The Keeffes Murdered in Their Home (Pennsylvania)

Discussion in 'Crimes, Trials & Missing Persons' started by LurkerXIV, Nov 24, 2006.

1. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

TOO MANY. I've thought for a long time Birmingham should be investigated.

But, I wonder if some family member killed the Keeffes.

2. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

I hate to think that.

The Keeffes, like the Colgroves, were such upstanding people.

But who knows, whenever a large inheritance is at stake?

3. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Almost a year. Mercy, how time flies!

4. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Jc

I was just thinking about this case. I was on my way to Thanksgiving dinner at my granddaughter's house last year when I heard news of this double murder on the car radio. I was shocked, because it's such a nice safe area where they lived.

Almost a year! It looks like the trail has gone cold, and someone has gotten away with a double homicide.

5. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I'm just wondering, Lurker, do you know if it's being discussed on a topix site?

6. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

I don't think so.

Sadly, this case is far off the radar.

7. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

One Year and No Leads

One Year Later ... Friends, colleagues remember the Keeffes

By AMANDA BAIRD Times Reporter
    Published: Friday, November 16, 2007 11:49 PM CST

On Nov. 17, 2006 David and Carol Keeffe were murdered in their Athens Township home. Today, on the one-year anniversary of their deaths, several of their friends and colleagues offer their memories of the couple and thoughts on the still-unsolved question of who took their lives.

Carol Keeffe was a Valley native and the daughter of local attorney Mike DeSisti, who also passed away within the last year. David Keeffe was an attorney as well and had a well-established practice with his father-in-law.

Sayre Borough Mayor Denny Thomas, who knew the couple for over 25 years, called the Keeffes “great people.â€

“They were just great, wonderful people with big hearts,†he said. “They would do anything for anybody.â€

“They had a great impact in this area because a lot of people went to them for advice,†Thomas continued. “Not just to David for legal advice, but both of them would help you with anything you asked.â€

Attorney Jonathan Foster, who succeeded David Keeffe as president of the Bradford County Bar Association, worked numerous cases both with, and against, Keeffe over the course of 30 years.

“David was always an advocate for the less fortunate,†Foster said. “And he was always trying to educate the public on the role of lawyers in the court sytem.â€

8. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

PA. State Police Not Commenting on the Case

Identity of Keeffes’ killer still a mystery

BY TODD ROGERS
    STAFF WRITER

11/19/2007

One year ago, an unknown person — or persons — entered the isolated Athens Township residence of David and Carol Keeffe and gunned down the couple in cold blood.

Today, state and local investigators are still deeply probing the twin homicides, which occurred on Nov. 17, 2006. The Keeffe’s bodies were discovered two days later, and an autopsy ultimately revealed that the victims had been slain by multiple gunshot wounds to the head.

When recently asked about the status of the case, authorities declined to comment on any tips they received in the months since the slayings occurred. Nor would they give any indication if they are any closer to solving the mystery of who killed David and Carol Keeffe.

State police and local authorities have released few details, and have declined to discuss the case with the media.

“I have been directing all calls to Lt. (Frank) Hacken,†Athens Township Police Chief Larry Hurley said, “It is a co-investigation — we work well together.â€

Hacken is an investigator from the Pennsylvania State Police at the barracks in Wyoming County assigned to the case.

“Unfortunately, there are still aspects of the case that we just can not elaborate on†Hacken said. “This is still a very active on going investigation, and we are doing everything possible.â€

To reach the Keeffe’s home near Moore Road on Sayre Hill, a visitor must turn off the road onto a path nearly hidden by large trees. “No Trespassing†signs are posted at the very end, which discourage unauthorized access. A visitor must then travel along a well-paved driveway, with several speed bumps, to a large white electronic gate operated by a keypad. The only other access to the remote property is by a clear-cut power line that runs up the side of the mountain and crosses the driveway at the gate.

In-coming Bradford County District Attorney Daniel Barrett of Athens, who will take office in January, explained that he is looking forward to working on the case, but he is not familiar enough with the investigation to offer any comment.

“There are certainly a great many people who have worked on the case and know more about the case than I do at this point,†Barrett said.

Barrett explained he is not surprised about the amount of time the homicide investigation has taken. There have been cases in the past of this nature that arrests were made two or sometimes three years after the crime, Barrett said.

Barrett recalled David Keeffe as being a formidable advisory and a capable litigator and does not believe that he can add to the wonderful things that have been said about him.

“There have been so many great things that have been said about Mr. Keeffe,†Barrett explained.

Bradford County District Attorney Stephen Downs, whose office is also involved in the investigation, was unavailable for comment.

Melissa Keeffe, David and Carol Keeffe’s daughter, recently declined to be interviewed by The Review on the case, explaining that she was “uncomfortable talking about it.†However, Melissa Keeffe had previous described her parents as “the foundation of the family.â€

The double homicide stunned and shocked the community, with many wondering who could have performed such an act. Although the authorities have released few details, Dr. W. Scott Thornsley, a professor of criminal justice at Mansfield University, previously informed The Review that it is his opinion the Keeffes probably knew the identity of their killer, or killers.

“The more overkill the murder is, the more personal the crime has become for the killer,†Thornsley previously explained. “Only a small percentage of murders in the United States are carried out by strangers.â€

A $50,000 reward has been offered by the law firm of Desisti and Keeffe along with $70,000 by the Bradford County Bar Association of which David Keeffe was president at the time of his death for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the killer. In addition, authorities are still soliciting tips from the public. Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Pennsylvania State Police at (570) 256-2186, the Athens Township Police at (570) 888-2200 or Crime Stoppers at 800-4PA-TIPS.

©Daily and Sunday Review 2007

9. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Bittersweet Article: The Keeffe Fund

Keeffe fund entertains students

BY TIFFANY PEDEN

STAFF WRITER

Published: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:19 AM EDT

ATHENS — The Sayre Chapter UNICO entertained around 450 special needs students on Tuesday at the Athens Area High School with a performance by The Galumphas, a dance and acrobatic group that performs world-wide.

The money to fund the performance came from the David and Carol Keeffe fund, said Tom Witmer, a Sayre UNICO member.

“David and Carol Keeffe were lovers of the arts,†Witmer said. “This is a special fund to let special needs kids in the Valley share that love.â€

The special needs students were from the three Valley school districts: Athens, Sayre and Waverly.

All the students in the Athens High School auditorium watched and cheered as the Galumphas, a group of two men and one woman, performed numerous dances showing rhythm, emotion, imitation, and acrobatic skill.

Witmer said the event was a first-time endeavor, though one that he said would become an annual event.

He said they would continue to get performers to come to entertain the special needs students around this time of year through the David and Carol Keeffe fund.

“It’s just a lot of fun,†Witmer said. “It’s what UNICO does.â€

The Sayre chapter of UNICO was formed in 1967, and its goal is to raise funds to benefit those with special needs, according to a Sayre UNICO history.

“Since our inception, the Sayre Chapter has raised and given away about $350,000 to the physically and mentally handicapped people of our Valley, and scholarships,†the history stated.

10. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Sounds to me like they've given up, Lurker. I hope I'm wrong.

11. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

12. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I was looking at the threads which were being viewed, and this one showed up several times.

I wonder who it was who wanted the Keeffes dead, Lurker, and what it was they had to gain from it.

So much time has passed, it seems as if authorities could divulge something now. I don't see what it would hurt.

13. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Jc

The case has gone ice cold.

I hope someone, somewhere revives it. Maybe some retired State Police Trooper will find time on his hands and get the casefile out of mothballs.

14. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Keeffe Murderer Charged!!!

A man from New York state has been charged with the deadly shooting of an attorney in Bradford County and his wife.

State police announced the arrest of John DeSisti, 73, of Waverly, New York. He is charged with killing David Keefe, 56, and his wife, Carol, 60. They were found shot to death in their home near Sayre in November, 2006.

Police said the Keefes were ambushed in their garage after returning home from an outing.

At the time of the killings, state police said they did not consider the murders a random act. "Most homicides are committed by people who know each other. There was some kind of interaction with those who did this and the victims. We have to determine that interaction," said Pennsylvania State Police Lieutenant Frank Hacken in November, 2006..

State police said Wednesday the Keefes and DeSisti were involved in a long-standing property dispute.

David Keefe had a law firm in Sayre, which offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction.

Newswatch 16 has a crew working on this developing story and will have more information

15. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

16. Elle

Elle Member

What a sad state of affairs, Lurker. Oh my goodness, this is the second murder we have heard of being solved within a few days of each other Everything happens in threes, they say(?). Will be hear of a third one this week?

17. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

18. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Thanks so much for the updates Lurker!!! :reporter:

19. Elle

Elle Member

This had to be a murder of family hatred, Lurker. Why would an old guy in his 70's carry out such a horrendous murder on his cousin and husband? Too many guns around!

20. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Oh, my, Lurker!

That's some good news to read first thing this morning!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice