Because innocent people do not seek out a criminal attorney before they are arrested,

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Little, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Little

Little Member

"Because innocent people do not seek out a criminal attorney before they are arrested, guilty ones do."

I hope it's ok to borrow from Websleuths, (this is the Caylee Anthony murder case) but this statement by Richard Hornsby at Websleuths just had me thinking John and Patsy Ramsey, the "missing" phone records, and how quickly they lawyered up. Red highlighting mine....

2. Elle

Elle Member

Good find, Little! How true!

3. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

That kind of says it all, don't you think Little? Thanks for bringing this over.

4. Little

Little Member

Now that the dust has settled statements like this bring home just how crafty the initial planning was the morning of 12/26/96. Once that secret phone call was made the wheels to injustice were set in motion and John and Pasty just had to follow the script. Besides their integrity I wonder just how much that piece of advise cost them. We know a lot of what it cost many others who the Ramseys knowingly allowed to be tossed under the bus. Steve Thomas, the Whites, and many others lost a part of their life they can never retrieve. The old saying though that to live well is the best revenge certainly applies.

John and Patsy Ramsey never stopped running away from that little girl's body they left under the Christmas tree. For people who loved their lifestyle before JonBenet was killed I dare say they paid some price for their deceit, lies, and sins. If there's any justice left for John to pay for the time allotted to him on this earth, may he never ever stop looking over his shoulder. What happens to him afterward is up to someone who doesn't take cash.

5. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Thanks, Little. Very interesting.

I'm reading Mark Fuhrman's new book, and I find stuff all through it just like this. He's talking about other cases and the media, etc., but what he says applies so well to the Ramseys and the murder of JonBenet.

Once we get through the holidays, maybe we can have that discussion about Furhman's book.

6. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Excellent idea...by the way DeeDee, who gets the book next? You sent it to me, and I sent it to KK, and she is halfway through...who else wants to take advantage of the "pass around book?

7. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Innocent people don't seek out a publicist either.....that one really blew me away. Almost like guilt or innocence can be tied to good publicity versus bad publicity.

Also what innocent people buy lawyers for each kid, ex wife etc...?

John's ex was in another state during the crime with witnesses....and yet HE lawyered HER up?

I noticed a lot of innocent parents fully cooperated with law enforcement immediately to clear themselves.....the Ramseys avoided cooperating like the plague.

8. Learnin

Learnin Member

One good point, indeed!

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

Whoever wants the book next, simply PM KK with your mailing address and it will be sent.

Just a thought, Moab- when we are done with the book here, do you think there is any merit in offering it on WS? Or are there people there who we'd rather not exchange addresses with? Makes no difference to me- if no one wants it after KK, then KK can PM me when finished and I'll give my mailing address to return it to me.

10. Tez

Tez Member

DeeDee, May I read it next? I will PM my address to KK, if it is alright with you?

Thanks!

11. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

Certainly! My offer is open to anyone here! PM KK to let her know you are next.

12. Tez

Tez Member

Thanks DeeDee! I've already PM'd her with my info! I look forward to reading the book!

13. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

I can't believe others on THIS forum have not wanted to read it...We are waiting until several have read it to have a good discussion on it. I'm not sure about getting WS involved...

14. Tez

Tez Member

I'll take good notes, so I'll know what we are discussing!!! LOL

15. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

I'm not sure that hiring a lawyer is necesarily a smoking gun. I think (and this is personally speaking) that our life experiences and those of our friends would tend to influence us a lot in such circumstances. For example, I worked for many years for a large company which had very bizarre rules about confidentiality. Not only were employees not allowed to discuss business matters with each other, but they weren't allowed to discuss their own jobs with others either! It fostered a tremendous climate of distrust and paranoia. There was even a system in place whereby employees could "report" each other anonymously for breaches in company policy - and this could be something as simple as telling a colleague what your salary or grade was! Needless to say, I blame my years spent working for this company on my undoubtedly excessive caution and lack of trust. It was a miserable environment to work in and the only reason I stayed was because I had a fantastic salary and was saving hard at the time! Nowadays I work in the public sector where everything is out in the open and it's so much better.

I am inclined to take all necessary steps to safeguard my interests and that of my family - much more so than my husband is and this has led to conflict on a number of occasions. In a sense, my experience working in the closed environment led to a form of conditioning which comes as natural to me as checking the doors are locked at bedtime and I think there will be others who would instinctively make moves to protect their legal interests in matters involving the police and other authorities. On that note, the Ramseys engaging lawyers early on has never been a red flag for me. I think John Ramsey would be used to consulting lawyers before he passed wind given his day to day high level business dealings. OTOH, what has always been a red herring to me was their refusal to be interviewed by police until 4 months had passed. I find that hideously suspicious. If I had been in their place, I think I would definitely have hired the lawyers, but I would have walked into the police station WITH my lawyer in tow to protect my interests.

Regarding publicists - who knows how we'd deal with media interest of that scale. The parents of other disappeared/murdered children have also had to hire publicists. I think we may tend to think publicist = Max Clifford type thing - i.e. someone whose job it is to promote our image and get us as much personal exposure as possible, but that's only one of their jobs. They also fend off the media or update them where necessary. If I was dealing with a personal tragedy, I think I'd sooner hire a publicist to deal with media intrusion so that I could deal with the grief in private.

16. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Okay, Tez, you're next. I'm on the last two chapters. Holidays slowed me down.

17. Tez

Tez Member

Don't rush!!! Take excellent notes for our discussion!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice