Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb

I for one wish Pat Brown much success with her quest across the pond. Again I have no bets for either side except for truth and the finding of Madeleine or getting at the truth of what happened to her.

Right now for me the story of what happened that night she disappeared is a bit hazy. But I still feel that the 7 other adults present have some knowledge and should come forward once and for ever.
    "When are we going to get our heads out of the sand and understand that sometimes really nice people who look good on the outside are dastardly on the inside." Wendy Murphy, former prosecutor, MA

Quote Originally Posted by zoomama View Post
    I for one wish Pat Brown much success with her quest across the pond. Again I have no bets for either side except for truth and the finding of Madeleine or getting at the truth of what happened to her.

Right now for me the story of what happened that night she disappeared is a bit hazy. But I still feel that the 7 other adults present have some knowledge and should come forward once and for ever.
    I agree zoomama. IMO the McCann's cluttered up this case due to their involving any big name they could to run interference for them. That's what brought down the speculation that they and their friends knew more than they were saying. They didn't let the investigation run its course but instead were so arrogant in thinking that they should be above suspicion when the most important thing in the world to them should have been locating their child. Anything they went through paled in comparison to what she may have been going through. I don't feel sorry for them at all, I feel sorry for Madeleine, who IMO was abandoned both before and after.
    No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. -Heraclitus Fragments c. 500 BC

There is no doubt that Pat Brown is a good speaker and one of her strengths is that she makes a convincing case regardless of what she's speaking about.

First of all, I have no desire to tread on anyone's toes or to cause any tension here where I consider many of you to be good forum buddies. I know this case has divided opinion here but I would beg you to keep an open mind about the depth of Pat Brown's knowledge about the McCann. The fact is that she has no supporters on the pro side of the McCann case and relatively few on the anti side because of her proven, dubious famiiliarity with the basic facts of the case (like saying the McCanns dismiss the Smith sighting when the opposite is true and that they "fled" Portugal when their flights had been booked well in advance to coincide with the expiry on their accomodation lease).

Pat Brown doesn't have one coherent theory of what happened. Rather she has a load of "imagined scenarios" which she throws out but which don't actually connect with each other under scrutiny. She believes that the Gerry McCann went back to the apartment to check on his children and use the bathroom and that he found Madeleine unexpectedly dead behind the sofa in the living room. Instead of seeking medical help or even calling his wife, he decided instead to run through the streets of the town to the beach and dump her body.

Brown then theorises that when Kate McCann (legitimately) found Madeleine missing at 10pm, Gerry told her that Madeleine had died suddenly and that he'd gotten rid of her body. She goes on to suggest that he propose they pretend an abductor took her in case they got into trouble for leaving the children unattended. According to Brown, Kate immediately agreed to this as did all seven of their friends and that they have all kept up the pretence for five years now.

She has never attempted to explain why all of the group immediately told the police that they left their children - the very reason she gives for their cover-up "pact". In fact, she does not respond to questions about her theory in general.

When it comes down to it, if you are going to make up theories as to what happened, you could pretty much make up anything - including an alien abduction. But all anti-McCann theories require some element of conspiracy whether it's the group covering up for Gerry or the British and Portuguese governments covering up for the group. Intruder theories require no conspiracy - just a guy seizing an open opportuity to snatch a child.

Popular anti-McCann theories are that the McCanns and their friends were taking part in a government cloning experiement that that the Madeleine seen in Praia da Luz was a clone. Others believe she never actually existed and that every photo of her is photoshopped. Fantastic? I wish I wasn't being serious here - these are the lengths some people go to in order to make the evidence fit a McCann did it scenario.

Pat Brown doesn't like the McCanns but she has also admitted in a radio interview with Jom Bohannon that if they were to be up in court tomorrow, she would have to defend them because there is no evidence they did anything wrong. She says her theory is only an "imagined scenario" and that if it has no merit, the McCanns should just roll their eyes and laugh it off.

Her trip to Portugal
    Regarding her trip to Portugal, she lost a lot of credibility with her first "report" because she stated that no "intelligent abductor" would risk entering the McCann apartment because :-

1) The complex was well lit
    2) The McCann apartment is very exposed - a "veritable fishbowl".

She did not take account of the fact that following Madeleine's disappearance, there was an extensive and highly publicised upgrade to the lighting in and around the complex - including spotlights over the apartment itself.

Nor did she take account of the fact that since Madeleine's disappearance, the trees and shrubbery which virtually concealed the apartment entrance, have all been cut down - making it a "veritiable fishbowl" five years on.

It was an embarassing blooper and one which brought her under severe fire from both camps and she spent considerable effort sanitising it. However, you can read a comparison of the before and after versions here:-

http://regretsandramblings.com/2012/...ore-and-after/

She also argued that a child predator would never have chosen a holiday resort to stalk a victim but would instead have preyed in one of the residential parts of town or "any" nearby village. I ask what those members here make of that? Which makes a preferable stalking ground for a predator - a holiday resort full of transient holidaymakers and workers, or a residential area/village where people live all year round and know their neighbours?

Desecration?
    Brown proposed that the McCanns may have hidden Madeleine's body in an existing grave and whilst in Portugal, she searched for possible burial sites. Incredibly, she investigated several by digging into them. You can read about this at the link below. I'm not sure what the view on digging in graves is in the US, or in Portugal, but there are laws against it here (archaeologists require permission).

http://regretsandramblings.com/2012/...-and-petermac/

(NB - the owner of the Regrets and ramblings blog is Bren Ryan who owned the biggest anti-McCann forum of all - the3Arguidos).

Legal Actions
    Claims that they take legal action to silence anyone who doesn't agree with their version of events are completely false. The only time the McCanns take legal action is when someone's actions threatens the search for Madeleine. Any cash they win in settlements goes straight into the Madeleine search fund.

To date, they have sued:-

1. A few newspapers who published over 100 false stories about the case (including that Gerry wasn't Madeleine's biological father).

2. Goncalo Amaral, the detective who lead the case in the earliest days and who was removed from it. Amaral wrote a book which accused the McCanns of covering up Madeleine's death. The McCanns sued him for defamation and won the right to have the sale of the book stopped in the interim. After a couple of unsuccessful appeals, Amaral won the right to have the books restored to sale until the libel trial (a human rights judgement). The libel trial was due to take place in February, however Amaral's lawyer resigned at a fairly late stage of proceedings and the case was postponed to allow him time to find a new lawyer.

3. The McCanns have also taken action against controversial British ex-lawyer, ex-politician Tony Bennett who wites and distributes leaflets which accuse the McCanns of covering up Madeleine's death. Bennett capitulated to this action but is currently facing 153 contempt of court charges. If anything, the McCanns have been really patient with Bennett and have issued warning after warning when he broke his agreements. They have also made it clear that they don't want him imprisoned, they just want him to stop his campaign of harassment against them.

4. In August 2011, the McCanns sent a letter to Amazon complaining that Pat Brown's book which proposed they covered up their daughter's death was defamatory. Amazon immediately withdrew the book until both parties had resolved their differences. Brown never contacted the McCanns or their lawyers to find out what the precise objections were and she continues to sell the book through other outlets such as Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.

If someone writes a book accusing you of a horrible and heinous crime whilst simultaneously stating that this is just "imagined" and that there is no proof, how should you react? Especially when people are believing that theory has merit?

The now
    Five years on and Kate McCann is still running the Missing Madeleine campaign full time. She also fund raises for the Missing People charity. She has learned to deal with the hate mail and death threats saying quite simply that none of them come close to the pain of losing Madeleine. Gerry returned to work late in 2007 because he needed to support his family. He is a consultant cardiologist working for the NHS (state medical care). He is involved in many heart projects and some cutting edge developments too.

Scotland Yard are performing a review into the case because there was no centralised investigation. The Portuguese Police (PJs) had files, the McCann investigators had files, the Leicestershire Police in England had files but we know from past experience (i.e. Yorkshire Ripper case) that you can only successfully complete a jigsaw if you have all the pieces in one place. They took several months to gather all the data from the different sources, collate it, analyse it and now they are developing some lines of enquiry. They are reputed to be using some state of the art reconstruction software which enables them to feed in all the witness statements and then perform "what if?" scenarios.

Last week came the fantastic announcement that the Portuguese Judiciary are also to conduct a review of the original investigation with new investigators (fresh eyes).

