Why John lied about breaking the window

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Learnin, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Learnin

Learnin Member

For the first point, I would say, if John was wanting investigators to suspicion the window as point of entry, he would want them to make that connection without him (John) suggesting it. He throws the ball out there and he wants Fleet and the detectives to run with it.

The investigators never mentioned the broken window that morning, and since John would not consent to interviews where investigators could quiz him about the window, Lou Smit took care of it for him by coming up with the intruder theory. Lou Smit took John's ball and ran with it, IMO. After Lou ran with it, then, John scored.

But, let's consider your first question because it is a good one. Why didn't John tell investigators, that morning, about the broken basement window? Why didn't he Arndt about it when he found it open an inch when down there around 10 in the morning? He knew investigators were looking for a point of entry. I think this shows, once again, that John wanted investigators to make the connection and not draw suspicion on himself by suggesting it. He wouldn't even mention the broken window to Fleet!

Now. Why did John tell Arndt that it was an inside job and remark that "he
    didn't want to kill her"?

Maybe two reasons:

1. Maybe they were trying to pin the kidnapping on a family acquaintance

and:

2. If their staging attempt failed, then, he had to soften the blow for the actual perp..if the actual perp was fingered by LE.

Nothing fits perfectly in this mystery, that's for sure.

I'm still wondering, at what point, John became involved in the coverup. Was it from the git go or after 10 o'clock when he made his jaunt through the basement?

2. Karen

Karen Member

I agree about Lou Smit. I think Johns story started to jell with Lou Smits "help." That could be a reason why he said what he said that day when he found her. He hadn't yet figured out everything about this window story. And that's why it all sounds so ridiculous trying to explain about that chair. He had committed to a story and then had to try and explain that dang chair. He probably didn't expect that to come up so he didn't have an answer for it and thinking on the fly he ended up with an unbelievably silly comment about the chair.

3. Learnin

Learnin Member

Good point. I was re-reading Kolar's book tonight where he gives John's chronological statements. At one point, I think it was the April 1997 interviews, or the 1998 DA's interviews, John tells questioners that he believes he might have mentioned the broken window to Arndt??? He, also, stated in later statements (was it DOI) that he was concerned about that suitcase when he made his first trip to the basement.....IT WAS OUT OF PLACE. Now, in a basement that messy, and in a basement that John admittedly hardly visited, how would he know what was out of place???

These people are as slippery as a greased pig.

4. heymom

heymom Member

I think the whole thing about the undisturbed spider webs and dirt is to show that no one could have gone through that window that night without breaking ALL of the webs AND causing a lot of dirt and leaves to shower down into the room below. Thus completely discrediting Lou Smit's fictional intruder.

5. heymom

heymom Member

I grew up in Denver. We *always* had a window cracked open for sleeping, even in winter. Probably especially in winter. There's something about sleeping with fresh air coming in...Wish I could still do it, but it doesn't work in all climates! Only the ones with a significant cool-down at night!

It would not have been unusual for any neighbor to have a window or two slightly open that night.

6. Elle

Elle Member

Here in Canada, heymom, the winters are freezing cold, but we do open the bathroom window off the bedroom about an inch, so it's not coming right in and freezing us. Of all places my husband had to pick Canada to emigrate to. [​IMG] He had an engineering job waiting for him here. I almost chickened out, but that's another story![​IMG]

Maybe Mrs. Stanton had her window open a tad. I don't think Colorado would be as cold as Canada.

About the dust on the cobwebs Britt was talking about. I'm keeping my eye on a cobweb which is on a bush just close to one of the windows down here. I want to see how long it takes for the dust to cover it. We have a lot of trees and I'm tired of cleaning my picnic table. I took a photo of it a few days ago, and I'll wait until it's covered in dust and take another one.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2012
  7. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

Mrs. Stanton did say she always slept with her bedroom window open, and it had been open that night. I don't recall if she said how much it was open, but I doubt it was all the way. I imagine it was a few inches.

8. Elle

Elle Member

I guess this was how she heard it DeeDee. I wonder if her house was right next to the Ramseys (?).

Please feel free to correct my spelling mistakes. Should have read engineering job in my post. :(

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

Her house was diagonally across the street. Many people mistakenly believe the lots were large and there was lots of space between houses, but that is not true. The homes were fairly close together, despite the size of the homes, and the street was not a wide street at all. Police were very able to hear a scream coming from inside the R basement from across the street.

10. Elle

Elle Member

The last photos I saw of the Ramsey house were posted by Bob Cooksie. I'll need to look at those again. I remember him posting how he was surprised at how small the house was. He thought it was a much larger house. I too had the impression it was a very large house from reading about it,

11. Elle

Elle Member

Where have all the wonderful men gone with their graphics?
    I miss seeing them[​IMG]

12. rashomon

rashomon Member

Learnin -
    Imo your assessment would explain John's odd behavior re the window -
    he wanted the investigators to make the connection "entry point for an intruder", but didn't want to suggest it to them himself because they might think of him as having staged it.

Maybe he also wavered back and forth whether this broken window as alleged entry/exit point for the 'Foreign Faction' would be plausible at all and was undecided what to do.

13. Elle

Elle Member

John Ramsey was a shrewd crafty businessman who started his business in a garage and ended up as a CEO. He knew the twists and turns to take to save his own skin. He knew how to play the right cards.

14. rashomon

rashomon Member

Imo John had already become involved in the coverup before the police arrived. It struck officers as odd that, while John "even smiled and joked" (!) [/I] (ST's book, p. 24), he not once went over to his distraught wife to comfort her.
    "Police considered the physical distance between John and Patsy Ramsey to be remarkable under the stressful condition."

This leads me to believe that John already knew what had happened, and that Patsy was involved.
    Then there is the shirt fiber evidence which links John to the crime scene.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  15. Elle

Elle Member

I think it's possible John Ramsey may have been brought into this tragedy after it happened. He had no alternative if this was the case, to support his wife or his son, one way or the other if either one was to blame(?).

I have trouble with this ransom note, Learnin! I can't see John Ramsey condoning this lengthy War and Peace ransom note, but time may have been against them if Patsy had been up for half the night. John Ramsey had to step in and help with the carrying of JonBenét's body.

The fact they were not sitting together later makes me suspicious. It sure is a twister!

16. Thor

Thor Active Member

I agree 100%. I have no doubt John and Patsy were involved in the coverup from the get go. No question, IMO.

17. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

Me too. Both parents were involved in the coverup, and while I believe completely that Patsy physically wrote the note, I believe JR helped to author it.

18. Learnin

Learnin Member

When I first pulled up in front of the house, Elle, I couldn't believe how close the house was to the street and how close the houses were together. Just looking at the house, from the front, it doesn't look that big, but, walk around the side and see it from the back and it looks as if a lot of additions were made. So, while looking small from the front, it actually goes a long way back in the lot.

19. Learnin

Learnin Member

I think that's a good point. And here's what has always really struck me.
    If the Ramseys were, actually, innocent and thought a kidnapper had taken their daughter; and with Patsy being so hysterical; I would have thought her husband would put his arms around her and reassure her that: "We're going to get her back...we'll do what they want and they assured us that she'll be unharmed." How could a husband sit in another room while his wife is hysterical and not comfort her with such words if they both really thought she had only been kidnapped?

20. Learnin

Learnin Member

Yea, I agree Elle. At times, I think John surely would not have allowed such a lengthy note to be concocted but, every theory has it's difficulties.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice