Mary Lacy Wants To Set A Cold-Blooded Murderer Free Because "It's The Right Thing To Do"

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Little, Apr 9, 2008.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Last month!!!

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/jun/23/public-defender-cary-lacklen-remembered-ferocious-/

"Defense attorneys and prosecutors in Boulder and across the state have been left reeling by the death last weekend of Cary Lacklen, a lawyer who served for more than three decades in the public defender’s office."

"Prosecutors who spent decades battling Lacklen in court praised him on Monday. Prosecutor Pete Maguire called Lacklen “a ferocious advocate.†Boulder County District Attorney Mary Lacy called him “incredibly honest and hard-working.â€

Just this spring, Lacy worked with Lacklen to help move John Engel, a 21-year-old man convicted of killing his adoptive mother and grandmother at age 14, out of prison and into a halfway house.

“He had a lot to do with the system coming together and working for John Engel to help make him a productive member of the community,†Lacy said."

"Lacklen, 57, was found dead on Saturday in his Boulder home. Boulder County Coroner Tom Faure determined the cause of death was suicide."

:eek:
    Thanks to Tez for the Heads-Up on this one!

2. RiverRat

3. RiverRat

Okay........add another Bus Victim to the list!

http://www.acandyrose.com/s-kevin-raburn.htm

"When I was booked in Boulder, I got a public defender, Cary Lacklen. He said to me, “You know something or you know somebody.â€

“I know nothing,†I told him. “They ain’t got nothing on me. I got my felony and my bike theft.â€

4. Tez

Tez Member

Hey guys! When I came across news of Lacklen's apparent suicide, I really didn't think much of it. Then, when the news about the Ramseys being "cleared," I got suspicious. I remember he was mentioned in "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town" as Rayburn's lawyer. But, I didn't know he was J.T's lawyer. His fingerprints are all over this case. Plus, he and Lacy were buddies. Something just isn't right. Not sure what it is, but there is something there.

Hopefully, I can post now for awhile.

5. heymom

heymom Member

Welcome back, Tez! Good to "see" ya!

6. Tez

Tez Member

Thanks! I think I have my internet fixed now. And my computer. It's great to be back!

Has anyone been able to dig up how Lacklen died? Meaning, what method did he use to kill himself?

7. RiverRat

I tried, Tez, but nada. Nothing on the reason why he committed suicide, which is bugging the snot out of me!

8. Tez

Tez Member

I can't find anything either, and it's bothering me too. The timing especially. Isn't it standard procedure to list the way the victim committed suicide somewhere? None of the articles I have read have said one word on the method, just that the coroner determined it was suicide. Well, what if it wasn't?????

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

There are other "suicides" that weren't, I am sure. Marilyn Monroe is one that sticks in my mind after reading HER autopsy reports.

10. Little

Little Member

"Still, Engel's adoptive father, Tom Engel, has told the court he’s concerned that enforcement of his son's probation could relax in the future and create an "opportunity for us to be revictimized." Family members today said they’re very worried for their safety, and they’re sure Engel will violate the terms of his probation and go back to prison."

I still think that Mary Lacy should put her house where her mouth is and invite this poor, misunderstood kid to come live with her :)

Read entire article here: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/jul/18/double-killer-halfway-house/

11. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

I agree with you here Little...let her see how safe she feels around him, and then determine if it is right to release him back in to society.

Maybe she should take a poll of her neighbors and see how comfortable they would feel living next door to this person.

12. RiverRat

From same article

"John Reinschmidt, whose sister and mother were killed by Engel, said his family isn’t happy about the young man’s release and they expect he’ll do something to land back behind bars. Reinschmidt said he hopes the 1999 killings were a “one-time thing.â€

“But I think he’s pretty messed up,†he said.

At the April hearing when Engel was released from prison, Engel’s adoptive father, Tom Engel, told a judge he’s concerned for his safety.

“I love him, but I detest what he did,†Tom Engel said. “I don’t trust my son.â€

Mental health professionals have testified that Engel is a changed man, who was driven to kill by a mental illness that was undiagnosed and untreated. Experts said Engel — who’s been helped by therapy, medication, education and maturity — is better off leaving prison sooner than later based on the treatment available in community-based programs versus those in prison."

I will not be surprised when Mary Lacy's hands will be covered in the future with blood.

13. Little

Little Member

Yep, fine asset to the community

So much for this fine young man being an asset to the community!

14. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

"Community corrections is hard," Glowinsky said at the sentence-reconsideration hearing. "They're watching everything."

So...a man who murdered 2 people who loved and cared for him, attempting to murder a third, in a very violent attack...was given probation 7 years later because "DNA" Lacy thought he deserved a second chance....

To give him that second chance, he has to be watched day and night, given all kinds of state help and treatment and monitoring....

And even then, he violated his parole within three months.

Well, maybe he murdered a couple of more people while he was out and that will give Lazy the opportunity to send HIM an exoneration letter so she can help turn yet ANOTHER killer on the public--again--before she leaves office.

15. RiverRat

Everyone look shocked over this news...........just for laughs, of course.

16. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Hey, at least Lacy kept her record pristine...all wrong...all the time!

17. Elle

Elle Member

Just came across this DD. I believe Marylin Munroe was murdered from all that I've read.

18. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

You are kidding me right? Exaggerating...being facetious? This isn't for real surely?

19. RiverRat

You better go back to the first page of this thread, My Dear......this is all real. :steamed:

20. Little

Little Member

One more chance for the murderer - how Mary

Murderer to get another chance at halfway house
    By Vanessa Miller (Contact)
    Originally published 04:33 p.m., December 15, 2008
    Updated 04:33 p.m., December 15, 2008
    A double-murderer who was released from prison and sent to a Boulder halfway house in July violated several technical rules of his probation and has been sentenced to spend 90 days in jail, according to a motion filed with the Boulder County District Attorney's Office.

John C. Engel's violations were not enough to warrant he be sent back to prison, and he's expected to return to the halfway house in January, said Greg Brown, chief probation officer for the 20th Judicial District.

Engel, 22, was arrested in October on suspicion of violating the conditions of both his community corrections sentence and probation, and officers have spent the past few weeks investigating the allegations.

They determined Engel committed technical violations like failing to sign in and making unapproved stops between one location and another.

Brown said Engel has to serve time for those mistakes, but prosecutors, defense attorneys and a judge agreed to give him a second chance.

At age 14, Engel — who experts said had a severe and untreated mental illness — used a hammer and knife to kill his adoptive mother, Mary Elizabeth Reinschmidt-Engel, and her mother, Catherine Reinschmidt, on Dec. 11, 1999, in the family's Longmont home. Engel also tried, unsuccessfully, to kill his father, Tom Engel.

The teenager pleaded guilty to the killings in 2001 and was given a seven-year sentence at a juvenile corrections facility that was to be followed by 32 years in prison, after he turned 21. Instead, he was ordered in April to finish his sentence under "intensive supervision" in a community-based program and was placed on lifetime probation.

He started that new sentence with a 60-day "transition" period at the jail before being moved to the halfway house in July. Engel was arrested on the violations in October.

According to the court motion regarding Engel's violations, family members of the victims disagree with the court's decision to give him a second chance.

"It should be noted that the victim's family members would be recommending that Mr. Engel be transferred to (prison)," according to the motion.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/dec/15/murderer-get-another-chance-halfway-house/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice