Yana Huss Murder Case and Memorial Fund

Discussion in 'Yana Huss' started by ACandyRose, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Elle

Elle Member

Your young friend is also a very lovely girl like yourself, RR. I wish her all the best in becoming an Attorney some day. It is so nice to see two young women giving their time to such a tragic case like this, like you both have here for Yana and her family.

:wave:For RiverRat's friend! :) Thank you for your support for Yana!

2. ACandyRose

ACandyRose Super Moderator

If I can, what's the request?

ACR

3. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Just to accept a Hug from MANY and a Huge Thank You for the time you've put in updating your page for Yana~I was very overwhelmed at your devotion at documenting this case from Start to Finish. There was not one day last week that I did not hear the words "ACandyRose" spoken outloud by people in the courtroom and I wanted to make sure that you were made aware of that!

As you know, we had the documents all along...but to see the actual photos of the FootPrints left me rather ill, but when I saw Yana as she was found, I bounced right back with renewed strength. Petir did such a Perfect Job of Putting this Monster where he belongs...at 8 years old, my Little Man knew to tell the Real Story so that Scott would go to jail for what he did to his Mommy. His words that what he saw that morning was "glued to my eyes" will haunt me forever, but I hope & pray that he is seeing a new World now.

For YOU :rose::rose::rose::rose:

For Scott :punk:

Much Love,
    RR 2010

4. RiverRat

Thank You! There were more than just the two of us during the week, but at that late hour, we were the only ones fortunate to be able to stay until the very end...and Yes, my sweet young friend is going Places! I will be watching her proudly!

5. Elle

Elle Member

Joining RiverRat in her praise for ACR! Thank you ACR for all you have done over the years for helping many people. :rose:

6. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

There is only one ACandyRose, and we've been very privileged to know you and benefit from your generosity all these years, ACR.

So glad to hear that the legal and media communities have access to her brilliance, as well.

7. ACandyRose

ACandyRose Super Moderator

You're more than welcome RiverRat [​IMG]

Thank you, although I'm surprised, I didn't think anybody else local following Yana's case knew about my site. I'm so happy that there was justice for Yana and her children. Bless their hearts, I pray both children can now get some closure and know that other people cared.

To be honest, I was beginning to think 3-1/2 years was a long time waiting and that Scott was never going to trial. I have other cases I'm documenting that are now hitting the 2-3 year mark (not counting JonBenet at 14 years!) and this was a renewed hope that there will be justice in those cases also.

Thank you for being there for Yana and her children. [​IMG]

ACR

8. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

I totally agree!
    For ACR...
    :cheering:

9. RiverRat

Surprise, Suprise..NOT!

PUNTA GORDA — A local man convicted earlier this month of fatally stabbing his estranged wife wants a new trial, claiming the inclusion of the videotaped testimony of a key state witness should have been scrutinized further before it was played for jurors.

Scott Huss was found guilty Dec. 3 of seconddegree murder in the 2007 death of Yana Huss. The Russian-born woman was killed on April 25, 2007. She was 31.

Scott Huss is slated to be sentenced next month. Prosecutors plan to seek the maximum penalty — life in prison.

In a motion filed last week, defense attorney Thomas Marryott argues that his client was prejudiced by the use of the deposition testimony of Yana’s young son, Petir Shalin.

The then- 8-year-old boy told investigators that he saw Scott Huss — his thenstepfather — stab his mother while she was in the laundry room of the family’s former Rickover Street home in Port Charlotte.

Petir resides with his maternal grandmother in his native Russia. He did not attend Scott Huss’ trial earlier this month.

Instead, prosecutors played the boy’s videotaped deposition, which was taken six months after his mother’s death, at trial.

The state procured Petir’s October 2007 deposition in case he was unable to return to testify in person, according to court records. While Petir’s grandmother initially agreed to fly back with her grandson for trial, their cooperation ceased as the case became mired in multiple delays and continuances.

The defense claims in its motion for a new trial that prosecutors did not properly show that Petir was “unavailable for trial.â€

The use of the videotaped testimony rather than “in-person testimony†was prejudicial against Scott Huss, the motion states.

Marryott also argues that a new trial is warranted because the defense was “prevented from introducing evidence of the involvement of the Russian underground as part of its theory of defense,†the motion states.

Defense expert John Sampson, a former investigator with the U.S. Department of Immigration of Customs Enforcement and Homeland Security, was limited in his testimony in trying to link the Russian mafia to Yana’s death."

10. RiverRat

Nothing like Breaking a Mother's Heart AGAIN and ruining Christmas, You Grinches!!!

11. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

WTF???

They want do-overs because they lost? Where's my Glock!

12. Elle

Elle Member

Oh no! Surely they are up the creek asking for a "new trial" RR?

13. RiverRat

It's Very True...

I knew in my heart that this would happen, but pushed it aside during the trial. after witnessing the intentional PAIN that Scott inflicted on his own biological children, there's no way he was going to leave Petir be.

Judge D has been transferred and the Huss Sentencing will be his last case in Charlotte County. I am hanging my hopes on him shooting down this Motion before he leaves this Bench.

RR

14. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Just because you don't like the decision, doesn't mean you get to have a do-over! What an A-hole!

15. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Me, too! Grrrrrrrr. This makes me so mad, but I'm not surprised Scott is going for an appeal. The appeal premises are very flimsy, but of course, he'll try anything to keep from paying the consequences of what he did. Textbook sociopath.

16. RiverRat

Thank You, My Friends...

The FIRST thing that Marryott did after Scott was pronounced GUILTY was to enter on record that he would be filing an appeal - standard I know...but I guess I should appreciate the fact that he didn't say then on what grounds so that we could Celebrate The Verdict, but I knew why...after the multiple delays and cancelled travel arrangements, the emotions Yana's family had to face because it Was Time only to be informed at the last minute that another excuse provided another delay - well - it took it's Toll...even I did not believe that the Trial was actually going to Go when it finally did!!!

I refuse to believe that this is going to change the Verdict and I am eagerly awaiting Sentencing Day! :jumpie:

Justice for Yana & Family~
    RR

17. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Dear Ratty,

Oh, I so hope so too! :highfive:

18. koldkase

While we know our legal system is full of more holes than a rusty colander, I believe this "appeal" issue is not going to amount to much. Y'all do know attorneys get paid for working, right? Filing an appeal is par for the course. Notifying the court he would be doing so was standard procedure for Scott's attorney, because if you don't get it into the record that limits your ability to do so--for some reason I can't remember.

The video testimony is solid. There is legal precedent, for one thing. I don't think Scott's attorney is going to be able to overturn that when he's the one who caused all the delays in the trial date to start with.

But as I've said before, there is plenty of evidence to convict Scott without the child's testimony. So an appeal court is going to look at that, as well. Trials aren't cheap. Unless there is some actual legal issue which took place during trial, one that doesn't have a solid precedent, it would be shocking to see an appellate court overturn the conviction of a man whose own children testified against him, giving damning evidence that proved, along with all the forensic evidence, beyond any doubt that he committed the crime.

Appellate courts do not like to overturn lower court verdicts. Really, they don't. But especially when there is a cold-blooded killer wasting everyone's time because, coward that he is, he isn't man enough to stand up and tell the truth and admit to his own murderous rage.

I don't see this appeal going anywhere for this repulsive waste of space.

19. Elle

Elle Member

I was wondering this too RR and KK(?). I left PayPal a long time ago. I had such a run around with them.

20. koldkase

Oh, Elle, how kind of you to ask, but you may not have noticed the fundraising took place back in 2007. Yana's mother and children have gone back to Russia now. Some generous people helped them out and all was taken care of, so that is all over.

Again, thanks for asking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice