Son of former Boulder DA, Alex Hunter, dies of apparent overdose

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Cherokee, May 6, 2010.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

"Fairman also said witnesses say Hunter-Hauck obtained the prescription drug oxycodone from his parents' house in Boulder earlier in the day on May 2 before returning to Fort Collins to party with friends."

I'm surprised that AH is still in Boulder...this sad news is the first I've heard anything about Alex in eons. Does anyone know if this is the last report issued?

2. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

This is the standard news item I found about the latest reported autopsy results. As far as I could tell, people in Boulder and its media were very guarded with their reports and responses. But I've not spent much time actually looking, just wondered if they'd ever determined COD and this was the best I could find.

I understand the reservations. Whatever I think about Hunter, in the end, it's just sad a young man died this way.

3. RiverRat

Absolutely, KoldKase. Thanks for the update on this tragedy...

4. RiverRat

"John Hunter-Hauck was born to Alex Hunter and his wife, Margie Hauck, on June 20, 1989."

http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_15043456?source=most_viewed#axzz10qeJIYEz

5. koldkase

You know, you've jarred my memory of something I heard/read Hunter say some years ago, explaining why he'd left office at the end of his term after the JB murder. He said he had a child approx. JB's age and he wanted to have more time to be with him, as the work load had been extreme during the murder investigation, etc. I think that's about what he said. I remember it because at the time, hearing his son was near JB's age made an impression on me, for obvious reasons.

I wonder if this was the son Hunter meant, because JB would be 20 now.

6. koldkase

I didn't post any updates on this story here because ...it seemed...enough.

But we're discussing on another thread Hunter's own history of a lack of sensitivity or ethical responsibility as a prosecutor, towards murder victims and their families while aiding suspects in avoiding murder charges, was zero to none, when it came to vigorously seeking justice for them, at any rate. So I want to document the outcome of his own son's death for that discussion, as Hunter's pattern of closing his eyes to the truth he doesn't want to face, while thumbing his nose at the law he once represented, seems evident here, as well.

Apparently, Hunter wants us to believe he never read the police report on his son's drug overdose. The drug in question was oxycontin, which it has been said was taken from Hunter's own medicine cabinet by his son.

Some of these articles are no longer fully available without paying for them, but I've scavenged what's important.

Here the toxicology report was published for John Hunter-Hauck:

http://www.medicinalcolorado.org/node/3118

Gossip has it that the police report states John Hunter-Hauck went to his father's house for dinner the night before his death with a friend. The friend allegedly told the police that John took an unknown number of the oxycontin pills from his father's medicine cabinet and began consuming them on the way back to Ft. Collins. The next morning, John was found dead at the home of his friend in Ft. Collins.

But this is not the end of the story. Continued in the next post....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
  7. koldkase

One would think that Hunter might actually want to know the truth about how his son died from an overdose of a prescription drug not prescribed for John himself. If the gossip about the police report is true, the answer is right there. Gosh, a DA for 28 years and he doesn't even bother to read the police report of his son's death from drug overdose?

Hunter has/had prostate cancer, allegedly, so that could have been why he had the pain killer--I have no personal knowledge of any of this, though.

Here we have Hunter, a year later, talking about how he'll never know...if his son got those pills from Hunter's own cabinet:

[There is a video interview at this link, as well as the following article. These videos do get taken down after a period of time, so watch it now if you want to see it. Articles also eventually disappear, so for that reason, I'm posting this.]

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=195998

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
  8. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

So sad! My sympathy to the family.

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

I would say it seemed like someone put the pillow over his face because he was snoring loudly, as they said. No one wanted to admit they were the ones who put the pillow there but a snoring person is ASLEEP. They won't put a pillow over their own face because they do not know they are snoring.
    A person's respiration may be slowed by narcotics like that, and the pillow may have smothered him in that state, whereas it wouldn't have had he not been under the influence. The drug/alcohol combo may have been enough to kill him anyway, and the pillow may not have been a factor in the death. But either way, I'd bet someone covered him to muffle the snoring and was too afraid to come forward.

10. koldkase

Hunter told LE he didn't want any investigation, according to news articles. Since his son was using a controlled substance, oxycontin, without a prescription, my guess is that Hunter doesn't want any further scrutiny on the events that took place leading up to his son's death.

Oxycontin is the equivalent of medical heroin, by the way. Serious stuff.

Another article with info:
    http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=139244

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  11. koldkase

I found one article I had saved on this, which I'm posting here as it's no longer online that I can find. It confirms some of the info posted already.

12. cynic

cynic Member

But Mother, They Were In Your Medicine Cabinet
    By Steve Hayes, Director

TEEN PRESCRIPTION DRUG ABUSE

According to the Partnership for a Drug-Free America:

• 1 in 5 teens has abused a prescription pain medication

• 1 in 5 teens report abusing prescription stimulants and tranquilizers

• 1 in 10 teens have abused cough medication

According to the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy:

• Though overall teen drug use is down nationwide, more teens abuse prescription drugs than any other illicit drug except marijuana - more than cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamine combined.

• Every day, 2,500 kids aged 12-17 abuse a prescription painkiller for the first time and more people are getting addicted to prescription drugs.

• Drug treatment admissions for prescription painkillers increased more than 300 percent from 1995 to 2005.

• Teens are abusing prescription drugs because many believe the myth that these drugs provide a "safe" high.

• Especially troubling is that the majority of teens who abuse prescription drugs say they are easy to get and are often free.

PHARM PARTIES

At Novus some of our patients are young people who tell us about parties that kids as young as 11 attend. Instead of bringing a present, each child is to bring some prescription drugs that they got from their parents' medicine cabinet. When they arrive at the party, they go into a room and pour the drugs into a punch bowl. Then the kids will take turns reaching into the bowl and taking a handful of pills. Sometimes the kids combine this with alcohol--an often lethal combination. When confronted by astounded parents, their children often remark that it is ok because these are not illegal drugs-- they were purchased at a pharmacy and, after all, they were in their parents' medicine cabinet. A 15-year-old was quoted as saying that she saw the drug advertised on television and if it were dangerous it wouldn't be on television.

SOME DON'T GET A SECOND CHANCE

It is not pleasant, but if you spend a few minutes on the internet you will see not statistics but real stories of prescription drug overdoses and deaths of teens. In many of these instances, the fatal drug overdose did not come after long periods of prescription drug use. The fatal overdoses came the first time they took the prescription drugs. Maybe it was their individual DNA. Maybe it was the way that the drug was metabolized. Maybe it was another substance that they had taken, like alcohol or another prescription drug. The only thing for sure is that some young people have overdosed and died after their first use.

One 18 year old died after taking 40 milligrams of Oxycontin while drinking a beer. A 16 year old died after taking 80 milligrams of OxyContin that she was given by a "friend." Some of the other deceased children's parents said that they didn't believe in taking any type of drugs, but that didn't stop their children from yielding to peer pressure and "trying" the drug.

MOST ABUSED DRUGS

Painkillers (OxyContin and its generic form oxycodone, Lortab, Vicodin, Percodan, Percocet and the Fentanyl Patch) are the most common pharmaceuticals abused by teens, especially by younger teens. Stimulants (Ritalin, Adderall) abuse is more common among older teens and college students than younger teens. Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Valium, Klonopin) are abused by teens of all ages.

Oxies, OC, hillbilly heroin, oxycotton, 80s, percs, vikes, and vikings are commonly used terms to refer to painkillers.

The danger to teens from all of these prescription drugs is greatly increased when they are combined with each other or with alcohol.

No caring parent would leave heroin, cocaine or other dangerous street drugs on their nightstand or in the medicine cabinet or just dump it in the garbage. However, many parents do exactly this with legal heroin, legal cocaine: antidepressants and benzodiazepines.

BANKRUPTCY AND POSSIBLE PRISON FOR NEGLIGENT PARENTS

In our society where it seems that every bad thing must be blamed on someone else and that someone else should pay, there is real financial and legal liability if these dangerous drugs are taken by teens.

Most of us are aware that if a child obtains a loaded gun from our house and someone is harmed, we can have both civil and criminal liability for not having properly locked up the weapon. We have read of people being sued and losing their homes and most of their assets because of the use of the unsecured weapon. We have also seen people who have actually been prosecuted for their negligence of leaving a loaded gun around and were sent to prison.

Prescription drugs are highly regulated. They can only be obtained if a doctor writes a prescription. They carry many serious warnings. Every day there are more stories about prescription drug abuse, the dangers of prescription drugs and the deaths caused by prescription drugs.

If your son or daughter were to give another child these prescription drugs and they were to overdose and die, it is highly likely that a civil suit against you for negligence will result in your having to pay damages.

There is also a chance that you could face criminal prosecution for your leaving dangerous drugs around that could lead to the death of another.

CREATING CRIMINALS

Maybe your child is an entrepreneur and does not take the prescription drugs that he or she gets from your medicine cabinet or bedside table but instead sells them to others. Possession of controlled substances with intent to sell is a crime. The painkillers are mostly Schedule II drugs. Ritalin and Adderall are Schedule II drugs. Most benzodiazepines are Schedule IV drugs.

According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's report "Crime in the United States", there were 143,639 juveniles arrested by state and local law enforcement agencies for drug abuse violations during 2006, representing 10.4% of the drug arrests in which the offender's age was reported.

If your child is caught in possession of any amount of painkillers or stimulants here are the federal guidelines:

•First Offense: Not more than 20 years. If death or serious injury, not less than 20 years, or more than life. Fine $1 million.
    •Second Offense: Not more than 30 years. If death or serious injury, not less than life. Fine $2 million.
    If your child is caught with benzodiazepines, here are the federal guidelines:

•First Offense: Not more than 3 years. Fine not more than $250,000.
    •Second Offense: Not more than 6 years. Fine not more than $500,000.

Obviously, if your child is treated as a minor the guidelines can be different, but it is still drug trafficking. By leaving prescription drugs around and by not educating our kids about the dangers of prescription drugs, they risk not only serious injury or death but also prison.

http://www.novusdetox.com/newsletter_new/3-6-08.php

13. koldkase

Brilliant. So this time, Hunter was covering his own azz.

Problem is, according to witness testimony already given to the police, crimes were committed.

So it's just another example of LE in Colorado deciding since those who committed crimes were such nice and/or wealthy people, no need to enforce the law.

And again, Alex Hunter has proven that our justice system is corrupt and certainly has no intention of being blind to class, money, and power.

Therefore it's broken. We have no justice system in this country which is practiced blindly, with equality, under the law, but a selective facist operation which chooses who will end up being charged with crimes based on who they are and who they know, not the laws they broke.

14. cynic

cynic Member

This was showcased beautifully in the Skakel/Moxley case and repeated here in the JonBenet case. The only optimistic note is that there was justice for Martha Moxley after it appeared there would be none.

15. koldkase

And that was a dang miracle. But for his cousin's trial for rape, Skakel would still be bragging at parties about murdering Martha Moxley.

God bless Dominick Dunne, wherever he is. :angel:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice