Umbrella of Suspicion: Investigating the death of JonBenet Ramsey

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by cynic, Sep 30, 2012.

1. cynic

cynic Member

Hey Elle, thanks! :hiya: I have been a bit busy but you haven’t driven me away.
    I’m not that easy to get rid of. :D
    (I currently have no graphic related projects on the go.)

2. Elle

Elle Member

Hi Cynic,:hiya: I'm so pleased to hear this from you. I was concerned because I had made some remarks about not having enough technical knowledge relating to the JonBenét case a few months ago and I didn't mean it personally to you or otg. Just wanted to straighten this out. I highly respect your work. also otg's.
    Thank you for reoplying!:)

3. Elle

Elle Member

I received an e-mail from the Canadian Amazon this morning, and as I browsed through the list of books I recognized one I had misplaced and cannot find, but look what I came across: A post of mine talking about "120 Clues That Show Who Killed JonBenét" s-o-o-o-o this means anything we write about the books on FFJ can be copied and posted on Amazon. I nearly fell off my chair. :). This was a few years back. I would need to check it. I have never sent reviews to anyone. Moab tagged the _1 against my ID to correct a flaw when I signed in.

Elle 1: . . . "Talking about books, I was ordering a mystery book from the Canadian Amazon and came across another JonBenét book. Has anyone heard of: 120 Clues That Show Who Killed JonBenét - written and compiled by Sam Dennis McDonough -Clue Master SDM. A retired Air Force Major. . . . I have zipped my way through part of it, skimmed and scanned through some of it, because it's so easy to read. He just concentrated on the facts. They are all clues we know and have read about through all our research. He has obviously weeded his way through the whole shebang. He makes it all look so simple. I hate him for that. It's the first JonBenét book one could read in a day. Maybe a few hours (?)."

http://www.amazon.ca/Clues-That-Sho...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350049163&sr=1-4

4. otg

otg Member

Elle, it looks like the author (Mcdonough) copied your post and something from "Paul B", and then posted it as a review at Amazon. I'm just sayin'.............

5. Elle

Elle Member

You think so? I really don't know, otg. It was such a surprise to see my ID in Amazon (?). I was a bit shook up!

Hope your wife is doing better today otg.

6. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

This author DID copy my handwriting analysis without permission and put it in his book to sell.

I have been notifed about it by different people several times, but I have hesitated to take action. Perhaps I should. I have a copyright notice on my analysis.

I don't mind people quoting my analysis when posting, but to make money off what I have done, especially without permission, doesn't seem right. The one consolation I have is that the author is RDI, so at least my analysis is being used to help convince people of the truth.

7. Elle

Elle Member

No, Cherokee, it doesn't seem right copying your analysis. This is a totally different story. Sam Dennis McDonough should have asked you for your permission. In my case, he has just chosen two small articles from a web site as a review. He still included the actual person's ID who wrote it. He should have mentioned Tricia's site - Forums For Justice.

I personally think you should contact him, Cherokee. This isn't right! I can understand short posts about an author's book being taken, but your analysis is a different story. I can't imagine the amount of time spent creating this excellent project. This should never have been copied and taken anywhere. I notice DeeDee has this stated at the end of her posts. "Not to be copied and taken anywhere." Something like that! Maybe you should visit your lawyer.

8. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you for spotting this. You are sharp! :)

I don't think Sam Dennis McDonough should have copied Cherokee's Analysis.
    He should have contacted her and talked about it.

9. Cherokee

Thank you, Elle, for your comments and support.

I don't know if McDonough copied all of my analysis, but the fact he copied any of it without my permission, and then put it in a book for which he is charging, bothers me and is not ethical (or legal).

I was hoping McDonough would do the right thing and either take down his online book for sale or remove the part that is mine by copyright, but he has not done so. Perhaps you are right that it is time to take action and let him know, specifically, I would like for my analysis to be removed from his book. I do not mind him referring to my work published here at FFJ, but it should not have been copied, in part or wholesale, into his book - especially without contacting me first.

10. otg

otg Member

Cherokee and Elle,

I agree with both of you. I didn't know he had actually copied your work, Cherokee. That's not just sleazy, that's plagiarism -- and if he profits from it in any way -- theft.

Obviously he reads here, so I should state for the record:

:nono:
    Anything posted by me is my opinion based on public information and personal investigation. Permission is not granted to anyone (especially any current or future authors) to copy, reproduce, or print anything I write in full, or in part, without specific written authorization.

Just sayin'..............

:flipper:

11. Elle

Elle Member

I haven't checked your post otg, but I hope you entered this information on all your work. I hope cynic has done the same with his graphics. I also hope Cherokee can get in touch with Mr. McDonough without any problems stemming from this.

12. Elle

Elle Member

This should have been discussed with you personally, Cherokee, before Sam McDonough entered part of your analysis in his book. Depending on Mr. McDonough's character, I hope he will be understanding about this matter. I wish you all the best with this, Cherokee. Somehow, I have a feeling he will be approachable!

13. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Oh Cherokee, I had no idea that YOUR work had been copied into McDonough's book. He needs to be made to make that right in which ever way is best for you. I have no idea how I can help you but I stand ready to do what I can that will make it right for you. I don't care one iota for him.

14. Cherokee

Thanks so much, Zoomama, for your support. What you said made me smile. You are a true friend. :hug:

15. Learnin

Learnin Member

Karen, I just finished reading Taylor's book and I agree that it is well done.
    I don't know that I agree with everything he suggests but I'd like to discuss his conclusion that John was ignorant of what was going on first thing in the morning. Taylor suggests that Patsy covered for someone and John was unaware of what had happened that morning. Taylor suggests that John would not have told police that everything was locked up that night had he been involved from the git go; John would not have said: "This is an inside job." However, Taylor does state that John began to mislead shortly after the body was found implying that he must've become aware at some point.

I have varied my opinion as to just when John became involved with this coverup. At times, I believe he was in on it from the git go; other times I wonder if he didn't just gradually figure it out for himself....and then really became worried after discovering the body around 10 am.

Thoughts?

16. Jeeps

Jeeps Member

Hi everyone - I'm writing an analysis of the forensic evidence for a course I'm taking at Rutgers University - Special Topics in Forensics. I've got nearly all of the core books on the case and I've been sifting through them for months to try and represent all of the forensic evidence found throughout the case (daunting, I know).

I was wondering how the author addressed the forensics in this case - should I purchase the book in this regard? The research paper is due December 17th so I've got to make a decision soon. I was just curious if any of you who have the book would recommend me to purchase it with this in mind.

Cheers

(I know this is my first post here, but I've been a member over at websleuths for about a year now, and a lurker on both sites for many years. Tricia just created an account over here for me to join in on the discussion)

17. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Hiya Jeeps - welcome to the forum - yes you should get the book!

Let's get you started off on the right foot here - Tricia doesn't do a lick of work around here...:floor: she is the order barker, just sayin'. If you need anything done (like setting you up as a member or problems with the forum), please come to me or to Cherokee. Okay, you have completed your hazing now.
    :aprop:

18. Elle

Elle Member

Hello Jeeps,

Nice of you to come here for a change of place from WS.
    I know you're probably looking for more information on forensics,
    but you can enjoy the passages which Koldkase posted. I do have the book, and my reading of it was interrupted, but I found reading the pages KK posted very interesting. I'm sure you will enjoy reading them until you have your own book.

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10129&highlight=Foreign+FactionIn-Depth

Discussion of Kolar's Book "Foreign Faction: Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?"

19. cynic

cynic Member

Hey Jeeps, welcome.
    I hope you will share highlights from your research paper with us.
    Regarding Taylor’s book, I’m afraid I’ve been procrastinating about purchasing it so I’m unable to comment.

20. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

Welcome. Forensics is such a fascinating topic. I am sure you will enjoy your courses. If you have anything interesting to share with us, please do!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice