"A RECKLESS EXHONERATION" by Paul Campos - Rocky Mountain News, July 16, 2008

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Barbara, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

Perhaps with baby steps like these, the public will get the truth about this case. Despite the back slapping of the RST, sometimes these antics can come back and bite them in the preverbial :(:(:(! Here's hoping that little by little, the audacity of what Lacy has done and continues to do will be eye opening for so many. We can hope.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/16/campos-a-reckless-exoneration/

A RECKLESS EXHONERATION

By Paul Campos, Rocky Mountain News
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I don't know if any member of the Ramsey family was involved in the killing of JonBenet Ramsey, which puts me in exactly the same position as almost everyone else in the world - a category which most emphatically includes Boulder District Attorney Mary Lacy.

Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy. Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor. That at least is one explanation for the letter Lacy sent John Ramsey last week, absolving the Ramsey family of any involvement in the killing of his daughter, and apologizing for contributing "to the public perception that (anyone in the family) might have been involved."

The letter in effect declared the Ramseys innocent beyond a reasonable doubt. Under the circumstances, this is, to put it mildly, a bizarre conclusion.

Those circumstances include a great deal of evidence suggesting some sort of familial involvement in the crime. To believe otherwise requires accepting some version of the following theory:

Sometime between 10 p.m. Christmas night 1996 and the early hours of the next morning, an intruder slipped into the Ramseys' home, and, while the rest of the family slept, took JonBenet from her bedroom, sexually assaulted, bludgeoned and strangled her, hid the body in a wine cellar in the basement, and then took the time to write both a draft and a final version of a three-page letter, demanding $118,000, which happened to be the exact sum of the bonus John Ramsey had received from his company earlier that year.

The killer then went back upstairs and placed the letter on a staircase, before slipping out into the night.

Apparently the only evidence supporting this extraordinary theory is some unidentified male DNA on the dead child's clothes, which doesn't match any of the family members.

Yet for reasons known only to herself (she has refused all requests for interviews) Lacy has concluded that, in her words, there "is no innocent explanation" for the presence of this DNA on the child's clothing, and that therefore the DNA belongs to the child's murderer.

It's difficult to describe the astounding leaps of logic required to come to that conclusion. On the other hand, simple deduction leads to a genuinely unavoidable conclusion: If the killer wrote the letter, the killer is someone who knew the precise amount of John Ramsey's bonus.

In other words, of the approximately 5,700,000,000 human beings alive on Earth on Christmas night 1996, Mary Lacy has constructed a theory that limits the possible suspects in JonBenet Ramsey's killing to those who knew the precise amount of John Ramsey's bonus, and that furthermore assumes the killer's DNA has already been identified.

Given those assumptions it's difficult to understand why an arrest hasn't been made. (None of this even touches on the fact that even if one assumes the killer wasn't a family member, nothing about the available evidence excludes the possibility of familial involvement in the crime.)

Lacy should be required to answer a straightforward question. Why did she write this letter, given that it isn't part of her job description to be handing out public exonerations and apologies in open murder cases to people who any disinterested observer would conclude remain under reasonable suspicion?

Lacy leaves office in less than six months. Her reckless exoneration of the Ramseys has tied the hands of her successor, and made it even more unlikely that anyone will ever be brought to justice in this case.

To the many questions that have plagued the Ramsey case we can now add another: Is Mary Lacy merely incompetent, or is something more disturbing going on?

Paul Campos is a professor of law at the University of Colorado. He can be reached at paul.campos@colorado.edu.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  2. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Is Mary Lacy merely incompetent, or is something more disturbing going on?

Yes ~ to both questions.

3. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Thanks, Barbara, and a big Hurrah! for Paul Campos.

While I agree with Professor Campos that Lacy has tied the hands of her successors in office, that tie is about as secure as the tie on JB's wrists when she was "discovered" by one of the persons who may have put her there in the first place.

Lacy's successor is not bound by the stupidity of Mary Lacy in writing that letter to Ramsey, because her successor could announce that Ramsey is, in fact, still under the umbrella. What the conniving beach Lacy has done, though, is give every defense lawyer who might be called to defend Ramsey in the future a loaded gun pointed right at the heart of the prosecution's case. She knew exactly what she was doing when she sent that letter to Ramsey.

If a prosecutor was ever begging to be brought up on prosecutorial misconduct and obstruction of justice charges, it's Mary Lacy. She gives all the indications and appearances of being one of the most incompetent and/or corrupt public officials I've witnessed. Between the Bush administration's arrogance and underhandedness and Mary Lacy's arrogance and underhandedness, is it any wonder why people have no faith in our government or legal system?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  4. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

OUCH!

ANother thought springs to mind - will Mary Lacy have created some sort of precedent with regards to writing letters of apology to crime suspects if it turns out they "didnae dae it efter a'"

5. Elle

Elle Member

Unbelievable, Barbara, what DA Mary Lacy has done. Surely with so many people in the Media and on the boards disagreeing with her latest apology to John Ramsey, someone high up in the Legal world can maybe do something(?).

Three cheers for the Professor! Thank you Barbara!

6. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Mr. Campos, A LAW PROFESSOR AT THE U OF CO., said:

Clear? CRYSTAL.

7. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!
    BULLSEYE!!!​

It's nice to see someone in the Boulder legal community admit exactly what we've known all along, that the Ramseys were allowed to walk because of MONEY!

No kidding. It is a very "bizarre conclusion," and it comes from the Ramsey's biggest fan, Boulder DA Mary Lacy - a veritible human cornocopia of bizarre, inane, ridiculous and assinine words and actions.

How convenient. Lacy refuses all interviews and refuses to release the alleged DNA results on which she has based her "exhoneration." I mean, PLEASE, the Queen has spoken from the throne, and she has no NEED to justify her actions to the commoners. Lacy has decreed it, and thus it is law. How typical of Lacy and the rest of the Ramsey cohort. Do not even dare to question ME. Do not ask me to provide actual EVIDENCE. Do not think you can do anything about this TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE.

There is also a comment section provided after the article. Of course, the usual Ramsey defenders are there ranting on about their innocence and how dare Mr. Campos question Lacy's exhoneration, blah, blah, blah. Please feel free to add your OWN comments or write to Mr. Campos. I believe we need to support those who are on the front lines in Boulder and in the media. They are under a lot of pressure to drink the Ramsey kool-aid and shut up. We need to let them know they aren't the only ones who are outraged by this latest injustice.

8. Shadow

Shadow FFJ Senior Content Moderator

Lacy should be required to answer a straightforward question. Why did she write this letter, given that it isn't part of her job description to be handing out public exonerations and apologies in open murder cases to people who any disinterested observer would conclude remain under reasonable suspicion?

I will be closely watching where her career goes after she retires. I cannot believe a sane DA would do something like this without a reward making it worth the grief she had to know was coming. Or maybe she could be a religious "groupie" like Smit who believes a member of a good Christian family would NEVER kill someone.

I'm like the writer of this article - I have always maintained that I do not know who killed JBR. I don't even have a theory. But I do know that this NEW(?) "evidence"(?) is not enough to eliminate ANYONE as a suspect. Whatever it might be, Lacy had an agenda...

9. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Right on JC!!

I agree that this is a world record leap of logic by Lacy--it is astonishing to me that anyone could be this stupid. On the other hand, she arrested Karr for murder, based on absolutely nothing.

That is a stupid woman. A STUPID WOMAN!!!!!!

10. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

I wonder if we peered behind Lacy's hair curtains, we'd find a fused ganglia instead of a brain? She may be better suited to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, rather being a DA.

11. Cherokee

A "fused ganglia"! :floor:

That explains everything!

Actually, I think "hunter-gatherer" is a little too advanced for Lacy. She is better suited to the life of a tapeworm or sea slug. No, even that might be too difficult. How about the type of organism that only has an opening for food and the expelling of waste, NO BRAIN ACTIVITY REQUIRED?!

Yeah, that's the ticket. Describes Lacy to a tee.

12. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Slugslime plays havoc with your hair (so they tell me)...

Attached Files:

13. Cherokee

:floor: :floor: :floor:

Great pic of Lacy. Was it take before, or after, she delivered her love letter to John Ramsey? Must have been after. Her slug antennae have popped up from under her hair curtains ... probably caused by too much excitement at seeing Lizard Lips in person. You know, the dreaded antennaerection.

14. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

People often call this a miscarriage of justice. It wasn't a miscarriage; it was an ABORTION!:steamed:

15. Elle

Elle Member

Well said, Punisher! :)

16. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Maybe we should send a link to this thread to the author so that he knows how NOT alone he is?!

17. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Oh My GAWD....

Jayelles!

That is just too funny and oh sooo familiar! You certainly nailed our Lazy! :)

18. heymom

heymom Member

I'd call her a paramecium but I'd be insulting one-celled animals.

19. Cherokee

You're right. I apologize to all one-celled animals out there. You know who you are.

Let's see, this just came in from the science desk:

PARAMARYLACIUM

Kingdom: Boulder

Phylum: Brainless

Class: None

Order: Linwood

Family: Ramsey

Genus: Sycophant

Species: Parasite​

20. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

I agree! Well said Punisher.

Campos is the voice of reason and logic in the festering sea of Lacy's bullchit.

Perhaps Lacy is looking to be the next Mrs. John Ramsey?

The people of Boulder and the world DESERVE an explanation for Lacy's incredible decision. Lacy may be apologizing, but I'll bet a lot of people in Boulder won't apologize....like the 'bus' victims. When will Lacy clear them?

From Campos article: To the many questions that have plagued the Ramsey case we can now add another: Is Mary Lacy merely incompetent, or is something more disturbing going on?

I'd say Lacy is disturbingly incompetent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice