Joy Behar on JBR Case - 10/04/2010

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Sabrina, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

Coming up....

Schiller and Craig Silverman are on

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1010/04/joy.01.html

JOY BEHAR SHOW

JonBenet Murder Case Reopened; Triple Murder Trial; The Courageous Kelly McGillis

Aired October 4, 2010 - 21:00:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

JOY BEHAR, HOST: Courtney Love tweeted a new photo of herself this weekend. Can I just say, celebrities need to stop over-sharing. I only tweeted a naked photo of myself once, but that`s a private matter between me and Karl Rove.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Coming up on THE JOY BEHAR SHOW, cops reopen the 1996 JonBenet Ramsey murder case. Has new information led to a new round of interviews?

Then Courtney Love is the latest celeb to over-share on Twitter posting a near nude photo of herself. So do stars have a Twitter problem or are they just pre-empting the paparazzi?

Plus Kelly McGillis stops by for an interview since marrying her same- sex partner.

That and more starting right now.

BEHAR: Tonight, police in Boulder, Colorado continue to take a fresh look at the 1996 murder case of 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey. They`ve already begun new interviews with potential witnesses, and one of the people on the list is JonBenet`s now 23-year-old brother Burke.

With me to discuss what all this means are Larry Schiller, contributor to "The Daily Beast and author of "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town"; and Craig Silverman, a criminal defense attorney and former Denver chief deputy district attorney. That`s quite a mouthful. Ok.

Larry, why are the authorities reopening the case? Do they have some new information?

LARRY SCHILLER, CONTRIBUTOR, "THE DAILY BEAST": Well, you know, cold cases like this are looked at every two or three years, sometimes with fresh eyes. In 2009 there was an investigative committee, an advisory committee who looked through the case and made certain recommendations. Now the Boulder Police Department has gotten around to looking at those recommendations.

Burke is not the only witness they are looking at. You know, he was in the house. He was either asleep or awake at the time of this horrendous crime. But the short and long, there are many people they`re talking to. And you know, they`re looking at it with a little fresh look and maybe even new technology.

BEHAR: Craig, they`ve contacted the brother but why would the cops look to him for information now? He was 9 years old. Are they looking at him as a possible suspect?

SCHILLER: Number one, who says they`re looking at him for information? Maybe they`re looking at him to corroborate something. Maybe they`re looking at him to review something that he may have some knowledge of.

It doesn`t matter, you know, what they`re looking at him, he is only one of many people that are being looked at.

BEHAR: Craig, you agree with that? Craig?

CRAIG SILVERMAN, FORMER COLORADO PROSECUTOR: I do. And insofar as him being a suspect, Burke was only 9 years old. But remember his little sister was killed by a ligature, a fairly sophisticated garrote. Let`s remember the ransom note. I don`t think a 9-year-old could possibly be capable of that.

I think the police were right to long ago right exclude him as a suspect. But as Larry knows and he`s pointed out, he was in the house. Maybe he has some memories that will assist.

BEHAR: Yes. That`s true.

SCHILLER: And I think it`s more than that, too. You know, I think you have to understand that something may trigger his mind now which didn`t trigger it then because they didn`t have the evidence. Just because questions were unanswered then, that doesn`t mean somebody was withholding the answer.

BEHAR: That`s right. But in a way, I feel bad for the kid because they`re putting a spotlight on him. And it just kind of puts the spotlight back on the family. That`s rehashing this thing again.

SCHILLER: No, they`re not putting the spotlight on him. We are putting the spotlight on him; me by doing television and you by doing the broadcast.

BEHAR: Ok then.

SILVERMAN: Right. They did release the name. It`s interesting that they are starting to look at the JonBenet case. They have DNA evidence. That`s pretty good. And there`s a new prosecutor in town. Stan Garnet is a far cry from Alex Hunter (ph) and Mary Lacy (ph) . You remember Mary Lacy with that John Mark Carr fiasco.

Any prosecutor would regard solving the JonBenet Ramsey case as a tremendous achievement. In fact everybody in the world would like to see that case solved.

SCHILLER: And you know, this is a community that had virtually no crime in it, no bank robberies. This murder case came out of nowhere. The police were ill-equipped to handle it. It`s a shadow which lays over this community. They want to get out from underneath that shadow.

BEHAR: Yes. I mean the family was cleared as suspects in 2008 which was two years --

SILVERMAN: That was by Mary Lacy, though.

BEHAR: Yes.

SILVERMAN: That was by Mary Lacy who took the case away from the Boulder Police. Mark Beckner (ph) is still around. He`s the guy who talked about the Ramseys being under an umbrella of suspicion. When we had Stan Garnet on our radio show, the new prosecutor, he did not confirm Mary Lacy`s statement that the Ramseys were in the clear. He said no comment. Now, that was interesting to me.

SCHILLER: And you know the other point is police departments don`t make the final decision of who should be prosecuted and whether somebody is innocent or guilty. They just bring the evidence to a district attorney. They may feel very strongly that this is the perpetrator of a crime or this person is part of a conspiracy, or this person has knowledge, but the ultimate decision on whether to prosecute is with either a state`s attorney general or the district attorney of the city in which the crime took place.

(CROSSTALK)

SILVERMAN: It`s interesting, yes. I mean --

BEHAR: Go ahead.

SILVERMAN: Joy, if I may, in terms of the attorney general, the new Boulder DA is running for attorney general. It doesn`t look like he`s going to win. No surprise he`s a democrat from Boulder. Bad time to be a Democrat in Colorado.

But he is ambitious. And if there`s a way to solve this case, Stan Garnet, the new DA, he`ll look into every avenue.

BEHAR: I just feel as though this family was dragged around for a long time.

SCHILLER: Well, that was partly their own fault because they went and hired a PR representative. They were somewhat ill-advised by certain attorneys. The short and long is they took the wrong road at the time of the crime. That doesn`t mean they were guilty, but it did point the finger at them because of the way they dealt with the police department.

BEHAR: Yes. Why did they do that? Why did they get a PR firm right away? It did make them look guilty. It made them look like they had to cover something up.

SCHILLER: Well, you have to remember this --

(CROSSTALK)

SCHILLER: Yes, go ahead.

SILVERMAN: I was just going to say, looking guilty is one thing but actually facing a court trial is quite another. I think their lawyers did a good job. They were never charged with anything in a court of law. Certainly the court of public opinion, but that`s changed, too.

A lot of people are thinking the Ramseys might have been among the worst victimized people in the history of America. Not only suffering the loss of their daughter, but all the accusations and innuendo that went with it.

SCHILLER: And you know, they`re represented by Lynn Wood who is a fine attorney who represents people that are victimized by the media and by the police department. He has settled several major claims that the Ramseys have had against the media and individuals.

BEHAR: So do you guys -- before I leave, do you both think that the killer is still out there? What is your opinion, Larry, or Craig?

SCHILLER: Well, I mean the facts are the facts. And they are that somebody perpetrated this crime. Whether the person is alive or dead, we don`t know. Whether the police will solve it by accident, by pure luck or by technology that may, in essence, give them the final decision.

BEHAR: All right. All right. Thank you, Larry.

3. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you, Sabrina!

A lot of people are also thinking they are guilty! Good grief how long does it take for people to realize the staging was overdone, and this alone points the finger at them. Patsy never did anything in small doses. She had her own circus performing for her!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  4. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Excuse me--I need to visit the Vomitorium.

5. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

Hey Bob
    Look at the bright side, at least he set the record straight about the clearing stuff:

BEHAR: Yes. I mean the family was cleared as suspects in 2008 which was two years --

SILVERMAN: That was by Mary Lacy, though.

BEHAR: Yes.

SILVERMAN: That was by Mary Lacy who took the case away from the Boulder Police. Mark Beckner (ph) is still around. He`s the guy who talked about the Ramseys being under an umbrella of suspicion. When we had Stan Garnet on our radio show, the new prosecutor, he did not confirm Mary Lacy`s statement that the Ramseys were in the clear. He said no comment. Now, that was interesting to me.

6. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Hey, Sabrina. Good to see you posting. Thanks for bringing this here.

That's the problem with the talking heads in this case now; it's been so long ago, all they want is to make sure Lin Wood doesn't come after them while they try to remember whatever they can about the case.

Also, Silverman obviously is shilling for the very powerful attorneys who worked for the Ramseys in Colorado. I think we've learned by now the lawyers and judges of Colorado are one tight-knit, butt-kissing group. They don't oppose each other much, just make a lot of secret deals, a la Alex Hunter, whose long history of letting crooks and killers get off either scott free or near to it speaks for itself.

But I thought it was interesting that Silverman at least said that new D.A. Garnett essentially did NOT continue the former DA's "Ramseys are cleared" nonsense. Good for him.

I still want to know who leaked this about Burke to the press. The info could have been leaked as something like "BPD re-interviewing witnesses" or some such. But instead, Burke's name was the headline. Who did that? Why?

7. koldkase

When I see people talk or comment about the Ramsey case online responding to an article at a news site, or in relation to the pageants JB was in, or in books or blogs when they need a punchline for bad parenting, etc., they far more often relate that they suspect the Ramseys than that they don't.

These two guys are just spinning, that's all. How do they know what the general population thinks? Did they do a survey? Do they read online and keep up with this case otherwise monitoring the general public? No. They spin what their injustice gods have handed them: bullchit!

8. BobC

Lacey's clearing them may be "nonsense," but her actions will make any kind of successful prosecution almost impossible. I was never clear how a person can be cleared when they've never been charged.

Oh well prosecution or no prosecution, if these developments cause Ramsey to squirm a little, good.

9. Elle

Elle Member

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Elle_1 [​IMG]
    Thank you, Sabrina!

A lot of people are also thinking they are guilty! Good grief how long does it take for people to realize the staging was overdone, and this alone points the finger at them. Patsy never did anything in small doses. She had her own circus performing for her!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BULLCHIT EXACTLY! KK

10. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

I'm right there with you, Bob.

Joy Behar needs a good slap upside the head! She doesn't know squat about the case and her "poor Ramseys" drivel is infuriating. Same thing with Schiller. What an appropriate name. When SCHILLer said Lin Wood was a "fine attorney," I wanted to put my fist through the screen! It's obvious Schiller is in bed with the Ramseys and determined to proclaim their innocence all over the media. They MAKE ME SICK, the whole lot of them.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

11. BobC

Joy is an airhead.

12. koldkase

Oh, when Mary "No comment" Lacy suddenly released a statement to the press saying she agreed with Judge Carnes' "opinion" in a civil case against the Ramseys, wherein Carnes used a boatload of Intruder Smit's LIES AND ERRORS about the evidence to conjure that old "intruder," Lacy turned herself into defense witness #1 in any trial with a Ramsey as a defendant. If it hadn't been before, it was a done deal then.

BobC, how could any trial ever be held in this case, with all the bad blood between the BPD and BDA aired so publicly, with Lou Smit's propaganda march and Thomas's conflicting book, with Hunter and Smit's documented court battle over stolen property depicting the crime scene evidence, created by Smit while in the employ of the DA with case evidence, and Hunter's leaking to tabs used as blackmail?

It would takes years. YEARS. Just to hold a trial, there would be so much evidence to be fought over, so much discrediting of LE on the one hand, of Team Ramsey by the other.

And if the defendant was that elusive "intruder," some poor smuck wrangled in at long last by Team Ramsey, how quickly would reasonable doubt be established with one or two ransom note experts who would testify that Patsy wrote the note?

I can't see how anyone is ever going to trial in this case. A confession would be the only way for the answers to this murder to be revealed, as I see it. Maybe a deathbed confession? I doubt it, but I don't think I'm going to live long enough to see it, at any rate, unless it comes very soon.

13. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

When you are done I'm next.

A whole lot of rehash....at least I liked what Silverman said about Lacy's so called clearing of the Ramseys.

Thanks for the article Sabrina.

14. BobC

KK--I am with you 100% --I think a murder case isn't possible at this point. Smaller charges, maybe, but those will be a huge uphill battle.

All that being said, the BPD went to interview Burke so that means something is going on. Maybe this is, as Tricia has theorized, political posturing. Who knows? As long as Jackass JR feels like the Truth is breathing down his neck, I'm happy.

15. koldkase

I know, BobC. But I'm a bit worried about Burke. Believe it or not.... That's a lot of pressure to carry in such a young lifetime.

16. BobC

I know. But by all accounts Burke is doing fine--except for the fact he's exactly like his Dad. I wish he'd taken after Miss Patsy! If he had her mouth, this case would have been solved years ago!

17. koldkase

:floor:

18. Carol

Carol Member

I am disappointed in Silverman. I thought he believed the Ramseys were hiding something or involved somehow. I don't think Burke killed his sister, but why did this panel agree that a 9-year-old is incapable of murder? Not true. It could have been an accident and then there could have been a cover-up by the adults. I've been away from this board for a long time, so please forgive this next question, which I should know the answer to: Was JB sexually assaulted?

19. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

Yes. The coroner himself noted several indications of conditions in and around her vagina that conclude that there was sexual contact. These were vaginal bruising, abrasion, hyperemia/vascular congestion (inflammation) a partially rubbed-away hymen, cellulose shards (from the paintbrush?), small amounts of blood, and evidence of wiped-away blood on her thighs and pubic area. The coroner also noted verbally to certain LE who were present at the autopsy (Det. Arndt was one) that it seemed to him that she had been digitally penetrated.
    So I'd say the answer could ONLY be yes.

20. Carol

Carol Member

Thanks, DeeDee. Was there evidence that this sexual abuse had been an on-going thing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice