Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Maybe I just don't understand how things work in the UK, but I can not imagine President Obama getting involved in a case like this, especially to the extent that Gordon Brown has used his bully pulpit to appoint, or at least influence the appointment, of a prominent media person to personally represent the McCanns.

From The Times
    September 18, 2007

Kate and Gerry McCann go straight to Gordon Brown in search for more powerful backers
    David Brown, Steve Bird in Praia da Luz and Patrick Foster
    Gordon Brown has been updated on the investigation into Kate and Gerry McCann by the couple’s advisers, who told him that Portuguese detectives had no proof that they killed their daughter.

The Prime Minister, who has been an influential supporter of the couple, has previously persuaded the Portuguese authorities to release details of their investigation into Madeleine’s disappearance from an Algarve holiday apartment 138 days ago.

The move comes amid reports that a Portuguese judge has ruled that the couple should not be forced to return to the Algarve to face further questioning but should instead be interviewed by police in Britain.

Mr McCann spoke to Mr Brown several times and David Miliband, the Foreign Secretary, twice before he and his wife were declared official suspects by Portuguese detectives 11 days ago. All ministerial contact was severed immediately because of the sensitive nature of their legal status.

read entire story here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2477770.ece
    Bolding mine:
    Page last updated at 11:43 GMT, Monday, 24 September 2007 12:43 UK
    Profile: Clarence Mitchell
    Clarence Mitchell is back in front of the camera again - this time as the spokesman for Kate and Gerry McCann, the parents of missing four-year-old Madeleine. Former colleague Laurie Margolis recalls his time as a BBC journalist.

skip

Madeleine maelstrom

Clarence left the BBC quite suddenly, making a move into the Labour government as director of its Media Monitoring Unit. His salary was widely reported to be £70,000 a year.

As the Madeleine McCann story exploded this summer, it became clear that a high level of control and organisation would be needed to cope with the media maelstrom.

Clarence was plucked from his job, and sent out to handle the media, rather than be part of the media, on a massive crime story. Now he's left his government job and gone in with the McCanns full-time.
    read entire story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7010286.stm
    No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. -Heraclitus Fragments c. 500 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Jayelles View Post
    Even when that one side is based on malicious and false information?

If anyone has facts which prove the McCanns did this, let's hear them. I'm all ears but I don't want to hear lies or tabloid fantasy. There's no justice there!

This is just your thinking which you are entitled to, of course! Doesn't mean you are right(?).
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Little View Post
    Maybe I just don't understand how things work in the UK, but I can not imagine President Obama getting involved in a case like this, especially to the extent that Gordon Brown has used his bully pulpit to appoint, or at least influence the appointment, of a prominent media person to personally represent the McCanns.

Bolding mine:
    I really have to rack my brain too as to whether ou chancellor would quickly hurry to lend support to Germans suspected of having committed a crime in a foreign country.
    But maybe Brown felt some pressure because of the world-wide huge media attention this case had right from the start.
    Last edited by rashomon; May 10, 2009, 1:59 am at Sun May 10 1:59:23 UTC 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle_1 View Post
    One thing really troubles me about this case rashomon. Why didn't Kate McCann phone the Tapas Bar for her husband Gerry to go to their room quickly, it was an emergency? Instead, she leaves the other two children unattended even after having found Madeleine missing (?). She doesn't phone The Ocean Club staff to inform them or ask for their assistance. This I cannot understand (?).

The staff could have gone to the Tapas Bar and informed husband Gerry of the emergency. We hear no mention of this at all. We haven't heard too much from The Ocean Club staff, have we? I would have liked their input.
    Indeed, there are a lot of things we haven't heard and which make you wonder.
    Why all the McCann ballyhoo about the window ("open", "broken shutters", etc) as an alleged entry and exit point, when the window clearly had NOT been tampered with in any way?

Aso, if it is true (I don't have the source ready at the moment, please correct me anyone if I'm wrong) that Kate said the cuddle cat on the shelf convinced her an intruder took Maddie - well that must have been some neat freak of an intruder to put the plush toy back on the shelf before snatching his victim.

Quote Originally Posted by rashomon View Post
    Indeed, there are a lot of things we haven't heard and which make you wonder.
    Why all the McCann ballyhoo about the window ("open", "broken shutters", etc) as an alleged entry and exit point, when the window clearly had NOT been tampered with in any way?

Aso, if it is true (I don't have the source ready at the moment, please correct me anyone if I'm wrong) that Kate said the cuddle cat on the shelf convinced her an intruder took Maddie - well that must have been some neat freak of an intruder to put the plush toy back on the shelf before snatching his victim.

There is mention of cuddle cat in this article, rashomon:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2410363.ece

Was there a break-in?
    Kate and Gerry McCann, in an interview with The Times, said that the apartment was broken into. “I have no doubt in my mind that she was taken by somebody from the room,” Kate said. “We don’t know if it was one person, two, or if it was a group of people, but I know she was taken.” Members of Madeleine’s family have said that the shutter on an apartment window was forced. This window cannot be seen from the tapas bar and overlooks a car park and quiet residential street. But the Mark Warner holiday company said that there was no sign of a forced break-in. There are French windows but these can be seen from the tapas bar and holiday complex so an abductor is unlikely to have used them. Madeleine was reported to have been hugging her Cuddle Cat soft toy when she went to sleep, but it was found on a ledge beyond her reach after she vanished. This was taken to suggest she was abducted alive by an adult.

A bit pointless for someone in a hurry to abduct a child to waste time placing the soft toy on the shelf (?).
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Little View Post
    There are many differences culturally between the UK and the US even though we share a common language and ancestry. Another factor is the total population. The UK only has around 60 million people compared with over 300 million in the US. (Germany has about 82 million.) 60 million people compared to 300 million makes a huge difference in services and the amount of individual attention. It would be much more difficult for the President of 300 million to pay attention to various major crimes than the Prime Minister of 60 million.

I have learned first-hand how the differences in population size affect everything within a country. Australia only has around 20 million, the population size of Texas, yet they are spread out over a geographic area comparable to the lower 48 states of the US. Conversely, the UK land mass is slightly smaller than the state of Oregon! The US population, fives times greater than the UK's, is spread out over a much larger geographic area.

Numerically and geographically speaking, it would be much more difficult for Barack Obama to be in touch with a US citizen affected by crime than it would be for Gordon Brown and a UK citizen. However, in a high-profile case regarding a US citizen's child in a foreign country, I can see Mr. Obama using his influence to help US citizens in their quest for justice. Why wouldn't he? It is his job to protect American interests overseas.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Mr. Brown being available to help the McCanns, and I don't understand why there has been such a hue and cry against it. If I were the McCanns, I would try to get all the high-profile backing I could to propel the search for Maddie forward. If Maddie was my daughter, I would move heaven and earth to try to find her, even if that meant begging the President of the United States for his help.

Default Amaral's documentary narrated in English by a Portuguese woman

The Truth of the Lie English Narration 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB__7F-Ghpo

The Truth of the Lie English Narration 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozN7NSEX0Kw

The Truth of the Lie English Narration 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLwI30FIqJQ
    Here are the links for Amaral's documentary narrated in English by a Portuguese woman.

The Truth of the Lie English Narration 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvXDYVNd4o4

The Truth of the Lie English Narration 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4sLeaHkPY

The Truth of the Lie English Narration 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlh4amqA0_c
    No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. -Heraclitus Fragments c. 500 BC