What the press don't report
    There are a lot of shocking facts in the files which have received little press coverage - for example:-

There were several break-ins in the Ocean Club apartments in the weeks preceding Madeleine's disappearance. One was only just previous and was into the apartment directly above (Mrs Fenn). The occupant disturbed the intruder and he ran off. In another, the bold thief made off with a plasma TV!

Several months before Madeleine's disappearance, a woman who was babysitting in the very same apartment heard a noise outside of the apartment and went to investigate. Hearing a rustle she was alarmed and thought it was a rodent, but saw that it was instead a man lurking in the shrubbery. This incident also took place on a Thursday night which the babysitter recalled as "Tennis Night" at the complex. Madeleine was taken on a Thursday evening.

Goncalo Amaral himself commented on these incidents and said that the Hotels played down such crimes - presumably because they aren't good for business. In the case of the burglaries, there was no sign of a forced entry and police felt that the instruders had obtained copies of the apartment keys.

I'd be happy to supply sources/links for these if anyone is interested as the documentation is in the case files.

Another generally unreported fact is that there were a number of incidents in the vicinity prior to Madeleine's disappearance where an intruder broke in and assaulted a child in a holiday apartment bed. Here is the Telegraph (a respectable British newspaper) reporting on cases listed in the Portuguese police files:-

In 2008, when the Portuguese police officially stopped pursuing the case, their files revealed that in the three years preceding Madeleine’s disappearance, three intruders had been disturbed in children’s bedrooms within an hour’s drive of Praia de Luz and five children had been abused in their beds while on holiday in the Algarve. Evidence had not been collected, let alone collated or publicised.

Among the known paedophiles who could have been in the area are a British couple, Charles O’Neill, 48, and William Lauchlan, 34, both of whom are now in prison for murder in Britain. In May 2007, they were living in Spain, and possibly Portugal, on false passports. The previous year, they were posing as cleaners in a holiday villa complex in Gran Canaria when a child, Yeremi Vargas, went missing. Another possible suspect is Martin Ney, 40, who last month was arrested for the murder of Dennis Klein, a nine-year-old who vanished on a school trip in Germany in 2001. Ney resembles the photofit of the man seen carrying a child by one of the Tapas Seven, shortly before Madeleine’s bed was found empty.
    The fifth anniversary is approaching as is Madeleine's ninth birthday. A number of initiatives are planned including the publication of several abductor theories which fit the facts. Significantly, these abductor theories require none of the conspiracy elements which all of the McCann did it theories depend upon.

If anyone is interested, I will be happy to update you on these.

Sorry this is long. Hope it doesn't upset anyone :-)
    Last edited by Jayelles; March 18, 2012, 1:16 pm at Sun Mar 18 13:16:25 UTC 2012.
    This is my opinion and it may not be copied in whole or in part without my written permission

One other thing that's been lost in reporting is that the 7 McCann "friends" weren't all especially close friends of the couple.

The McCanns were very friendly with one couple and one of the other couple were also friendly with that same couple, but didn't know the McCanns especially well. The 7th "friend" was a grandmother who was tagging along and not a friend of the McCanns as such.

They had no motivation whatsoever to help them cover up a heinous crime and risk prosecution and professional and personal ruination for themselves.

I know that if we were invited by some friends to join a group of their friends for a holiday and one of the crowd's child was to suddenly die and the parent asked me to cover up the fact that they'd callously dumped the child on a sewage covered beach, I'd immediately and unhestitatingly report them to the police! I would not risk everything by becoming an accessory to what might have been murder.

I see that another missing child has been found alive after 8 years in the US. He/she? was kidnapped by a babysitter apparently. It just goes to show how we should never give up :-)
    This is my opinion and it may not be copied in whole or in part without my written permission

Better comparison of Pat brown's 2012 "veritable fishbowl" photo and photos of the apartments taken at the time of Madeleine's disappearance:-

http://exposingthemyths.blogspot.co....-research.html

Lightbulb

Hi Jayelles, once again your passion for the truth is evident. I have said from the start that I am not on one either side of this story but only want the missing Madeleine to be found. It has been some time now since I read Pat Brown's book and I've forgotten much of it in any detail. But I do recall that she wasn't so much accusing the McCann's as trying to get to the truth. The police investigations were not the most thorough to begin with. And perhaps that is the basic problem here. If one is on one side or the other there are some muddied waters to cross I feel. I'm shocked with what some of the rag type papers have put out there as to theories as you have reported them. This beautiful precious child must be found. I pray that she will be and that peace and harmony will return to her family.
    "When are we going to get our heads out of the sand and understand that sometimes really nice people who look good on the outside are dastardly on the inside." Wendy Murphy, former prosecutor, MA

It has been some time now since I read Pat Brown's book and I've forgotten much of it in any detail. But I do recall that she wasn't so much accusing the McCann's as trying to get to the truth.

Hi Zoomama. Brown certainly said she was trying to get at the truth, but I'm not sure how she hoped to achieve that by disregarding almost 20 witness statements in order to present her "imagined scenario".

There's a partial rebuttal of her book here complete with misinformation, contradictions etc:-

http://madeleinemythsexposed.pbworks...nn%20%28UPDATE

Personally, I think it's unhelpful to investigations when people in the public eye put out "fictionalised scenarios" (as Pat Brown sometimes describes her theories). Perhaps it's a cultural thing because our pro-judice laws forbid it in case it impacts on justice being served.

Especially in missing person cases, a lot depends upon public awareness. None of us are under any disillusions that Madeleine maybe dead - is probably dead. But until there is concrete proof of that, I think it's important to keep a positive outlook - i.e. keep looking.

We hear these wonderful stories about Jaycee Dugard (sp) and Shaun Hornbeck and Elizabeth Smart. Okay, most of them are in America but it goes to prove that some abductors do keep their captives alive and that it only takes one alert and public spirited soul to free them.

There's Elizabeth Smart married and positively glowing with health and happiness. I know that she's such an inspiration to families like the McCanns.

Thank you for being a wonderful person and keeping your mind open! X

Default Ps

Regarding my passion for the truth. I suppose it boils down to a bit of a fear about how misinformation can literally destroy peoples' lives. This is partly one of the themes of the Leveson enquiry (has that been reported in the US?).

The media report a false story which whips up public feeling against a person. Later on, it seems that no amount of rebuttal or retraction will fix the damage because once a myth is "out there" it will circulate cyberspace for all eternity.

There are still a bunch of people who hate the McCanns and who will never forgive them for leaving their children alone in the apartment whilst they ate. No matter how close the restaurant was, no matter how frequently they checked - the McCanns will always be the demons in some people's eyes (seemingly, even moreso than the person who took Madeleine).

There was a time when that bothered me, but not now. I can accept it and even respect it if they are honest enough to admit it (and a few do). A lot of these people will still say they hope Madeleine is found alive so we have some common ground!

However, I have saved examples of where someone has admitted that they hope Madeleine is dead because her parents don't deserve for her to be alive. Personally, I find that disgusting.

I don't have a particular "thing" for the McCanns other than a strong sympathy for their plight in missing a precious child. I've never tried to contact them. I don't make fan posts about Kate in the way that I used to see some of the RST post about PR.

I don't defend their decision to leave the kids alone but I will say that what they did was more than what a baby listening service would have provided and they are not illegal in Europe. However, I do feel incredible dismay when I read about the efforts to hurt them by a small group of people. They've had horrible things sent to them through the post and they've had people entering their property with goodness knows what intentions. They have two small children at home still and have had to get police protection on occasions and turn their home into a virtual fortress. Some people say well why don't they move? To me the answer is obvious. That is Madeleine's home. Her bedroom is untouched. If and when she comes home, she may remember it and that would help in her rehabilitation back into her family.

Bottom line is I don't understand the need to keep hurting this family five years on by creating "imagined scenarios" which don't fit the known facts of the case, aren't going to help with the investigation, could possibly hinder the investigation and which serve only to poison more minds against the victim's family. I worry that a "vulnerable" mind will be reached and poisoned and that this time someone will succeed in a violent act against the family.

So yes, if that's a passion for truth and justice, I am deffo guilty as charged :-)

ETA - Pat Brown has spent considerable time hanging out with some seriously dodgy characters on the social networking sites. Sometimes she asks them for information about the case:-

http://mccannhateexposed.pbworks.com...n#PatBrownnbsp

We know that there are a couple of journalists researching what the media call the "hate campaign" against the McCanns and it's possible that there may be a tv programme about it too in the wake of the Leveson Enquiry where journalists admitted making up stories about the couple.

Arrow

Jay, in this morning's paper there was a small article stating that Scotland Yard has now begun another look at the police inquiry from the Local police (is it JP?). I'm sorry I don't have my paper right handy as I share it with my neighbor every day. So I'm not exactly sure when or if this "new" investigation will take place.

Are you aware of any thing like that taking place? And no I'm also not aware of the "Leveson inquiry". Could they be one and the same thing?

Jay, in this morning's paper there was a small article stating that Scotland Yard has now begun another look at the police inquiry from the Local police (is it JP?). I'm sorry I don't have my paper right handy as I share it with my neighbor every day. So I'm not exactly sure when or if this "new" investigation will take place.

Are you aware of any thing like that taking place? And no I'm also not aware of the "Leveson inquiry". Could they be one and the same thing?
    They are not the same thing Zoomama.

Scotland Yard are reviewing the McCann case (review as opposed to investigate). The case is unusual in that there have been several investigating agencies. Firstlt, the Portuguese police, then there are the various private detectives which were hired by the McCanns in Spain and in the UK (PIs are actually illegal in Portugal). Finally, there is a British police who also conducted their own bits of the enquiry. For example, they followed up on many of the interviews and did a lot of the forensic work.

A few decades ago, we had the famous Yorkshire Ripper case which because of the geography of the killings, fell into the jurisdiction of several different constabularies. This resulted in there being case files in different locations but no central resource. If there had been a central investigating agency, the case would almost certainly have been solved quite early on.

You guys have the FBI to deal with cases which cross state boundaries but we don't have such a body in Europe. Therefore, the McCann case was stuck with several different investigating agencies which were not under a central control.

The McCanns lobbied for a while to have all the files brought together and looked at by one central agency so that a more effective investigation could take place. Finally last summer, they were successful in getting David Cameron (British Prime Minister) to order a "review" of the case using Scotland Yard.

As you can imagine, it's been a long process because there are tens (possibly hundreds) of thousands of documents produced by all the different agencies.

Recently, I had to give a statement to police. I really didn't have much to contribute but they still managed to fill out three full pages of A4 (letter size) so one can only begin to imagine the documentation relating to a missing child investigation. Plus it all had to be translated, collated, compared.... So it's going to take a while and it's costing millions (something which not everyone is happy with). Having said that, if this review turns up a lead which leads to the capture of a criminal or criminal gang, who can put a price on it?

I'm guessing that the translating and collating part has been done now because it was reported very recently, that Scotland yard (SY) are now ready to start re-interviewing key witnesses. They are also using some state of the art reconstruction software which can compile/recompile the scenario using different values of all the variables (timings, positions etc).

Last week, it was announced that Portugal has also assembled a team who are going to go review their part in the investigation which is wonderful news. As far as we're all aware, SY & the PJs having been working co-operatively on this. That is certainly the official report.

Re Leveson. It's an investigation into press practices. This all came about as a result of the exposure of some very dirty tricks being used by members of the British media - i.e. phone hacking. An enquiry was ordered to investigate media practices and numerous high profile cases have been reviewed as case examples. The McCann case has been fairly well mentioned as one of the worst examples of false media coverage. A couple of months ago, we saw journalist after journalist giving evidence about how they had reported stories which they knew to be false and even fabricated.

One of these stories highlighted by Leveson was the alleged body fluids in the McCanns' hire car - a false story which still circulates today, claimed as a fact. Then there was Kate's diary. It was taken as evidence, photocopied and translated into Portuguese. There was nothing in it and the guy in charge ordered for the photocopies to be destroyed. Instead, it found its way into the hands of the tabloids and they published it selectively. We know now that the translations weren't accurate either and that it was these erroneous translations which were reported in the newspapers - proving that the British newspapers who published the diary had obtained the Portuguese translations and not the English photocopies.

The Leveson enquiry isn't just about the McCann case though. There have been a lot of shocking stories emerging of dirty press practices and a lot of angry responses to the revelation that the media published stories which they knew weren't true. After all, who wants to pay for lies?

I cannot begin to imagine how awful it would be for someone to circulate a false story about you - that you were cruel to your children or had a criminal record or had caused someone's death. Naturally, the people in your real life will know it's not true, but there have been a quite alarming number of cases over recent years of people who have suffered violence and terror at the hands of people (strangers) who thought it was true. There have been cases of parents whose children have tragically committed suicide who have suffered horrible attacks on memorial Facebook sites. In Britain, it's officially been named "trolling" (a term we've always used on the forum) and is now being recognised and treated as a hate crime.

For me, one of the worst things is that the lies never really go away on the Internet. I saw this with the Ramsey case and I am seeing it with the McCann case. Someone will always be reading it for the first time and end up repeating it to a whole new audience. It doesn't matter how often you rebut it, it'll keep popping up, so why waste your breath? Who wants to play an eternal game of whack the rat! Some people will believe what they want to believe anyway. A group of us are building a wiki site to rebut McCann case myths and we aim to use primary sources wherever possible.

Pat Brown knows that much of what she claimed as fact in her ebook is not fact. Yet she has never corrected it. A friend of mine recently published her first novel to Kindle and she emailed all of us saying "If you find a typo, please let me know because it's so easy edit on Kindle". Brown says she is working on a re-write of the book so presumably she will address misinformation then, but also presumably her fans will have to (re)buy the corrected version too.

My view is - as long as people are honest. As I said before, some people cannot get past the fact the McCanns left the children in the apartment and if five years on, that's all they've got to add to the discussion, fair enough because it's a fact. Boring discussion, but a fact nevertheless :-)

Similarly, if anyone wants to put forward a McCann did it theory which is based on the facts, that's fair enough too. Unfortunately, the only McCann did it theories I've seen either ignore established facts, base themselves on long-discretied tabloid myths or they involve a high level of far-fetched conspiracy. Having said that, nowadays I'm only really really irritated with misinformation. The weirder theories are IMO a fascinating insight into the opiner's mind!

The forum I belong to has some anti-McCann members who'd rather post with the pros than with the loony fringe of cloned Maddie and never-existed Maddie theorists. We all get on fine and don't tread on each others' toes. What we have in common is a desire for the truth - i.e. let's end the misinformation. I can say, it was quite strange to be posting amongst fellow Scots instead of being the token Brit amongst Americans:-)

I just wish it would be solved one way or the other because I cannot think of anything worse than not knowing where your child is.

Interesting is the Eyes for Lies blog. I keep reading that site and thinking how unegotistical she is. It's all about the cases she looks at. She writes in plain English too.

Currently running a poll on whether people believe John Ramsey:-

http://blog.eyesforlies.com/search/label/John%20Ramsey

http://blog.eyesforlies.com/2007/10/...interview.html

Lightbulb

Jay, thanks for the explanation of the Leveson case. There is entirely too much fluff and fodder put into the "news" stories that are supposed to be NEWS. As far as you being the token Brit or Scot in the American forums well Lassie, I never considered what your origin was nor did it matter to me as I read your very thorough exams of the cases we were following. If you felt like an outsider then I apologize for all Americans (myself included) that made you feel that way. That should not have happened at all.

I've been following off and on the Eyes for Lies blogs. It's interesting that she has a heading for the Burke Ramsey interview but noted that it is not available for viewing. Oh Tongue in cheek I suspect here. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jayelles View Post
    There is no doubt that Pat Brown is a good speaker and one of her strengths is that she makes a convincing case regardless of what she's speaking about.

First of all, I have no desire to tread on anyone's toes or to cause any tension here where I consider many of you to be good forum buddies. I know this case has divided opinion here but I would beg you to keep an open mind about the depth of Pat Brown's knowledge about the McCann. The fact is that she has no supporters on the pro side of the McCann case and relatively few on the anti side because of her proven, dubious famiiliarity with the basic facts of the case (like saying the McCanns dismiss the Smith sighting when the opposite is true and that they "fled" Portugal when their flights had been booked well in advance to coincide with the expiry on their accomodation lease).

Pat Brown doesn't have one coherent theory of what happened. Rather she has a load of "imagined scenarios" which she throws out but which don't actually connect with each other under scrutiny. She believes that the Gerry McCann went back to the apartment to check on his children and use the bathroom and that he found Madeleine unexpectedly dead behind the sofa in the living room. Instead of seeking medical help or even calling his wife, he decided instead to run through the streets of the town to the beach and dump her body.

Brown then theorises that when Kate McCann (legitimately) found Madeleine missing at 10pm, Gerry told her that Madeleine had died suddenly and that he'd gotten rid of her body. She goes on to suggest that he propose they pretend an abductor took her in case they got into trouble for leaving the children unattended. According to Brown, Kate immediately agreed to this as did all seven of their friends and that they have all kept up the pretence for five years now.

She has never attempted to explain why all of the group immediately told the police that they left their children - the very reason she gives for their cover-up "pact". In fact, she does not respond to questions about her theory in general.

When it comes down to it, if you are going to make up theories as to what happened, you could pretty much make up anything - including an alien abduction. But all anti-McCann theories require some element of conspiracy whether it's the group covering up for Gerry or the British and Portuguese governments covering up for the group. Intruder theories require no conspiracy - just a guy seizing an open opportuity to snatch a child.

Popular anti-McCann theories are that the McCanns and their friends were taking part in a government cloning experiement that that the Madeleine seen in Praia da Luz was a clone. Others believe she never actually existed and that every photo of her is photoshopped. Fantastic? I wish I wasn't being serious here - these are the lengths some people go to in order to make the evidence fit a McCann did it scenario.

Pat Brown doesn't like the McCanns but she has also admitted in a radio interview with Jom Bohannon that if they were to be up in court tomorrow, she would have to defend them because there is no evidence they did anything wrong. She says her theory is only an "imagined scenario" and that if it has no merit, the McCanns should just roll their eyes and laugh it off.

Her trip to Portugal
    Regarding her trip to Portugal, she lost a lot of credibility with her first "report" because she stated that no "intelligent abductor" would risk entering the McCann apartment because :-

1) The complex was well lit
    2) The McCann apartment is very exposed - a "veritable fishbowl".

She did not take account of the fact that following Madeleine's disappearance, there was an extensive and highly publicised upgrade to the lighting in and around the complex - including spotlights over the apartment itself.

Nor did she take account of the fact that since Madeleine's disappearance, the trees and shrubbery which virtually concealed the apartment entrance, have all been cut down - making it a "veritiable fishbowl" five years on.

It was an embarassing blooper and one which brought her under severe fire from both camps and she spent considerable effort sanitising it. However, you can read a comparison of the before and after versions here:-

http://regretsandramblings.com/2012/...ore-and-after/

She also argued that a child predator would never have chosen a holiday resort to stalk a victim but would instead have preyed in one of the residential parts of town or "any" nearby village. I ask what those members here make of that? Which makes a preferable stalking ground for a predator - a holiday resort full of transient holidaymakers and workers, or a residential area/village where people live all year round and know their neighbours?

Desecration?
    Brown proposed that the McCanns may have hidden Madeleine's body in an existing grave and whilst in Portugal, she searched for possible burial sites. Incredibly, she investigated several by digging into them. You can read about this at the link below. I'm not sure what the view on digging in graves is in the US, or in Portugal, but there are laws against it here (archaeologists require permission).

http://regretsandramblings.com/2012/...-and-petermac/

(NB - the owner of the Regrets and ramblings blog is Bren Ryan who owned the biggest anti-McCann forum of all - the3Arguidos).

Legal Actions
    Claims that they take legal action to silence anyone who doesn't agree with their version of events are completely false. The only time the McCanns take legal action is when someone's actions threatens the search for Madeleine. Any cash they win in settlements goes straight into the Madeleine search fund.

To date, they have sued:-

1. A few newspapers who published over 100 false stories about the case (including that Gerry wasn't Madeleine's biological father).

2. Goncalo Amaral, the detective who lead the case in the earliest days and who was removed from it. Amaral wrote a book which accused the McCanns of covering up Madeleine's death. The McCanns sued him for defamation and won the right to have the sale of the book stopped in the interim. After a couple of unsuccessful appeals, Amaral won the right to have the books restored to sale until the libel trial (a human rights judgement). The libel trial was due to take place in February, however Amaral's lawyer resigned at a fairly late stage of proceedings and the case was postponed to allow him time to find a new lawyer.

3. The McCanns have also taken action against controversial British ex-lawyer, ex-politician Tony Bennett who wites and distributes leaflets which accuse the McCanns of covering up Madeleine's death. Bennett capitulated to this action but is currently facing 153 contempt of court charges. If anything, the McCanns have been really patient with Bennett and have issued warning after warning when he broke his agreements. They have also made it clear that they don't want him imprisoned, they just want him to stop his campaign of harassment against them.

4. In August 2011, the McCanns sent a letter to Amazon complaining that Pat Brown's book which proposed they covered up their daughter's death was defamatory. Amazon immediately withdrew the book until both parties had resolved their differences. Brown never contacted the McCanns or their lawyers to find out what the precise objections were and she continues to sell the book through other outlets such as Barnes and Noble and Smashwords.

If someone writes a book accusing you of a horrible and heinous crime whilst simultaneously stating that this is just "imagined" and that there is no proof, how should you react? Especially when people are believing that theory has merit?

The now
    Five years on and Kate McCann is still running the Missing Madeleine campaign full time. She also fund raises for the Missing People charity. She has learned to deal with the hate mail and death threats saying quite simply that none of them come close to the pain of losing Madeleine. Gerry returned to work late in 2007 because he needed to support his family. He is a consultant cardiologist working for the NHS (state medical care). He is involved in many heart projects and some cutting edge developments too.

Scotland Yard are performing a review into the case because there was no centralised investigation. The Portuguese Police (PJs) had files, the McCann investigators had files, the Leicestershire Police in England had files but we know from past experience (i.e. Yorkshire Ripper case) that you can only successfully complete a jigsaw if you have all the pieces in one place. They took several months to gather all the data from the different sources, collate it, analyse it and now they are developing some lines of enquiry. They are reputed to be using some state of the art reconstruction software which enables them to feed in all the witness statements and then perform "what if?" scenarios.

Last week came the fantastic announcement that the Portuguese Judiciary are also to conduct a review of the original investigation with new investigators (fresh eyes).

What the press don't report
    There are a lot of shocking facts in the files which have received little press coverage - for example:-

There were several break-ins in the Ocean Club apartments in the weeks preceding Madeleine's disappearance. One was only just previous and was into the apartment directly above (Mrs Fenn). The occupant disturbed the intruder and he ran off. In another, the bold thief made off with a plasma TV!

Several months before Madeleine's disappearance, a woman who was babysitting in the very same apartment heard a noise outside of the apartment and went to investigate. Hearing a rustle she was alarmed and thought it was a rodent, but saw that it was instead a man lurking in the shrubbery. This incident also took place on a Thursday night which the babysitter recalled as "Tennis Night" at the complex. Madeleine was taken on a Thursday evening.

Goncalo Amaral himself commented on these incidents and said that the Hotels played down such crimes - presumably because they aren't good for business. In the case of the burglaries, there was no sign of a forced entry and police felt that the instruders had obtained copies of the apartment keys.

I'd be happy to supply sources/links for these if anyone is interested as the documentation is in the case files.

Another generally unreported fact is that there were a number of incidents in the vicinity prior to Madeleine's disappearance where an intruder broke in and assaulted a child in a holiday apartment bed. Here is the Telegraph (a respectable British newspaper) reporting on cases listed in the Portuguese police files:-

The fifth anniversary is approaching as is Madeleine's ninth birthday. A number of initiatives are planned including the publication of several abductor theories which fit the facts. Significantly, these abductor theories require none of the conspiracy elements which all of the McCann did it theories depend upon.

If anyone is interested, I will be happy to update you on these.

Sorry this is long. Hope it doesn't upset anyone :-)
    WOW Jay...thanks for all the information! I think if people go into any missing person case with a preconceived notion, they are doing themselves a huge injustice. Pat's opinion is her own, and she seems pretty quick to say 'hey it's out there, but it is what I think" and truth be told none if us can do any differently. I also can't believe so much time has gone by, geez, almost 9, that is a long long time - I only pray there will be a resolution someday. Thanks again Jay...appreciate ya!
    It's probably too late to get justice for JonBenét. Maybe it always was. But knowing where things went wrong is the first step to not going there again. **-- Alan Prendergast-Dec 21, 2006--**