The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie - The Book

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Cranberry, Nov 24, 2006.

1. rashomon

rashomon Member

Parents who consider their children as objects are not necessarily psychotic.
    Also, Patsy was very much rooted in reality imo. In the very superficial reality of pageants and a perfect glamorous facade which she wanted to present to the outside world.
    And when on that tragic night, Patsy knew that the facade was going to collapse in public if she admitted to having killed JonBenet in a rage, she went into panic mode and staged a scene.
    Do you have children, BM? Countless parents refer to their children as 'little angels'. My own father used to call me that too when I was small. It is just an affectionate name for the child.

Millions of parents who have lost their children and believe there is a heaven say this, Paradox.
    Patsy presented herself as innocent in public, and imo said what she thought millions of other people would be able to relate to.
    Imo Patsy's motive was to save her hide, which is why she chose to cover up the crime.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. rashomon

rashomon Member

But how could Patsy think the murder of her child would bring other people closer to God?

3. rashomon

rashomon Member

What exactly did Patsy "repress" in your opinion? And how did she get John to participate in the cover-up? Remember that fibers from his shirt were found in the crotch of the size 12 underwear in which JonBenet was dressed.

4. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

That would be the crime of playing God and killing her daughter, just like I said in the above post which you sort of read I assume.

She didn't.

So you think the shirt did it? You're an SDI'er?

5. rashomon

rashomon Member

Those pesky fibers

Don't wriggle out of an answer, Paradox. You know that fibers can't commit crimes, but suspects who have left them behind in incriminating locations may have committed them.
    Fibers from Patsy's jacket as well as fibers from John's shirt were found in incriminating locations connected to JonBenet's homicide. There is no way around that. Any theory has to explain the evidence, for if evidence which doesn't suit the theory is simply ignored, this theory won't have enough evidentiary legs to stand on and will collapse if scrutinized more closely.

So again my question: how do you explain John's shirt fibers in the crotch of JonBenet's size 12 underwear?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  6. heymom

heymom Member

And I believe it was ONLY John's shirt fibers that were found in the crotch area, right? Not Patsy's jacket or shirt? Of course, they never turned in the actual clothing they had on that night, only new items that matched, sort of...

7. rashomon

rashomon Member

John's shirt fibers

No fibers matching Patsy's jacket were found in the crotch of the size 12 underwear, only black fibers consistent with those from the shirt John had been wearing to the Whites' party.

Dark navy blue cotton fibers resembling those of a washcloth could be found in the vagina. Which could indicate the body had been wiped down. The source of those fibers could not be found.

Forensic fiber analysis is conducted very thoroughly, based on highly developed scientific methods.
    The black wool shirt John Ramsey handed in later had been manufactured in Israel, and the fibers found in the crotch area of the JonBenet's underwear matched the fibers of this shirt.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  8. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Mind your manners, Paradox. Though that is really funny...I don't want to encourage your pyrate behavior. :pirate:

But your argument is very inconsistent on the "psychosis" of Patsy and you must know it.

9. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

No, I don't know it. What are you talking about?

10. Elle

Elle Member

Correction to my post (Elle) :)

I was browsing through this thread again and noticed I had stated "movie" instead of "book" and there was no visible edit button to correct it, so I'm changing it with a reply :) Elle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prime_of_Miss_Jean_Brodie

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is a novella by Muriel Spark, appearing first in The New Yorker and later published by Macmillan in 1961. By far the best-known of her books, the bizarre, unforgettable character of Miss Jean Brodie helped make Spark internationally famous and a leading figure in modern Scottish literature.
    It was adapted into a stage play in 1968, a film starring Maggie Smith in 1969, and a TV serial in 1978.

11. Cranberry

Cranberry Member

12. Elle

Elle Member

Hello there, Cranberry! Welcome back! Do you have something else to tell us about this book and movie ... "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?"

13. heymom

heymom Member

Watched the movie this afternoon

and my! it was strange! Of course I'm sure the book went into much greater detail, it was only a 2 hour movie. No pineapples and cream showed up!

But one of the things that stood out for me was the scene where the Headmistress is confronting Jean Brodie with the letter that Sandy and Jenny wrote in the library. Brodie does some amateur handwriting analysis right there - saying it was obviously written by 2 different hands, and that they were 12 and not 9 when it was written.

It's a very strange movie, I don't know exactly what to call it - there were a couple of somewhat comic moments but it the end I wouldn't call it entertaining.

14. Elle

Elle Member

I can understand why you say this, heymom. To each his own! I would think it would be more enjoyable to the Brits, especially the Scots. There is so much more than just the movie itself when one sees a cobbled street or hill which one walked on many years ago, including the large stone buildings etc. This plus the familiarity of the school uniforms etc., etc., etc.

I thoroughly enjoyed the session here. I never read the book either. Saw the movie on the big screen many years ago and I also have the DVD.

15. heymom

heymom Member

After going through most of this thread last night, I think the movie was very different from the book! The girls' characters are changed around in the movie - the wealthy girl was an orphan, Mary McGregor, who had a stammering problem but was never ridiculed by Brodie or Sandy. In fact she was new to the school but was immediately included in "the Brodie set." The girl named Jenny is the pretty one that Brodie selects to be her proxy with the art teacher. Miss McKay is much older than Brodie.

I take it that the movie was adapted from the play and not the book.

From the moment Maggie Smith opened her mouth, I thought of Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doubtfire." He sounded as if he were doing Maggie Smith playing Jean Brodie. :) An older Jean Brodie of course, but still...

16. Elle

Elle Member

I would say you went through this thread very thoroughly heymom. I did think the movie was different from the book and posted my thoughts. It was nice to see Mary McGregor was accepted into "the Brodie Set" in spite of her stammering. I couldn't stop laughing in the movie theatre when I first heard Mary McGregor saying to her pals. "I saw them k-k-kissing!"

I, on the other hand couldn't stand Robin Williams in this part as a Scottish housekeeper for Sally Fields ( his wife) in this movie :) To me it was overdone! However, I think I have the right to say this with my Scottish Irish background. :)

Maggie Smith won the Oscar for playing Jean Brodie in 1969.

I think I would have had a great time if I had had a teacher like Miss Jean Brodie. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksetfly1pZs

17. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

John is unwittingly talking about Patsy who was about to turn 40 years old in a few days on 29 Dec.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice