BOOK DISCUSSION - The Murder Business - by Mark Fuhrman

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Moab, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Ok kiddos...here ya go...discuss away!

2. Tez

Tez Member

First, thank you for the thread. This book was an excellent read.

One of the things that stood out to me was a quote by MF about Drew Peterson. It is found on page 45. "He's got personality disorders they don't have a name for yet." I laughed when I read that, because I believe it's true. Drew is a special piece of work.

I will post more later. I need to take some notes with page numbers.

I will say the JonBenet chapter also got my full attention. There are some great quotes there too!!!

Again, thank you DeeDee for sharing your book!

3. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Yes, thank you, DeeDee, for your generosity in sharing your book with us.

I look forward to everyone's observations.

I will say that the book surprised me. I didn't really know what to expect, but since it's really about the impact and problems with 24/7 media in criminal investigation, it wasn't your run of the mill case by case description of crimes and criminals.

I enjoyed Furhman's insights into "behind the scenes" stuff. I could relate a lot of that to what went on in the JonBenet investigation and media, as well.

But when I got to the chapters about the OJ investigation and trial, my jaw hit the floor. I can't believe they haven't been talking about this on the crime talk shows. Or maybe they have and I missed it. Now we know why the prosecution failed miserably. Not that they would have been able to get a conviction anyway, but that "uncollected" bloody fingerprint was the smoking gun and the lead detectives completely missed it because they were star struck.

Sound familiar?

4. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

colorado professor

I wonder what a certain professor in Colorado thinks about this book since he claims to be all about the media and crime. I wonder what he thinks but do I really care? Nah..........

5. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

Chapter 6

After reading the chapter about JBR I was a little disappointed because there didn't seem to be much new we didn't already know. His source is Steve Thomas so he was very accurate.
    I thought the part about the Kitty game was amusing and maybe it's just me, but it seemed Patsy's semi-question about if he didn't like the kitty seemed nasty to me.:shamed:

6. Elle

Elle Member

I sent away for Mark Fuhrman's book and look forward to finding out what you are all talking about. [​IMG] I hate to be left in the dark, but I need to have the book on hand so that I can refer to it any time I feel like it. I'm not into reading books as much as I used to. I was a good bedtime reader for years, but I don't read in bed any more. I must be growing older, or something (?). :) My husband pows his way through books I just can't be bothered any more. I need to be involved with hands on exciting gadgets. The one I'm involved with right now is a PanDigital photo player. This is keeping me busy!

7. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Maybe we all thought this was going to be the same kind of book as the others on the case, cause I felt the same as you on the JBR chapter...what was there was great, but not new. I really think his frame-of-reference on this one was how the media acts and reacts to all these different cases, and how they can actually derail a case as in the Casey Anthony case, or make the case take on a life of its own as the JBR one did.

8. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

I guess when I read it I wasn't too hopeful about there being any real bombshell being dropped. But I did want to hear his point of view. It was expected, but I was still happy to read that he felt as many of us do. It was reaffirming to read.

9. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

No DeeDee, I am glad you brought it to our attention...just because it wasn't like his others, doesn't mean it wasn't good...I thought it was an excellent book!

10. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

OJ case

I thought the chapter on OJ was the best because he was so involved and knew a lot about the inner workings of the investigation. The finger print was a bombshell! I wonder if those involved in not collecting that piece of evidence take ownership of their mistake in their own minds or if they try to believe it was someone else's fault. I think the knowledge that you screwed up that bad would be hard to live with. If it were me, it would be on my conscience for a looonnnggg time.

Thanks for bringing the discussion of this book here. I hope more people will jump in. It is good to read that Mark Fuhrman upholds what we all thought was true - that JBR's murder was an inside job, the DA's office interfered with the police investigation and not only that, actually destroyed a lot of the investigation and ruined any chance of prosecuting it.

11. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

I got and read the book in one day. I read the JBR chapter first. Even though there may not have been anything new for those of us who know the case inside and out, there are others who haven't followed the JBR case in depth who may indeed learn something new. Also, it is still good to read the same old thing from an experienced detective who knows the evidence in the case as opposed to Smit who had to invent crazy scenarios to go with his invented "evidence" that wasn't.

I get really tired of reading the IDI propaganda. Perhaps those people really do believe the things they write, but forgive me if I then have to label them as really, really stupid - not because they have formed a different opinion than I but because their erroneous conclusions and lack of knowledge of the very things they espouse to know reveal both their lack of reasoning abilities and ignorance of how the evidence has be tied conclusively to the crime instead of maybes, could haves, might have beens, blah blah.

Perhaps that makes me arrogant, but I don't really care what it makes me. I know common sense when I hear it, and I've yet to see any IDI make sense about much of anything.

Add in the mentally defunct and morally corrupt posters who live only to stir the pot and call attention to themselves - we all know who they are - and you have a conglomeration of IDI misfits, IQ-challenged know-it-alls who drive authorities crazy with their foolishness.

So, old news or not, it is still refreshing to read something intelligent as opposed to the same old BS the IDI try to feed us.

12. Elle

Elle Member

In other words, Moab, I'm going to read what I have read before (?). Fuhrman has definitely hit it on the head as to how the media acts and reacts to all these different cases, and how they can actually derail a case. We have all seen examples of this. It will be a good book to browse through at leisure. I'm in no rush! It might get me back into the reading habit. I do enjoy reading here on my computer! :)

It was nice of you Dee Dee to offer your book to other posters. I have never heard of anyone else ever doing something like this. Thank you for offering it to me too, but the next person to receive it would have to wait until next Christmas. [​IMG]

13. Elle

Elle Member

Well said about the IDI crowd WY!

You read the book in one day!? For sure you and my husband are exactly alike. Incredible!

14. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

You are very welcome, Elle. I was happy to offer the book, especially to the posters here. I don't know if I'd do the same over at WS.
    I do get tired of the constant badgering by 2 or 3 rabid IDI posters. They are an very VOCAL minority and they have a "the sky is red" attitude. All they have to do is look up to see that the sky is blue. They look up and tell you how wrong you are- they can plainly see the sky is red.

15. Elle

Elle Member

When I was first involved with the JonBenét case on the net, I will admit to having posted a few times elsewhere, DeeDee, but I just wouldn't have the patience to deal with those IDI posters I keep hearing about. They cannot handle a reasonable discussion without insults.

16. koldkase

:floor: I know exactly what you mean, and it's funny how we old ladies are jumping into the electronic ocean! Moab always has some kind of new thingie. I just discovered Music DJ on my cell phone, where you can actually put together infinite combinations of canned "electronic" instruments. I'm a TECHNO GENIUS! ha ha

You'll enjoy Furhman's book, though, because he's to the point about some interesting cases we've all followed through the years. It's a quick read, too.

I also agree with others that the OJ chapters are entralling. I almost hated to send the book forward, because I thought for a minute that the "powers-that-be" would never let this story be told and so the books will somehow disappear. ha ha Boulder really has ruined me for ever trusting any DA again.

17. koldkase

I didn't expect much in the JB case chapter, mostly because I know Furhman hasn't focused on this case. Why would he? He'd be sued by the Ramseys if he wrote a book about it and told the truth, of course. The Ramseys don't allow the truth to be told. I was actually shocked that Furhman wrote what he did about the case.

Furhman's confirmation that Hunter blew the case by obstructing the most fundamental protocol of criminal investigation was good to see in print--again. I'll believe to the day I die Hunter knew exactly what he was doing and meant for the outcome to be exactly what it has been.

Having said this, and being anal retentive, I wish Furhman had a better fact checker for the JB chapter, as he did get a few details of the case wrong. I know, I know...but after all the years we've spent nailing the evidence down in this case it always bothers me to see simple details missed.

But as I said, the parts that told me more about the JB investigation were actually in OTHER chapters: how LE conducts interviews/interrogations with suspects, for example. Applying what Furhman said to the interviews with John and Patsy, the way LE went about it is clearer now. Although I still think they blew it by not asking the right follow up questions and interrupting Patsy over and over, leading her answers too often, as well. JUST LET HER ANSWER THE QUESTION, I always end up shouting at the transcript. :banghead:

18. Elle

Elle Member

This is good to know KK. I wish I was more in the same age group as the rest of you, but I'm stuck in this older groove.

I have a little mp3player, so I don't need the cell phone music. I actually hate my cell phone because we only bought it for emergencies. I like taking photos with it. It has a bigger screen than my digital camera. I'm struggling with a new TV digital box and using three remotes related to the TV and DVD player. I also have migraine headaches.

I am keen to hear what Fuhrman has to say about other cases. For sure my husband will read it too and then I will hear his thoughts and be able to have a personal discussion. I just wish Christmas would go away for the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice