Lou Smit has died

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Just got word that Lou Smit died. He had stomach cancer and was in hospice for the past two weeks.

That's all I know.

God bless him.

Tricia

2. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

3. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Guys,

We can all agree I think that Lou's heart was in the right place. He was a kind man who thought he was doing the right thing for JonBenet.

No matter what agea person dies, no matter how sick, it hurts something awful.

To Lou's family I am so sorry.

4. Karen

Karen Member

Sorry to hear this sad news. I agree his heart was in the right place. They are all going one by one aren't they? Condolences to his family.

5. Tez

Tez Member

I just read about this this morning. He wanted justice for JonBenet, he just looked at the wrong suspects.

Since losing my MIL to cancer, I have a whole new appreciation of what cancer victims go through. RIP Lou, I hope JB tells you exactly what happened to her.

To Lou's family, my deepest sympathies.

6. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Rest in Peace, Lou.

Lou solved many cases and put away many bad guys. Now he can enjoy his eternal reward, and his reunion with his wife who was the love of his life.

7. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Obit

Lou Smit
    Detective who defended Ramseys dies in Colorado at 75
    The Associated Press

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — A detective who proclaimed the innocence of JonBenet Ramsey's parents after being hired to investigate the case has died. Lou Smit was 75.

He had cancer and died at Pikes Peak Hospice in Colorado Springs on Wednesday.

Smit worked for Colorado Springs police and other agencies and was credited with helping lock up more than 200 killers during his career.

After retiring, he was hired to join the troubled investigation into the death of 6-year-old JonBenet. He later resigned, insisting that an intruder had killed her and that John and Patsy Ramsey were innocent.

Smit helped solve other high-profile slayings in Colorado, including the 1975 rape and murder of Karen Elisa Grammer, the sister of actor Kelsey Grammer.

8. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Same here. My mom died from the same disease. So I'm willing to put feelings aside for a while, at least.

9. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Rest in peace, Lou. I hate seeing anybody die like that. I didn't agree with anything the guy had to say on this case, but I agree with Tricia that his heart was in the right place. My theory was always that he fell under Patsy's spell and the rest was history.

"Now that I am barely breathing
    I know all the answers
    Is it all part of a Great Design?
    Is this life we're living
    all part of a Great Design?"

10. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Rest in peace, Lou Smit.

11. Shadow

Shadow FFJ Senior Content Moderator

Agree with Tricia, BobC and others -- actually, my FBI contacts back in the late 90s said Lou was a good detective and man of intregrity but "his mind is closed on this one."

RIP Lou!!

12. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

No one deserves to die of stomach cancer, and I never wished Lou Smit any personal harm, but the truth is he and his delusional belief in Ramsey innocence destroyed any hope of successful prosecution of the case.

Lou was a part of Michael Tracey's crockumentaries that lied about suspects and dragged innocent people through the mud. One of those vile programs was just re-run on UK TV last month! Most of Tracey and Smit's "suspects" have never gotten their good names back and never will. How would you like to be one of them or their families?

Furthermore, it was because of Smit that Tracey and Lacy got involved with John Mark Karr. Smit is the one who fed them information because Lacy never bothered to read the Ramsey case files, and Tracey believed Smit's version of them even though it was totally inaccurate.

Lots of Ramsey case misinformation can be attributed to Lou Smit. There was no stun gun used, and it shows the level of Smit's knowledge and intelligence that he thought he could see a "blue line" on JonBenet's face where the stun gun had touched her. Stun guns don't leave blue lines on skin and certainly not on autopsy photos. As with everything about the Ramsey case, Lou Smit saw what he wanted to see because he wanted the Ramseys to be innocent. He threw away the impartiality that a good detective should have and went to work to exonerate the Ramseys no matter how many other innocent lives he had to destroy.

I can be sorry for Lou's family at their loss, but if I am honest, my first reaction was that it is a good thing Lou can now do no more damage to the Ramsey case or other innocent lives. Lou Smit is one of the main reasons the Ramseys got away with JonBenet's death and why there will be no justice for her in this life. I cannot mourn the passing of a man who purposefully obstructed justice, even if it was caused by blissful and misguided delusion. The end result, as far as the Ramsey case is concerned, is the same.

13. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

(Thanks, Moab.)

Springs detective Lou Smit, 75, prayed with, helped Ramseys

By Kirk Mitchell
    The Denver Post

Posted: 08/12/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Lou Smit, 75 John Ramsey recently prayed at the bedside of Lou Smit at a Colorado Springs hospice.

It reminded Smit of a prayer he shared with John and Patsy Ramsey years earlier on the eve of a grand jury meeting when it appeared likely Patsy would be charged with murdering her 6-year-old daughter, JonBenet, on Dec. 26, 1996.

[snip]

Though the retired Colorado Springs homicide detective put more than 200 killers behind bars in a career spanning more than 30 years, many people will remember him for the few suspects, including the Ramseys, that he helped keep out of prison.

And that is Lou Smit's legacy ... that he helped keep the Ramseys out of prison.

14. Elle

Elle Member

I too, agree with everyone here. Lou Smit was following his own heart in the Jonbenét case.

My condolences to his family. :rose:

15. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

Wonder what JB will say to him? She really isn't a child on the Other Side. I suppose they will understand the part each had to play in this crime (victim/sleuth). Patsy will be there, too, possibly more able to reach LS than she can her daughter. For that to happen, Patsy has to accept responsibility for whatever her part in this was, and JB has to forgive her.
    Well, at least now he knows the truth. Maybe he'll find a way to let someone know.

16. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

I think it is also possible that Lou Smit knew Patsy did it, and forgave her. I saw a case recently where a father came home after a night of drinking and opened the bathroom door really quickly, unknowingly knocking his daughter into the bathtub, killing her. He panicked, staged a crime scene, but was was eventually convicted--he actually confessed to the whole thing. Later, some female defense attorney took a page from the Ramsey playbook, demanded that the child's body be tested for DNA from the 'real killer"--and sure enough found some unexplained DNA. The father was released from prison and he and the defense attorney sued the city and got MILLIONS. Sound familiar?

17. rashomon

rashomon Member

Which case was that?

18. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Amen, Brother.

Condolences to jameson.

(I'm sorry, I am so bad.)

19. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

I didn't agree at all with Lou Smit's theories, but I too agree his heart was in the right place. Prayers to his family and friends.

20. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

I'm just sitting on my hands....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice