Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elle_1 View Post
    Don't you think the Ramseys could have wandered into the room where this movie was being watched at the White's on Christmas night? Don't hear you guys discussing this one at all(?). I think the idea would have already been in Patsy's head then having just come from the Whites(?) Surely those who watched it may have discussed it.
    [/FONT]
    Maybe Patsy was glued to it, but looking at the script of Nick of Time, I don't see that its language and structure made it into the note. The closest thing I see is "Listen to me. Carefully" and that's spoken by the hero, not the kidnapper.

Perhaps Nick of Time did give her the idea to stage a kidnapping when she found herself with a half-dead child on her hands. That's not incompatible with using Ruthless People's ransom demand as a template--if she had the movie.

Maybe a combination of all of them, not one particular movie (?), but "In the Nick of Time" had to be fresh in both the Ramsey's minds having just come away from the White's home where this movie was just shown. I'll speak for myself here, when I watch a movie, the content stays with me for quite some time after I've seen it and my husband and I discuss it off and on after the movie and even the next day etc. Especially if there are catchy sayings in it that stand out.
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Learnin View Post
    Let me ask you a question before I make a few observations.
    I've never seen this particular movie. What kind of a person would this movie appeal to? Was it a comedy?
    BTW, In 1997 Patsy said that their favorite type of movie was comedy, or rather that John's favorite type of movie was comedy. She didn't seem to have any favorite movies. She just went along with what the men in the house wanted.

And she didn't have to own Ruthless People as I suggested before; she just needed to have it in the house. She could have rented it or borrowed it from the library. I believe she would have had it on Christmas night, though, unless she had a photographic memory.

Maybe a combination of all of them, not one particular movie (?), but "In the Nick of Time" had to be fresh in both the Ramsey's minds having just come away from the White's home where this movie was just shown. I'll speak for myself here, when I watch a movie, the content stays with me for quite some time after I've seen it and my husband and I discuss it off and on after the movie and even the next day etc. Especially if there are catchy sayings in it that stand out.
    From my perusal of the script, there aren't any catchy lines in it. I also checked one of those "Memorable Quotes" websites. I can't imagine you and your husband spending too much time on any of those, but it is a memorable movie. I remember the hero confiding in the guy shining his shoes, getting him to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by fr brown View Post
    The movie is a comedy starring Bette Midler, Danny Devito, Judge Reinhold and Helen Slater. It's rated "R." It was already 10 years-old by the time of the murder. Patsy might own it, especially if she was a Bette Midler fan.

I don't think that the wording of the ransom demand is memorable enough to have been committed to memory, but when Patsy was fishing around for a template she might have thought about it. The kidnapping was genuine in the movie.

I don't think an adolescent helped compose the note or that she was on the phone with anyone composing it. Steve Thomas said that there's evidence of a practice note before the "practice" note. I think Patsy spent the missing nine pages getting the note to sound just right. Try doing that with a child at your elbow or while you're on the phone.

A large part of the movie is devoted to Sam Stone pulling the wool over the cops' eyes because he's actually delighted that his wife's been kidnapped. He puts his hand over his eyes and peeks over it at one point to see how the cops are reacting.
    Just like Patsy was peeking through her splayed fingers....hmmmm.

I'm talking about the movie which was shown at the White's house while the Ramseys were there, according to this information fb, not Patsy's house. Bette Middler is not in this movie. There are a few movies with the same title.
    I'm thinking this 1995 may be the one.

This movie (1995) is not a comedy. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113972/ Genres:Crime | Drama | Thriller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCrqRQi73us

Gene Watson is a public accountant who arrives on a train at Union Station in Los Angeles, accompanied by his 6-year-old daughter Lynn. Because of his ordinary looks, he is approached by a pair of sinister people named Smith and Jones. Pretending to be cops, Smith and Jones kidnap Lynn and confront Gene with a simple choice -- kill California governor Eleanor Grant in 90 minutes or less, or Lynn will die. Watson is given a gun, six bullets, and a name tag, and he is told to go to the Westin Bonaventure Hotel and kill Eleanor, who is giving an afternoon speech. While Jones is watching Lynn in a van, Smith watches Watson in order to prevent Watson from alerting the authorities. Watson must quickly find some way to get himself and Lynn out of this seemingly impossible situation. Written by Todd Baldridge

Quote:
    http://www.acandyrose.com/crimescene-ransomnote.htm

Movie "In the Nick of Time"

1999 February 18 - Lawrence Schillers book "Perfect
    Murder, Perfect Town

Page 225:

"On the night JonBenet was murdered, the movie 'Nick of Time' aired at 7:30 P.M. on a Boulder cable channel. The story centers on an unarmed political faction that kidnaps a six-year-old girl. The victim is told, "Listen to me very carefully.' Bill Cox, who was staying with Fleet and Priscilla White, told the police he remembered watching the movie that night."

Last edited by Elle_1; October 25, 2010, 7:52 am at Mon Oct 25 7:52:47 UTC 2010.
    Just my opinion.

I know, Elle. I've seen both Ruthless People and Nick of Time. I looked at both scripts and the "memorable quotes" for both.

While I think a recent viewing of NoT might have inspired Patsy to stage a kidnapping, I see hardly any resemblance in language between that movie and the ransom note.

Quote Originally Posted by Learnin View Post
    Just like Patsy was peeking through her splayed fingers....hmmmm.
    The cops in Ruthless People are impenetrably dense. That must have given Patsy hope.

I'm thinking Lawrence Schiller probably picked this movie because it was shown at the Whites that fatal night the 26th December, 1996. because the Ramseys were there and must have either watched some of it or heard the others talking about it(?). It's all assumption, I realize this!
    Just my opinion.

I'm thinking Lawrence Schiller probably picked this movie because it was shown at the Whites that fatal night the 26th December, 1996. because the Ramseys were there and must have either watched some of it or heard the others talking about it(?). It's all assumption, I realize this!
    Yeah. I don't think it's an either/or situation.

I'm not sure when the similarities between Ruthless People's ransom demand and the ransom note were noticed (or when they became public knowledge). Maybe this was something the police were aware of all along. Maybe it's something Donald Foster noticed. (It would be just like him.) And maybe Lou Smit divulged it.

According to jameson, Smit said the Ramseys didn't have "such movies [as Dirty Harry, Speed, Nick of Time and Ruthless People] in their home." (That's kind of a funny way to say it. Why not say they didn't have those movies in their home.)

But the note does show signs of being worked over to obscure similarities between RP and RN. Remember in high school when you wanted to use a line in a research paper, but you already had too many direct quotes? You had to rework lines that already seemed well-nigh perfect. So you get down to the business of changing verbs to their noun forms and vice versa. You change a word here and there. Change active to passive voice. Blend in lines from other sources. That sort of thing.

If Ruthless People really wasn't in the house, I'd say it went the way of the duct tape.

You sure are trying to find some answers fb.

Equal time for "Ruthless People" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhtj...eature=related
    Just my opinion.

You sure are trying to find some answers fb.

Equal time for "Ruthless People" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhtj...eature=related
    It didn't occur to me that the movie was on youtube. The ransom demand is in part 1 around 07:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjHuF...eature=related