Ramsey Case Returned to BPD!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Feb 2, 2009.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090202/ap_on_re_us/jonbenet_ramsey_1

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/feb/02/boulder-police-take-back-jonbenet-ramsey-case/

BOULDER, Colo. — Boulder police are taking over the investigation into JonBenet Ramsey's 1996 slaying, six years after handing the case over to the Boulder County District Attorney's Office.

Police Chief Mark Beckner said Monday that he and newly elected District Attorney Stan Garnett agree the police department should take back the lead on investigating Boulder's most infamous unsolved homicide.

The department agreed to give the case up in December 2002 partly because of public criticism of how police first handled the case, Beckner said.

“If people felt it was better off with the District’ Attorney’s Office,†Beckner said. “We were OK with that because it was in the best interest of the case.â€

But now, Beckner said he and Garnett agree that “a traditional law enforcement/prosecution relationship is appropriate in this and other cold cases.†His agency is eager to take over the investigation with new technology and expertise available, Beckner said.

“Some cases never get solved, but some do,†he said. “And you can’t give up.â€

The department, he said, plans to approach the homicide as a cold case, and he’s invited a team of veteran investigators from several state and federal agencies to participate in an “advisory task force.â€

The group will meet for a two-day “pow-wow†some time in the next few weeks to review all evidence in the case and identify additional testing that might be done and evidence that might be looked at.

The goal of the task force is to “explore all possible theories about what happened the night JonBenet was killed.†Beckner said he wants to go into the pow-wow “clean†and with no preconceived notions.

€œWe are open to all possibilities,†he said.

2. RiverRat

more......

"Beckner said his department notified John Ramsey’s attorney Monday about the Boulder police take-over.

Beckner and Garnett are planning to answer questions at 3:30 p.m. in the city’s Public Safety Building, 1805 33rd St.

The department doesn’t plan to give regular updates about the work of the task force unless there’s a significant development, Beckner said."

3. Karen

Karen Member

Thanks RR for the update. Interesting article on this. Why do i think that when they finally have proof it was Patsy it won't be publicly announced because of threat of lawsuit from JR and lawyer? I'm so glad there are many different agencies looking at this. Hmmm, I wonder if that "other" forum will be opening back up again now?

4. RiverRat

A girl can dream, right?! Not about Sue's Swamp reopening, but that Patsy and her freaky little q/8's handwriting match was finally seen by the right eyes!

5. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you for posting this information RR. I'm hoping the Boulder Police will go over the police files and see where their detectives failed to continue questioning the Ramseys. John Ramsey is still alive and should be grilled all over again. I hope they will have someone who is especially sharp and can spot all the flaws.

6. Karen

Karen Member

Oh absolutely RR and this girl shares your dream! BUT we know there can be no prosecution because the responsible party is dead so unless they are going to go ahead and charge JR with something it will simply go quietly into the solved file. I think we might have to stay on them until we know for sure whether or not they have reached any conclusions in this case. They need to make their finding PUBLIC since the PUBLIC is who is paying their wages!!

7. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Go to Fox news right now

Live press conference

8. BobC

Beckner Live on Fox News

Beckner is live from Fox News right now

9. BobC

I bet John Ramsey is getting nervous that some uhhhhhh additional charges might be coming to the fore.

10. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Beckner says they'll spend TWO DAYS with this "task force".

TWO DAYS?!

They won't even be able to get through THE EVIDENCE AGAINST THE RAMSEYS in two WEEKS!

Yes, I'm cynical. I'll believe it when I see it.

11. koldkase

Too bad HUNTER isn't going to be getting nervous...OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE.

12. Karen

Karen Member

Darn it! I missed it. Can somebody give me the gist of what was said?

13. RiverRat

I have had my channel on FOX - how did I miss this?! Recap, Bob?!

14. RiverRat

Here's a story from FOX's website:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,486844,00.html

"L. Lin Wood, an attorney for JonBenet's father, John Ramsey, said the decision was a "positive sign in terms of my hope that the Boulder Police Department will take not only a new review in terms of a cold case review, but that it will go in this time with an objective review."

Wood and Ramsey have been critical of previous police efforts, saying they unfairly focused on the family and ignored other evidence."

"Garnett's predecessor, Mary Lacy, last year cleared Jonbenet's family in the slaying, citing DNA evidence. Beckner informed John Ramsey of the change in the investigation in a letter, but gave no hint that police would back away from that finding.

"Nor could any objective investigation back away," Wood said. "(The DNA evidence) is compelling if not conclusive."

Lacy did not run for re-election because of term limits. No phone listing could be found for her."

15. koldkase

It wasn't on my cable Fox News, either, Rat. I went to the Fox News website and it was streaming live. It's over now. Maybe they'll put it up at some point for reviewing. I hope so, as I missed most of it. They had a little bit on Headline News, so they may play that again.

16. Little

Little Member

DA Garnett supports reactivation of Ramsey investigation by Boulder Police

Boulder County District Attorney Stan Garnett announced his support today for Chief Mark Beckner's decision to reactivate the Boulder Police Department's investigation of the JonBenet Ramsey case. “I have complete confidence in the integrity and competence of the Boulder Police Department. I look forward to working with them and all the other police agencies in Boulder County during my tenure as District Attorney,†said Mr. Garnett.

Mr. Garnett stated that every jurisdiction has unsolved homicides and solving them is always a priority. The 20th Judicial District has several such cases in addition to the Ramsey case, including the Rudy Gaytan case where Mr. Garnett recently approved an arrest warrant after an active police investigation first initiated in 1993.

“District attorneys prosecute and police investigate,†Mr. Garnett said. “I have carefully reviewed the state of the evidence in the Ramsey case, meeting with many people both inside and outside of my office. Based on the state of this evidence, no charges can be filed against anyone in this case at this time. Possible leads come in on a regular basis and the Boulder Police should investigate these leads. I, in consultation with my staff, will make any filing decision based on the evidence.â€

Mr. Garnett said that upwards of 2000 felonies and many more misdemeanors are filed every year in the 20th Judicial District, including homicides, assaults, sexual assaults, and other major felonies. He stated that the 27 lawyers and 6 investigators in the Boulder County DA’s Office will focus on bringing these cases to a just conclusion, leaving cold case homicides to be investigated by the appropriate police agency. “As District Attorney, it is my job to make managerial choices that best utilize the resources of the Office, considering expertise, staff time and budget, to achieve Justice for the victims of crime, their families and the People of Colorado.â€

Mr. Garnett said, “It is not productive for me to revisit, or comment on, any past decisions made by the two previous elected District Attorneys and other law enforcement officials on the JonBenet Ramsey case, including Mary Lacy's letter of July 9, 2008, which speaks for itself. I will not comment further on the evidence or its implications unless and until charges are filed, and then will do so in the only appropriate forum for such comments: a court of law.â€

Note to Media: District Attorney Stan Garnett will be available at the Boulder Police Department’s question and answer session at 3:30 p.m. TODAY at the Public Safety Building, 1805 33rd St. in Boulder, but will not otherwise comment on this matter.

-END-

____________________SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION____________________
    You may unsubscribe from BOULDERDA at any time by visiting the Boulder County Web site at www.bouldercounty.org/lists or by sending an e-mail to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.BOULDERCOUNTY.ORG with "SIGNOFF BOULDERDA" in the body of the message.

This message was sent from an unattended mailbox. For help unsubscribing please e-mail listmaster@bouldercounty.org

Help with lists: http://www.bouldercounty.org/lists/help.htm

Visit the Boulder County Web site: http://www.bouldercounty.org/

17. RiverRat

Thanks, KK - I guess that just proves how special Bob is since it was for his viewing entertainment all alone!

18. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

BPD can't do a thing without Wood threatening to sue them and then take John on the talk circuit show for piles of cash.

IMO Patsy did it and is dead....I think nothing will come of this. The BPD will be harassed by John's team of lawyers....and John will of course be stopped by Wood from answering any questions that are...say 'touchy'.

I really hope I'm wrong in this.

19. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

20. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Task force to consider 'all possibilities' in '96 slaying of child beauty queen

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28981916/

updated 47 minutes ago

BOULDER, Colo. - The slaying of JonBenet Ramsey will be investigated as a cold case with all evidence and actions taken 12 years ago reviewed anew, the city's police chief said Monday as the department resumed a probe for which it had long been criticized.

[snip]

"We'd love to solve this case for JonBenet so she can rest in peace," Beckner said at a news conference announcing the shift.

Police will handle the investigation as a cold case, "reviewing everything that's been done, the evidence that's been collected, trying to determine where do we go from here," he said.

[snip]

'Open to all possibilities'

Beckner said he and newly elected District Attorney Stan Garnett agreed that police should lead the investigation again. Beckner said he has invited a team of veteran investigators from state and federal agencies to join an advisory task force.

"We're bringing in people on this task force that are going to have a fresh perspective. (They're going to) look at this case, tell us what they think, challenge us, give us ideas."

The group will meet in the next few weeks to review the evidence and identify additional testing that might be done.

Beckner told the Camera newspaper of Boulder the task force will "explore all possible theories about what happened the night JonBenet was killed" and added, "We are open to all possibilities."

[snip]

--------------------------------------------------------

Does "all possible theories" include the Ramseys being involved? Is that reading too much between the lines? Dare we hope?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice