Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fr brown View Post
    It didn't occur to me that the movie was on youtube. The ransom demand is in part 1 around 07:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjHuF...eature=related
    Yes, these youtubes are great! I haven't had the chance to get back here and check them all out. My husband would enjoy this one. He likes comedies. I like suspense!

I heard the phone call to Danny about "listen carefully" and put the money in a case etc. I can see what you mean about there being more similarities to the ransom note.
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle_1 View Post
    Yes, these youtubes are great! I haven't had the chance to get back here and check them all out. My husband would enjoy this one. He likes comedies. I like suspense!

I heard the phone call to Danny about "listen carefully" and put the money in a case etc. I can see what you mean about there being more similarities to the ransom note.
    And that's all you remember from it even though you were on the look-out for resemblances. The ransom demand just isn't that memorable (except maybe for the three instances of "if..., she will be killed.")

And that's all you remember from it even though you were on the look-out for resemblances. The ransom demand just isn't that memorable (except maybe for the three instances of "if..., she will be killed.")
    I plan to look at it again fb without rushing through it. I can still hear the guy calling Danny DeVito repeating many times "Do you understand?" more than I can remember anything else right now.

I can well imagine the panic Patsy Ramsey was in, desperate to create a ransom note from a foreign faction. I wonder just how long it took her to actually write this (?). Just to sit down and copy it would take some time too. Patsy was so desperate to make it believable and all the time she was actually hanging herself. What a terrible situation to be in with your six year old daughter dead from your own actions. It's a wonder she didn't commit suicide (?).
    Just my opinion.

In the Federal Witness Protection Program

I plan to look at it again fb without rushing through it. I can still hear the guy calling Danny DeVito repeating many times "Do you understand?" more than I can remember anything else right now.

I can well imagine the panic Patsy Ramsey was in, desperate to create a ransom note from a foreign faction. I wonder just how long it took her to actually write this (?). Just to sit down and copy it would take some time too. Patsy was so desperate to make it believable and all the time she was actually hanging herself. What a terrible situation to be in with your six year old daughter dead from your own actions. It's a wonder she didn't commit suicide (?).
    Patsy had stage 4 ovarian cancer. She knew she was going to die at some point. And I think she believed she'd be with JB again. But committing suicide, for Christian faiths at least, eliminates any chance for your soul to reach Heaven. Despite what Patsy may have done to JB, Patsy saw her actions as being the result of tremendous stress and rage, and as such, not subject to the kind of penalty (from God) as it would be for a killing in other circumstances, and if she was only covering up for someone (BR?) she would not have viewed that as punishable either. Or at least that is what she told herself.
    But committing suicide would keep her from JB forever, as it is viewed as an unforgivable sin against God.
    Personally, from my experiences with the afterlife, NO sin is "unforgivable" to a God with infinite capacity for mercy and love. BUT we have to forgive ourselves when we die- and that isn't always easy because we then see how our selfish actions have hurt our loved ones.
    This is my Constitutionally protected OPINION. Please do not copy or take it anywhere else.

I think Patsy was perfectly capable of believing Jesus saved her from ALL her sins, because that's what Christianity is based upon. So she easily justified in her mind what happened that night, IMO, as well as her further lies and behavior, and believed that Jesus forgave her/others and always would.

I saw this in the Ramsey's TV interview with the Christian Broadcast Network, when they said (approx.): What if we did commit this crime? Wouldn't we be the very people Christians should want to come to church?

So they'd already rationalized away their guilt and responsibility not only for the murder, but even TO ADMIT THE TRUTH and quit victimizing all the people having RST fingers pointed at them for being a child molester and murderer, IMO. That's the part that I find especially UNChristian of the Ramseys, BTW.

Remember how quick John was to jump on Thomas' statement about "forgiveness" in their LKL faceoff? Can't remember it exactly, but Thomas said the Bible states you have to ask for forgiveness or acknowledge your sins--something like that. John jumped right on that and said, NO, it doesn't say that in the Bible! Uh...methinks they'd thought about that A LOT.

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"
    FF: WRKJB?

~~~~~~~
    Bloomies underwear model:
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~
    My opinions, nothing more.

After I watched Ruthless People again I found myself peppering my kid with "Do you understand?" when I was annoyed with her.

I think it took Patsy a long time to come up with the final note.
    Last edited by fr brown; October 26, 2010, 5:03 pm at Tue Oct 26 17:03:48 UTC 2010.

After I watched Ruthless People again I found myself peppering my kid with "Do you understand?" when I was annoyed with her.

I think it took her a long time to come up with the final note.
    If by "a long time" you mean hours, maybe.

But here's something interesting: have you ever read JonBenet's Mother, the book put together by Patsy's lifelong friend, former teacher, and big time fan, Linda McLean?

In it, Patsy's friends and family are quoted at length praising her saint-like qualities as a person, a friend, sister, wife, mother, etc., ad nauseam. But here's the irony: they speak at length to how Patsy could and would throw together this and that event, party, aid, whatever, in no time, no problem. All her life, she was a leader and she took charge, according to her friends and family, and worked brilliantly under pressure. And they gave lots of examples, too.

I can't help but think they'd be editing some of that out now, knowing what they now know about this murder. The copyright is 1998. The RST case talking points are all there in the book, too, that early. Verbatim, it's the intruder argument Team Ramsey has been spinning to this day.

Interesting, isn't it?

"University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos declared the letter a 'reckless exoneration.' He went on to state, 'Everyone knows that relative immunity from criminal conviction is something money can buy.
    Apparently another thing it can buy is an apology for even being suspected of a crime you probably already would have been convicted of committing if you happened to be poor.'"
    FF: WRKJB?

~~~~~~~
    Bloomies underwear model:
    3 Dimensional

~~~~~~
    My opinions, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
    Patsy had stage 4 ovarian cancer. She knew she was going to die at some point. And I think she believed she'd be with JB again. But committing suicide, for Christian faiths at least, eliminates any chance for your soul to reach Heaven. Despite what Patsy may have done to JB, Patsy saw her actions as being the result of tremendous stress and rage, and as such, not subject to the kind of penalty (from God) as it would be for a killing in other circumstances, and if she was only covering up for someone (BR?) she would not have viewed that as punishable either. Or at least that is what she told herself.
    But committing suicide would keep her from JB forever, as it is viewed as an unforgivable sin against God.
    Personally, from my experiences with the afterlife, NO sin is "unforgivable" to a God with infinite capacity for mercy and love. BUT we have to forgive ourselves when we die- and that isn't always easy because we then see how our selfish actions have hurt our loved ones.
    I am glad we have corresponded DeeDee and you know where my thoughts are where religion is concerned, and still accepted me as a friend, knowing the full story as to how I arrived at this point in my life.
    I thank you for that. I am still very much intrigued about how you are in touch with the afterlife world. This side of things I enjoy hearing about, and I do respect all you have to say relating to it.

I do know about the suicide deal, but even at that, I still wondered how Patsy could still face everyone after what she had done; however, Patsy Ramsey was a very strong and determined woman and she pressed on with her plan to hoodwink the Boulder Police.
    Just my opinion.

I think it took her a long time to come up with the final note.
    Oh good grief fb, your young daughter must have wondered what was wrong with her nice Dad (?). "Do you understand!"
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by koldkase View Post

But here's something interesting: have you ever read JonBenet's Mother, the book put together by Patsy's lifelong friend, former teacher, and big time fan, Linda McLean?

In it, Patsy's friends and family are quoted at length praising her saint-like qualities as a person, a friend, sister, wife, mother, etc., ad nauseam. But here's the irony: they speak at length to how Patsy could and would throw together this and that event, party, aid, whatever, in no time, no problem. All her life, she was a leader and she took charge, according to her friends and family, and worked brilliantly under pressure. And they gave lots of examples, too.

I can't help but think they'd be editing some of that out now, knowing what they now know about this murder. The copyright is 1998. The RST case talking points are all there in the book, too, that early. Verbatim, it's the intruder argument Team Ramsey has been spinning to this day.

Interesting, isn't it?
    I've never read that book, but I'm not surprised that Patsy had those qualities.

I think it may have taken a couple of hours, maybe more, to get the ransom note just right. I'm going by the nine pages missing before the "practice" note and also my hypothesis that she was starting with something pretty close to the Ruthless People demand.

I tired out reading the following account of Patsy Ramsey's life, KK according to Steve Thomas "JonBenét" - Courtesy of Little.

Steve Thomas "JonBenét

Patsy had an uneventful childhood and developed a drive to succeed that was coupled with physical beauty and popularity. Her teachers at Emerson Elementary and Vandevender Junior High remembered her as a quiet, well-behaved student who made good grades. On the playground she was a leader, surrounded by friends. When she was thirteen she attended a Miss West Virginia contest and fell under the pageant spell, confiding to her sister Pam. "I want to do
    that someday." She was named a fraternity sweetheart and participated in her first pageant at a county fair, a tide that both she and Pam eventually won.

The third sister, Polly, chose not to follow them on the pageant run-
    ways. In her sophomore year in high school, Patsy was first runner-up
    for Miss Teen-Age West Virginia. As a kid she had liked to dance and
    play the flute, but in the talent competition she performed dramatic
    readings. Linda McLean, her drama coach at Parkersburg High, became
    her coach, while Patsy's father had her stand behind a kitchen chair as
    if it were a lectern and practice enunciating clearly so as to be heard by
    a room filled with people. The high school had competitions with other
    schools in public speaking and dramatic interpretation, and Patsy excelled.
    Her senior entry in the 1975 Parchisian took up more space than
    almost anyone else in her class of about seven hundred students.

PAUGH, PATSY-Elks leadership contest, Field House office assistant,
    Junior Orchesis, Junior West winner, Little Red Cheerleader,
    Masque and Gavel, Mummers, Pep Club, Red Wing Drill
    Team, Revue, Senior West winner, Sports Carnival, Student-Faculty

77 Forum, teenager of the month nominee, Thespians, Voice of
    Democracy School Winner, WE 0, National Forensics League,
    state drama festival winner.

I traced her from Parkersburg to journalism school at West Virginia
    University in the fall of 1975, where she joined Alpha Xi Delta. One
    sorority sister, Theresa Lucas, was also involved in the pageant world.
    Patsy continued gathering experience in the evening gown, interview,
    talent, and swimsuit categories and won more titles: second runner-up
    for Miss Morgantown, then first runner-up for Miss Wood County and
    Last Person Standing in an at-large competition. Theresa was named
    Miss West Virginia of 1976 and the following year relinquished her
    crown to her sorority sister, Patsy Paugh, who would represent her
    home state in the Miss America pageant.

Her talent performance for Miss West Virginia had been a moving
    soliloquy from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, but there was a problem in
    getting copyright clearance to use it on a national stage. Linda McLean
    told us that she and Patsy wrote an original three-minute speech, enti-
    ded Deadline, about censorship, and it won a nonfinalist talent award in
    Atantic City and a $2,000 scholarship.

The celebrity of being a Miss America contestant and winning the
    Miss West Virginia crown gave Patsy a Cinderella kind of year, and
    she grew more popular and confident, always appearing in public in
    coordinated outfits, heels, and with her hair perfectly done. She dated
    few boys, usually older and from the best families.

She graduated from the university in 1979 with a magna cum laude
    degree in journalism and a minor in advertising. Her father bought her
    a new car, and just as he had as a young: man, she drove away looking
    for a job. Atlanta, the big city, was calling, and together with her college
    friend Stephanie McCutcheon, Patsy headed to Georgia over the July
    Fourth weekend.

Writing came easily to Patsy Ramsey, and the ransom note was just another challenge for her, just like all the others she had mastered. She sure wasn't a wilting violet.
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by koldkase View Post
    I think Patsy may have run out of time when she was re-re-rewriting the note. There are still a couple of scratch-outs and a rather professional edit in it. My guess is that she was planning to do another rewrite, but it was 5:30 and she was out of time.