The Sunroom Light

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Learnin, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Learnin

Learnin Member

I just can't get this sunroom light out of my head for some reason. You know, the one which the neighbor said was turned off the night of JBR's death and it was the first time they could remember it being turned off.

Well, I've always wondered what kind of a light it was and I may have brought this up on another thread somewhere. At any rate, someone, on another forum, posted a transcript of Patsy being questioned about what lights were left on at night. Patsy stated that a lamp was left on in the sunroom. Well, I guess that answers my question.

I have to believe this lamp was probably left burning day and night since I do not believe someone went in there, every evening, and turned it on. Possibly, it was a light which had an electronic eye. At any rate, this light must have been left on purposely for security since Patsy readily remembers that light being one that was left on. I would imagine, the sun room being surrounded by glass, a light would deter intruders from being in that part of the house.

Sorry for such a long lead in. Why was that light turned off this particular night? Since it was a lamp, someone had to walk into that open room and turn the lamp off. Who would have a need to do that?

Why would an intruder have need to go to that corner of the house, risk being seen in the room, and turn off the light when his deed would not take him to that part of the house?

All of these things increase the time for an intruder to spend in the house (ransom note, dressing-undressing, fashioning a weapon in the house, etc.)

Was there something in one of those rooms bordering the sun room that a Ramsey would have need of in the staging? It was a long time from 11:30 til 5:00 a.m. and, obviously, a lot took place.

I think we touched upon this briefly but, since I now know it was a lamp, and I know someone had to turn it off, it just has my curiosity up.

2. Elle

Elle Member

Understandable as to why you can't get it out of your head, Learnin. I don't ever remember this important part of this crime ever being discussed enough by Law enforcement. Strange it wasn't functioning on this night of all nights(?).

Have you evere tallied up all the unanswered questions? Frustrating!

3. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Learnin,

This doesn't answer your question at all but it's just a thought. I have a lamp on a timer in a room in my house. Sometimes the timer goes haywire because we have periodic power outages and then there is the thing that the light bulb may have burned out. But why on that night? Well these were just suggestions.
    You are right in that it is an interesting point that hasn't been explained.

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

That could be-also the bulb could have simply burned out. But I don't think either of those things are the case. I think that someone in the home deliberately turned off that light so they wouldn't be seen walking around. It's just too coincidental.

5. Learnin

Learnin Member

Yea, it''s possible that it was on a timer and something went wrong..or, as you say, the bulb burned out.

But, on the other hand, it's quite a coincidence for it to be out on that night. It's just one of those little things I believe could shed some light on this case if the culprit(s) did turn it out that night. They had a purpose in doing so.

I wonder if LE ever dusted the lamp switch for prints, checked to see if the timer was working properly or if the bulb was burned out. After all, didn't LE the neighbor inform LE about the light a day or so after the murder? I would've gone straight to that light to check it out after hearing this, I believe. We would expect to find Ramsey prints on the light but, if the light was working properly and bulb was fine, and there were no unknown prints on the light, then, that might tell LE something.

6. Learnin

Learnin Member

That's kinda what I think. Did a certain someone plan on doing some of the staging in that room, or adjacent rooms, and then decided not to? Where did the strip of black tape come from? Some have thought it could have been taken off the back of a picture or the doll that JBR got for Christmas. Was the doll still lying in the living room where JBR unwrapped it? Was the flashlight left in one of the front rooms and a certain someone retrieved it from there?

7. Kelly

Kelly Member

Excellent question.

8. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

No one knows where the black tape came from, but a receipt for an item matching the tape in price and department (as well as the cord) was found to have been made with an R credit card shortly before the murder.
    Patsy had her sister remove dolls from the home. LE never supervised her raid on the crime scene. Possibly that doll was one of the ones removed. JB had American Girl dolls. Owners of such dolls are advised by the manufacturer to put a piece of tape over the cord which fixes the doll's vinyl head to the cloth body so that the cord won't interfere with the doll's hair or clothes. Some American Girl dolls were removed by Patsy's sister.
    Suspiciously, a NEW American Girl doll was delivered to JR's office at Access Graphics just AFTER the murder. The doll was ordered AFTER the murder, not before. Wonder why they needed a new one at that point....LE dropped the ball on this, also, never questioning them about that "replacement" doll.
    The flashlight appears in crime photos in the kitchen area. It was found completely wiped of prints, even the batteries were removed, wiped clean and replaced (this would be an unprecedented event in an intruder crime). Strange "moving" lights were reported by a neighbor in the wee hours moving about the kitchen- certainly the perp moving in the dark holding the flashlight.
    I doubt any staging was planned for the sunroom- more likely the light on that room also illuminated an adjacent area and that was the reason to want the light off. Turning off the light (in the R's opinion) would make it more believable that an intruder was in the area.

9. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

These are all excellent points

And ones that should have been looked into at the time. But now.....there is no way to do any checking of any of these things. This makes me mad!

Does anyone here think that the current LE would be even remotely interested in any of this? Would we be doing a service if we sent letters explaining any of this to them? Just a thought. Like it is always said ... even the most insignificant piece of info can be the case breaker. Well we have many many unanswered questions and different avenues to explore. Well, maybe. (Or would itjust be reminding them of how badly they did the first time around!)

10. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

I suppose it could be tried. But honestly? I don't think the new investigation is going to go any further than the old one. Why? Because they already know what happened.

11. Learnin

Learnin Member

Yea, I've read posts about this doll thing before.

You're probably right about the light shining into an adjacent room but, still the question remains. Why would, the perpetrator of this crime, need access to one of those rooms?

The rooms, utilized in this horrible event, were the kitchen, spiralstaircase, butlers kitchen, basement and JBR's room. All these were located at the opposite corner of the house, etc. I don't see an intruder venturing to that part of the house.

12. Learnin

Learnin Member

It seems to me that this won't be solved without a confession or by someone suddenly receiving a revelation about some little insignificant piece of evidence. A light suddenly comes on by the consideration of why some thing was done by the perp.

13. madeleine_ws

madeleine_ws Member

I agree and it's not only about them knowing.It's not only about the R's and their reputation either.By keep investigating RDI they (all of them,LE,DA people and the rest) have to admit that they made huge mistakes in the past.It isn't in their best interest isn't it,it could cause huge scandals.Take only M.Lacy for ex.They will have to expose her bs.The same with AH.Nope,I don't think the authorities would want that.

14. Learnin

Learnin Member

I just viewed a video tour of the Ramsey house trying to figure out what might have been in the sunroom, or the adjacent rooms, that the perpetrator might have needed access to.

One thing struck my attention. There is a fireplace in the living room which is very close to the entrance to the sunroom. Could someone have destroyed evidence in the fireplace that night? Tape, cord, practice ransom note pages, etc.

Or:

I remember reading, somewhere, about a brick or something that was noted in the fireplace. Was this the fireplace? Anyone know more about this?

Just trying to figure out why someone would need that sunroom light off?

15. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

Interesting. I recall reading that fireplace debris was looked at, but at this point there isn't much about it, and as I said, that area may have illuminated adjacent areas where whoever was moving around that night may not have wanted to be seen.
    I also recall reading that JR's dark blue terry bathrobe had been found in an odd place- the den. Not in his bedroom or bath. But on the first floor of the house, in the den. Odd place to get dressed/undressed. There were dark blue cotton (terry?) fibers found on JB's pubic and thigh area, where blood was wiped off. Yet we have never seen of these fibers were tested against that bathrobe or any towel in the home.
    These fibers are different than the dark fibers matching JR's wool Israeli shirt that were found on the INSIDE of the pantie crotch. (panties that did not belong to her anyway).

16. Learnin

Learnin Member

Yea, I figured the fireplace had been looked at. I would imagine that, if anyone had tried to burn evidence there, they would have swept up the ashes and flushed them down the toilet or something.

Very intereting about the blue bath robe. Never read that before.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice