Pilar Rodriguez Breaking News. FFJ's RiverRat is at the Scene

Discussion in 'Crimes, Trials & Missing Persons' started by Tricia, Nov 3, 2009.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

The Rat is fine, JC! On her little mouse toes ready to jump at any second when the news resumes on Sweet Pilar! Any minute now... ;)

2. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

K, RR, that's good news!

3. RiverRat

Arrest is Made!!!

http://www.sunnewspapers.net/articles/llnews.aspx?articleID=17345&bnpg=0

No Name has been released locally here yet, but within hours, Pilar's Justice will begin! :)

"Charlotte County Sheriff Bill Cameron announced Monday night that an arrest had been made in the 1999 disappearance and homicide of 4-year-old Pilar Rodriguez. More information will be announced at a press conference at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Sheriff’s Office on Airport Road.

Pilar Rodriguez has been missing shortly after she left her father’s home in Hollywood, Fla., on Jan. 31, 1999, with Melissa Cooper, also from Hollywood. Officials said at the time that Cooper brought the child to the Trail Apartments in south Punta Gorda for a two-week stay. Another man allegedly stayed in the room with them."

4. RiverRat

The Babysitter Melissa...

http://www.abc-7.com/Global/story.asp?S=13035582

"PORT CHARLOTTE: The babysitter of a four-year-old girl who vanished during a trip to Punta Gorda 11 years ago is now charged with the girl's death.

Melissa Harding-Jones, formerly Melissa Cooper, was booked into the Snohomish County Jail just before 7 p.m. Monday night on charges of Aggravated Manslaughter of a Child out of Charlotte County."

More info at link and as I receive! This is NO Surprise to me...not one sad bit.

5. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

This is great news, RR. Keep us informed. Please.

6. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Thanks Mouse...good to know justice will prevail for Pilar. i knew it had been a long time but I didn't realize it had been 11 years already.

7. RiverRat

‎"The 33-year-old mother of two is accused of causing Pilar's death by failing to provide her with medical care or protect her from abuse, according to Jones' arrest warrant."

http://www.sunnewspapers.net/articl...62076&a...=newsarchive2/082610/ch1.htm&pnpg=0

Thank You, WY & Moab...after that many years, feels like I am in a little state of shock that Pilar's Turn is starting to take place. I've been having a hard time handling some major issues in Yana's case and now the emotions of accepting the fact that Pilar officially is Not on the Missing Children list anymore. Maybe because of my knowledge from Boulder on how corrupt all official offices and attorneys and am picking up on simularities, the ONLY agency that I have 100% Trust in is the Cold Case Unit that was responsible for bringing this arrest about...and that's a sad feeling. I so hope that this Unit will not be the one to bring Justice to Yana...in frustration, I have no other choice but to share this personal feeling that I have about the happenings in my own back yard :(

Rest In Peace, Pilar...

RR~8-26-2010

8. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

River Rat,

Your mail box is full! Just saying. Wanted to send greetings and stuff but can't get in.

9. RiverRat

I made some space after BEEing made aware of that, Zoom!

Well, Last I heard Melissa was on her way back to Florida were it must be Lovely inside of a Jail Cell this time of year...nice & WARM and ahhhh the aroma...the Cross-Country distance between her and her own children. Since her charge is basically for one that stood by and allowed SOMEONE ELSE to beat Pilar to death...my hopes are that Melissa will now give the Awesome Cold Case Unit the location of where Pilar was buried deep.

I HATE this Town. :)

Love U Peeps-
    RR

10. RiverRat

The Turkey has Landed

Sitting right down the road from me...Melissa Cooper Jones has made it to Charlotte County where she hopefully will start singing like a bird!

Attached Files:

11. RiverRat

Media Links

http://www.news-press.com/article/2...d-in-Pilar-Rodriguez-s-death-appears-in-court

"Melissa Harding Jones, 32, the woman charged this week in connection with the 1999 death of 4-year-old Pilar Rodriguez in Charlotte County was returned from Washington state and appeared in court this morning.

Detectives also investigated Keith Wilson, Jones' boyfriend at the time, as a suspect and still consider him such. Wilson, who lives in Kentucky, hasn't been charged."

http://www.sunnewspapers.net/articles/llnews.aspx?articleID=17393&bnpg=0

In January 1999, the then-22-year-old suspect, who was known as Melissa Cooper at that time, took the child from her home in Hollywood, Fla., to Punta Gorda to visit Harding-Jones’ boyfriend, then-28-year-old Keith Wilson, according to sheriff’s reports.

She later told detectives she saw Wilson strike the child so hard she fell backward into a wall, causing a “soft spot†on the back of her skull, according to a 1999 wrongful death lawsuit filed by Pilar’s father, Marco Rodriguez. The child languished for some 48 hours before she died, according to the suit.

Harding-Jones also has told detectives she saw Wilson put the child’s body in a black plastic bag and leave to dispose of it, the suit states."

12. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Ratty,

I understand that little Pilar's body hasn't been found yet but why on earth hasn't the boy friend been brought in too. I know it sounds like he said she said at this point but I suspect that both are guilty and may continue to point fingers at each other....bring them both in and fry 'em. Heh!

13. RiverRat

Just Stay Tuned ;)

One is in custody...for now.

14. RiverRat

8/31/10 Update

http://www.sunnewspapers.net/articles/tsnews.aspx?ArticleID=462339&pubdate=8/31/2010

The arrest affidavit for a Washington state woman charged in the death of a 4-year-old Florida girl more than a decade ago apparently contains a confession of some sort from the suspect herself.

The document, however, has been sealed, and officials are refusing to release details of any recent statements 33-year-old Melissa Ann Harding-Jones may have made in the case.

Officials cite the ongoing, or "active," investigation in sealing related documents in the case. Dommerich ordered the affidavit be sealed for90 days.

Harding-Jones made a first appearance on the charge over the weekend, where she was denied bond. She has hired defense attorney Robert Barrar to represent her. The Miami-based attorney said one of his first orders of business is seeking bond for his client.

"The arrest warrant alleges (aggravated manslaughter) which is a bondable offense. Why they have a no bond, I don't have any answer, but I believe she's entitled to a bond," he said. A bond hearing has been tentatively set for Sept. 14.

The arrest warrant itself speaks volumes, he suggested.

"If it's a failure to protect, then obviously (the state claims) somebody else did the criminal act to this child," he said. "And, I don't think there's any secret who the police think that is."

Harding-Jones' arraignment is set for Oct. 18.

15. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Thanks RR for the update.

16. RiverRat

17. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

RR, How much was her bail? And who was the pit bull that drove that car?

18. RiverRat

Only $75,000 and Her Mother...

19. RiverRat

And so it begins...

http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florida/2010-09-29/A-twist-in-Pilar-Rodriguez-Disappearance

CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. - Melissa Harding Jones' lawyer says there are two hang-ups in the state's case. He filed a new motion to a Charlotte County judge asking that his client's case be thrown away.If the judge sides with him, Jones would no longer be a suspect.

Robert Barrar argues prosecutors waited too long to file charges. He tells WINK the state of Florida has a 4 year statute of limitations for first degree felonies. Her case happened in 1999, and he says charges should have been filed by 2003.

The lawyer is also arguing because there's no body, the state cannot use Jones' statements against her without that evidence. A judge will make a decision in December. "

The video has more details...like the fact that even though Pilar's body was never found - she does have a Death Certificate.

20. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Ratty,

Besides murder in the 1st degree what other things are considered 1st degree felonies? Is she charged with murder or not? And finally does Florida have a limitation on dates filing for murder?

This case is so hinkey or is it? There is a death certificate and no body so far. that is OK in most states. They can get a conviction without a body as you very well know. Do they? Oh my. I can see why you are so upset over this case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice