Shapiro! Lacy should hang her head in shame...except Lacy is so incompetant she doesn't know what shame is.

Boo on egomaniac Lacy!

3. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Thanks, Barbara. I'll get to this tonight, I hope, have family over today and my computer time's up! [Bad grandma! GET OFF THE COMPUTER!!]

4. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

She'd have to get it out of John Ramsey's backside first.

5. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Bwwaaahaaaahaa!!! :floor: :floor: :floor:

Thanks, Jay, I needed that.

6. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

"hard nosed prosecutor?!!!!!!!"

7. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

I'm still stuck on whatinthehell Lacy felt like she had to apologize for since she has had her nose up the Ramseys A$$ since Day One and had never had one action to apologize for to them........the rest of the world is a different story though.

8. AMES

AMES Member

LOL Ain't THAT the truth!

9. AMES

AMES Member

I think that must have been a typo.....it should have read...."brown nosed prosecutor", which she got from kissing John Ramsey's a$$.

10. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

No prosecutor should ever apologize for considering anyone a suspect when the killer has not been identified and caught.

11. heymom

heymom Member

:floor:

12. koldkase

And it's all the usual suspects: a DEFENSE ATTORNEY heaps praise on Lacy...heh; Bob Grant, Hunter's bro who defended both DA's as members in the Hot Tub Society.

But when the Poz can't bring himself to praise Lacy for exonerating the Ramseys, it gives one pause.... She must really have made him mad. Maybe she made one of his clients spend the night in jail.

But LACY AS JUDGE? Now that gave me shivers! :eek:

13. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

hahahahaaa...good one Jayelles!

14. Tez

Tez Member

Please!!! She wanted to set a child molester free with no record of a sex crime so he'd be free to rape other young girls!

15. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

If someone had told me, tens years ago when I first got interested in this case, that half the chit that has happened on this case would occur, I would have laughed in their face.

Karr. The "mysterious" Christmas teddy bear. Packing peanuts. Yada yada yada. It is like a sick joke.

I really didn't think Lacy could be more of an idiot than she was throughout the Karr fiasco but that just shows how much I know. That is a stupid, STUPID woman.

16. koldkase

If we put ANY of this chit in a novel, they'd laugh us out of the building.

17. Tez

Tez Member

Ain't that the truth! They would think we had very "vivid" imaginations! They would wonder what kind of drugs we were all taking!

I swear that women gets more stupid by the second. How the heck can she live with herself???

Thank gawd she won't be prosecuting Alex Midyette!!!!

18. Niner

Niner Active Member

sorry all - I'm a little late getting to this thread - but wanted to make a few comments on this article!!

Well - that's good to hear!! I'll have to go over there and post a link to your new site, Tricia - shameonmarylacy - or whatever you called it!!

EXACTLY!! :clap::clap:

YIKES, is right! :eek: :eek: I thought the same thing, KK!!

Exactly what I was going to say!

Hey Tez!! :welcome: BACK!! good to see ya posting here again!!

19. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

I think it should be called an "analacyectomy"...

(I can recommend a good cream in the meantime!)

:floor:

20. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

:rolling: Ah, Jay, you're on a roll today.

Unfortunately, Mary Lacy isn't the only person with this problem. There are many Ramsey brown-nosers and butt-kissers - a lot of them are in the media.

How about a "Ramseyrectomy"?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice