People magazine article on new Boulder DA - 3/8/09

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by BobC, Mar 9, 2009.

1. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

2. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

3. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Gosh, does this mean that AGAIN the new DA has said that THE RAMSEYS AREN'T CLEARED?

Lacy must be throwing a fit SOMEWHERE. :steamed:

Oh, to be a fly on the wall of that meeting of the new task force:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FBI: Hand me one of those donuts, would you?

CBI: Sure, cream filled or glazed?

CIA: Hey, save me the eclair!

Beckner: I've got dibs on the granola bar!

FBI: So why are we here again?

Beckner: To look at the JonBenet case with fresh eyes.

CBI: So you want more testing of the cord and duct tape, maybe make a model of a child similar in size to JonBenet to look again at those huge Bloomies?

Border Patrol: Yeah, how about getting a subpoena for the Ramsey phone records, maybe those still in the evidence room from the prosecution of that couple who stole those records?

CIA: We should bring in John and Burke Ramsey for more questioning. Get the ransom note analysis nailed down.

Beckner: Oh, no, we don't have the money for any of that, much less a trial. When I say "fresh eyes", I mean people who will agree that we need to LOOK like we're working the case again. All we're paying for is the donuts and coffee, though.

CBI: Okay then! I'm outta' here!

FBI: Me, too. You do the spin, Mark.

Beckner: Right. Thanks for showing up to cover my azz. I owe you one!

Border Patrol: Don't call us, we'll call you.

4. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Thanks for posting, Bob. I love how Lacy's apology to the Ramseys is under the heading of "Past Mistakes" and how the People writer, Vickie Bane, says Lacy made the apology because LACY didn't think they were guilty - not because the Ramseys were finally and totally cleared of the crime. Vicky is obviously smarter than a lot of the media writers out there and sees through Lacy's gambit for what it was.

"Then, six months before leaving office, Lacy sent a letter of apology to John Ramsey (Patsy had died in 2006 after a long battle with ovarian cancer), saying that said she no longer considered any Ramsey family members to be suspects."

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  5. Cherokee

And how about this?

"On Feb. 2, Boulder police Chief Mark Beckner held a press conference to announce the formation of a cold case task force made up of veteran law enforcement members from a variety of agencies including the FBI to review evidence and explore theories. Beckner said at the time that he believed the murder could be solved because of the advances in both DNA and linguistics technology."

Finally, someone is paying attention to the ransom note.

The so-called DNA "evidence" can be secondary transfer, contaminated in a lab, and have stutter as well as copy problems, but the RANSOM NOTE was written by someone involved in JonBenet's death. There is no getting around that fact. The Ramseys have tried to ignore it, every Ramsey apologist has tried to ignore it, Mary Lacy ignored it, but it won't go away. The ransom note is key, and Beckner knows it.

6. koldkase

Thanks for reminding me, Chero. We all know that for all the brouhaha over those few cells of undated DNA, the ransom note is clearly reasonable doubt for any defendant other than Patsy Ramsey.

7. Greenleaf

Hahahaha. Koldkase, that is too funny! Are you trying to steal my thunder? LOL.

Hello, Cherokee. KK got me off track. I'm going back to read your posts, which, by the way, are always wonderful to read and re-read.

gl

8. Greenleaf

Cherokee

You wrote: 'Beckner said at the time that he believed the murder could be solved because of the advances in both DNA and linguistics technology."

Finally, someone is paying attention to the ransom note."

Cherokee, had LE called you in, from the get-go, they would have learned just about all they would need to know about that silly "ransom" note. Your analysis of the note deserves 5 stars.***** It is probably the best sleuthing on the forum, thus far.

gl

9. Elle

Elle Member

10. Cherokee

That is very nice of you to say, Greenleaf, but I don't think anything I've done is the "best sleuthing on the forum" by a long shot. There are so many great minds on FFJ, and an incredible amount of excellent work and analysis has been done on many subjects by the posters here. I am proud to be a among such an incredible group of people who advocate for victims and work for justice in various ways, both online and in their communities.

11. BobC

Right Cherokee--the whole tone of this short article is saying one thing: The Ramseys are off the cleared list.

If it results in even a few sleepless nights for John Ramsey, it's worth it.

12. BobC

13. koldkase

These pageant people are insane. I find the overweight, rather homely mothers prancing around doing their child's talent routine grotesque in the extreme. Why do they invariably look like "white trash"?

That's the thing I always think about Patsy: with her money, how could they NOT beat these losers? And I'm not talking about the children, but the parents. Read the following, and maybe this will explain what I mean:

I see nothing in the genetics of the PARENTS to lead me to believe that these children should be thinking of modeling as adults. Theatre--I hope they don't think they'll be able to even FEED themselves with the money they might make from that. In 1990, about 5% of theatre union card holding actors even had a job making as much as $8,000/yr! I doubt the stats are better now, maybe worse with this economy.

These parents should be spending that money on education or a college fund. Exactly how do they know that a 4 YEAR OLD will want to be a model or actor when she grows up?

14. Elle

Elle Member

This really makes me ill looking at this, KK and Bob. Surely something can be done to ban these pageants (?). Where are all the child protection groups?

15. BobC

well I don't think they should be outlawed--government is already way too much in peoples' lives--but I think the whole idea that any little kid is, or should be, perfect is just crazy. No one is perfect and driving your kid like a mule to attain an impossible goal seems kind of cruel to me. On the other hand I have friends who did these competitions as children and it didn't seem to cause them any mental problems. I don't know. It's a big world out there.

16. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

I agree KK. I cannot imagine me steering either of my daughters into pageantry. I'd prefer they learned skils which will be useful to them later on - even if it's just basic sewing or cooking or dancing or an appreciation of books.

17. Elle

Elle Member

Bob, I want you to get a Paddy wagon and go round up these ugly mothers with a whip right now! Get going! Boot them off a cliff one by one![​IMG]

18. rashomon

rashomon Member

Opening the "umbrella of suspicion" (what a wishy-washy euphemisn to avoid the no-nonsense word "suspect"!) on the Ramseys was NOT "a mistake", but warranted by the evidence implicating them.
    Good satire, KK: :D

As opposed to the nitwit Mary Lacy, Beckner is neither clueless about what is in the cae files, nor does he believe the Ramseys are innocent.

Steve Thomas wrote in his book that Beckner thinks Patsy did it, and that he told ST that the police, when
    presenting their case, had gone far beyond probable cause, and that they
    should charge both Ramseys "with felony murder and aiding and abetting" (ST's book, hb, p. 299).

But sadly what Beckner told Thomas behind the scenes was not followed
    by action and any public outspokenness on his part, even less so after
    he was made police chief.

It looks like the problem with Beckner lies in more in his character. Going by
    the books on the case, he is not a courageous person. The books portray
    him as non-confrontational, gun-shy, opportunistic and fearing the
    Ramsey lawyers. For example, way back, shortly before he was made police
    chief, Beckner told the stunned detectives at a meeting (ST's book,
    hb, p. 292).

"Let me tell you, we won't be putting handcuffs on anybody, ", Beckner
    reiterated. Another reason for not forcing the issue, he said, was that he
    did not want to get sued over "this thing".
    He added that although there might be a grand jury, and probable cause
    existed for an indictment, the case might not get prosecuted."
    (end
    quote)

For Beckner had just come back from a meeting with DA Hunter's
    "deal-making Svengali", as S.Thomas aptly called him. Hoftstrom,
    who had told Beckner that the grand jury might not get hear the entire
    case, that it would not be used to obtain an indictement, and if a
    runaway GJ somehow returned an indictment on its own, the DA would not
    be obligated to prosecute.
    ST said Beckner came back from the meeting like a dog with its tail
    between the legs. He had not protested, but meekly accepted Hofstrom's
    grand jury (farce) conditions, which were to turn the GJ
    into the powerless instrument Hunter had wanted it to be.

If Beckner still shies away from going after the Ramseys because he is
    afraid of getting sued - imo hell will freeze over before this police
    chief opens ANY can of worms in that reinvestigation :(

There was a picture in the 'Globe' which showed Beckner at a press
    conference sitting next to the new DA Stan Garnett, and Beckner's facial
    expression and body language did not convey that he was too happy to
    have the case back in the BPD's lap. For now he will have to show his
    colors. If he lacks backbone again, the Ramseys and Lin Wood will profit
    from it once more.
    I get the uneasy feeling that Beckner is actually hoping for more
    ballyhoo re the "unknown DNA", for this will allow him not having to
    focus on the Ramseys.

Beckner said "that unknown DNA will be a big part of the investigation"
    (end quote)

In for a penny, in for a pound, Mr. Beckner! Surely you will agree to have the ligature and the paintbrush handle tested for "unknown DNA" too, since the perpetrator logically MUST have touched these items.
    If Mary Lacy "forgot" to have them tested, then it is your job to see they are tested at once. The case has been handed back to the BPD, and now YOU are responsible now for getting it into gear again, Mr. Beckner! What would stop you from going ahead?

Hopefully next time Beckner gives a press conference, he will be asked probing questions on this.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  19. koldkase

Good post and assessment, rashomon.

I won't hold my breath waiting on Beckner, Garnett, or Boulder LE ever to strike another lick on this case. If they do, we'll never hear about it anyway.

I do thank Beckner for at least UNCLEARING the Ramseys. We all knew that was Lacy BS spin, anyway.

But my guess is that's all we're going to get out of this case unless something comes out of left field. It may happen, though. Lord knows this case is as wierdly unending as any I've ever seen.

20. Elle

Elle Member

Excellent post, rashomon.[​IMG] I hope Mark Beckner can bring the truth out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice