A DNA expert will be available to answer your questions!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by cynic, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Tez

Tez Member

You are most welcome Chero!!!!!:tsmile:

2. heymom

heymom Member

Oh my gosh, that is ridiculous!! The Royals in England have nothing to do with us ordinary citizens over here in the USA!! Princess Diana really WAS a Princess and very loved by her own people as well as many around the world. How DARE Patsy claim that JonBenet was also a princess like Diana! JonBenet was a cute little girl, ordinary in every way, except that someone in her family murdered her and the others helped cover it up. The press seized upon her pageant history and made it into a much bigger deal than it ever was. I'm not saying Patsy wasn't pushing JonBenet into the pageants; she was. But in no way was JonBenet a shoo-in for any further titles. Somehow, if she'd lived, I have the feeling she'd have stopped doing pageants long before Patsy would have wanted her to.

What nerve to claim that JonBenet is America's Princess Diana! :bsflag:

3. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Just Musing...

I wonder what JonBenet would think about Honey Boo Boo.

I know Patsy would be as jealous as heck of June.

Sugar Bear is twice the man that John Ramsey could ever be.

4. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Oh my goodness Lurker! You sure got me laughing on that one. Yes that whole family is very cartoon-like in may ways but they show love to each other and are a family. I love the chicken as a pet! LOL

5. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

lmao!!!

6. heymom

heymom Member

But with less than half the teeth.

:winko:

7. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Didn't you just love the colors for their commitment ceremony! Camo and bright orange. Somehow it all worked for them. Congratulations to the committed two. Even the chicken got into the act! Heh.

8. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

lmao!

9. cynic

cynic Member

F.B.I. Audit of Database That Indexes DNA Finds Errors in Profiles

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, in a review of a national DNA database, has identified nearly 170 profiles that probably contain errors, some the result of handwriting mistakes or interpretation errors by lab technicians, while New York State authorities have turned up mistakes in DNA profiles in New York’s database.
    The discoveries, submitted by the New York City medical examiner’s office to a state oversight panel, show that the capacity for human error is ever-present, even when it comes to the analysis of DNA evidence, which can take on an aura of infallibility in court, defense lawyers and scientists said.
    The errors identified so far implicate only a tiny fraction of the total DNA profiles in the national database, which holds nearly 13 million profiles, more than 12 million from convicts and suspects, and an additional 527,000 from crime scenes. Still, the disclosure of scores of mistaken DNA profiles at once appears to be unprecedented, scientists said.

[SNIP]

The errors had the effect of obscuring clues, blinding investigators to connections among crime scenes and known offenders. It remains to be seen whether the new DNA evidence will cast doubt on any closed cases.
    Dan Krane, a biology professor at Wright State University, said the disclosure was the government’s clearest acknowledgment to date that “there are mistakes in that database.â€
    The mistakes were discovered in July, when the F.B.I., using improved software, broadened the search parameters used to detect matches. The change, one F.B.I. scientist said, was like upgrading or refining “a spell-check.†In 166 instances, the new search found DNA profiles in the database that were almost identical but conflicted at a single point.
    Alice R. Isenberg, the chief of the biometric analysis section of the F.B.I. Laboratory, said that most of the 166 cases probably resulted from interpretation errors by DNA analysts or typographical errors introduced when a lab worker uploaded the series of numbers denoting a person’s DNA profile.
    “We were pleasantly surprised it was only 166,†Dr. Isenberg said, referring to the number of cases. “We were quite worried it would be much higher than that,†she said. “These are incredibly small numbers for the size of the database.â€

[SNIP]

In two of the errors discovered in the state database, analysts at the city’s medical examiner’s office made mistakes as they tried to discern a DNA profile from raw data, which appears graphically as a series of peaks, somewhat like the record a seismograph produces.
    “These revelations spotlight how human error can detract from the reliability of the testing process,†said Alan Gardner, the head of Legal Aid’s DNA unit, which is challenging the city medical examiner’s methods for discerning DNA profiles in complex mixture cases.
    In court, prosecutors often describe the strength of DNA evidence against a defendant with numbers that can run into the billions — expressing how unlikely it is that a person chosen at random would also have a DNA profile linked to the crime scene. But the rate of errors by a lab or a technician, a less dramatic topic, can be a much more relevant statistic, many defense lawyers and some scientists said.
    “If we say there is a 1-in-10-quadrillion chance that someone else might have the same DNA profile, but there is also a 1-in-10,000 chance that there was a mistake in generating the profile, the only number the jurors should be paying attention to is the error rating, said Dr. Krane, who was once on a forensic science commission for the State of Virginia and now consults with defense lawyers on DNA cases.

[SNIP]

One of the errors involved the analysis of DNA found on a gun that had been handled by several people and used in a shooting in the Bronx in 2010. A man, Marc Outram, was indicted on the basis of eyewitness testimony from a police officer, even though Mr. Outram’s DNA profile was deemed as conflicting with the DNA mixture found on the gun, the authorities said. Following the discovery of an analyst’s error, the authorities again examined the DNA from the gun, this time discerning a different DNA profile. The results again excluded Mr. Outram, and the new DNA profile appeared to match another person in the database.
    Bronx prosecutors plan to drop the case against Mr. Outram, said Steven Reed, a spokesman for the Bronx district attorney’s office, adding that the case was “going to be dismissed for reasons other than the problem with the DNA profile.â€

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/25/n...ndexes-dna-finds-errors-in-profiles.html?_r=0

10. questfortrue

questfortrue Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice